You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Buster's Dog Tags

Real Ghost Stories

Buster's Dog Tags

 

Last year, we lost our dog, Buster. He's been our family pet for about 8 years. One Friday night, he suddenly became very ill and we found out that he had an enlarged heart, which caused his health to decrease dramatically. To make a long story short, we had to have him put to sleep, which really distressed my wife as she was very fond of him (she bought the dog for our son, but it was really her dog).

Buster always wore dog tags, which made a distinctive jingle whenever he moved around, and you would know when he's nearby. For the next several days after his death, the sound of his dog tags could still be heard occasionally around the house. I heard it once, very faintly, but my wife and son have heard it several times. She wanted to believe that something else was making that noise, but I would tell her that it was just Buster letting her know that he is OK and is happy.

We had the dog cremated and a week later I went and picked up his ashes from the vet. When I arrived home, my wife said that, just before she heard the garage door open, she heard the dog tags jingle again; as if the dog was letting her know that I was in the driveway. That was the last time anyone had heard Buster's dog tags. I guess that's a sign that he has moved on, now that his ashes have been brought home.

I've never heard of a pet coming back in spirit and making his presence known. Has anyone else ever had this experience with a deceased pet?

Other hauntings by Laxe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laxe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RitaCMW (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Laxe, I have heard stories of animals visiting after they have passed, although I have never experienced it myself. When my son was very young, we had a book called Dog Heaven, which talked about our former pets coming back to check on us. This comforted him (and me) when our pointer finally died. Your family is lucky to have had this experience after your loss. Buster must have been a very special dog with a big heart and an old soul.
Laxe (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
Thanks for all your responses. Posters Danny and Jackie have mentioned that this was all our imagination hearing Buster's dog tags because he was so missed. That is NOT the case here. My wife and son cared more for the dog than I did. I'm not a real dog person and, yet, I did hear his tags jingle as well. So, the fact that our imaginations were working overtime was not the reason for what we heard.
HeavensJeans (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
Thanks for sharing. I just lost my golden retriever on nov 8, 12.30am. She died from a burst blood vessel in her lungs after the nasal melanoma has spread to her lungs and spine. I am totally in shock and in pain. I wish she would appear to me in my dreams but she hasn't yet. I will wait 7-9 days for her soul to rest before I do a private memorial and cremation ceremony. I am extremely sad. She was my furkid, my daughter and brought me immeasurable happiness.
Iluvanimals8 (4 stories) (41 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
I am very close to my animals, especialy my blueheeler mix. I understand how all of your loses must feel, but I do believe that you guys are hearing his tags because that's what you want to hear. But please, do not take my comment in the wrong way, I truely am sorry, I do not know what I would do if I lost any of my pets.
-Danny
PestedForFun (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-11)
If you've read my story, then you know why I'm commenting. I've been sighting my 2 dogs a lot of times, and I've- oh, I better not spoil the plot. Because spoiled plots are worse than spoiled eggs. 😐.
I also think Rhodes is right. My dogs come back for a weird reason...
Isabelle261 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
My dog just passed today and I came to look at stories for reassurance that his spirit lives on. Thanks for sharing this. I would love to hear my doggie's tags now.
StephanDragon (2 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
*smiles* I have my former cats visit often. Their little forms darting toward me like at feeding time or the feel of them crawl up on my bed and lay down with me. It is for me a comfort and to this day I still talk to them all the time. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. 😁
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
It isn't unheard of having a pet visit from beyond the grave. Fact is, humans and animals can develop and share deep bonds, just as deep as any other person to person relationship can.
mcadwell (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Our beloved cat Toonces died in my arms many years ago. After his death my son and I saw him twice walking in different rooms in the house. And our other cat, Magnus, would sometimes play with or bat at "something" that wasn't there. We thought it was Toonces.
AkatsukiDeidara101 (10 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-22)
I believe that when a person dies if they have unfinished business then they stay here as spirits until they complete their business, but animal spirits are a completely different story. First of all, I don't think animals even have spirits. God made humans in his image, not animals. If you think you see their spirits, it's probably some other ghost trying to trick you or make you feel better or worse. As a Catholic, I believe that only humans have souls.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-19)
Hi I just want to say I believe that animals spirits could always come back, My mom had a parakeet named Kiwi and she was Yellow and white and green, anyway one day she died and we buried her, and a few months after that we started seeing yellow green and white feathers around the house, and then about a year later, Me my husband and mom all lives together, and My mom got me a cockateil and he can say a few things, but one day we were sitting and watching tv and Buddy my cockateil, said Kiwi. Then the later that day my mom found another feather.
So yes I say that animal's spirits can still be present.
Tygerwolfe (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
*points to own stories* Many experiences... More than I've typed out here, too.

I've also had the dog tag manifestation as well. I should probably write that story up.:)
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hi and thank you for sharring this heart felt story with us. I am very glad that Rhodes brought up a topic I believe in. I to believe that spirits have the ability to pop by once in awhile. They are not always in one place. They go here they go there, its possible. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
paperazzi (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
I posted my experience not long ago which included a few otherworldly visits from someone elses pet dog. I didn't mention this fact in my story but I had a boyfriend over one night and it woke him up, too. Having confirmed it wasn't my imagination, I guess I'd be inclined to believe that yes, pets can grace us with their presence in the afterlife, too!
Cdn_Tinkerbell (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
I too believe that our loved animals come back to let us know they are all right. When my childhood dog was put down at the age of 17 I was devistated. He was my best friend. A couple months after his passing I went to walk out of my bedroom. I had been lying on my bed reading. Just as I got to the door I heard the thump of him jumping down off my bed to follow me.

I also used to wake up and you could see his outline on my blankets as if he had just been sleeping there.

I believe Buster was just letting you know he was Ok and happy.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Hello Laxe and thanks for sharing this heart warming story with us!

I have never had a dog, cat, etc. Before so I still don't know exactly how it feels even after reading so many stories. But I am sure of one thing, it is devastating after you have been with that animal for such a long time! My mom had brought home a fish (I know, its totally different than dogs and cats) from her office because there was a long holiday there. I took care of it a lot even if it wasn't mine. But one day, after I came home from school, I saw it upside down with its eyes wide open! I cried so so much that my big brother told me that death is a cycle of life too and a living being has to die someday. With that, I felt a little better. Anyway, I hope Buster's soul rests in peace!

Biemaster
Tonith (1136 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
I believe it. I heard my dog's tags jingle just once, the day we got home from the vet after putting her down. It was like a final goodbye. Our other dog which had to be put down 2 years later jumped on my bed for 3 years after she died. This continued until I got my first cat then it slowly stopped. I don't care what people say about animals not having souls because I would beg to differ with them. We loved them and they loved us and I don't think that love is ever a waste of emotion or can not extend into the afterlife. If my animals are not with me in the afterlife well I'm just not going lol. I am sorry for your loss but the greatest honor we can give to a deceased pet we loved is to give another animal a home. I hope when your wife is done grieving she will consider doing just this.
FRAWIN (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hello Laxe. I enjoyed your story very much, thank you for sharing it with us. Some people claim that animals have no soul, so they can't return or be in "heaven". I say that any creature that can exhibit the same emotions as us humans, can and do return and cross over to the other side. I know that I have a "ghostly cat" that finds it's way to my bed several times a month--and it "ain't" even my cat. So I say yes Buster did come to say goodbye.

FRAWIN
key2theafterlife (24 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
yes I have. When I heard Shadows (my dog who was put down) dog tags, I thought it was a spirit. It really was my imagination. Even my sisters heard the jingiling. It turned out that we missed her so much we created the sounds and preteded that she was still alive and with us. It is probably your imagination.

Stay cool,
Groovieness and love 4eva,
Jackie
Krysteen (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
I've often felt the presence of my cat who passed away years ago. He was 18 when he died. He used to sleep on my bed when I was growing up. We'd curl up at night to sleep. I'd read, and he would either sleep beside me, or if I was on my side, he would cuddle up just in the crook of my bent knees.

Since he passed, I've felt what reminds me of the slightest jostle of my bed, and SWEAR to the fact that I could feel him stepping ever so carefully across the comforter to settle in. This is infrequent now, but I still think I get the occasional visit.
JustMe2008 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Thats what happened when my dog died, I had it for 5 years. The only differance is that my dog didn't have a jingling tag, It was loud when it barked. It was a terrier. 😐
LeDiskoLove99 (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
I have heard a lot of stories of animals coming back.

I really agree with you, I think it was Buster's way of saying "Hey guys I'm ok and I love you..." Maybe he is even watching over you.

I'm sorry for your loss we had my dog put to sleep about 2 years ago, maybe almost 3. And I still keep his yellow collar in my room because it always reminds me of him and I feel a sense of peace with it there. So maybe anyone who has had a pet that they loved dearly die, are being watched over in some way.
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
hello. I have heard of many many stories of animals coming back to say goodbye, never heard of one that never moved on though but yah. I think buster wanted is body (ashes) home so that he could be back again, so he moved on when you brought him home for the last time. I hope that you stay in the house that he had for the last time, He would apperitiat it.

I had a cat named Lewis (I called him bugaboo) He went missing at the age of 4 and we knew he died of his over growing hip bone. Whenever I came home before he went missing I would always feel happy and feel like nothing can hurt me. Well after a month of missing we knew he was dead. One night I was crying because I missed him and I fell asleep, At 12:00 at night I woke up to feeling happy and I felt his presence.

You must miss him alot, Because I miss Lewis
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Laxe hello and thank you for sharing a sad but heart warming story!

I trully believe that Buster's tags were heard around the house as a reminder that he was away and had to be brought home again. That is precisely why you no longer hear them now although I wouldn't be too quick to judge. What I mean is that if he considers that your family needs protection, I'm positively certain that the tags will be heard again. He may have crossed but I'm sure that a spirit will travel back and forth to protect and comfort his beloved family!

As to your last question, although that is meant to be one of my next stories, yes, I'm certain beyond all doubt that I have at times been visited by one of my deceased pets and will again be visited in the future if she feels there's a reason to do so.

Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: