You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: She's Come Home

Real Ghost Stories

She's Come Home

 

This sighting happened in Charlotte, NC on Ellington St. in an old duplex that my some friends rented. It wasn't on the best side of the town, but it was safe and everyone within range knew each other and took care of one another. The place wasn't much to look at.

At the last minute, my ex and I were asked to house sit. We didn't mind because we'd have the place to ourselves and we were very comfortable being there, so we agreed.

We arrived later in the evening, enough time to just get ready for bed. I had just finished taking a shower and came into the room that we were going to spend the night in. It was around 11pm or closer to 12am, and it was no longer than 20 minutes from the time that I came into the room to situate myself that we heard the window open from the other bedroom. This was a duplex, a small one at that if you could imagine a big square box with 4 little boxes inside as the bedrooms, living room and kitchen and a small little bathroom that split between the 4 boxed rooms. The bedrooms shared a wall and the windows were adjacent to one another. What we heard what quite clear, loud and obvious-the window was shut.

Did someone just break in? We're we being robbed? We stood still in place and waited to see what would happen. If we could hear them, they sure can heck hear us. I muffled the words, "go get something". I wanted to prepare ourselves with what and who we had to face and I didn't want to be empty handed.

Because I had just come into to the room after the shower, I hadn't had the chance to close the door behind. I panicked even more so because now they could see us! They couldn't possibly think the place was unoccupied. Our car is outside plus, we had the lights on. Who ever it was had the upper hand. They knew what they were getting themselves into.

We heard walking, the floor creaking and the sound of a pants dragging on the floor. Since we were on the bad side of town, we assume naturally. Maybe a homeless guy who needed a place to stay, or someone running and broke in to get away.

I than started to move to reach for another object and moved closer to the door because I want to be there and not for them to be in here, cornering us in a small bedroom. My ex then quickly blocked my way and told me to stay behind. I was scared either way, for him, for me! The walking stopped. We stood still, waiting. He, my ex, decided to walk outside of the room to let our presence be known, not that it wasn't already obvious. He stayed within sight of me. He came back in to report that there was nothing and no one was out there.

We were confused, scared, and worried. We didn't know how to react now. We started to whisper our thoughts. And we heard the movement starting to back up! Oh my god! I was now near hysterical because he didn't close the door behind him and the door is opened even wider. We both just stared towards the door and there it was or there she was. She couldn't have been more than 10 years old. She was blonde, average height and wearing an all white nightgown that dragged on the floor. She walked right by the room and didn't think twice to look our way.

My ex gathered his thoughts and again told me to wait to see where she goes in the apartment. Maybe she would just leave through the front door. A moment of scare was gone and now we were concerned for this girl. Why is she alone? When we didn't hear the front door open or shut, I made him go follow her to see if she needed help or something. Of course, he hesitated, but he went and came back within a minute to say she was gone. Nothing! No evidence of the door or the back door, or even the kitchen window looked like it was tampered with.

We turned on all the lights by this point and traced every step. We went into the other bedroom and checked it out. The windows were sealed shut and locked. No evidence of robbery or anything out of place.

Needless to say, we fell asleep with all the lights on. We woke up around 6am. We couldn't sleep.

We tried to ration everything. We even talked to the adjoining neighbors and they claim they weren't even home and only just got home. When our friends came back that afternoon, we dare ask them and maybe they could make some sense it what happened to us the night before. The reaction we got was, "oh yeah, she's always here. She doesn't bother us. She keeps to herself. She'll just walk past us and keep on". "What? (You can only imagine what our thoughts were at this point). Are you nuts?! You guys have been living with a little girl ghost and that's it?!"

All in all, this experience that we had may have only been 30 minutes long, but it seem like an eternity when it was happening.

My ex and I have parted since, and I haven't gone back, since it was his friends' place. I've also moved to Smyrna, GA, close to Marietta, another ghost hot spot. I do hope to go back there someday to investigate, but I know other people are living there now.

I hope you have enjoyed my story...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, juno, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
snipestam: We won't allow addresses to be made public. Besides, this member has been inactive for 8 years, so I don't think you'd get an answer anyway.
snipestam1 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Do you remember which Duplex apartment it was please...what's the address because a few of the duplexes on one end of that street have been torn down and only a few of them remain?
snipestam1 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-22)
Hello Juno, I really enjoyed reading your story as I am from and currently live in Charlotte NC. I come back to this page often checking for new clues or news... I am very familiar with the area and neighborhood of which your encounter occurred and I travel on Ellington street everyday to and from work, I work at the county DSS that is a street over from Ellington street. Ever since I first read your story back in 2012, I was always curious of which duplex it was on Ellington street that you had this encounter, but never asked anyone any questions about the history of the homes on the street. For some reason I want to find out what happen to this little girl... I may be wrong but I feel her death is unsolved... I feel she is trying to relay a message as to what happen to her. What if she's buried under that property? I don't know... But it is something maybe she just hadn't crossed over to the other side and needs help but my heart is so sad and I would like to know just the number to the Apartment if possible... Thank You so much and God Bless
juno (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
I forget to mention that this happened about 11 years ago. I was just barely turned 21. I didn't start drinking alcohol until I was 25. I did get drunk once... When I was 15. I've been scared to drink since and still to this day because I was so drunk at 15 I went to my aunt's house only to receive beatings! I thought I was going to my friends house to spend the night... But I was too drunk and made a detour. I learned my lesson. Drinking is bad and getting drunk is detrimental...
juno (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Hi everyone... I accidentally deleted the link to my story. So I wasn't able to respond sooner.

I've never really told this story to anyone, only just to say that I've experienced paranormal. I try not to engage too much in the details when I do speak of it. It still scares me to this day.

When I was typing in this story, I didn't really read through or go over it much because the thought of it, still lingers. I'm sitting here reading your responses, and I still get shivers by your comments. The visuals comes back.

I am very happy to have found a place such as this and have been able to post and share my story without being ridiculed.

She was solid enough to be identified as a young girl, but I knew better to assume the least. She had a certain glow of sort, maybe it was the white gown she wore that reflect what lights. She didn't look at us or turn our way to acknowledge our presence! That was the scariest part! We hoped she looked at us so we can think she is aware, but when she didn't... We confirmed that we were scared sh*tless!



**To answer Rhodes68's comment...

The 30 minutes included from the time we heard the window first open until the time it took us to gather our nerves to find her. There was a good couple minutes paused from the time the window opened. We initially thought that we were hearing things and it was just the neighbors. It was in the summer, so opening windows was the norm. We then heard movement in the room before my ex decided to go searching. Of course he waited until the noise went away. Since I waited in the other room, I really don't know if he even made into the other room. But when he did come back to say he didn't find anything, I took as that. No noise occurred until well after we tried settling back into bed. We thought she knew we were there because she didn't move or make a sound when we started talking to one another. Maybe it was coincidence?



I don't know if around this time she makes an appearance. I do know she's walked around the apt. Quite often. Few of our friends did mention that it was around 4 or 5 am when they first saw her. They didn't believe their eyes because they were drunk. She stood over them and just had a blank stare. They didn't speak to her and just pretended not to see her.

The friends were very comical at one time to give us a scenario when they were singing Karaoke and she manifested and they claim to have sung to her, but still no reaction.

I keep these thoughts so if ever, I do go back to Charlotte, I'd like to visit.

I do feel sorry for her. She does seem lost. I hope she is at peace even if she's here with us.

Thank you once again for reading my story and sharing your comments.

I'm still scared!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Hi and thak you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I believe that the girl that you kept seeing was a residual haunting. Nothing to be affraid of. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
freckle0328 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
I agree with KimSouth; it does sound like a residual haunting. What bothers me more about this is the fact that the people who's house you were staying in didn't let you know beforehand that this has happened before!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
If this little girl walked by the same time every night in the same manner going the same way, it would sound like a residual haunting to me.

Some imprints of energy left on time are very powerful. We may never know why they occur, but a time frame locked in time will repeat itself constantly.

I do hope and prayer that the little girl finads peace.

God Bless!
bigpatti87 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
Well that is kind of scary to go through without knowing but het sometimes those things slip your mind when you are use to them and not realizing your friends might not be. I liked it though and is really a pretty cool experience since the girl didn't seem to care just kind of carried on but I do think she needs guidance and to bad your friend doesn't still live there since this girl definitly needs to know where it is she is and pointed in the right direction. Great story though thanks.

God Bless
Jonathan 😉
darklink13 (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
this is hard to comment on well was anything missing and the jeans could notov be a hobo 😲
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
Hi juno and thanks for your story-I enjoyed reading it!

From your reaction to the girl's appearance (looking around to see where she went or how she could have entered the house), I assume she looked so perfectly solid that you thought, originally at least, she was a real, living person walking in the house, right?

I also have to conlude that since she seemed pretty much unaware of you and your ex's friends, she was a residual haunting but I'm hesitating to say that's the case for sure as "keeping to herself" and "doesn't bother us" doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't know we are here- I have my reservations about whether that was actually the case.

When you say the experience lasted about 30 minute do you include the sounds and footsteps as well or are you referring to the appearance of the girl? Were you seeing her for half an hour?

Thank you

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: