You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Malevolant Presence Was In The House

Real Ghost Stories

A Malevolant Presence Was In The House

 

Submitting my first story, "Was I Losing My Mind?" was something of a cathartic experience for me. It felt good to tell it to somebody, and it felt good to get reassurance back from everybody out there. Thanks again!

I would like to tell another experience that happened at about the same time as my first story, about July, 2007. We had just moved to Utah from Boise, ID, and we were renting a house in Roy, UT. During this time, my wife and I were really trying to decide what to do: should we purchase a house in Utah's inflated real estate market and just work full-time, or should we move down to Provo to rent and to finish my PhD while working part-time?

As we were looking at homes for sale in the city of Clearfield, we kept our eyes on a house that had been listed for a long time and was in our price range. This was a huge rarity because the Utah real estate market was RED HOT at this time, and homes that were $220K or less were usually on the market for less than a day. We convinced ourselves that something must be wrong with the house, and decided to ignore it. However, as we became more desperate in our search during the next couple of weeks, we decided to give the home a look.

We called the home owner, who was living in Arizona, and she seemed totally relieved that we wanted to look at the house. She told us where the spare key was hidden, and that we could go have a look at any time. My wife and I drove over to the house that afternoon, and we honestly couldn't figure out what was wrong with it! From the exterior, the house looked really good, and it was in a nice location. We found the spare key, and we went inside.

The owner had obviously spent a lot of money to upgrade the house. It looked very nice. It was probably about 15-20 years old, and had new everything on the inside. We went downstairs to the basement to check it out, and it was roomy and clean. However, we noticed a small door tucked away in a corner, and wanted to know what was behind it. We opened it up, and it was a very long and dark concrete-lined storage room or cellar.

That's when it all started. The second I opened that door, I felt anxious and threatened for some reason, and I didn't know why. Shaking off my emotions, I closed the door and just said to my wife, "Wow...it's a big food-storage room. Isn't that cool!" My wife nodded her head in agreement, but I noticed that her excitement about the house had suddenly vanished. We continued touring the rest of the house, but I couldn't shake this unsettling feeling that something didn't want us in that house anymore.

My wife and I finished touring the upstairs, and we met in the hallway to discuss what we thought. Logically, we couldn't find any reason why we didn't like the house, and we started talking about things like which room would go to which kid, and where we would put our furniture. In the middle of this conversation, it hit like a freight train! My wife suddenly started wretching, and had to run to the bathroom (...fortunately, the bathroom was just right there.) I was shocked by the sudden display of nausea on her part, but not half as shocked as I was when I looked in the mirror right then. My nose was gushing blood! This totally freaked me out, especially because I never get nose bleeds. Ever.

A really dark and foreboding feeling was on top of us at that point, and we literally RAN from the house. We were disoriented, and we just went looking for the nearest door we could find. That door led to the backyard. In the backyard, I noticed a sloppy paint job on the backyard fence that was poorly trying to hide large satanic-looking symbols on the fence. That was enough for us. We hopped into the car, and took off.

On the way home, we talked about our experience. I was shocked when I heard my wife say, "When you opened that door to the food-storage room, I just started to feel depressed or something. And it just went downhill from there!" I told her that I also started to feel anxious when I opened that door.

We never gave that house a second thought. Whatever was in it was pure EVIL, and there was no way that we were going to take our children into that environment. However, I can't help but wonder what happened in that storage room to create such a malevolent presence. I probably wouldn't want to know.

On a lighter note, I hope that evil ghosts know how to flush a toilet. My wife and I were in such a panic to get out of there, which we didn't even think to clean up the mess. Whoops! Oh well... It was the ghost's fault!

Other hauntings by Anonymous21

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anonymous21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

soundofwhite (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-02)
you should totally ask the real estate agent why no one ever wanted it haha. See if anyone else experienced the same thing. And id be tempted to ask the current owners if anything has happened. Id love to know the history of that house. Maybe someone was killed in the little room you opened. Somethnig to do with the satanic symbols? Eek
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I agree with the previous post... This was not a haunting, but something else.
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but it sounds to me like you and your wife encountered something much more explanable like a gas leak or toxin. I was tipped off when you opened a small door to the "storage" space and everything happened after that. Sometimes toxins can be pent up in a small place like that, and when released can have almost immediate effects on people.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
It is stories like this that makes me thankful for the haunts I have! I enjoyed your tale! 😊
ailya (2 stories) (22 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Great read!
I bet your experience was truly terrifying. There sure is real evil out there; you're story proves it well. If you're interested, I would suggest asking the owner about the history of the house. It would be interesting to see if there's any connection between the cellar and something that's happened in the house before. Thanks for the story!

Blessed be!
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Wow! Excellent read - thanks for sharing!
Will definitely check out your other story/stories!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
WOW This was a very scary story and I realy enjoyed reading it. I believe that everything you and yor wife went through were very scary. And seeing the satanic sighns would be to much for me to. I don't know where Frawin is getting at but if you did indeed leave something its ok to share it with us. Some people have there own opinion and sometimes there are people who don't agree with them but that's ok. There are people here who will do there best and will help. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Well,that's sounds nice. The ghost does not want you or anyone in that house, that's for sure. The ghost does seem evil, or it could be a protecting one (if it does not do evil things to you and your wife).
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Wow. Glad you decided on not moving in! Brings Amityville Horror thoughts to mind. Great story. Thanks for sharing with us.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hello Anonymous21. The first thing that caught my eye that didn't seem right, was the owner telling you where the house keys were. It could have been like Kim said, she wanted rid of the house at any cost. I still get the feeling that something is still not right, like you are leaving something out-something that you think we wouldn't believe. Regardless of my "feelings" I believe you are on the level, that the events you describe are true and factual. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I found them extremely interesting. True evil does exist and I think you experienced a small dose of it that day. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
Anonymous21 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
The home owner actually didn't seem surprised at all, just disappointed. We didn't tell her about the freaky experience; we simply told her that the house wasn't a good fit for us.

I did not do any further research into the house, and I do not have the address any longer because that was over a year ago. However, even if I did have the address, I wouldn't disclose it out of respect for anybody who is currently owning the home.

I didn't keep track of the home on the real estate market. It's definitely not on the market anymore, and I don't know at what point during this past year it was taken off.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
VERY creepy story! I'm glad you had the sense to get out of there when you could. I too wonder what could have caused such a violent reaction.

I am curious as to the reaction of the home owner when you said you were not interested (and why she would even tell a stranger where the key was). Very weird stuff here.

Thanks for sharing and I was freaked out by this (I am sure the mess in the toilet is more than enough compensation for the home owner to give you entry anyway!).
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Yeah. I find it overwhelmingly odd (at least where my country is concerned) that the owners were so eager to just let you in to roam around. From what we can tell the reason was that they obviously really didn't want to be in there. Could have been nothing more than a really high EMF field but with a reaction that instantaneous and effective?
Yeah; I'd say that there was something funny about that basement.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
That was a pretty intense reaction you both had to that house! It's hard to tell what went on in there or if the previous occupants were 'effective' in whatever practices they were involved but, luckily, you got the bad vibes before making a bad decision!

Thank you for another very interesting story Anonymous
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi Anonymous21.Wow!I can't imagine what life would have been like if you'd have ignored your gut instinct. Good for you! Did you ever do any research on the place? I think I would have been fairly near having a fit to know what would have brought on such reactions. I can only imagine the horrors that house has seen. Tell us if you ever did find anything out about the place - please! Thanks for sharing your story, that was really something else.
scathach16 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Very interesting story!

I agree completely with KimSouthO. I'm glad that you and your wife trusted your gut feelings and got out of there!

😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Glad you decided not to even chance it. With such strong reactions from both you and your wife, it probably would have been a night mare if you had taken the house.

Do you know if the home was ever purchased? I would be curious as to the problems, if any, that current or former residents had.

Seems rather odd that the owner would just tell you where the key was and let you in of your own accord, I mean she had no idea who you were and what you were capable of. But, considering the house, maybe she is more afraid of keeping the house than of what others are going to do in it.
Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: