You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Who's In There?

Real Ghost Stories

Who's In There?

 

Like I say in my profile I am in my early 30's and I am a single dad trying to raise my son Cameron.

We used to live in an apartment in a sleazy section of town, until we found a great deal on a rental property in an old residential neighborhood. It was actually less expensive for this 3 bedroom house than for our old 2 bedroom apartment.

I had always needed the extra room for my home office which had previously forced me and Cameron to share a bedroom in the old apartment, now he could have his own room and I could still work out of home allowing me to be there for him.

My bedroom is on the first floor while the second floor houses a long hallway with Cameron's bedroom and then past that my office. The strange things started not even a week after we moved in. I was working late, as I sometimes have to do, and I heard the sound of feet running up the stairs, I went out to tell Cam to settle down and go back to bed but it wasn't him.

There was a little girl in the hall; she looked about Cam's age of 7, maybe a little younger. She had blonde hair done in curls with a bow and she was wearing a dress that looked really fancy but old fashioned, I get the impression like it was something from the 40's, and she was holding a doll that wore a dress just like hers. She didn't take any notice of me and skipped down the hall turning and skipping right through the door into Cam's room!

I cracked open the door and there was cold air like a refrigerator blowing out at me, but no sign of her, Cam seemed to be sleeping soundly so I didn't disturb him.

That weekend Cam was playing in his room and I poked my head in to tell him to come downstairs for lunch, and my heart almost stopped a second. Cam was playing with the same doll I had seen the little girl carrying. I asked him where he got it, and he said he found it. I asked him where and he said "I don't know", I pressed him and he said he just found it he wasn't sure where.

I figured he probably found it in the attic where there were boxes of old stuff from previous owners/tenants, and tried to take it from him. He wouldn't let it go, and started shouting, "It's mine! Give it to me, it's mine!"

I eventually got it away from him and while he was downstairs eating his lunch I put it back in one of the boxes in the attic, which by the way has a pull down staircase and you have to be at least 5 foot to reach the strap.

About a week later I saw him playing with the doll again. Now I know I haven't left the stairs to the attic down since then, I hadn't even been in the attic since I put that damn doll back in its box. And this last part may be my imagination but his hair which has always been dark brown like me and his mother seems to be getting lighter.

Could that little girl be possessing my son?

Other hauntings by LordRhodium

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LordRhodium, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Michiko_Da_Dante-Owner (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-25)
Hmm... I don't think the little girl could be possessing him, but she might be talking to him quite a lot. And him getting a hold of the doll. That might actually be that the little girl is taking it from the attic then letting him play with it, such as a little child would do with a close friend "I'll let you play with it a while, but then you have to give it back to me". I don't think that the little girl could be malicious, but I definitely suggest that you beware of your son and how he's acting.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
Dude, little kids' hair always darkens with age. Your son isn't possessed!
LordRhodium (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-12)
Hi sorry I've been away for a while, I wanted to let people know there have been some developments in the situation and I plan to update as soon as the site allows.
LordRhodium (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Rhodes: Thanks again, I will be keeping an eye out for not only the doll, but strange behavior, so far so good thankfully.

Miyakai: I haven't seen the girl since but I will try to reach out to her if I do. As I said on my other post I am going to try to talk to Cameron today about the girl and the doll.

Maya: Thanks for the encouragement, I talked to the landlord but he says he doesn't know the history of the house, he bought it from his cousin fairly recently.

Hydrodrunk: Those sound like some very good ideas. Depending on the outcome of my talk with him today I might try that assuming the doll doesn't stay in it's box this time.

Darkness: I'll try talking to a priest if I don't get any further with mediums than I have thus far.

Againsarahan: You talk about loss, I want to make sure I am understanding you right, do you think this girl might be developing a connection with my son because of his sense of loss over me and his mother splitting up? As far as somewhere he could stay if I need to have someone come in to examine the house I could do it on the alternating weekends that Cameron goes to see his mother.
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
It may comfort you a bit to know that children's hair often changes shade or color, look at a series of school photos for one kid and you can see big differences. (I mean before they start playing around with it themselves.)
The materialization of the doll and it's reappearance would really frighten me, too, but I think maybe assuming a possession is in progress might feed an attitude of protection and/or defiance in your little boy and maybe the little girl's spirit as well. Doesn't anyone have some experience with helping earthbound spirits get out of here? Do you have trusted relatives or friends your boy could stay with for a while if you could get some help clearing the house? Do you have a counselor or teacher available to coach you on communicating (really, listening effectively) with young children? (My girl just turned twenty. She only recently told me about frightening paranormal evperiences she's had since she was little. I thought I was listening...) To find out why this girl is so important to him you might need to explore other losses in his life. And probably yours, too. Get referenceas for a child psychologist. Tell them flat out you need someone who won't discount a paranormal influence. Please don't think you have to belong to a particular religion to pray, to call for guidance and protection.
GhostStoriesRule1 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
wow...that was a scary story, I hope nothing bad happens and I'm sure that little girl is not trying to hurt you...now, I'm not a proffesional on ghosts but you should probably call those people that know where the ghost might have came from and stuff like that...again, I hope everything goes well... And good luck! ❤ alondra
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
This is really scary. I am sorry you and your son are going through this. Tonith really sounds like he know what he is talking about and I would definitely take his advice. I hope you can get this resolved. ❤ jazz
rjblaze215 (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
this spirit seems like a nice child that wants to play with your son. Even so I suggest you get a priest and bless that house so you can atleese do something for that lost soul. Children don't deserve such things.
DarknessEmbraced (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Everyone has real great advise. You said you aren't religious and you don't know how much help a pastor or chaplain would be willing to help a non-believer. I know a lot of people that have been greatly helped in the time of need that weren't strong on religion or didn't believe at all. They're always there to help no matter what your beliefs are and I think you would be surprised at how much they would help for the sake of you and your son. I'll be checking up on here often and checking on how things are going.

Dan
hydrodrunk (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
If I was you sir the next time your son has this doll just ask, oh so who is your friend. This mite work to find a name if you get a name ask what the last name is. Than if you get a full name than you mite be able to research for this name. So you see where I'm going with this doll mite have the same name as the little girl.

I'm not a expert so don't take my word for it, but I'm sure it's worth a try good luck.
Also if there is nothing else going on in your house you should be fine I would think and if this does not work get a baby cam in the room than you mite get a idea of what is going on or just take a cam that you have go in your sons room when he is playing and take a couple pictures who knows what could be seen in the pictures.
Maya (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
rhodium,
I seriously feel that you should have a talk as soon as possible with your landlord and find out the truth. Meanwhile don't show your anger on your son. He is still young and not matured enough to understand things. Do some prayers. And keep updating the latest things happening thereof.don't lose hope. All problems have a solution.

Regards
Maya
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Actually I don't know where James came from, I meant LordRhodium, sorry!
Miyakai (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Oh, you poor man! This whole situation must be terrifying for you.

Honestly, I have never known anyone that has ever been possessed, but the thought of it is undeniably frightening, especially if it's your son. However, I agree with Tonith - it may not be a possession. Many genetics can result in your son's hair changing color, especially if someone further back in your family (your parents, or Cameron's mother's parents) had light hair. As a personal experience, my mother had light hair while both of her parents had dark hair, my father's side of the family was all dark hair, and mine is a very comfortable medium.

I agree with everyone else here though: Panicking isn't the best way to deal with this. Sure, it's terrifying, but try to be as comfortable and natural around your son as possible. It's obvious that he should know where he found the doll, and he's very likely covering for the girl, whether it's because she's his "friend" or because he thinks you wouldn't believe him if he told you where he found the doll.

I, myself, am not very religious, but I believe that if I were in your situation, I would perhaps still try talking to a priest or pastor, but maybe only after seeing a psychic or medium about what's been going on.

I hope that things resolve themselves for your sake as well as your son's. Keep on your toes, and if you see the girl alone, try asking her where her parents are or if she needs help. Try to reach out to her.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Hi James. That is exactly why I didn't suggest a more drastic reaction-I wanted to first see if the doll would come back in the picture indicating the girl's persistence to have your boy as a mate. Give it time to see if the dolls returns but don't be too trusting meaning, keep your eyes fixed on Cameron. He might not have the doll but, still, his behavior might be a bit different. That will give you a clue as to whether the girl is there or not. If you see him behaving in any way out of the ordinary whether that means he becomes distant or irritable or you catch him lying in any way about his whereabouts and such call for a minister. Talk to someone from your church and seek professional help. Don't take the doll away but distract his attention to another toy, to another favorite or new activity together. Try to spend as much time as possible outdoors before someone comes to your aid.

I'll be looking for your posts regularly.
LordRhodium (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Tonith: Thanks you for setting my mind at ease. There is a possability that she isn't possessing him. You are right about being scared though, after the second time I took the doll away I literally sat down and cried I was so scared. I will try asking the landlord about the history of the house.
LordRhodium (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Thanks for your advice everyone, there is one other thing going on which I will post on as soon as I can.

Dena: I haven't noticed anything unless you count actually cleaning his room. Pardon me, I'm really scared by this and thought a little chuckle might help.

Kirika: I deinately want to look into it however I can't really talk to a pastor as I am not religious, I'll try to find a psychic medium in my area.

JamesRobiscoe: You're right there, I will try going to the library. There's a lot of really good advice there, thank you very much.

Rhodes: I'll try, it almost seems strange to have to think of this ghost as an enemy of sorts, but I am being careful not to think of Cam in that way, or do anything to make him feel like I am. He hasn't seemed to have re-acquired the doll since the last time I took it away. If he does manage to get hold of it again should I take it away?

Darkness: Thank you for the advice, but I really am not sure a chaplain or pastor is the best person for me to talk to as I am not sure how eager they would be to help a non-believer.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Doll stories creep me out to no end. If I had put that doll away and it showed up again I would be horrified. You already saw the apparition so you know something is sharing the house with you and your son. I don't think she is trying to possess your son just because his hair is getting lighter. That could happen for a number of reasons genetically. A child of 7 should be able to tell you where he got the doll especially the second time you found it in his room. He either knows about the apparition and doesn't realize what it is and may be just keeping the doll for his friend so to speak and that makes him protective of it. If the doll was left apparently no one wanted it. Ask your landlord about it. Maybe he will know who it belonged to. If your son didn't retrieve it from the attic then someone or something brought it to him again. Time to have a heart to heart with the boy and ask if he's been seeing a little girl in the house. He doesn't have to know its a ghost but you will know and the next step would be getting it out of the house. This may take a medium who can communicate with it and hopefully send it on to the Light.
DarknessEmbraced (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
Dear LordRhodium,
Thank you for the story. However I know it's more of a situation then a story and I'm not real familiar with an issue like this. I would love to give you something to work with but I'm not the best person to give you that information. If it's any help, I personally would watch him closely and just keep being a great dad. Second I would get in touch with a pastor or a chaplain. Whoever you feel comfortable with. I've deployed twice, once to Iraq, and I personally felt my chaplain helped to give best advise he could next to God. I know it might be awkward but maybe sitting down and exchanging words would be for the best of you and your son, and in the end, hopefully a lost girl that needs help crossing over.

God Bless...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-02)
I couldn't agree more with JamesRobiscoe. If, mind I say if, this is a case of possession, the one thing you SHOULD NOT do is let your fear and strong reaction drive Cameron away or let the girl see you as the "unwanted and meddling adult".

It seems that the girl is an intelligent haunting since she must be interacting with Cameron which explains how he came to be in possession of the doll. His anger towards you for trying to take the doll away indicates that she must be influencing him quite a bit.

Pretend to see less than you actually do and let him have his way as long as you can derive any possible info about the girl's id from your "easy-going" discussions with him.

Keep your eyes on your little boy at all times and search the history of the house to see if it matches the info you might get from Cameron.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Rhodium:
I assume you have no religious or secular framework for things beyond what you see in this world. Perhaps a trip to the library or bookstore could help give you some useful theories.
My thought is to work with your son, not against him. Don't bully and insist on your way. Assuming he's young, he may not understand complicated thoughts but he sure knows emotions. Be simple and gentle with questions and try not to instill fear in him as you try to figure out the purpose of this ghost child. I know you feel out of your league, but you don't need to stay there. Please keep us informed. God bless.
Kirika05 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
I really don't mean to be negative... But please be careful. This story is really good but it kindof worried me... Talk to a pastor or medium, someone who might know more about the spirit world. (Honestly, I would just say pastor but I don't want to seem biased) I have a son of my own and if that happened to us it would really bother me... And I would at least look into it. Good luck to you!
Hunters (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Dear LordRhodium,
Maybe the girl is possessing your son. But keep me informed.

Truly,
Hunters
Dena90 (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Wow that's a really spooky story. Has your sons behaviour changed at all?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: