You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ou-mens Gelowe, Old People's Stories

Real Ghost Stories

Ou-mens Gelowe, Old People's Stories

 

This incident took place 7 years ago - when I was doing my final year of high school. My mother was returning from a holiday in Europe and she expected a spotless home when she got back. I had decided to re-arrange my bedroom. I was warned about the way I had done this, with the head of the bed facing the door. I didn't take much note of this as I brushed it off as an old-wives' tale.

At the time, I had a boyfriend who lived close by and who loved to walk along the canal to get to my home. I had joked several times about him bringing bad spirits into the house by doing this (it's considered bad to walk along water at night).

He came around that evening and stayed until about 10. When he left that night, I woke up to find my bed shaking, a steady kind of shake. Trying to make sense of it, I tried to sit upright, but failed to do so. Something made me turn to the chair next to my bed... There was a tall dark figure sitting there. I couldn't utter a sound! I tried calling for my father in the next room, but just wasn't able to do so. Instead, I closed my eyes and just cried, prayed and begged for this thing to go away.

After what felt like an hour, I opened my eyes and it was gone.

The next day, I asked my father, a staunch Catholic to please get some holy water from the church. This was then sprinkled about the room with vigor and a silent prayer.

I'll never break those rules again... Call me superstitious if you like.

Although, the room I had stayed in was the room of my older sister before. She had also reported feelings of coldness and even a couple of sightings. The house in general had an eerie feeling.

Those are stories in their own I guess...

Your comments are welcome!

Other hauntings by trau

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, trau, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ladymoondust (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-13)
South africa has so many superstitions that's its acualy ridiclules haha I live there and wow almost for everything they have a do not do that or els...
I love that you put afrikaans in the title being from south africa its a welcome statement.
there are many roads in south africa where paranormal stuff takes place
from ghost cars who run people off the road to hitch hikers that scare you into making an accident or have a paranormal scar for the rest of your life haha or even ghost brides that takes your attention off the road so an accident is possible
there are so many more so maybe superstition maybe not I have seen none of these with my own eyes only read about them
but from what I have read South africa is a very haunted place!
❤ ❤
princessroe (6 stories) (7 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
If the South African government was superstitious I don't think we would have a problem with corruption as they would be too petrified their ancestors would come and haunt them and misfortune would come their way, depending on what they believe of course. But you will find a lot of people in South Africa are still very superstitious. I've heard of the one with the bed before.

Thanks for a great story!
Nordic (44 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-09)
Hi Trau and Chris, the author you are looking for is Margaret Williamson. It's an awesome book. I bought it when it was just released. Still being a teenager then, I have read it several times again now that I am older and travel more. Regards 😁
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-12)
hi Trau

You know sometimes rearranging furniture can cause spirits to be active, this is what I think may have accurred in your case cause like you had said, your sister has experienced things in the room as well and that the temperature is still considerably lower then in other rooms in the house. So I take it the sprinkling of holy water did not help? Just asking.

ChrisB

Darl I am from south africa and I think our government is too concerned with real issues than to concern itself with trivial matters that have no major effect on our country's affairs as a whole. Not disregarding the book you have, maybe it is talking about a rural area because like in most continents, not just Africa, villages still remain very superstitious. Maybe the government your book is talking about is refering to the place's municipal leaders.
I am curious... You say North America is not that old. Umm, what was there before your ancestors settled there, because correct me if I am wrong but North America is blessed with a rich history itself. No offense, but I think you need to read up on your own continent's history before you attempt enlightening others about the world.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Hi Jasmin and Trau. Although I agree with you Jasmin that they can be superstious. But I beleieve that there are more hauntings there then in north america. We have to remember that north amercia isa young. Its been hear for maybe 500-600 years. But africa has a very rich history. Tragedys war and basically everything. The same goes with europe. Its basicaly been here forever. I believe that in america some hauntings are a little talked about. I'm not talking about homes and stuff but schools,graveyards, and mostly hotels. In some cases they want you to believe it is haunted because some are willing to pay a lot of money just to stay over night. But in europe people don't talk about it. Believe me. He they would consider you to be crazy or just stupid. I don't know why? I read on the internet that 50% of people believe in ghost in the USA. Poland for an example doesn't go over 5%.Why?I think that here people are more religious. Not that I'm saying that we are saints no. I think that people here are more conservitive religious. I hope this makes sence. If they saw a ghost I bet they would say it was an angel.

Trau I know that what I said sounded very wierd but I honestly read it. I have the book at home. I will try to post the book and author and the story today so you can check it out. It is a good book. I hope to hear from you soon and tak care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Don't know if it has anything to do with superstition but you could just have a resident ghost. You are saying you never had any experiences before you changed your bedroom furniture around? And even though you changed it back the room is still icy cold? I don't know if changing the furniture around displeased the ghost and he made himself known. Hard to believe that would cause it to manifest but who knows? Spirits like people can be different in their likes and dislikes. Doesn't sound like it is a harmful spirit. Keep us informed. Great story.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
ChrisB I want to comment in regards to your comment about that continent being one of the most huanted place. Well, I disagree. I believe that it seems that way only because the people actually put the hauntings in a political view. They are blaming accidents on hauntings and the "government" is having issues with the hauntings. Maybe these people are SUPER superstitious. The narrator has already made it obvious that they are superstitious. Even their authorities are superstitious. Here in America politicians cannot be superstitious,therefore, things don't seem as haunted because not enough people pay attention to paranormal activity. This is in contrast to South Africa. Anyone agree? Not trying to make this a debate or anything.
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
hi chrisb

Regarding the government getting involved - no, it's not true as far as I know. However, there are many stories about the longer roads/passes in our country being haunted or a bit eerie in comparison to others. In fact, I think in our country, people are so fascinated with the unknown/tales of ghosts and strange happenings. There was a book I once took out at the library, haunted corners of south africa. I cannot remember the author however. Hope that helps 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I read a book a couple of days ago about hauntings in south africa. I hope you help me here. In the book it talked about different hauntings in the city (im sorry I don't remember the country). It said that there are so many hauntings there that the the goverment started having problem. I think it was a minister of something. He said that there are roads haunted there that caused accidents. I think that continent is one of the most haunted places in the world. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments. The belief about the head of your bead facing the door is a thing the old people (my mother is from a northern cape town - lots of things going on down there) tell us. I'm not sure how/where it originated from, but I will do some asking around.
I have since left my parent's house, the room has been turned around and is ready for us, but everyone refuses to go in there - its icy cold!
I shall do some writing later in the day explaining some of the other events that took place in the house.
Thanks again!
Carrycat - are you from SA as well?
Nordic (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi, I was also pleasantly surprised to see Afrikaans in the title... Gives one a feeling of home and reminds me of my grandmother telling me never to pick flowers from the katjiepieringbos (Cape jasmine) as that would upset the spirits! Keep the stories coming 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi trau and thanks for an interesting story.

Like carrycat, I was also wondering about the significance of how you place your bed in the room-maybe it's time to switch mine towards the window? 😊

Well, about the encounter you had that night, I think blessing the room was wise. Also since your sister had similar experiences too then it's something you should take lightly as I'm sure you don't.

I'd be very interested in reading more about the other encounters as well.

Hope to have you back soon.
carrycat (3 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi-was surprised to see Afrikaans in the title-good story-what is the old wives tale about having the head of your bed facing the door way?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: