You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Sloss Furnace Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Sloss Furnace Visit

 

Hi, my name is Ashley, and I currently live in Birmingham, Al. There is an old Steel Mill located down the called Sloss Furnace. It's haunted. I visited Sloss twice with 2 of my friends.

The first time we went, it was very interesting to see how things worked in the 1800's. The factory was built in 1882 and was closed because of pollution and the cost of steel went down in 1971. We took photos and walked around twice, but one of the rooms called the Blowing Engine Room, had some kind of attraction to it. Story has it that this is where the majority of the men worked and also where most of their worst deaths occurred.

We heard banging noises and footsteps. I took a photo where one of my friends was standing by an old wheel, where one of the men supposedly got snagged by the wheel, which was moving very vast, and was crushed, and about every few seconds there would be less of his body. I was scared to death. The picture was perfect. I wasn't moving, he wasn't either, but when we examined the photo, his body was see -through, and his head was gone. We were a bit scared that night when we went home.

My second visit was with one of my same friends, but I brought along my best friend this time. He was very skepical about going to Sloss because his exact words were "respect the things of the past". But he ended up going with us anyway.

This time was kind of unusual, because the museum schedule stated that it was opened Tuesday-Friday 10-4pm. But we went on a Monday, and no one told us that we had to leave.

So as soon as we got beside the old machines outside, both of my friends felt like we were being watched. I said that they were just a little uneasy about the visit. I really wasn't bothered because I knew what to expect. We were by the biggest furnace there was, and we were reading about the different machines and how they worked and all of a sudden I spotted a white shadowy figure peaking from behind a pole, and as soon as I turned my head, it was gone.

After that we went into the tunnel, and my best friend stated that he saw a dark shadowy figure standing next to my other friend. He didn't tell us this until we left.

We went inside the Blowing Engine Room, which is supposedly the most haunted in the factory; and began to walk around. I can say as soon as you get inside the room you feel very light-headed, nauseated, weak and full of fear. I was telling the different stories from which I heard about the people who died in that room, as we began to stroll around the room, we stopped and out of nowhere we heard something go "SHHHHHHH". When I say we ran like we've never ran before, I dropped my watch and I went back to get it, I guess I wasn't that afraid enough to the point where I could go back and get my watch. But that was a very interesting encounter. I will definitely go back but not alone.

Why did we experience paranormal activity on our second visit, and not on our first? Was it because my best friend was with us this time and so full of fear? Because ghosts know when your afraid, and they feed off of FEAR...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 2grown4games, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TheJames (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-05)
This may sound odd but I have these dreams and in the original one I thought I was in a ship and there is these strangers there and I am trying to make Noises I am trying to tell one to shhhh so the female that has a stronger chance to hear me cause she noticed my first attempt and I was familiar with her description from a prior dream that was similar but almost a year apart when she was a stranger then. Its like I'm not in my body in this dream but I'm trying to get her to look at the ground cause I drew a message in the sand on the concrete that hadn't been swept for ages. The only way I could seem to be noticed but the o e guy kept them all distracted and looking back perhaps it was a factory or mill. Anyhow ever sense I have a dream of this woman that she's the ghost or at least a stranger. Your story made me wonder if people dreaming could be the ghost in someone's experience and vice versa. Cause these people were strangers but it's like I was not in my time or dimension of sort. Like the past. The phones where different not smart phones they were using and the clothes where not today but not long ago either. I even heard the song on there vehicle radio as it was turning around to leave the lot entrance exit but I could never get there attention in the dream. O know one of them was My email is allcntylandscape [at] gmail.com I'm curious if your dreams where my experiences or if any other where similar. Cause I'm in Anniston. But at the time lived In Florida. THANKS TheJames
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Hey Girlie. I hate to say this but you are totally WRONG! They do feed off of fear. And not just fear but any source of energy. But vampires? Maybe they eat peanut butter 😆 😆.Im just kidding. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hi, hey 2 grown just to let you know ghost can't feed off fear, because they don't eat. Only vimperes. Incase you didn't know that. But still a very cool story.
GIRLIE 😁 (:
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
I agree with Tammy. Ghost do not show them selves on command. And If your a little to pushy they can be pushy as well. You must show at every time respect to the dead. You don't want a spirit fallowing you for the rest of your life. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
I think it was because ghosts don't perform on command, Ashley. You might visit a well-known haunted spot multiple times and never get the chance to see or hear anything out of the ordinary and then, out of the blue, when you least expect it, you may capture something life changing.

I'm confused though, didn't you say you heard noises and had something strange appear in your photos the first time?
Kevan (10 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Hi there 2grown. I live next to Birmingham. Me and my friends have been to Sloss several times. I've written a story on here about it too. Check it out, it has some videos from where we went up there as well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: