You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Orange Eyes

Real Ghost Stories

Orange Eyes

 

My first experience with the paranormal happened when I was five or six years old and living in Florida with my family. I am forty-eight years old now and this one experience is so etched in my memory that when I recall it today, it is still as clear as if it had happened to me a few moments ago.

We lived on a cattle ranch not far from Bushnell, Florida. At that time, in the 60's, there were no street lights on the ranch, just a gravel road across cattle grates to our small, isolated ranch house in the pasture.

I remember going to the screened-in back door that night and seeing my mother standing in the square of light cast from our kitchen through the door and onto the yard. She was raking out scraps for our dogs into their dog pan. She saw I was at the door and asked me to bring the flash light that always sat on our kitchen counter.

I took the flashlight to her without even a question in my mind. She cast a beam of the light down into the dark pasture where I could see two orange eyes faintly glowing in the dark.

"What is it, mama?" I remember asking and she replied that she had been watching the eyes for a little while. She thought it might be a cow at first but the eyes were too close to the ground.

We watched as the eyes started down the pasture toward some large trees that grew at the side of our house. The eyes didn't move like cow eyes, in a slow plodding way, but smoothly, more like a bird in my mind. They remained close to the ground and always watching us with their orange glow. It glided smoothly to a huge live oak tree that grew maybe twenty-five feet from our house.

Then the eyes did the strangest thing, they turned parallel to the tree's trunk and glided up the side of the tree for about fifteen feet, disappeared around the back of the huge trunk and then out onto the first branch that grew on the opposite side of the tree. I remember my mama saying, "That's no cow," softly as she traced the flashlight beam along the limb underneath the eyes. The beam caught no sign of fur or feet of any kind-just empty blackness like the night. The eyes disappeared into a large clump of leaves at the end of the branch.

My mama and I ran through the back door, through the house and out onto our front porch. My Daddy was sitting on the couch with the younger children watching a comedy on television. I remember it must have been a comedy because I remember laughter from the audience or sound track.

Daddy said, "What is it?"

My Mama and I said almost at the same time, "There's something in the pasture..." before we ran out onto the porch.

We stood in the light cast from the front door and watched the end of the tree branch bouncing up and down wildly in the flash light beam. Daddy was trying to corral the younger children back from the door. I remember turning around to see what he was doing and when I turned back, the moon started to rise over the flat Florida landscape casting a bluish glow. Now we could see without aid from the flash light. The branch bounced up and down, I remember the rustle of leaves and a curious smell came to me on the night air, like burning wood. The branch stopped bouncing because the owner of the eyes had jumped out of the tree and onto the gravel road in front of our house. For a moment, it was obscured by the hanging, still slightly bouncing clump of leaves and then it started to "move" down the road in front of our house.

The moon showed the owner of the orange glowing eyes, glowing more brightly now in the moonlight. It was no cow for whatever it was stood on two spindly legs like animal legs that ended in two thin narrow hooves. From the legs upward was a huge body with no discernable arms and a hump of a head with two very long straight horns that curved slightly upward at the ends. The entire body was pitch black and at least six feet tall from hoof to horn end. The only color being the bright orange eyes.

This thing hopped on its two legs down the road. I could hear the shifting crunch of gravel and see blue sparks fly up as its feet came back down on the road.

My Mama and I, accompanied by my Daddy, piled into the house and slammed the door. We were breathing as if we'd run a race. My Daddy, from his position with his back against the door said breathlessly "That's a plat eye, there's treasure buried near that tree..."

I didn't understand then, but years later, I discovered exactly what a "plat eye" is. In Southern legend, plat eyes are the ghost of murdered animals that are set to guard hidden treasure by a living human. Daddy never dug around the tree to see if there was hidden treasure, believing whatever treasure there might have been was cursed.

This singular incident from my young life set me on the road to being a True Believer in the flip side of the coin from our reality. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that things exist in our world which are almost beyond reason to explain.

Many paranormal occurrences have befallen me in my life but I will save those for another day.

Other hauntings by Ocsana

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ocsana, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

xGlow (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
Hi. I am a 16 year old boy that lives in Norway. I googled Orange Glowing Eyes. I do not expect people to believe me pr anything, but my eyes glow a bright Orange Color. I have googled for a while with no luck. If anyone has any idea of my paranormal experiece. Please contact me on: aetranigkill [at] gmail.com someone please help me!
Lizard (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
I think it was the cubacabra or whatever how it spells but this story is very interesting to. I'm going to add this to my favourites.
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
This sounds like chupucabra a animal who looks like a kangaroo and a coyote which drains the blood of farm animals
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
I really loved this story. I have also never heard of the plat eye before. That would have been really neat to see. This is on my favorites as well.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
What an interesting story. That almost reminded me of the legendary Hispanic la chupa cabra. But I will have to ask to see if there are similar tales in my neck of the woods. I am adding this to favorites. I know how creepy the country side can feel sometimes, and I will think of that next time I am out there! LOL Thanks for sharing! 😁
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Wow! Thanks for sharing this story. Your description of these events left me feeling like I was there with you. I also had not heard of a plat eye before. Very interesting.

Jennifer ❤
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
Sounds like you have experienced the unexplainable! It's amazing what all is out there in this realm and in other realms. One day, I hope we find an answer to all these questions. Good luck and take care! Great story!
carrycat (3 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
wow-what a great story-it was interesting because I have never heard of a plat eye before and the fact that your parents saw it as well and that they didn't question you makes the story very believable-did you ever talk about it again to your mother?

Really good story-i enjoyed reading it
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
Actually the Plat Eye is a legendary creature among gullah people (black Americans from South Carolina and Georgia). It's believed to be a michievous animal-like creature that wanders the earth and changes shape and identity in front of the observer's eyes deliberately and for deadly purposes.

They are said to loath the smell of gun powder and sulfur mix (a chemical element also found in gun powder).

What I find extraordinary in these stories as well as in some ghost stories that involve this particular smell at the sight of a ghost is that sulphur in ancient times was known as "brimstone" which comes to symbolize the fate of eternal damnation that awaits the unbelieving and unrependant.

And yet, it's not sulphur per ce that smells (it's odorless) -the smell is probably of sulphur dioxide mainly associated with burning matches-in this story "burnt wood".

The important question then should be why a smell which is associated with the terrible fate of human-kind comes from sulphur which in itself is an essential element for LIFE?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
I have only heard stories about a plat eye from my fiance. Some of his family lives in Pawley's Island, SC. Him and his cousins were always told not to talk to one because they would follow you home. One of his cousins came across one sitting in a tree not far from his aunt's house. He was walking down the dirt (at the time) road and heard something say, "hey man where are you going". He looked up and a creature that looked like a cat but about 5ft tall was sitting on the first branch. He didn't say anything to it and it jumped down onto the road and asked him again. He immediately turned and ran back to his aunts house.

I find it interesting that your father described it looking pretty much the same way as my fiance. Maybe there is something to it.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Well I was borned and raised in the south and I have never heard of a plat eye either.I'm not saying that there is no such thing, as the south abounds with many different kinds of "hants".Thanks for the story, I think 😨.

FRAWIN 😊
marcink125 (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Wow! That is so creepy. Thanks for your awesome story. I love to to read kind of stories. 😊
Ocsana (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Hello everyone and thank you for publishing my story. I have kept all my ghost stories and other stories to myself and my family all these years. No one would believe the stories outside my family being they witnessed much the same thing I did. It's a relief to be able to tell my stories knowing I won't be regarded as crazy or othewise delusional by the people I talk to.
As regards the plat-eye, it seems to be a truely Southern type of "haint" and is often told in African American stories about the paranormal. My Daddy had seen one other plat-eye in his life, when he was young and living in Hardin County, Tennessee. This plat-eye guarded a bridge over a small creek near his home. He said he was coming home late one night and was crossing the bridge when this huge cat shaped animal with one, just one, large red glowing eye blocked his way. He said he was so scared that he forded the creek someways down from the bridge and when he got home told his Mama about the creature. She was the one who explained to him what a plat-eye is.
In the South, these types of creatures and other "haints" that are associated with nature are quiet common especially from my parents generation and before. My Mama and Daddy told many stories when I was growing up about various types of haunted places. Not so much houses, but fields and woods and yards. I'll tell about these on the site a little at a time because these stories ring so true for me that it's hard to tell them at times since both my parents are now dead.
I haven't encountered another plat-eye in my time since that one in Florida. We moved away from Florida when I was 10 so I don't know if the plat-eye still guards his treasure around the tree. I've been back one time to that ranch house since I became an adult in the late 70's. It surprised me how small the house was and how large the trees were. How isolated that place was with its little patch of yard fenced in with bobbed wire to keep the cattle out. I don't know if it's still there or not but someday I would like to go back again. Maybe rent the house for a month or so and stare out the window at night to see what I can see.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Wow! I can say that certainly would have left a major impression on me as well!

I had never heard of a 'plat eye' until reading your story! Thank you for sharing. I have now looked them up and plan to research the subject a bit further.

I very much enjoyed your story and look forward to others.

God Bless!
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
What an interesting read! I had never heard of a plat eye, so I looked it up. Very interesting. I love when folklore ties in with hauntings. Thanks for sharing your awesome story and for letting us all know about something we may have not have heard of before! 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Welcome Ocsana and thank you for a very well-told and fascinating encounter!

I have once read about the plat eye and have since been interested in knowing if anyone had actually encountered this type of entity.

Very interesting!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
hm...that's interesting because (there was only one source I've found so far), but apparently the plat eye can be found between twilight and dawn, which fits in well with what you witnessed.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
I've never heard of a plat eye or the legend behind one. Have you witnessed it since?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: