You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Protecting The Slaves

Real Ghost Stories

Protecting The Slaves

 

This is a story that occurred in the summer of 2006.

It was a very hard summer for my parents and me. We just lost the house I have lived since I was two to foreclosure, and we were getting ready to move into my uncle's house-he was already moving his family into a house he just built and we were going to live at his old house.

Well those plans went south when we got a call from him saying he has to sell the house to some one else offering more money than we could afford. So we were desperately looking around for a home to live in when we got a call from a friend of our family who is a realtor saying that they had a house listed for $90,000. Which was 10, 000 less than what we could afford; it had 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, huge kitchen. We though it was the greatest deal until we went to inspect it. The gutter was falling to the ground, there really was no yard, and there was asbestos siding.

This is where the paranormal stuff comes in. I was only 12 or 13 at the time and I already had past experienced with paranormal activity (note how I do not call it ghosts) normal kids are afraid of ghosts, me I was trying to find them.

My mom was upstairs looking at the bedrooms; my dad was hammering the details out with the realtor planning to purchase the house. I went into the basement fascinated to find a room that looked out of place so I walked into it and found a trap door looking thing; I open it to find a huge open hole in the ground. As soon as I close that I hear a whisper thinking I was just listening to the voices of my father and the realtor thought the vents. I hear a firm "get out, you shouldn't be here..." I look around in the dark basement to find no one thinking that it was just my conscience I kept looking around I got that "someone is watching you" feeling so I look around some more looking for something that could be giving off high Electromagnetic effects- there was nothing.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and herd again "get out!" and went to swat what ever was grabbing me. And found cold air. I RAN!

When I got upstairs in the light (mind you all of that was in the dark with nothing but a flashlight), I approached my dad and I looked out the window where they were standing and saw a grave stone in the backyard. So I said "dad we have to go I do not feel good at all..."

He told me to wait and I had to stop him from making the mistake of buying the house so I when into the other room and tied to force myself to throw up. I walked back into the kitchen area where they were talking and threw up. We then left.

After telling my dad why I did that he understood that I could never live there.

We found a home to rent until we could purchase a home. This home was just under the house my uncle just built and it was a shoe box compared to the mansion he built so as a family joke we named our home the carriage house. We then one year later found our current home which is no more than 100 feet form a lake, with great neighbors that are only there on weekends, so they let me fish off their docks, and here is the kick of it. We live 300 ft away from the paranormally active house

I am now piecing together what that occurrence could have been in that basement.

The area I live in was once around a stop of the Underground Railroad in the time of slavery. From what I understand this area was a strictly anti-negro.

I think that house was a refuge to those poor slaves. That hole I opened must have been used to store the slaves, the grave stone out back must have been the home owner at the time, and was protecting those slave, telling me I am not supposed to be there. A residual haunting? I do in fact remember a feeling of being scared as soon as I opened the trap door.

Any thoughts?

Other hauntings by DaveH300

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DaveH300, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

glfoutch17 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
It seems there are plenty of stories involving old houses that used to be part of the Underground Railroad in New York, as my father used to live right next to one as a kid and returned there later to do an electrical job and had a bad experience there.
DaveH300 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Sorry I haven't gotten back in a while it has been very busy at the Bowling Proshop I work at.

To answer some questions:

Miss_sherbert: It was a males voice, very very distinct.

Jasmine314: I do see how you can see you can say that, it dose seem that way. That is just what I collected from the occurrence, there was nothing else that made too much scene. I'm not sure if I put it in or not but there was a root cellar on the other end of the home, a very large one.

KimsouthO: that is an excellent idea. I will try to get pro mission. And I will spend a couple of days at the Historical Society.

And a note to Jasmine314: you are completely right, and I am sorry if anyone was offended.

An update:
Something that was said by Miss_sherbert reminded me...
I do recall hear screaming every few nights... I will look into it

As of today I haven't had the time to go to the HS for records, I have been very busy preparing for the upsoming bowling season, and...s...sss...s.school...yuck:)

Thanks all, and god bless.
-Dave
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Thats what I get for posting a comment without reading the others first. I didn't realize kecoughtan already described a root cellar (much better than I did) I think we've been working in museums to long 😆
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
That must have been very frightening for you to make yourself sick. Its good to hear your family has a nice home now. On a historical side note, I don't think that hole would have been used to hide slaves. Since it was obvious enough for someone who has never been in the house before to find and open it was probably a root cellar of some kind, originally used to store food before people had fridges. Whatever it was, though, it clearly made an impression on you.
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
Wow, I wouldn't have the guts to make myself sick. I highly believe that the spirit was protecting the slave hole. From my point of veiw it wasn't a residual haunting, the spirit spacificly tould you to get out and placed its hand on your shoulder, the spirit even repeated itself to you until you left. I hope you keep us updated.

Katona1700s ❤
miss_sherbert (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
wow there is a chance of it being slavery used, and when you opened the trapped door and you said you heared someone saying get out was it a male or female voice and did you hear any screaming or others whispering around the area? Thank you for sharing this storie with me. 😊

~ miss sherbert
Brookie17 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
That sounds pretty scary, and of course as usual we have to get all political thanks a bunch Jasmine.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
As you explain in your story, you are not living very far from the house where the occurance took place, so my suggestion would be to get permission from the current occupants and visit the grave. Take down the information on the stone and research it from there.

You may also try researching the home it self. If indeed slaves passed through there with the under ground railroad, it is highly probable that the information will be part of a record.

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
I agree with Rhodes68. It seems that you jumped to all of these conclusions. Although, these conclusions, if found to be facts, would be very interesting. Maybe you should find out a little bit more about this house. I'm sure we would all be very interested to see your updates on this. By the way, don't say "anti-negro" unless you are using it in a quote. We are in modern day now and there are other ways to say this. Although I am not African American, some may still be offended. Thanks for sharing. Overall, this is a very good story! ❤ Jasmin
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Yes it could have been those slaves still hideing from the white men. Very cool story.
GIRLIE 😁
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
These voices that you heard could have been trying to help you out. You stated that it was dark down there and maybe "they" didn't want you to get hurt by falling in the hole. Who knows what might have happened if you had fallen in? Would you have survived the fall? Would the "trap door" have shut on you? How long would it have taken someone to find you in the hole? These are just some things to think about.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
DaveH300, the trap door and the hole it concealed is more than likely a root cellar. Root cellars were common architectural features before electrical refrigeration. Root cellars were placed beneath structures or dug into the cellar floor for the safe storage of food stocks--typically vegetables and sometimes fruits. This kept foods dry, prevented them from freezing, and shielded them from vermin.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
I don't doubt you heard those voices. I hear voices all the times and no, I'm not in desperate need of medical assistance. What confuses me just a bit is that you draw a very far-fetched conclusion about the particulars of that encounter. How do you know that the house was a refuge of slaves, the hole was in fact where the slaves were gathered and that the grave stone belonged to the past owner of the house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: