You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The West Coast Road

Real Ghost Stories

The West Coast Road

 

Maybe some of the South African members or some who know the history of our country can help me with this one!

About a month back, a couple we (I and the husband) are friends with, popped in one Saturday to tell us they were pregnant - to celebrate, we suggested we go for lunch. For some reason or the other, we suggested driving out of Cape Town for this special lunch - namely going out the Strandloper somewhere close to Mykonos on the West Coast.

Ok - after stopping by a Farm stall for a snack after a tedious journey - we spotted the heavy rain clouds. My husband then suggested we cancel seeing as you have to sit outside at the Strandloper - I have never been and at this point I start urging everyone to carry on with our trip - eventually they all agreed.

As Murphy's Law would have it, just before we reach the Strandloper, it starts to pour! Thunder, lightning, the works!

Bored with our road trip - we decided to head back to Cape Town. By this time it was completely dark - the cars were now fewer on the way home, as many people were enjoying their weekend in Mykonos.

It was just myself and my female friend on the back seat - the guys sat up front. My friend's boyfriend had taken over the driving much to my disapproval (he's a speed-freak!), while my husband sat up-front with him, but was focused on his cell phone.

I saw these lights flashing behind us, another car, I thought. Our driver did not move left to let the car pass. I knew our driver was a bit arrogant and stubborn on the road, but not enough to ignore a driver wanting to pass (lots of road rage incidents in South Africa).

I looked back, there was nothing. I was probably that tired, I imagined it. After a couple of minutes, the lights of a car behind us flashed again - this time both my friend and I on the backseat turned around to completely nothing!

We looked at each other and shrugged, but again our driver did not give way.

I started to get a tad annoyed with our driver and asked if he was purposefully trying to annoy the driver behind us. His reply sent chills down my spine... There is no car behind us.

He eventually admitted (once we were safely at home) to seeing the lights flash behind us.

I have always had this fear of that dark lonely road - my older sister used to make me tag along when she would cart my brother and his family up and down to their place in a town along that road.

Can anyone help with this one?

Other hauntings by trau

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, trau, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Mervyn (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-06)
Nice story. I was once travelling on the road between Kokstad and Harding in kzn and an ostrich ran past (overtook) my van. I was travelling at about about 140km/h and that ostrich just left me behind. A workmate travelling with me said chase it but I could not catch it. It was gone. I know an ostrich can run fast but I don't think they can catch vehicles moving at high speed and leave them behind.
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-10)
Hi Od1um

Thanks! I know this might sound really mean, but I am so glad someone else experienced this - I thought I was a tad confused.

That was my thought exactly, no turn-offs...

I see you have no stories - hope to read one soon!
0d1um (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hi Trau. I liked your story. The same thing happenend to me more than once on the West Coast Road (R27). We have a house in Langebaan (10 years+), so I've been up and down that road many times over. The first time that a experienced the flashing lights behind us was when I was 14, 9 years back. My dad is also a "speed freak". This car was flashing more than 3 times, I asked my dad to pull over and give way. He told me that he did see the flashing lights behind us, BUT THERE IS NO CAR. Between Yzerfontein and Langebaan there is no turn off's. I would also like to know why and what it is.
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Hi burning_flame87

You see, I would think some people were playing a game as well, but there are no turn-offs on the stretch we were on and we were the only car heading that way for miles... There was only the odd oncoming vehicle. Thanks for your comment
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Back when I was a little younger and a little less sensible I would sometimes at night switch my lights off and sneak up on other friends cars before flashing my high beams on to scare the shiat out of them. I would therefore look to possible alternatives because there are many; two separate cars which came up on you then stopped or turned off between the first and second times you turned around for instance. To my mind there is absolutely no way that this is paranormal so don't stress.
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Thanks for the input guys - I am still trying to locate any history of that area/road. In between "work" and facebook - I haven't had much luck!
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
I don't know about this one, but are you sure that place has lots of accidents, or it is built across a cemetery (this can be explained by a ghost playing a prank on you), or it can be what the posters said, a protecting spirit to stop an accident from happening to you,trau.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Wow thanks for sharring this very intersting story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. I wonder what the lights could have been? Maybe it was a spirit who was trying to protect you. Thanks again, I hope to hear froim you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Well, that's mainly because, quite often, these 'evil visitations' are nothing more that an extention of the participant's own feelings. Stephen King does a very good job by putting a face to all human fear and anxiety-nightmares coming true! That of course doesn't mean that all scary encounters are fake-not at all! There are good spirits and bad spirits as there are good people and bad people on earth.

Anyways, I love your stories trau so keep them coming 😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Hi rhodes68

So good to hear from you again...yes, that does sound possible. It does change my perspective on it when you put things that way - most of time, majority of people affiliate hauntings/experiences with negative feelings, terms etc.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Hi trau and thanks for an enjoyable read!

This is just my opinion but I think what you might have experienced that day was not simply "a playback of a past event"-it was more probably a very deliberate intervention by someone who wished to protect you all from a very probable accident on your way home. It was as if the spirit/energy following you was doing its best to attract your driver's attention and keep him more alert.

I'd be very grateful!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: