You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Comfort Of Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

The Comfort Of Ghosts

 

When I was 7-8 years old, my family and I lived in a three-story mansion in midtown Sacramento. The house was 83 years old at the time we lived there and had been willed to my grandmother by her best friend, Esther, who died of cancer at the age of 77.

Esther was nothing short of a saint. Never spoke a bad word about anyone, always saw the bright side of things, always smiling, even when the cancer became so advanced you knew there was no way she wasn't in pain. She died quietly in the Blue Room, which would later become my mom's room.

From the moment we moved into the house I felt... something, like I was never quite alone. Like a lot of young kids, sometimes I would forget to turn off lights, close cabinet doors, etc. After leaving a room I would remember to turn off the light, but when I turned around, the light would switch off by itself, and cabinets that I'd forgot to shut would close by themselves.

Our dog sometimes acted strange, but not in a bad way. I'd walk into the living room and she would be on her back on the floor, pumping her leg like she was having her belly scratched, or she would stand in one spot sniffing thin air, where a shorter person's hand might hang.

My parents fought almost constantly, and after a fight my dad would leave, and my mom would go to bed, leaving my brother and I alone upstairs to deal with their explosive fights ourselves. After a fight, I would hear extremely slow steps coming up the stairs, too slow to be either of my able-bodied parents. My door would open, but when I looked over, there was never anyone there. My windows stayed closed at night and there were no vents in the room. But I always felt a presence in the room, and despite being upset over my parents' fight, I always managed to fall asleep.

To this day I know it was Esther. She never had any children of her own (hence, her estate went to my grandma) and she loved my brother and me as if we were her own. She hated seeing us upset over anything. I asked my brother if he ever felt Esther was near, and he said he didn't. I think he said he didn't because as an older boy, he felt he shouldn't still believe in ghosts.

I believe she never touched me because it would have scared me. I think she stood just near enough to be there for me and console me the only way she could, when my parents were too wrapped up in their own business to come upstairs and comfort us.

That's what I believed then, and that's what I'll believe until the day I die.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RayneFalls1986, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SnailBug (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
That is so sweet. What a great story, thanks for sharing. She sounds like she's a lovely lady.
Francois (220 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
Dear RayneFalls1986,

What a wonderful story. Well written and the plotline was very touching indeed. It is always good to hear about benevolent and very caring spirits. God bless her soul. She cared for you and your brother dearly, that even after death she would not leave, a very heart warming thing to hear about. I fancy the story and I hope to hear more about your experiences.

Thank you for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. I cannot wait to read your next post. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Love knows no boundary. She loved you in life and death couldn't end it-consider yourself blessed. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Your story was wonderful. I, myself, have occasionally felt comforted by those who've gone on before--and why not? Even the Bible tells us that "love is eternal..." ❤
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Hi RayneFalls1986. I think that you are absolutely right. Esther stuck around because she knew that you and your brother needed her. What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
She sound like a wonderful Lady and let your grandmother have the house after she died... Since she don't any children of her own.
burnsrunner (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
After reading your story, I started to remember my own feelings and experiences about the ghosts in my life. Melissa Van Rossum, author of "Their Way Home", helped me understand what happens to us when we die and helped me not fear death anymore. Obviously I used to be more fearful about ghosts, but now I am just more intrigued.

Http://www.theirwayhome.com/
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
That was in icredibly touching story deserving to a wonderful lady. Like in life, sweet, compassionate and generous, that is what she remained as a spirit- a calm, comforting force that cared for the welfare and happiness of those around her!

God Bless her Soul!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Wow what a great story. It is always nice to hear about such nice people. It is only sad to hear that she passed away. I sometimes wonder how some one can be so happy at such timnes. As you described Esther, I believe her to be a great person and spirit who loves you all. That is why you felt no fear when you senced her. I guess she wanted you to be happy. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Not_scared_anymore (1 stories) (31 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
what a great story!
Must say a lot of people would have just freaked out, even if it the ghost was friendly and meant no harm.
You are dealing with it pretty good

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: