You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunting Hallway And Paranoia

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting Hallway And Paranoia

 

The following story you are about to read is true, to the best of my knowledge and belief. It is ghostly, creepy and was an experience that was very paranoiac. I have never experienced anything of this nature. Yes, I had ghostly experiences in the past but not of this stature. This experience I will never forget, because it was of a very bad nature. It was not pleasant, but very harsh, annoying and overwhelming with paranoia. This was very creepy. I did not know what this house had in store for me for the five nights I was there. This is my story...

July 4, 2008 I set out on a trip to Toronto, Ontario Canada with a cousin for a visit at his new home. He was in our hometown of Windsor, Ontario visiting relatives and relocated to Toronto with his wife. His mother is now living at their residence in Toronto, so this visit would be a great time for me to see her and also my cousin's wife. I knew they had moved into their first new home and thought it would be great to see them and their new residence. My cousin thought so also. He actually talked me into going. A very spontaneous move I would say!

Leaving Windsor late afternoon, we arrived in Toronto very late in the evening, just before midnight. David opened his door to their new home to let me in. At that moment when I stepped into his house, I did not have a good feeling. A very cold feeling came over me and it wasn't the air conditioning! I can't explain it other then this. But, it was good to arrive at his home and relax for a bit before retiring. Greeting me at the door was my cousin's wife and his mother. I was so happy to see them. We chatted for a while and then Donna showed me around the home.

The exterior of the house was a Tudor style with big stone and brick. It was nice. The interior I thought was very nice-all hardwood and ceramic on the main level. The family room downstairs was carpeted. The basement side was cement. The stairs going up to the second level were hardwood and the 2nd level was carpeted except for the bathrooms which were ceramic. The colour scheme reminded me of our home on the walls, natural except for their flooring. It was blonde hardwood, blue ceramic in the kitchen and white ceramic in the baths. I thought it looked great. The Roman columns in the interior were sharp and went up to the cathedral ceilings. They were in the dining/kitchen area. The fireplace in the sunken living room was stone. Very nice for their first home.

Donna showed me around room by room that night to get familiar with it. The chill I had when I stepped into their home went away as she showed me around. She showed me my room upstairs where I would be retiring and then we sat and chatted, a bit more. It had to be around 2:30 a.m. When we retired. I was so tired from the ride I couldn't wait to get some sleep. I unpacked my clothes, washed up and then went to bed. I knew the morning would come fast.

After a half hour or a little after 3:00 a.m. Things started to happen that I never experienced before. I was sleeping when all of a sudden a loud bang was heard. It was as though somebody hit the wall or something very, very hard. I jumped up from the bed and looked around. I noticed everybody's doors were closed except for mine and the bathroom! I thought to myself "what the heck was that?" I went back to bed and tried to sleep...again. Okay, I know I am not crazy and I know what knocking sounds like and I know what it sounds like when someone is walking up the stairs, especially on wood, and I know what whispering sounds like and I know what it sounds like when fingers and fingernails are playing around on the walls and now I know what it feels like when somebody is in your room watching you all night! It is not a good feeling at all.

So, as I said, I went back to bed. All of a sudden I hear knocking on the staircase walls as if someone is using their knuckles. It stopped and then started again. It got louder and then would get quieter. It was scary. Well, needless to say I put the covers over my head and started to sweat. Then I hear water, like it was pouring down the wall on the staircase. It was very strange. I mean it was a lot of water. This water sounded like it was pouring down the walls of the staircase. At this point, I was pretty near to having a heart attack. My heart was pounding so hard. I didn't know what to do. I was frozen and did not want to look around anywhere. Okay, I thought, I am hearing things that I have never heard before at night. Why? I couldn't understand it. Then needless to say, another thing happened. I was freaking out under the bed-sheets. Heavy footsteps were heard coming up the stairs. I thought oh my God. This really scared me. They were definitely heavy and slow and then stopped. Then all of sudden they went fast to the top. I was so scared and terrified I couldn't move under my sheets. This was the scariest thing that could ever happen to someone even though there are probably a lot more terrifying stories of this nature.

This went on for a very long time. 3 hours to be exact. My first night at my cousin's new home I thought and I think it is haunted or something. I couldn't wait to see the daylight. I finally fell asleep around 5:00 a.m. And got up around 9:00 a.m. I just couldn't wait to get up and go downstairs. What a night. Whatever it was didn't want me to sleep.

I got up around 9:00 a.m. Yea, I thought, daylight! I was going down the stairs looking at the walls, knocking on them to see if it sounded like the knocking I heard until I reached ground level. I then knocked on the Roman column to see what that sounded like. That was it! The loudest bang I ever heard. The first noise I heard to the most terrifying night I ever had.

While doing this David was in the kitchen and noticed what I was doing. He had no clue what I was doing, in fact he started to laugh because he couldn't believe what I was doing. I didn't know he was in the kitchen (oops). I didn't know how to explain to David what happened so I said to him, "well, I heard a very loud bang about a half hour after I went to bed and was wondering where it came from. I also heard some knocking on walls and water pouring down your walls".

At this point I felt stupid saying this to him. He said "what?" "when, last night". I said "yes". I said to him "I don't know about the water or the knocking... Maybe your neighbours were up last night and very loud. Maybe they were in their kitchen or something running water and banging their pots while putting them away. I don't know Dave". "I can't explain it". David says "No, they are on vacation in Europe". "What exactly did you hear?" I sat down with him in the kitchen while making coffee and he wanted to hear what I had to say. I told him everything I heard and that it was frightening for me. I said "somebody else is here in this house". He said "who?" I said "the others". Well, we both laughed when I said that but he knew I was serious and this wasn't a joke. I said to Dave that I need to find out where these noises are coming from. He said it could be the pipes. I said to him pipes don't make noises like the ones I heard. He said okay then we'll try to find out where the knocking came from. He opened the door going down to the family room and started to knock on the wall. He asked if it sounded like this. I said "yes". He said "I know". I said "what?" David said the knocking comes from this wall here. (So he knew about the knocking). Then he said "okay, I will stay up with you tonight, but nothing will happen when I am here". I said "I know it won't".

A little while later, David's wife got up and joined us, then his mom too. She was wondering what we were talking about because we were acting funny. We told her. She sat down at the table and David told her the events that took place the past evening. She didn't say too much.

When David went to take a shower upstairs and get dressed, Donna, his wife, told me a little about the house. First she asked me if she heard somebody calling my name and I said no. (Thinking to myself, crap, I hope I don't, that would be too much)! She explained to me she experienced this. Then she told me that a lot of the activity they have in the house seems to come from the family room/basement area downstairs. The stereo had gone on by itself and played music. Then she pointed out that when they first moved into this house, they were both at work and when they came home, the microwave in the kitchen was found melted on the countertop (with a little fire still). I couldn't believe what she was telling me. So they knew something was there too.

Finally, David comes down the stairs and joins us. He sat down and says "we want to tell you something". I said "okay, what?" Well, he explains, we got in touch with Sylvia Browne by e-mail and told her the experiences we were having in this house when we first moved in and she emailed us back and told us what to do. She told us to tell these spirits or whatever it is to leave us alone, this is our home and we would like you to go to the light. He told me this and a few other things. I did feel a little better because they had experiences also but I was not impressed with staying there another 4 nights. I told them I wanted to leave earlier then anticipated and they said "no way". They wanted me to have a nice visit with them. I said okay. I dreaded the night to come again.

That evening David stayed up with me and his mom until 3:00 a.m. Of course there were no noises, nothing. We finally went to bed. I didn't want to but I was so tired.

I fell asleep and a half hour later the noises started again. This time I cracked open the door just a bit with the ceiling fan on low with the nightlight on in the bathroom. I was scared again. The knocking was so annoying and scary. Then the footsteps started but stayed heavy. Then they stopped near the top but not all the way up. I knew because I played that out earlier in the morning also to see how many footsteps I heard coming up the stairs. I put the covers over my head again and my heart was beating. I was sweating. Paranoia was with me again. I felt something watching me again even though the covers were over my head. It was as if it was in my bedroom around me, somewhere in the room. Then I heard whispering outside my door and rustling sounds. That lasted all night. I then heard scratching on the wall in my bedroom but it came from inside the walls. I was so frightened, and I thought this is unbelievable.

What is this and why does it only happen at night-time. I knew then that this was a haunted house with some pretty ghostly activity-a kind that I didn't like at all because it was very frightening.

I finally fell asleep between 5 and 5:30 and got up around 9:30. Four hours of sleep again I thought "Great-not a good night's sleep the past 2 nights". I was the first to get up every morning because I couldn't wait to get up. I didn't care if I slept at all. I just wanted to get up in the daylight now. This wasn't good!

David got up a little while after and then his mom. We sat and talked. David asked about my night's sleep. I told him it was okay. I didn't want to tell him anything more. Donna got up and I mentioned to her. I was kind of getting used to this. I knew this would happen every night I was there. And it did.

The last night I slept in their home was the worst. On top of the knocking on the staircase walls, the footsteps coming up the stairs, the whispering in the hallway, somebody watching me all night in my room and the scratching on the walls, I heard something different. With the covers over my head, the sweat pouring off my forehead and my heart pounding so fast, a door in the hallway clicked open. The sound was so clear. I thought, oh no, not something like this now. I was terrified to get up and look. I did have to go to the washroom and didn't want to but I know I had to.

So I got up, opened my door and looked around at all of the doors. They were all in place. The bathroom was open as usual and the closet door was closed. It had to be the closet door even though it was closed. The handles on the doors in their home were not round they were the kind that clicked open and I definitely heard the click and a door open. After going to the washroom I went back to bed and it all started over again. I couldn't wait for the daylight to come.

Well, I also found out from David that the house is only five years old and the person that bought this house left after 9 months. The house was unoccupied for almost 2 years and then David and Donna bought it. The house was built on farmland and it is now a new subdivision. The house isn't very old. But, I did tell David that maybe it is built on some kind of burial ground or somebody was killed and left there and the place is restless. And do you know what he said "I think you are right, I think that somebody was killed and murdered here".

This experience was very scary and frightening. I just couldn't wait to go home and get a good night's rest. I told this haunting experience to my husband. He just couldn't believe it. Actually when he picked me up at the train station, he said to me "gee, you look tired". I laughed and then blurted out "I can't wait to get some sleep, their house is haunted". He just looked at me and said "what?"

Then I told him everything at home. I actually tried to make the noises for him. I also told him David and Donna would like you to go up to see their new home sometime in the future with me but I told him I don't want to go back there. It was cold and frightening. The only thing I was happy to do was visit them and their mom. I was happy to see them, but I don't want to go back there to that house. It didn't let me sleep all night for the 5 nights I was there. Another presence is in that house and it is not a good one.

Other hauntings by lilblackpom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lilblackpom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Niksterrific (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-22)
Thank you for your story! I could not take my eyes off the screen until I was finished. Very exciting, and scary, I loved it! 😊
ecb-tiger92 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
Hey my dad was born in Windsor! Sorry, it doesn't have anything to do with your experience, but I just had to say it. 😁
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi Brownie. Ya, it is a beautiful house but my experience was very scary. I never had this kind of paranormal activity happen to me like this. This was my first story on this site. And after I posted this, strange things occurred with me after! Figure that out? Lol Well, thanks for all of your comments and hope to see more. Thanks for your help, Jude 😉
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Thank you for this exciting story, I would have felt the same way you did, The way described the house it sounded really beautiful. It might have been someone's farm land and someone could have been murdered. 😨 😊
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Could be a farmer land or something eles or maybe get kill at before 5-530 am
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thanks for your input Rhodes. You're very informative and seem to know a lot about the paranormal. So interesting to hear what you have to say and it sounds like you may be right on the nose. Residual and intelligent haunting? Wow! It attracted my attention all right... I couldn't wait to get out of there. Thank you very much Rhodes.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Well, it would be too hasty to conclude that all of the energy in that house came from the same source as I said before. I do think there was residual or energy haunting-probably the footsteps that led nowhere and the identical or similar sounds that were heard at the same time every night. You said that it was as if each floor had its own ghost. Well, that may be the case. I think there was residual as well as intelligent haunting-the former because whatever was there didn't seem aware of anyone's existence around. It was probably 'an old scene' playing over and over again but the latter, meaning intelligent..., I think that the scratching and the banging that was getting louder and louder was meant to attract your attention.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
One more thing I might add, my room had a very creepy and scary feeling. The last night there was scratching on the far wall and it sounded like it was inside the wall. It would stop and then it would do it over and over again. When I put my fingers on the wall to do it here at home, I do it perfect but it sounded like it was coming from the inside. My younger brother really got creeped out when I told him and tried to play out the events that took place.

The last night was the worst for activity. The rustling in the hallway and whispers could be children. I can't explain the noises. I don't think I heard my name, but I can't say for sure.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hi rhodes. Ya, an orphanage. I'm not sure if it burned down or what. I will try to find out because I want to know too with all that happened the nights I was there. But, what about the heavy footsteps walking up the stairs? They were really heavy, like a big man or something. But when they ran halfway up to the top, they weren't as heavy. I will be getting in touch with them in the near future. Now David, he probably will dismiss this any further. On the other hand, Donna, ya, she might want to write about this and I'll see if she wants to do that on this site. It would be great if she would then you can hear what she has to say.
Thanks a lot for all your help, it's appreciated very much. It bugs me on end because I never had a ghost do this before like this, never ending until the daylight. We stayed up late every night because I was there and they wanted to visit with me so we talked and played games in the dining area. Why is it that I only was in bed a 1/2 hour and this would start like clockwork every night. The 3:30 am point was a lot of activity. I don't know. Thanks very much, Judy 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
An orphanage! Well, that takes things into a completely different level! I cannot possibly believe that the source of all this energy springs from one spirit/ghost only.

I'm not sure if the spirit of the murdered man was not perceived by David simply because David might have ignored the signs or because he isn't 'sensitive'. I feel as if there's deliberation on the part of the spirit itself in 'hiding' or staying away from David. I 'm not even sure if it's a spirit of this particular murdered man you were dealing with. Could it have been the spirit of an adolescent or a child? I don't think I can tell just yet. Maybe if your friend Donna could write her own experiences on the site so we can have a more 'complete' picture of the activity in her house. It would be nice to somehow compare her experiences to yours, Judy 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Same here mustang. It just felt like something bigger than a women, you know? That's what I felt, that it had to be a man. And with Donna having everything happen to her and not David. The stereo played and it wasn't even plugged in. I mean, come on! The footsteps were so heavy. And the loud bang was unbelievable. That was the first noise I heard. It was like he was saying, I'm here now and you're in for a scary night! Lol When I think about it, I can't believe this happened to me. It was awful. But, I would like to find out more history on what happened there. If I hear anything from David or Donna, I'll let you know. We should be talking in another week or so. I will let them know what you guys said here. This site is sure neat to have. I didn't think this existed. I just wanted to find out answers so I googled noises in the night and this popped up. It think it is great.

I had other things in the past happen that didn't scare me like this. Thanks, Judy 😁
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hey rhodes, David said that there was a murder and they never found this person's body. So, maybe his skeletal remains are buried underneath their home. That's all that I can think of. David also said that an orphanage was on this property like early 1800s. Because everthing happened on the 2nd level I wonder about that. But having someone watch me in my room all night wasn't a good feeling, I hated that, it was overwhelming with paranoia. And when I would slowly take the covers off my head, it would go away? I feel that this ghost is a man, something bigger than a women, that's just what it felt like to me. They didn't tell me if they tried to communicate with it. I feel that Donna, the lady of the house, was too scared to do anything like that. That's just what I got from her.
Thanks for your help on this. Judy 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
That's what I was thinking. That it is a man. Maybe he used to live there a long time ago. Maybe he knows that he can get more of a scare out of women. Not sure. I really would be interested on the history of the home and land.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thank you Rhodes and ChrisB for your comments. It is good to get replies from you guys on this site since this was my first story here. I do think though that something happened on their property before this home was built. Donna the lady of the home had so many things happen to her. I couldn't believe all that she told me. It all happened to her. David only seen the microwave oven melted on the countertop when they arrived home from work. Pretty creepy.
Thanks for your input. If you think of anything else, please let me know and I'll get in touch with them.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thank you mustang for your comments, it really is appreciated. I want input on this because I never had anything of this nature happen to me before. Not like this! Omg it was pretty creepy.

It was only us, the women, who had experiences with this presence. Never David. Would it be a man?
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hi lilblackpom. So did anything ever happen in David's presence, or was it only the women that had the experiences? They should find out more history of the land that the neighborhood/house is built on. I sure wouldn't want to go back to that house either. Thanks for sharing your story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
I'm not sure whether whatever was in that house was simply trying to make its presence known or simply scare you off but it sure did. Who wouldn't be?

Do you think your friends had, at any time, tried to communicate with it, to see if there's a need for assistance?

You said your friend had at some point learnt that a man was, indeed, murdered on the premises or the land-I don't quite remember. Maybe what this spirit needs is to deal with the fact that he has passed on so that he may cross. Maybe again, what he needs is to reveal something about his death.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Wow thank you for sharring this very interesting story. I would also like to thank you for takeing the time to write it 😁.It does sound like a haunting. At first I thought that these events were caused by the pipes. Because most things could be explained. But I believe that this spirit doesn't want to contact your cousine. I think this spirit is attracted to women. This is just a theory but do you think its possible? I just have this wierd feeling. It is a good thing that you checked the history of the house but to be honest I think you would be able to find any more history on it. Once again thanks for sharring and I hope you get some better osts then this one 😆.I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: