You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Davee Farm

Real Ghost Stories

The Davee Farm

 

It is difficult to articulate a lifetime of scattered experiences in one narrative but I will do my best.

I have spent my entire life in my home. It is an old farmhouse built around 1824. It was a single family home from 1824 until 1966 when my grandfather bought it from the Davee estate.

As a kid sleeping in the house I was terrified of the 'walking around' in the upstairs. It was every night and it was constant.

My siblings and I never discussed it when we were growing up but as adults we all share stories of the noises and being scared at night. My sisters would always sleep with the lights on.

I did not want to scare my children with it so I never told them. When we moved in my youngest was terrified and crying. My son was comforting her by telling her that you get used to the noises and walking around. The three of them was experiencing this stuff on their own.

There are quiet times but they are unusual. The house is always filled with inexplicable noises, especially upstairs. Walking and knocking and an occasional banging, sometime rather loudly.

I don't usually get unnerved by the happenings but one time within the past couple years I was laying down in the upstairs room that I am converting from a huge bathroom to a moderate bedroom. I was home alone and the noises were pretty intense and close. Heavy walking around close to bed and into the next room. It was more than I could handle and I left for awhile.

This is the room my daughter slept in. She often spoke of waking and seeing an old lady in different places in the room, sometimes sitting right on the bed, watching her sleep.

Both my daughters, my step daughter and my current girlfriend have all seen this lady. Always watching someone sleeping. They see her clear enough to describe her hair and clothing.

My son and I have both spotted twice apiece the outline/image of a man shuffling from the driveway, through the porch and across the kitchen. He does not acknowledge us and is always in the same shuffle.

There is also a 'shadow' that I keep catching out of the corner of my eye. I get the impression that it a small boy, or child at any rate. Most usually dashing about the kitchen and shed.

Once I was soldering in the basement. I was home alone when I heard women chatting. I thought my daughters had come home and I went up to see them. No one was there. Kind of freaked, I checked the house and locked the doors and went back to soldering. The voices resumed.

Another time I was refinishing the interior doors. I had removed the door between the parlor and kitchen. Later that night I was checking the house before going to bed and as I stepped into the parlor someone yelled 'Hey' from the doorway. It jumped the heck out of me and was loud enough to wake the baby. Startled, I started turning on lights. I got a bad vibe from the pantry and did not go in to turn on that light. On my way out of the kitchen a loud bang sounded from the pantry.

My ex had dogs in the house. Occasionally they would go crazy. Once the shepherd tore the kitchen up trying to get out. When we got to him he was so crazed that he couldn't stand.

The other shepherd would wake up barking and hackled, always facing the corner where the couch sits. He would back up snarling and barking and then 'follow' something into the downstairs hallway and then come back out and go back to sleep as if nothing happened.

There are other things that are harder to put a finger on. Things moved or missing and you find yourself doubting yourself or blaming someone else.

When my grandmother was in the hospital my brother stayed with my grandfather. Everyday something was moved or taken. My grandfather always denied involvement and we believe him.

4AM seems to have some significance as often members of the house (none of us morning people) will wake wide awake at that time.

Few people stay that do not have some experience in the house. Despite it all everyone comments on how secure and homey they feel there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Halp0rt1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Halp0rt1 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Does anyone have experience with 'blue bubbles'?

My three year old has called out to me in a panic on a couple of occasions in the middle of the night with a story of a blue bubble (he will correct you if you call it a blue ball). He is terrified saying that the bubble wants to play but is mad at him and at me. He says it touched him on the knee the other night.
I am very careful about asking leading questions so these are his facts. He ascribes no gender to it. He says it has no face and does not talk but it does want to play and is mad. How he knows this I do not know.
I concerns me to see my normally fearless son so terrified in the night that he buries his face into his pillow to the point of resisting me when I go to rescue him.
rubyrose_99 (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Looks like you're not the only ones living there! The house also belongs to another family ❤
Halp0rt1 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-13)
Yeah. It is amazing what you can get used to and what you never get used to.
I still live here. I can't imagine moving. Someday I will be the unseen occupant of this house.
Someday I will have it investigated. I don't feel a need to have someone else substantiate what I already know and with a small boy here I do not need to rile any spirits up.
I do have a few specific places on the property I would like checked out, however. Sometimes unnerving places and a unusually cold spot on the back lawn.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Hi HalpOrt1. It sounds like you are still living there, as FRAWIN said, it's amazing what you can get used to. It sounds like there's quite a mixed bag of things going on there, some things quite frightening. I really enjoyed reading of your experiences and if there's more to tell I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for sharing your story.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
A home isn't just a building we live in. Its a place where we feel good. A place that when we finish work, your always in a hurry to get there. I believe a home like yours being passed down is something special. My house was built by father and grandfather. My father still lives in this house but it will be passed down to me and maybe someday to my children. A house that connects us all. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
I always ask if there are teens in a house when poltergeist activity takes place. That would not account for the old lady that was seen. The footsteps could be residual along with the voices you heard chatting. Sounds like a hot bed of activity and it would be wonderful to have it professionally investigated. I too live in an old house circa 1886 but I don't think I have any active spirits. Not that a few things out of the ordinary haven't happened but for the most part this is a quiet home with good vibes. Maybe that is due to it once being a convent. My son was living here before it was under construction and he swore he would hear voices upstairs when he was alone in the house. I have never heard such things. I did get tapped on the upper arm up in our attic but I didn't get creeped out I just thought it odd. Sometimes we hear crashes and investigate and nothing is out of place. We tend to blame that on the cats and the fact that I have little carpeting so sounds seem magnified. I don't know whether to be a bit envious or thankful lol. Great story. Very believable.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
It kind of reminds me of my old home place- you would be surprised what a person can get use to. It can scare the wax out of you one minute and give you the "warm fuzzies" the next. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I really enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
It certainly sounds as if your family may not be the only family living in the home. Not to make light of your story, it reminds me of the scenario in the movie 'The Others', two families in one dwelling, one on each plane.

Thanks for sharing,

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
That was an amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing!

I also got the feeling of 'homey' despite the loud noices and obviously the uneasy feeling after knowing there's someone there you can't see.

I trully hope you will be back soon with more.

Welcome 😊
Halp0rt1 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
In my opinion I would say that I have two intelligent spirits and one residual. This is not taking into account the women I heard chatting in the cellar. The interesting thing about this part of the cellar is it used to be the first floor level more or less. At some time they dug down probably three feet and banked up the ground three feet to make a six foot cellar and raised the first floor to the top of that. I have found evidence that the original house burned. This original stucture would have been right where I was sitting soldering!
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
That home sounds like something I would love to investigate! You have for sure experienced the 'unknown'! Do you think the spirits in your home are residual hauntings or intelligent hauntings? That is a very good story! Take care and keep us posted! I'd love to hear more! 😊
Halp0rt1 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
The home and property is dear to all of us. I am sure in my passing there will some discussion as to which of my children will get to live there.
The ghost "Magaret" is more of a novelty than scary (usually). My daughters are less impressed with it (her, them) than my son and I. My three year old has yet to make any reference to it. Hopefully he will grow up thinking it is normal.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Wow! I would absolutely love to visit your home. That is so awesome that you house is being passed down generations. I know that all of that can be very scary. When I was living in my parents haunted house, I was always terrified and ay night I never moved an inch because of all the movement going on in the middleof the night. Do you think that your children and their children will continue to live here?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: