You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Whispering Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Whispering Ghost

 

My encounter with something unexplainable felt rather non-dramatic at the time. It wasn't exactly frightening or shocking. When we tried to make sense of the experience later on, it mainly just felt weird and creepy... Enough to give me the chills, and make it quite memorable!

My boyfriend Ed and I had slept over at our friend's grandparents' house in Simi Valley, CA. The 3 of us were ready to go out for the day, and Ed and I had been waiting in a bedroom for our friend to get ready for quite some time. (He was in the bathroom, his grandfather had gone on an errand, and his grandmother was in the living room.).

Feeling impatient, we decided to go wait outside for our friend. Ed opened the door to the hallway-I was just behind/beside him. We both stopped at the "threshold" to let someone pass down the hallway. Neither of us fully saw this "person"--they registered more in the peripheral. It seemed to be an elderly person--somewhat hunched and shuffling (our friend's grandma perhaps?) What was odd is that they were whispering in a sort of mumbling, incoherent way. When the figure passed before us, in our full line of view, it simply vanished! At the moment I witnessed this, he said "Whoah!" so I knew I wasn't just hallucinating!

We exchanged curious looks, and went out to investigate--still looking for a rational explanation. There was our friend's grandma sitting in the living room, talking on the phone. (Funny that we were still thinking it may have been Grandma who pulled the vanishing trick!) We went outside and discussed what we'd seen and heard, found our perceptions identical and concluded that, no, there was no rational explanation. Then we basically put it out of mind, like it just didn't "fit" within the normal framework.

But about a week later, we were staying there with our friend again, and conversation came around to a point in which we remembered to share this very odd experience with him. His response was fairly nonchalant, like: "Oh, so you saw our ghost? Yeah, we've all seen strange things. It seems to prefer that back bedroom" (which no one stays in-coincidentally?).

And so, I never found any explanation for what happened that day. I never learned of any relevant history of previous residents. I don't know if we witnessed the lingering consciousness of a deceased person, or if it was just some sort of energetic "imprint". The fact that I don't have the answers still haunts me, as well as the memory of that strange whispering voice...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StellaMaris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hi Stella. I have to say that this is one scary home. I wish I could go and check it out but on the otherhand I bet I would be a little freaked out if I had to go by myslef... Thanks for sharring this very interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
I can see why some people would reframe from exposing ghostly information if it's something that only happens once in a blue moon. On the other hand if it's frequent best to let others know so they don't think they are losing it. Don't know how many over night guests you would have if you let the cat out of the bag but I'm sure there are a number of ghost hunters that would love to spend the night. Apparently none of the spirits in this house are harmful which is good. Amazing what people can get use to living with. We humans are very adaptable.
Mr_Burnz (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
That's nuts! I've had an expierence almost identical with the whispering phenoms... At least you got to see what made the noises...hell, I didn't even see a mist or anything...I'm jealous 😁

God Bless,
Burnz
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
Wow! I would love to go investigate that home! It is so hard to explain these things, isn't it?! I am fascinated with the unknown and study it on a daily basis. Seems to me like you got a taste of some paranormal activity. You'll never forget it! Thanks for posting!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-04)
It seems to me that people don't warn their visitors about a haunting at home either because they want to see if others perceive the presence too or because they love to give them a fright. I cannot bring myself to believe that they've grown so accustomed to a spirit's presence that they tend to see the haunting as something trivial.

Either way, I would have been seriously pissed!

Thanks for the story Stella 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: