You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mothering Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Mothering Ghost?

 

I have tried countless times to find any information about the paranormal activity at Ingestre Hall in Staffordshire England, but sadly to no avail, I can only provide you with the experience I had as a child. I have visited Ingestre Hall twice as a child with my school as an activity week, my first visit was in my last year of primary school I was eleven.

When we arrived at the hall we were greeted by the owners and tutors and were all placed in the main hall of the building for our welcome, one of the many things I remember is being told about a fire that broke out in 1800's which lead to part of the building being re-built and the owner making a point on numerous times of the hall not being haunted which looking back seems a little strange.

At Ingestre there is a master staircase called the Blue Staircase which holds four or five extremely large portraits of the previous owners dating back to the 1700's, of course we were forbidden to go up the staircase as it was the only part that was left from the original building.

We were shown our dorm rooms which were 4 pupils per room each having single beds. After the third night everyone was asleep before me so I had my doll beside me and as I was dozing off I was aware that the doll had fallen on the floor. Something immediately picked the doll up straight away and put it back next to me, I pushed the doll off the bed a further three or four times and each time the doll had been picked up and put back next to me.

I knew no one was walking around the room because I would have heard them get out bed and the sound of movement next to me but there was nothing. I could only hear the other girls sleeping. I have no idea what was putting the doll back next to me but it certainly wasn't any of my friends. I often wonder why I didn't run out of the room in sheer panic and fright but the only explanation I can find is whoever was there wanted me to have the doll next to me and was looking over me, I had no sense of fear at all, when I stopped shoving the doll on the floor I simply fell straight asleep.

The only history I have found out is one of the owners in the 17th Century which was a lady died there and left eleven children motherless. Could this have been her comforting me like a loving mother would? I truly have comfort in that idea. I hope that this has interested you.

Other hauntings by misfitsdoll

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, misfitsdoll, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Rhys_Cullis (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-06)
Hi, I have a story about Ingestre Hall which is of a different nature than that of a Mothering Ghost. I don't wish to make you question your experience nor am I questioning it. I went on a week long trip to Ingestre Hall, Stafford, with my School when I was in year 9/10 (I cannot remember exactly how old I was but my guess is 13 or 14).

I would like to tell my story as an article but the submissions page is down due to an overhaul of stories.

My Story is 100% true as I remember it.

I will provide a taster of my story in this comment.

Upon arrival at Ingestre Hall, my school group was sent down the far end of the entry hall for a welcoming talk, while the other school group was the other side of the hall. There was no mention of the hall being haunted by the staff there but later on that day I spoke to my tutor and he said that Ingestre Hall was haunted. He was known for being somewhat of a prankster and joker so I didn't believe him 100%.

I have always had strange feelings whenever moving into a new house (I have moved house many times as a child), and i've always been able to feel something that isn't there so what happened at Ingestre Hall wasn't shocking to me at all. My Mother is spiritual by religion and I have adopted this myself (I lived with my father from the age of 9 until 18 and the household was swayed more towards scientific explenations than anything paranormal or religion based so I am spiritual by my own choice but I get my conclusions from both scientific and spiritual educations).

I don't want to give too much away so I'll just start by telling the first part of the story.

The first night in the hall was normal. Nothing weird or paranormal happened that night. I was on the top floor where two rooms were occupied by boys and the rest were occupied by girls apart from one room at the far end of the corridor on the right which was the room next to mine. The toilets/showers were in between the unoccupied room and the girls room, which I will be talking about later on in my story.

The next morning I woke up and dressed for breakfast downstairs. When I reached the bottom of the staircase (not the grand staircase because that was off limits to everyone), I noticed a scratch on my left forearm that stretched 5 inches from the front of my arm to the back in a straight line. I showed my tutor the scratch but he dismissed it as something I did in my sleep with my own nails. This could not be the case as I have been biting my nails ever since I was two years old (its a very bad habbit I don't suggest starting). One of the girls who was sleeping on the same floor as me saw the scratch and asked me about it, so I told her I didn't know how I got it but I thought it was probably something ghostly. I'm going to Call this girl 'Laura'. Laura is going to be part of the story later on as well so remember that name.

That day we were shown the cellar which was kitted out for arcade games. I noticed one section of the cellar that was closed off by iron bars, there was no way to get through those bars without coming from the other direction. I don't know what is down that part of the cellar but from the feel of it, the bars were there for a reason. I wouldn't go into the cellar without a friend because I really didn't like the vibes I was feeling down there. It felt evil.

I can only remember certain parts of what happened during that week but the important parts are the most dominant in my memory.

On the second night after participating in the selected arts activity I had chosen (music), We all went to have something to eat. While I was sat eating my food, I overheard the girls talking about the hall being haunted. This caught my attention. After having food some of us went into the cellar to enjoy the arcade games while others went wandering around on the ground floor. I went to the cellar to begin with but soon became bored with the simplicity of the arcade games and lack of conversation, so I joined another group of friends on the ground floor next to another entrance to the cellar. Something about this area felt strange to me but I stuck around anyway as I was around a decent number of people. Laura had a Pendulum in her hand and was with her small group of friends, 3 of whom were sleeping in the room opposite the empty room on the top floor along with herself.

I asked Laura about the pendulum and she said it was to ask spirits questions that could be answered with either 'Yes' or 'No'.

The way yes and no are shown is by the spirit moving the pendulum in a horizontal or circular movement. The movement for the answer is determined by asking the spirit what is yes and what is no.

I advise you learn how to protect yourself before trying this as it can attract negative and unwanted spirits.

Later that night I went back to my room with the 3 other guys that I was sharing a room with. They are Jake, Jamie and George. We sat awake for a while talking about what we did that day and discussing what was going to happen the next day. My tutor came into the room and spoke with us about the same things we were talking about, then said 'lights out', turned the light off and closed the door.

Something extremely weird happened that night and it sends a chill down my spine every time I think about it or talk about it.

You can read the full story when I can post it as an article.

I will comment on this page again with a link to my Story about Ingestre Hall.

Thanks for reading my comment:)
spudnic95 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-22)
hi I went to ingestre about six mounths ago everyone in my dorm and others saw paranormal things and me and my friend deane stayed up on the last night and we called out and flimed some of it I had my lap top and I recorded someone or something saying "there dear" and another saying "but mother" scary
sophia786 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
SHOCKING AS EVER. Oh my god this story is so true. When I first stepped in lngestre hall, I knew that it was haunted. I could scene something was surronded like paranormal. Even though my teachers didn't believe me. 😭 Well me and my two mates witnessed seeing a ghost, 1 of them were in her room and 1 at my room. It happen in room 5, my mate was scared to switch the lights off so I went to switch it off as soon as I turn the lights off 1 of the girl screamed, she told me to switch the light back on,, she was panicking so I turned it on as fast as possible, she was in tears... Then she told us exactly what happened... She saw a white lady flowing by her I was like whatever its just your imagination she said no its real, I knew she was telling the truth but I didn't wanted my other room mates to get scared but of course they were. It happened at 3ish AM... 😨 Saturday morning this girl came to me and told me that she too seen a ghost and I told her my mate seen a ghost as well. I told her exactly what happened in our room. This girl In Room 4 saw a Victorian women in a white dress staring at her at the middle of the night it vanished soon she screamed & it happened around about 3ish by the way this happened at friday night. Thats interesting what happened at 3AM?
Saturday night I got up at the middle of the night, went to the toilet and came back then suddenly I saw something out side the corridor 😲 coming towards me. Firstly I fought it was my teacher but no you never guess what I actually saw a figury black shadow coming threw the door towards me, it changed to white clothing, looked like a servant with white aprian on she had a bun you no the olden dayz style and a puffy Victorians dress... That feeling was wierd suddenly start shivering plus it was hot in the hall way. I could hear something whispering into my ears, felt like a ghost walking around me. I couldn't look any more so I quickly went into my room. Next morning I told the girls what I saw some believed me and few didn't. There's something their that wants to tell us something, the pictures that are on the wall must be the famillies of the ghostly women.
pandaboo92 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
omg! I went there like 3 years ago, and I was there for a week and there was a time on one of the nights when we were getting dressed up, me and my friends, because we were going to the basement to play on the arcades and karaoke machine, and in my dorm, I thought it would be wierd but kl to see the outcome of taking a picture of my friends inthe reflection of our wardrobe's mirror. So, I did just that and when the photos got developed, I noticed that on this particular picture, there was a blue-ish figure by one of our beds, standing, watching my friends and I getting dressed. She had a towel or cloth over her arm which was on top of her other arm that was bend. Kind of like a servant. I was so shocked when I saw her. I think her hair was in a bun but I couldn't see her face properly. Her body language seemed as if she was just checking on us or watching over us in a mother-admiring-her-kids sort of way. This was the first time I had EVER seen a real life ghost in a photo that I had taken. I swear I would definately have shown it on my profile but it has gone missing... 😭...oh well...hey! What number was your dorm? I think mine was...5? 6? But all I know is that my dorm was somewhat the closest to the bathroom and to the biggest room. The room was HUGE and hexagon-shaped wiv like 6 or seven beds in it! Lols. Oh! Just out of interest, did you develop a head-cold there?...
Great story though! Fantastic! ❤The White Lady of Ingestre Hall is soo lovely...so, not all ghosts are bad then...
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
What an interesting experience! I bet it was her. People forget that not all ghost encounters are terrifying or scary. Some can be quite comforting. 😊
misfitsdoll (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Thankyou so much to all for all your input on my experience, I have more to write about as this was my first experience! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have a frightening first encounter:)
It makes me wonder would I have seen her if I had been lying on my back and opened my eyes:)

Many thanks to you all, hope to speak to you soon:)

Penny
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Wow what a interesting story. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Lady. I read a similar story in a book about a place being burnt down in England. Maybe it was this place? I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
That was an amazing experience, intense but very sweet at the same time! I also agree with your evaluation of the event.

Thank you for sharing a beautiful encounter with us 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
I would say you are right on the money here. A mothering or muturing entity. It is amazing that soulds can become as attached to places and vocations as to other souls.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
It sure sounds that way to me.

No wonder you weren't frightened--this is apparently an entity that likes children and wouldn't want to scare a child, and also one who knows the comfort a familiar object can be when one is in strange surroundings. That, I think, is why your doll kept being placed back in your bed when you kept bumping it to the floor.

Lovely story! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: