You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Neighbor's Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

My Neighbor's Haunted House

 

I'm going to start out by saying that I live in a small town in Northwestern Ontario. This story actually began about 6 years ago when I was about 9 years old. There was an abandoned 3 floor apartment building next to my house. Over the course of my childhood my friends and I would tell stories about spirits and spooky stuff happening in the building. I, of course, wasn't going to let on to my friends that I was a little frightened by their stories and stayed away from the building. But one summer day I got a little curious when I saw a shadow move past a window on the third floor.

Before I go any further I'm going to tell you the layout of the building from what I can remember. On the first floor there was a reception area, a bedroom, and some stairs that led to the second floor and to the basement. On the second floor there was, I think, three or four bedroom and another set of stairs that led to the top floor. On the top floor there were two bedrooms. There was also an enclosed staircase on the outside of the building which led to the second floor.

Back to the story, I was very curious about what might have made that shadow, so I decided to go inside. I went through the staircase that was on the outside of the building which led to the second floor.

It was fairly cold inside, considering it was summer. I looked down the hallway and saw the closed bedroom doors and the stairs that led to the top floor. I decided to look around the place on the bottom floor first, because I was a curious boy and never been in there before. I saw the basic reception area, a front desk and a waiting area. I looked behind the desk and felt a little colder and a little scared.

When I was about to go back up the stairs I noticed a shadow behind the stairs. I peered behind and saw some stairs that went into the basement and the shadow was gone. I went to the top of the basement stairs, but I didn't go down them. I began to feel like I was being watched and I just wanted to do what I came to do, so I went back up the stairs.

I went down the hall toward the stairs that went to the top floor and I heard some giggling coming from one of the rooms. I opened all of the rooms but there was nothing in them. No furniture and no one that could have giggled. It was then that I became extremely scared and just wanted to get out of there.

When I came in, I left the door that led to the outside open, so when I started to head toward the door it slammed shut. I ran to the door and the bedroom doors began opening and closing fairly quickly, so I did what any young kid would do. I cried and screamed because I just wanted to get out of there. I tried the door, but it wouldn't open. I curled up into the corner and just cried.

Then all the doors just stayed shut. I looked around and heard more giggling. I got up and tried the door again. It opened and I got the heck out of there.

I never told anyone about this until now, and even while I'm writing this I'm getting shivers because I'm looking right at the building.

Now you'd think this was the end but a few years later a family moved in. They have four kids, one 7 year old, one 5 year old, one 2 year old, and a newborn (that is their ages at this time).

I was invited for the 5 year old's 4th birthday. When I was invited I hesitated at first but reluctantly said I'd be there. When the party day arrived, I went over and got a good welcome. I went and sat down on the couch and started to get bad memories.

Now the house looks like this. The reception area is now the kitchen, the waiting area is the living room, each of the kids has their own room upstairs and the parents' room I believe is on the top floor.

When I looked around I remembered all the scary stuff that happened the few years ago. About 30mins past and I wandered upstairs. I looked down the hall, and noticed a door swing open and I heard a faint giggle coming from the room. I ran downstairs and just mingled with the rest of the guests.

Nowadays, they haven't been around the house because the father had a job someplace else, but they still own the house. Every now and again when I pass by the house going to school, I sometimes see a shadow pass by the window.

Well that is my scariest thing that happened to me. I still haven't told anyone about it and I don't think the neighbors noticed anything while they were there, but I'm never going to forget that.

Other hauntings by scaredshitless14

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scaredshitless14, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-24)
...hm...i agree you should talk to your neighbors and check out the history of the house... And would you mind maybe sending or maybe posting a picture of the house?...please do message me back:)

~Tora~
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
Hi scaredshiatless. Scary story to happen to a child as you were. Maybe if you happen to bump into your neighbours in the future, you can ask them if they experienced anything. It sounded like it was vacant for a long time. An apartment building? The new owners probably got a good deal on it considering they had to fix it up. Thanks for your sharing your story with us.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Wow That scary and Seem you should find why what cause them doing that I mean the history what happen the kid that giggle and the shadow.
Becky_babe (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hey R, Nice Story. Any way, as I said Before... You should take pictures of the house and email them to me. Any way... Sweet dude!

- Rebecca
scaredshitless14 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thanks for the comments...

ChrisB:
Ya I'm a little afraid of spirits now and I don't know really that much about the place nor do I know if my neighbors ever really experienced anything. Oh and I thought of my name after reading a really creepy story on here. So I was literally scared shiatless. 😆

Rhodes68:
I don't know if it was a spirit of a child, but I did hear giggling like a kid so it possibly could have been.

Mustang:
Well the father got a transfer to a job and the family went with him. But a few days after I wrote this, the mother and her 4 kids came back here and have been living here ever since. I don't know if they have experienced anything, yet, but if they do I'll let you guys know. Oh and I got in because the door that was at the end of the stairs that led to the second floor was unlocked for some reason. Maybe the spirit that resides there unlocked it just for me. I don't know.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
HI scaredshiatless14. Do you think that the family actually DID experience things, that's why the husband got a sudden "transfer" with his job. Maybe they didn't want to tell the reason why they were moving because they didn't want the neighbor's to think they were crazy. You didn't tell anybody either. And they probably still own the house because they can't sell it. How did you get in a vacant building? Usually they would keep vacant buildings locked up.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
That was either, one very playful spirit which enjoyed giving you a fright, or a child spirit playing hide and seek. Since you say you saw its shadow more than once, was it possibly that of a child?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!I forgot the most important thing in trhis whole story. Your user name Is GREAT. I heard a lot of different ones but this one ios the best! 😆
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thjis is one scary story! Thanks for sharring it with us. Indeed it was great to read. I actually feel very sorry for you. To go through something like that! That would be way to much for me. I wonder what happened in that appartment? Do you know anything about it? Did anything happene to the people who lived ther? I mean did they see or fell anything? I am very interested in this story. Thanks again for sharring. I bet affter this incident your still affraid of spirits. Dont fell bad because I would too 😐.I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: