You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Children See The Darndest Things

Real Ghost Stories

Children See The Darndest Things

 

I used to baby sit a lot when I was in high school. In our small town, which is consider a Hamlet, there is a huge house in the center of it. Some lady bought it, used it for a bed & breakfast for about 10 years and her family lived there. Her husband was sick and had passed away. A couple years after his death, she sold the house. Then, a military bought the house. I noticed the family outside one day and since it's such a small town, I thought I would go introduce myself to them. They had 3 small children. 3 beautiful little boys who I've become to love and care for very much.

At any rate, I told them that if they ever needed a babysitter I would be more than happy to baby sit for them. They didn't really know anyone in the town and for a while I didn't get a call for babysitting, but the wife who wasn't too off from my age wanted to hang out. So we hung out and while we became great friends, the children got to know me. Her and I were talking and we had a weird feeling. She told me that the house creeped her out and she thought it was haunted. It was an old house and who knows what could have happened in there?! Well, her oldest son, who was only 5 at the time, came into the living room where we were sitting and he said "Mommy... Ashley... do you hear those screams? Mommy help that man" Amanda was scared and she asked her son what man he was talking about and he said "the man at the bottom of the stairs, mommy he's on fire, help him get some water." We were freaked out and didn't know what to do. We went to the bottom of the stairs, and didn't see a man of course. We ignored it.

The very next day we were outside relaxing in the yard and her oldest came to us again and said "Mommy I'm going to go inside and play with the good brothers." We thought he was talking about his two younger brothers so she said "ok." He went inside. But we looked up and the other two boys were playing in the sand box. So I went in the house and saw Jet (the oldest) playing in the toy room and talking loud and laughing! I asked him who he was talking to, and he said "The good brothers Ashley" I ran out to Amanda and I told her that she needed to come in the house. We got freaked out so we started researching the house. We looked in the old barn and there was TONS of papers and information on the house. Apparently there was a fire in the hall (at the bottom of the stairs) and a man died in flames. We got scared so we went to the stairs and we pulled back the carpet that was on the floor and there was a burnt spot. I never had that many chills run through my body! Then the good brother thing seemed like it could have been just Jet's imagination.

We didn't think anything of it... but one day we went up to the loft at the top of the house. There are 3 floors on this house. After the attic, there is a little loft with windows where you can look out to the town. We went up there to look around, one night, and there was tons of writing on the walls... where people had signed the walls and wrote quotes and things. Even writings from way back in the 1890s. We were signing it ourselves and I looked up and above my head I saw "long live the good brothers" there was no way that Jet wrote that. He was only 5 and 3.5 feet tall! We got freaked out and ran downstairs.

Also, in that house there was a hallway that they didn't use because it had 2 extra bedrooms they didn't need. So they shut it off. Well in that hallway there is the washer and dryer. I was washing some blankets for her and I got really creeped out when I walked into the hall. There is one bedroom that is kind of dark and creepy. I went in it before and still felt weird. I usually RAN past it if I had to go to the laundry room. Well I found out about the woman who owned it before. Her husband died in that room. He died of tobacco caused lung-cancer.

And to add to that... 5 days after I found out that he had died in that room, Jet said he heard "Uncle Charlie coughing upstairs and it was bothering him" We asked who Uncle Charlie was and he said "the man that sleeps in the room next to the washer" We got freaked out because that woman's husband's name was Charles. Jet wouldn't know that. We were scared. Needless to say they live in Italy now. ha ha!

Now the superintendent of my old high school lives there. She doesn't have young kids and she says that she hasn't seen anything weird. Tell me what you think...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Phantom380 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
I know exactly what you are talking about. My beachhouse is very haunted and it seems to be children that come in most contact and are the least afraid of spirits and ghosts. My little sister, Valentina played with two ghosts for years. Maybe the good brothers lived there and their last name was "Good". I think that Jet is one of those children like in Poltergeist, the Possession and other horror movies who has a real gift.
Laurenpop12 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-23)
CREEPY!:O that proves that there MIGHT be something out there that we don't know of! You have had quit an amazing, but very scary experience! 😲 😲
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-20)
Wow, that's an incredible story. Kids are so amazing with how they cans see things. I agree with a lot of the other posters, I would have freaked out about the guy on fire. That probably scared the little boy.
henry16 (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
that reason young children are so susceptable
to ghosts is because they have some sought of
nerve ending in the back of there brain that gives them some what of a sixth sense and as they get older that nerve ending is demolished through puberty that is what I heard any way

that sounded like a pretty creepy story
thanks x
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
I know children are more susceptable to seeing and interacting with spirits. I don't know why exactly, but it's quite understandable. Kinda creepy too lol hearing your kids say things like "Help that man" or "Im playing with the good brothers"

I would be creeped out

thanks for the great story!

god bless
CornCobXov (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
I believe you. It's not unlikely for your superintendant friend to not see anything. Children and teenagers tend to be more sensitive toward the supernatural than adults are. Probably because they are ore in tune with thier environment and haven't trained thier bodies to ignore what they consider strange like adults.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-22)
Good story, kind of creepy about the burning man though and then the burnt floor. Sounds like torture, this ghost re-living his final moments over and over again. This poor man spirit needs someone he was closed to when he was alive to come and help him cross over, that is if anyone he was close to or knew well is still alive. My Dad has shown himself to my daughter(14) and my son(4) but not to me. Some people have all the luck! 😉 ❤-Shelby
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-22)
What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing with us., It sounds as if the house if very active - but it doesn't sound as if they mean any harm.

There are many ways to get rid of them should they choose to. There are the smudge ceremonies that Shane has posted on this site.

My personal belief is to place a cross (at least one) in each of the bed rooms and preferably the main rooms. Have a Bible near at hand. Say prayers, tell the entitys to move on, to cross over where they can find peace and harmony.

Please keep us posted.

God Bless!
MELON (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-13)
How on earth did he know that! Its strange that he could see things you couldnt! Like the ghosts didn't want you to know?
Ashley Marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-12)
Yeah, I'm not sure if I really believe in ghosts myself because I've never seen one, you know what I mean? I've felt creeped out before in an old house but I've never actually seen anything. Sometimes when I go home (I live in a fancy old apartment building that used to be a hotel in the 40's & 50's) I look for things but don't feel that chill and don't see anything. I don't think I have a third eye. =( Which is probably best. However I do believe other people's stories, and this story was the closest thing I had to tell about ghosts. I wanted to share. =)

<3 Ashley Marie
Mary (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-07)
Very interesting story. When you hear stories like this, doesn't it make you wonder if small children are actually seeing a real ghost(s) when they are talking about make believe friends. Especially if the child cannot distinguish the difference between the two. One of my coworkers believe's his 2yr old daughter plays with a ghost because she will strike up conversation with herself when playing in her toy room alone, or wants to share some of her toys with someone he and his wife cannot see.
nicoleta (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-06)
i belive your story one time I saw a ghost of a cowboy I guess he must`ve died there it happened at rogers house
Heather (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
I think it is a very cool story, it sounds like something that would come out of a movie, but I totally believe you. I have seen some crazy things in my day. I liked it! Its creepy and interesting.
Ashley Marie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
those papers were really old and some of them were new. the lady who owned the house before kept them in the barn and stored them in this huge chest. she kept up with all the records because it was a passion of her's because our home town is really small and has a lot of history for such a small place. they were only in the house for a few months before all of this started to happen, thats when we went to the barn to just look around up there, and there were the papers in the chest. I should have explained it better. sorry.
Southern monkey (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-05)
I was babysitting my niece and I got to missing her I was looking for her and I found her in the kitchen in the Dark. She was standing behind the table looking into the corner of the room. I said kayla what are you looking at. she said a ghost I said really what are you looking at ahe said theres a little boy over there in the corner. I really think she saw something because she was 2 and a 2 year old wouldnt be in the dark kitchen staring into the corner unless she saw something. I was really freaked out so I believe your story.

-SouthernMonkey
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-04)
I know that some people keep a history of their home, but for you to find such a rich history is kind of hard to believe. I am not doubting your story for one minute, as I have had my share of children seeing and talking to something I could not. Now as for children being able to see things we can't, it's because they haven't had their minds polluted by what society says is or isn't acceptable so they are more in tune with the world around them.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-03)
That is definately weird that only children would see the spirits in that house. I wander if that has to do with anything... I don't know but do you still live near that house? Maybe if you have the chance you could go back and see if the superintedent that lives there now has experienced anything.... what is fishy about this story, not to be rude, is that you went into the old barn and suddenly there was a ton of papers about the house just when you needed them, what's up with that? I don't want to be mean at all, I'm sorry if I sound rude. I'm just asking, because it does really get to me.
Kodak (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-03)
Yikes! The family must be thankful to get out of there. Usually before buying or renting a new place, I'll ask about the history first... I've learned my lesson after my incident at the Park House Apartments (also a story I posted here, check it out).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: