You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Black Dog

 

I've been able to see spirits and see the future since I was a child. It has not been easy and it has only been the last few years that I've been able to understand why I see or hear what I do. With my visits, I've become very hooked on learning all I can about other people and their shared experiences. With my studies I've learned about the "Black Dog", but have never seen one. I really didn't think I would. Every thing I have read or heard is finally been proven to me, but I'm still puzzled by what I experienced.

Sometime during the night of July 12, 2008, I was awoken to a Very Large, Black, Hound Dog at the side of my bed looking at my husband. This dog was face to face with my husband. I screamed. My husband rolled over and grabbed me to let me know that every thing is alright and tried to calm me, however, I could not stop shaking for this "Black Dog" had turned toward our bedroom door and slowing started to walk while my husband held me.

What I saw was not anything like I've read. This creature did not have any eyes; in fact, I never really did see his face. I had seen the outline of this large dog, with its body completely black. It had a very long tail that he was holding up with it curled, slightly. It was not shagged, but short haired. It was large like a bear, but thin like a Great Dane.

My husband went back to sleep, but I could not out of fear. My experience was not over. At the foot of my bed I felt an animal crawl up and onto my feet. It actually felt like the weight of a cat. I looked and seen nothing, but still felt it. I kicked, and to my surprise, I kicked something! Yet, I could not see what I had kicked, but I felt the body with my foot. I then felt it crawl back on the bed and onto my legs, this time it went all the way past my knees. It was gone.

I feel with every part of me that it was the dog I had seen just moments before. What I don't understand is why did it feel so light, and why did he crawl on me? My husband believes that he crawled on me because I wasn't to see him and it made him more curious who I was. I'm still really scared. I did not feel evil, but I felt he was not good and not to be near me.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could help me understand why this "black dog" would be in my bedroom looking at my husband and then crawling on top of me? From my research, this is not the pattern of the Black Dog. The dog was silent, and I never smelt his breath when he was on me. I'd really like to know what this was and why it'd be in my bedroom.

Other hauntings by cricket

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cricket, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Thefox (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-13)
Hi cricket, I had been woken by something trying to bite or grab my leg in scotland, when I turned to see what it was I saw a big black dog on its hind legs, it gestured three times with its paw beckoning me towards it.
I shouted at it and it just disappeared.
I was a sceptic but are now swaying towards believing. Hearing your story... Maybe I'm not mad, thanks
LPC (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-16)
A fascinating story. Although it is quite old (from 2008), I would like to add my comments.

Cricket, in my opinion what you saw was a dog in his etheric body (often referred to as a "ghost"). For some reason, the dog had not transitioned yet to the astral, so was hanging around in his old home, or near people he used to know.

I do not think that you need have any reason to fear that dog, as it did you no harm. Traditionally, black dogs and cats have been viewed with fear. Black cats are regarded in many countries as bringing bad luck if they cross your path - but not in the UK and Japan - where they are regarded as bringing GOOD luck! These are just cultural stereotypes.

It would be very interesting to know - as has been suggested already above - whether there was a black dog who passed over some while ago in that house, or whether your husband had, or knew, a black dog (maybe even as a child).

Thanks once again for an interesting account!
nen6489 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-17)
5 years ago I had an experience meeting the black dog and until I now I didn't even know their had a myth about it. It was only a little after 7 P.M. My grand mother who was little down the road from where I was with my two cousins called me. As I was going in a slow jogging pace, I saw myself suddenly got lifted from the ground and fell to my stomach. I looked up the was a dog all in black looking directly at me, but the only thing was it didn't have any face what so ever. I felt more intrigued than scared. As my other two cousins came to help since they weren't more than 10 feet away from me, it turn around and started to run. It upper body remained completely still and it didn't make a sound, it passed in front of my grandmother and uncle but they didn't see a thing. My two cousins however saw it exactly how saw it and noticed how it didn't make a sound. When one of them help me up I felt and weight on my left arm. When I went to the doctor, it wasn't broken but just probably damaged from the impact.
luxuriaMod (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-12)
a black dog is usually a sign of death, that death is most likely itself symbolic.
Death symbolizes radical change, the leaving behind of that with which one is comfortable and familiar in favor of the complete unknown--black can stand in symbolically as a symbol of the void one might interpret as being the unknown.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-29)
Guardian27,

Stress may have played a part in both sightings. Try a search for the Black Shuck or feel free to try this link.

Http://nli.northampton.ac.uk/ass/psych-staff/sjs/blackdog.htm

Even a search for 'Paranormal Black Dogs' will give a Wikipedia link that may give you a good starting point for your own research... Just remember that when the word 'Death' is used when it is applied by 'Occult' believers 8 out of 10 times it means 'Change' (death of the old, birth of the new) and does not mean a literal 'death'.

Respectfully,

Rook
Guardian27 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
I have been trying to find information about "the black dog" for a while because of two episodes relating to this seemingly paranormal experience. Several years ago, my husband and I separated. I was asleep and awoke in to see the image of a large black dog about the size of a Black Laborador standing in the hallway outside my bedroom. I was shocked and surprised. The dog did not move, and moments later, it was gone. I chalked it up to a dream, but still felt it degree of apprehension and had an intuitive feeling that it had not been a dream.

A few months later, I moved to a new apartment, and my Mother and sister came to visit and help me move in. The apartment had a door on the first level, and a set of stairs which led up to a landing on the second level, from which one entered directly into the apartment. I had gone to my car to get some items, and when I returned, my Mother said, "Did you see the dog?" I asked "What dog?" Mother said, "There was just a big black dog standing on the landing - just before you came in". There were no dogs in the area, and there is no way I would NOT have seen a dog go into the building and up and down the stairs while I was bringing items in.

I have been trying to find out the meaning of this "sighting" and stories relating to "a black dog" for quite some time. Any insights would be appreciated. Both sightings occurred within a few months of each other and were during a fairly stressful time of my life.
crutypegs (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
may I email you my story not really comfortable sharing mine but you kept popping up with the same exact description to what I need help with I feel it is no coincidence. Please email me at crutypegs [at] aol.com please
Judi (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Thank you Badjuju for the welcome.

My cats are sensitive. I pay attention when they all start looking in the same direction or one of them follows something with their eyes or their head turns. I try not to see what ever it is that they are looking at because I don't want to see anything scary. It is more of by accident when I do see things, those things never scare me, so I don't know.

But my dog, she sleeps hard. She sometimes will just bark at the wind or sometimes look at me as if she is thinking, did you see that? It's weird.

I am glad I found this website though. I hope to meet new people and make new friends.

Judi
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Hi Judi, welcome to YGS 😁.
Maybe your dog was just too deeply asleep to notice anything strange. Has he ever reacted to the other shadows you mentioned seeing? Most animals are sensitive to ghosts and such. Most, not all. One of my ferrets is very sensitive, and I can tell an odd day is in the making when he gets restless. One of my cats, bless him, is oblivious to the paranormal. In the six and a half years that cat has shared my life, I've seen him react to something exactly once. You may just have one of those rare animals who aren't particularly sensitive.
Judi (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Hi, I just got an account here. I had something happen to me this morning. I was asleep, I have a dog that sleeps on my bed with me almost every night. This morning when I woke up, I saw a shadow of a black dog jumping off my bed. It seemed to be near my dog who was sleeping at the time. I could tell that it was jumping off because of the way it moved. I got curious and decided to look up anything about black dogs online and I came across this website.

I have seen shadows of things in my house out of the corner of my eye, but the dog jumping off the bed was pretty clear. I looked on the floor where I saw it jump down and there was nothing.

Pretty weird. I want to know why my dog didn't wake up when this happened.
Sidonie (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-24)
Hi. I have been researching anything I can find on these 'black dogs' for most of my teenage years. I hear many controversial information, good or bad, blah blah. Honestly, I believe depending on the creature it varies, as any creature.

I first saw one when I was about 12. Me and my best friend saw it sitting on the corner in an abandoned lot in a trailor park she lived in. Ever since I have seen him many times. He is not bad, in many cases has been clearly protecting me. I always feel much safer when he decides to come around. Again, I've never seen glowing red eyes or anything like that. He is large, resembling a black Belgian Shepherd dog, sometimes dog sized, sometimes he changes size, sometimes he's huge. I sometimes see the glint in his eyes, or he's completely black.

I don't believe these spirits used to be pets, and I don't really feel they are warnings or messengers of death or anything like that. I don't think you have anything to worry about
xAdiiBabyDoll16x (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-14)
wow. I have some friends who told me of experiences they had with a black dog, and I have had one with a large black dog too, but it was in a cemetary. When you see a large black dog in a cemetary, supposably they are called a "Hellhound", and they are large with red eyes. I saw this thing once, but hopefully this thing will leave you alone.
God Bless you Cricket!
❤ Adi
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
You're welcome. Just look up lone wolf on google and you need to go to a certain website. Sorry, but I forget the name of it! Cricket, the black dog facing your husband could mean that there is a spirit that wants to hurt him and/or you.

God Bless!
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-27)
I tend to concider myself trustworthy, though I'll admit that I was unaware that I had a reputation at all. Nonetheless, I appreciate the praise.
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-25)
I'd respond to lone wolf. I heard from him and looked for lone wolf on the internet and found out that lone wolf can be trusted.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-25)
this is kind of an older post, but I'm looking for leads. I'm an apprenticing metaphysist (wizard) out of cheyenne, simply looking for more experience. Have there been any recent experiences with this story and if so, I wonder if it's possible for me to conduct an investigation. I'll admit that I am not currently familier with the "Black Dog", but I will certainly look into it so I'm better prepared.
Piro (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Seeing BD once is good luck, 2 warning, 3 means death... Has your husben seen him again?
lukeyboy (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-12)
i have had a simamler (sorry for spelling) experience. When I was about 8 years old I remember it vividly a dog about the size of a lab came into my room and stared right at me, however we do not have a dog and this one had no eyes just like yours I felt safe around it and went to pet it and it let me.
It then turned and whent to my window but it just faded. The next day I found wallet and the owner who was looking for it my mom got a £50 rerward for it hope this helped 😁
nehajust1 (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
dear I am from india and I know a little bit of this B.D. Here we believe if its on your head side sitting face to face it will bring happiness but what you say is he don't have eyes meant for you have to be carefull about you and your husband. If you want to know more mail me at dir_a2 [at] yahoo.com 😊
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-15)
To me it sounds like a Cadejo. In my country there is a legend about a black dog. The Cadejo is an omen. If you see a black one you get bad luck and if you see a white one you get good luck. I don't know if it's true or not but I hope it helps.
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
I'm unaware of this "black dog" but that was a very cool story. I can't wait to read the other. Please keep us posted!

Trent
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Can anyone meet me at the chat room so I can have a conversation. Please? I would really appericiat it.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Hello cricket. For what it's worth, what run through my mind is it was someone's pet in the past. It may have also been curious to who you all were and what was you all doing in his master's bed. It maybe searching for it's family.
Thank you for sharing a very interesting story with us, I enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Maybe the black dog knew your husband. Maybe your husband owned a black dog when he was very little or the black dog lived in the house you live in now. You could look up the history on the house. Hope you find something out and keep us posted.
bigpatti87 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Another question you have to ask yourself is that was there any kind of animals either pet or whatnot that your husband had met or known in recent history that might have passed. Or even a nearby neighbor's dog or something that was curious about what was going on before he had crossed over and recognized you or your husband... You never know this dog could of been confused and just trying to find a familiar face and found it with your husband, but really I don't know but it is worth looking into.

God Bless,
BigPatti 😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Hi cricket. When you said you woke to the dog at the side of your bed, did you wake because of the dog or did you just happen to wake up at that moment? I ask because of the way you describe the dog as pure black, no features, and I wonder what the possibility is that this entity roams your house during the night on a regular basis. Being pure black it seems likely that even if you happened to catch a glimpse of it in the dark you might not notice it or maybe dismiss it as nothing. That kind of fits in with your husband's theory, which I think is a good one.It's curious about why you suddenly saw it, makes pretty good sense. Did your husband actually see the dog as it was walking away? Just wondering. I agree with you, I've never heard of a black dog experience like this unless it was a pet. Though you were scared, it doesn't seem like anything to worry about. It doesn't sound like it was threatening. Thanks for sharing your story.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Like Chris, I can't say I know much about these entities but still, I'd like to thank you for a very interesting story.

Hope to have you back with more.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Wow this was a very intersting story. I wish I could help you here but I have never heard of the black dog. But for some reason I don't think it wanted to cause harm. I hope others help you out here. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: