You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Elevator

Real Ghost Stories

The Elevator

 

In the year 2000, my son who is an adult, had back surgery at Lockport Memorial Hospital, Lockport, NY. I was a smoker at the time, so at the time of his surgery I waited in the main lobby so that I could step outside for a smoke when needed. After having been in the lobby for about an hour, I had my cigarette and when I returned, I decided to go to the surgical floor to check on my son's progress.

I headed to the elevators, an elderly hospital volunteer (these are retirees that help with administration and patient services and wear, at the time, was I believe a gray sport coat with the hospital insignia) walking about 20yds ahead of me also going to the elevators.

As we approached the elevators, the volunteer stepped onto the open elevator on the right, turned and pushed her floor button and as I attempted to hurry to catch the elevator, (remember, I was about 20yds behind) the door slid shut. I pushed the elevator call button expecting to wait for the next available elevator, and the door that had just shut not 15 seconds earlier opened. I began to apologize to the volunteer for delaying the elevator when I realized that the elevator was empty. It was impossible for the volunteer to have gone anywhere as between the time of the door sliding shut and my pushing the call button was only about 15 seconds.

Needless to say, I was stunned. I stepped back out of the elevator to collect my thoughts and try to make sense of what just happened. The women volunteer appeared to be about 70 years of age, was about 5'2" tall, had white hair that was short and a well done hair-do and she wore gold-rimmed glasses that had one of those long strap holders attached that would allow you to take your glasses off and they would hang around your neck. The holder was made out of a string of pearls. I should also mention that the volunteer appeared to be solid.

After checking on my son, I went to the Volunteers office. I explained to the gentleman there what happened and gave him the description of the woman. The man became quite pale. He told me that the woman's name was Mary-Ann and that he knew it was her from not only the general description but the pearl glass holder that she wore. He told me that I am the second person to have told him that she had bee seen since she passed away. He stated that the first person to mention seeing her knew her personally. He said that he thought the first person was mistaken but not any more.

Apparently, Mary-Ann loved her volunteer work and is still at it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ElectricTNT, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-28)
ElectricTNT -
Thank you for sharing your story with us. This is the type of encounter that makes non-believers realize they were wrong all along.

I think this is a residual haunting. Mary-Ann loved her work at the hospital and was tied to it so much, her energies are still there, playing out her daily routines, just like a recording.

Blessings to you!
ParaTam
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
I like this story. It makes me wonder though... Do ghosts like this know they are dead? Or do they really think they are just showing up for work again?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Hi ElectricTNT. Thanks for sharring this very interesting incounter. I believe that the world is one big unknown place. And I think that Mary Ann showed you that. I bet you were totaly shocked when you saw that there was nobody in the evelator when it opened. Thanks for sharring this great story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Nordic (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
This is a really nice story! Goes to show that paranormal experiences don't always have to be scary 😊
Kirby (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Mary-anne doesn't seem vicious in any way...
Thank you for sharing. ~ Kirby
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hi ElectricTNT. I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your story and thank you for sharing it with us. You brought up a point that I have often thought about- I, like you, have thought just how many ghosts/spirits a person sees and mistakes them for living people. It makes one think,doesn't it?

FRAWIN 😊
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
That's still super cool.:) You should share some more of your experiences with us!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hey Lexiluca, Maybe it's because Mary-anne person she was taken care of when she died had back surgery, like Electric TNT's son.
GIRLIE 😁
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hi Lexiluca

I don't believe that she chose to appear to me. I think she was just doing her thing and I happened to cross paths with her. I am a retired Police Officer and worked, you guessed it, the grave yard shift and during my years on the job, I had a number of paranormal experiences. I believe that it is just a matter of being in the right spot at the right time. At some point I'll share these experiences. I do not consider myself to be psychic or gifted in any manner.
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Are you prone to seeing things like this? If not, I wonder why she chose to appear to you. It could have possibly been the stress you were under as well. It's a warming feeling, even if you don't know them, to learn such a story. That's so cool.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Hi all and thank for your comments. What made this memorable for me was the fact that there were no other typical manifestations around the event. There were no cold spots no feelings of being creeped out etc. Had I not needed to use the elevator, the event would have gone completely unnoticed. It makes you wonder how many spirit events take place that we view as a normal physical event and the spirits go unrecognized.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
ElectricTNT,
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!

What a touching story to believe that one of the volunteers so loved their work that they wish to carry on, after all where would this world be without volunteers?

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Thank you for an intriguing account ElectricTNT and welcome.

There have been numerous reports of paranormal sightings in hospitals throughout the world. I mention this only to point out the significance that hospitals have as they prove to somehow capture and retain "echoes" of an older world.

Is it because they have "witnessed" human agony, pain,dispair, relief or even happiness? It could be for all of those reasons that even people finally feel a strange sense of connection to the place itself.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Cool story,Hi,Well maybe Mary-anne had some to take care of when she died and was still trying to take care that person.
GIRLIE 😁 (:

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: