You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Monster In The Laundry Room

Real Ghost Stories

Monster In The Laundry Room

 

In September 2005, my husband, myself, our 3 children (and dog) moved into our house. It is a renovated lakefront cottage built in the 1930's in a rural town of upstate New York. We were drawn to the house for its charm and the peaceful lake, but I must say that I did feel a bit uneasy when we first moved in.

Within the first few weeks of living here, I experienced some strange happenings. The house is a ranch style with a partially finished basement, and an unfinished laundry room & workshop. There is also a dirt floor crawl space that you can only access from an outside door (I still can't bring myself to go in there).

One night, while carrying a basket of laundry up the basement stairs, the stairwell light flickered out. I tried the light switch at the top of the stairs a few times, but could not get it to work. I told my husband that we needed a new bulb, and when he flicked the switch, the light went on. It happened again the next night and I made him change the bulb. Well, this flickering continued for a couple of weeks even after the bulb change.

While this was happening, my dog was also acting bizarre. After I would get to the top of the stairway, he wouldn't follow me up like he normally would, but instead would sit at the bottom of the stairs and bark at me as if he didn't know me. Almost as if he was staring right through me. He did this every day.

A short time later, I woke early one morning before my husband left for work and found the front door wide open. Now, I know that I shut and locked the door before going to bed, and when I questioned my husband about it, he denied leaving it open.

I decided to mention what was going on to a co-worker of mine who had some knowledge of spiritual activity, and she suggested talking to the spirits and asking them to leave. I did, and other than some strange noises every now and then, everything seemed to stop... Until last night.

We recently finished renovating part of the basement, which is actually ground level because of the grading of the land, and closed off 2 doors that used to give access to the basement from the outside. We made a master bedroom, a bathroom, and my 4 year old son's bedroom. There is a door from the master that goes into the laundry room, which is in the unfinished part of the basement. Well, my son woke up in the middle of the night last night, and climbed in between my husband and I. He had a hard time falling back to sleep.

After my husband left for work in the morning, my son and I were lying in bed and he was staring at the open laundry room door. He said "mom, when I move close to you the monster has a mad face, but when I move to daddy's side, the monster smiles" I said "where is the "monster"?" He said "right there in the laundry room, he has a white face and red feet and his head is up to the ceiling. See, when I move next to you he gets a mad face" I asked him if the monster talks to him, and he said "no, but he puts his hand next to his mouth and whispers only at night" he also told me that the monster thinks this is his house. We got out of bed and I walked toward the laundry room to get a closer look, but my son said "NO, don't go in there, he gets mad". I didn't see anything, so I asked my son to show me where the monster was, but he couldn't look... He seemed terrified. He just said "tell him to leave mom, he freaks me out..."

We went upstairs and my son was telling his 10 year old sister about the monster. She asked if he could show her where he was, so he brought her down to the basement. He came running upstairs a minute later saying "yup, he's still there..." His sister couldn't see it.

After thinking about this, and what happened when we first moved in, I then remembered that when our next door neighbor came to introduce herself, she mentioned a couple who used to live in our house several owners ago that would always argue and fight. Well, apparently the husband went missing. That was all she had said. It all seems too coincidental now. I have a feeling it will be a long night!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jnan75, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mvclb3 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
Your story gave me chills... It reminds me of a house I grew up in. We also had "monsters/demons" in the basement, but they didn't always stay down there. It may be nothing to worry about, but I'd be more cautious if "it" gets more agressive. It would be interesting to set up a video camera facing the wash room at night to see if you can capture anything on video.
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-16)
could be a demon or it could be the man hard to say, but it is haveing a bad effect on your son and it could be a bad thing for you and your daughter if it doesn't like women. I helped my kids buy makeing them monster juice lemon juice and water with food color added to it or you can come up with your own recipe (that was all I had at the time) lol. It gave them srenghth and it helped them not to be so afraid. But I would bless the house and burn sage. Also put a circle of salt around your house my gandmother always did she said it keeps evil spirts from entering your home good luck and god bless
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hi and thank you for sharring your story with us. It is hard to say what it is. Be the description it dxoes sound like a demon but it may as well be a spirit whos fully manifestation needed more energy. But for sure you need to get the house blessed. But a smudge ceremony would do good aswell. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
I agree with having the house blessed, or what you choose. Mainly though, I would look further into the history of your home, and find out what happened. For all your neighbor knows, he could have left his wife at any point in time, and no one saw him leave, which would lead to a possible demon, or another type of dark entity.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
HI, this is easy. O.k if you don't know kids your son's age normally will see ghost not monters. Let me tell the story. (this is my though) The man and woman that lived in the house had a bad arguemit. The lady hangs you husband so that's way the man is up to the ceiling or his he is really tall. Anyway so he doesn't like you because your a woman and a woman killed him. But he likes your husband because his not a woman (duh).He might had on red shose when he died. And he could have been one of those people that are really white and can get sunburn easy. And let me guess the lady moved out the next day when her husband went missing. I hoped I helped.
GIRLIE
😁
DemonSora (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Yeah, maybe the Demon or Monster, had a hard relationship with girls when it used to be human. If my friends, Morgan or Ayaris would saw him, even if he doesn't show himself to girls. It would be impossible for the monster to hide from Morgan and Ayaris. Since the both of them can see the paranormal. They are my friends.

God Bless,
Dory

P.S.
Maybe your son can talk to the monster and ask him why he hate's girls? Get a Medium instead!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Hey jnan75 and thanks for sharing this unusual yet interesting story with us!

I think the "monster" doesn't like women or girls. I am saying like that because your son said that when he turns towards you, the monster gets angry but when he turns towards your husband or his father, the monster get happy. Even he (the monster) shows himself only to your boys and not to you or your 10 year old daughter. I hope you understood! I think I am on the right track! Find out the history of the house and keep us updated!

Biemaster
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
I don't think your child was imagining it. A four year old doesn't have that much imagination to explain something that has been explained by adults using the same description. Maybe that man never left the house so to speak. Hard to say. I would not want it scaring my children and would do all I could to get it to go. You can speak to it and tell it to go to the Light. You can get a priest to bless the house (sometimes this can make things worse) and there is also cleansings which has to do with sage and salt. You can get infomation on that from many on this sight. Hopefully this will not continue. Keep us posted.
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Dear jnan75,

I recommend a priest in order to insure your safety during a cleansing. A blessing also works but at times it enrages the entity. Like poking a really big bear with a really cheap and short scented candle stick. Aside from that, I am sure some priests are veterans in these issues and may provide further assistance.

Thank you again for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
jnan75 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Thank You Francois for the website. It is very interesting... Frightening but some helpful info. Thank you frawin for the advice as well. We are Catholic, do you recommend a priest for the blessing? Or is this something we can do ourselves?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Well I don't think that you have a whole lot to worry about. From what your son says it sounds like he is either refusing to leave or he doesn't realize he's dead. A good house smudging or blessing (according to what your beliefs are) should do the trick. It may not completely get rid of him but it will put enough distance between you that he can't bother you anymore.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

FRAWIN 😊
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Dear jnan75,

I believe your son's description of the entity sounds like a demon. I advise an immediate cleansing. I advise you to visit this website I am sure it will help. Take your time and look at every detail.

Http://www.ncdemonology.org/What_Not_To_Do_.html

Thank you for posting your frightening and terryfying story and sharing it with us. Your problem is in my prayers. God bless and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
esha (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
I do believe that children and animals are more pron to seeing spirits than adults are. My son for instance has an abusive imaginary friend my son is always screaming "mommy he hit me..." I have read a lot of people on the site saying that its best to ask the spirit to leave and usually they leave. I just really pray that he doesn't think you are his wife and then starts to lash out on you. Did you ask the neighbor if any of the previous tenants experienced anything in the house, maybe you should? Find out how quick they moved out, it will probably help. Then maybe all of this will help you determine if you need to take greater measures.

God Bless,
Esha

Ps. Keep us posted
jnan75 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
esha, I know... That is exactly what I was thinking. Could this guy's remains be burried somewhere in this yard, in the crawlspace, or in the lake? Needless to say, I am afraid to do the laundry now, and the door has stayed shut for 4 days. My son has been sleeping upstairs ever since, and just says "I don't think the monster left yet mom". I don't want to talk about it too much with him because he is afraid enough. Do you think children are more likely to see ghosts? My son has never made up monster stories before, so I believe that he has seen something, and that something doesn't like me very much. Maybe he thinks I am his wife. What should I do?
esha (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
It kind of makes sense to me to. Maybe him and his wife is the reason that he gets mad at you whenever you unknowingly invade his space. Thats kind of scary to think Lord forbid the wife killed him and hes stuck there. Keep us updated.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: