You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Night at Abuela's House

Real Ghost Stories

A Night at Abuela's House

 

This story takes place in the city of St. Louis, Missouri. The year was 1996. I don't remember what time of the year it was, but I was eight years old. I don't even remember what I did that day or why my mother and I stayed the night at my grandmother's house.

My grandmother's house was a shot-gun style house. The living room, dining room, and the master bedroom were all connected. There was a door that led to the master bedroom from the dining room. If you sat in the living room and looked straight, you could see through to the dining room and into the bedroom's door.

I remember we were sleeping in grandmother's living room. My mother and my grandmother were lying on the floor sleeping, but I was on the couch trying to sleep. I lay on my side and faced the dining room. I opened my eyes and in the dining room, at the threshold of my grandmother's bedroom, I saw something. I knew what it could be since my mother had told me ghost stories that took place in her childhood, so I was aware of the possibilities of a ghost's existence.

When I saw this white figure, I was terrified, but I kept staring at it and couldn't even blink. It was a figure of a woman, and I could see her hourglass figure. At first she was really still, but then she started moving in place. She was waving her hands as if she wanted me to come near her. I continued to stare and the woman began to move as if she was dancing very slowly. It looked as if she was moving in slow motion. I couldn't see her face or even the clothes she was wearing. Her whole body appeared a bright white, almost fluorescent.

I wanted to get my mother's attention, but I was too afraid to move. I didn't want the ghost to know I could see her. I just pulled the cover over my face until I fell asleep. The next morning when we all awoke, I told my mother and my grandmother what I had seen. They told me it was my imagination.

Years later, I brought the story up to my grandmother and she told me that she believed me, but she didn't want me to know. Since, I was so young at the time she didn't want to scare me. She stated that she had seen the ghost more than a few times and the ghost would often move things around.

I also found out that around the time I had seen the ghost my little brother was a few weeks old. They would wrap my brother up like a burrito and lay him on my grandmother's bed, then go sleep in the living room. Then, they would wake up to my infant brother's cry and go check on him. When they would go check on him they would find him on the floor in the threshold of the bedroom door with no blankets, cold as a popsickle.

There was no explanation for this since no one else was home and my brother couldn't have moved himself since he was only two weeks old. This happened more than once. Eventually my grandmother moved out to a house down the street. My cousin and his family ended up moving into her old house and say there is a woman haunting them.

Other hauntings by Jasmin314

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jasmin314, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Let's think of this way. Maybe the spirits/ghosts think we are scaring them to death too. Maybe the ghost thought we were ghost too. I'm not trying to be funny.

Also, I don't know how many of you've seen the movie "The Others?" Nicole Kidman was the main actress. That was a great twist at the end.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
First of all I want to thank everyone for reading. I should have mentioned this in the story, but I found out about 6 years ago that the lady's husband was murdered and she died of an illness in the house. My grandmother had asked the neighbors who lived there before her. No on was there long enough to know except one older woman. She said that about 20 years before my grandmother moved in, there was a woman that used to live there. When she gave the description of the woman, my grandmother knew it was the spirit living in her home. This house is about 80 years old. Also, I am sorry if I confused anyone, but my mother was not raised in this house. When I had mentioned my mother's childhood, I meant that she told me ghost stories about when she was a child. The stories she would tell were unrelated to this ghost.

Carrycat- You asked how old is my bro now, well he is 17 years old now. I have had encounters ever since. This story is only my first encounter. I will post the rest later this week.

Rhodes68- I agree, my grandmother should have done something about the ghost when it was trying to harm my brother. The problem was that my grandmother was a very religious woman, therefore, she believed that her prayers to the Lord were the only way to get this resolved. It didn't help. Eventually, my grandmother moved out.
carrycat (3 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
hi-thanks for the story, seeing a ghost and having the ghost actually interact with a person are two very different things-i mean the fact that your little brother was found crying on the floor is scary. How old is he now-have you had any other experiences since?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hello again Jasmin. Thanks for sahrring another great story with us. I bet this was a very scary encounter. A spirit trying to hurt a child. That is way too much for me. I think the spirit has been there a long time since she was scaring your mother. Do you know the history of the house or the land. Maybe then you would find some answers to your questions. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
sydjv (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
hey, that's pretty frieky,...since this ghost lady has been "haunting" your grandmother as a child, you should get someone to investigate the house. You may hav heard of TAPS or GHOST HUNTERS on scifi. It would be kool if they could investigate the home and tell you if its haunted or not...i'd like to watch the investigation on t.v. 😆
themexican (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
nice story I think its mabey seeking revenge for mabey dying of a broken heart because there's no man to be there with her 😨 😨 🤔
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Thanks for another great story Jasmin-it's good to have you with us!

I guess that ghostly woman must have been living in your grandmother's house for a LONG time since she "haunted" your mom's childhood as well.

I suppose, under very specific circumstances, one can bear to share their house with a ghost but having that ghost endangering, intentionally or unintentionally, an infant's life is enough for anyone to draw the line.

Since she still haunts the house I have to assume that she has not crossed. Has anyone tried to communicate with her? There are numerous accounts of spirits who refuse to let go of the life they lived on this earth or are held back because of an old tragedy or simply like to visit from time to time.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: