You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Home, The Church

Real Ghost Stories

My Home, The Church

 

In my 32 years I have come in contact with a few spirits. I am logical when things happen and look at every aspect to see if something could have caused the situation. I moved to a very small town in Alberta about 2 years ago.

My husband, Mother-in-law and I rent a renovated Pentecostal church. It is laid out in two apartments. One is on the main floor and the other in the basement. The basement used to be where they kept the bodies for wakes until the funeral service. Once the morgue opened up in town they started using this area as a Sunday school.

All was quiet until this past spring. Because we live in such a small town my mother-in-law refuses to lock her door. We have separate entrances. This bothers me as I grew up in a very large city so locking doors even when you were home was mandatory.

For about a week solid this past spring I sat upstairs in my apartment frozen in fear. Starting at 5 PM every day that week I would hear noises coming from my mother-in-law's kitchen. I would hear cup board doors slamming, people stomping around and general talking. I couldn't make out any of the words but it sounded like several people were down there.

I poked my head out in to the foyer between our apartments a couple of times and each time the noises would stop.

No I never did find out if it was teenagers or something paranormal. Being a small woman I was afraid to go down there in case something happened to me.

The noises lasted about an hour. From sitting on my couch I can see anyone who enters or exits my mother-in-law's back door. I never did see anyone come or go.

As for the front door we do not have a key for it and it's always kept locked by a dead bolt. Every evening after the noises stopped I would check the front door and the dead bolt was always locked.

I was truly more afraid that it was teenager who could brain me with a baseball bat then anything paranormal. When I mentioned this to my mother-in-law she informed me that nothing was ever out of place that week as if someone had been rummaging though her things.

My husband is a non believer in ghosts, spirits and the after life. We were talking about the previous story I wrote and submitted to the site. Harold's Story, and he told me our place was haunted. He said that he constantly sees movement and shadows out of the corner of his eye.

When I pointed out he doesn't believe in ghosts or spirits he confirmed but he still says that our home is haunted. My cats also do stare at places on the ceiling or chatter to nothing in corners. I have been told though that this is quite common. There really are explanations for all of these things.

There was an event that happened about 2 weeks ago that really made me think that we might have a visitor not of the physical plane. We have a satellite system for our TV rather then local cable. Our controller for the satellite controls the satellite receiver, the T.V., and the stereo receiver as we have surround sound. I had just changed the batteries in the remote about a month before. The remote was sitting on the coffee table and the volume was set at about 25. All of a sudden the volume cranked it's self to about 38. My husband and I stared at each other in shock. We were each about 3 or 4 ft from the remote. We have had this system and remote for 2 years now with no problems or issues.

I do not feel threatened or unsafe in this home. It actually has a very welcoming feel to it. I know we have quite a few experienced paranormal investigators here. I would really like some advice on how to determine if we do have a visitor. If I do have a permanent guest I would really like to help them cross over if at all possible. I have tried calling out a few times and have had no response that I can hear or see to date.

Other hauntings by Cdn_Tinkerbell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cdn_Tinkerbell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Cdn Tinkerbell--It's always a pleasure to hear a storyteller's responses to the community's comments. Thank you for the friendly courtesy.
If you decide to carry that bat or set up the camcorder or have another experience, please let us know as others sometimes do. Follow-up reports can give us so much more insights into phenomena.
And Lord, what a tough convince your husband is, to see his own father and still dismiss it as a dream!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
I wonder what it is that your mother-in-laws side was used for? It would sound as if it was a gathering place, or the main kitchen in an active church that had many feasts that started in that room. How interesting. As it is always at the same time, I would think about setting up one or another type of recorder. Video or Audio, and see what you can capture. Would it not be grand to capture a wedding party, or a baptismal banquet?
The thing about residual hauntings is that it is a strong emotion that binds it to our times. Anger, sadness, joy and pure happiness are just a few of the things that can trap the film on the air.
I suggest you get YOU a baseball bat. Even if you simply carry it around with you, or leave it by your front door. Give YOURSELF a feeling of power.
I would start recording as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Cdn_Tinkerbell (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
I want to thank you all for your responses.

JamesRobiscoe it didn't even cross my mind that it could be Harold or my Grandfather. Both items that seemed to attract them are long gone. However now that you have me think in that direction it could possibly be my Godmother who died at the age of 90 about 3.5 years ago...Hmmmmmm.

Girlie good suggestions. I have tried calling out... Just the other day actually... And got nothing. No knocks nothing moved...Nada...I will try again though!

Frawin I did think about setting up a voice recorder but decided not to for 2 reasons. I have 2 VERY active cats that might make the end results sketchy and well EVP scare the daylights out of me! I get a horrible feeling everytime I hear one. I will look into either setting up my Camcorder or maybe my webcam to do some taping while we are sleeping or at work.

Lisamaxw My mother-in-law says she has not noticed anything strange at all. I truely believe that at her age if she came home to find cabinet doors open she would chalk it up to a falty memory. The building is Stucco and very drafty. I really think that if there is anything hanging around it is someone who had good memories there and mean no harm. The place was a church for over 60 years or so. The whole house gives you a very inviting feeling and I've never felt anything that was possibly evil or had bad intentions.

ChrisB you could be right about my husband being more sensitive to these things then me. He told me once that about 9 months after his father died he was napping on the sofa with the T.V. On and the doorbell rang. He answered the door and standing there was his father. My hubby looked at him and said "You can't be here your dead!". He says his father shrugged and turned and walked away. Hubby closed to door and went back to the couch. When he told me the story he said that he had seen his fathers spirit noW he claims it must have been a dream. I believe his father was comming back to apoligize for all the abuse.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Sudging Ceremony. I'll have to give that a shot and see what happens.

Again thanks to you all for commenting!

Jennifer ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Wow thank you for sharring thgis story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. It must be hard for your husband to understand what is going on. I'm very glad that he didn't go crazy. He may be a non believer but he may have the sixth sence. That is why he sees more then you do. I don't think the spirits would mean any harm but we all know that living with a spirit maybe hard for some people. I would suggest doing a blessing but sometimes that doesn't work so the best thing is to do a smudge ceremony. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Hmmm. Has your mother-in-law ever experienced/heard something similar? Have her cupboards ever been found to be open when she knew she had shut them? The noises seem to be residual to me, unless your mother-in-law is experiencing odd phenomenon, too. What is the building made of? Any chance it's limestone? Also, I don't think I would try to capture an EVP. If you try to communicate with "it," and "it" is unfriendly, the interaction could be interpreted as an invitation to a carte blanche haunt. Rather, I would tell "it" that, in Jesus Christ's name, you are commanding "it" to leave. Allowing "it" to stay would only bring uncertainty to your life, and if you're already a little on edge about your mother-in-law's habit of leaving the doors unlocked, you don't need the added stress of an unpredictable/uninvited/otherworldly visitor! Let us know how it goes!
😁 Lisa
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Hello Cdn_Tinkerbell. It most certainly sounds as if you have something paranormal going on. If you want confirmation that this isn't just your imagination there are a few things you can try. Trying leaving a tape reorder, preferably a voice recorder running while your gone, you might pick up some something-try asking who it is and/or what it wants. Try taking pictures when you feel it is present or leave a camcorder running while you're gone. These might give you the proof you need to confirm what you already know.
Take care and the best of luck to you.

FRAWIN 😊
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
HI, cool story. I do have some ideas to tell if you have ghost. You say out loud strong and clear " Push something over if you can hear me" or " Tell me your name". For the tell me your name you might want a tape recorder. If you wanted them to leave you want to use the tell me your name. Because the you can say their name and tell them to go into the light. I hoped I helped. Please let me know if it works.
GIRLIE 😁 ❤ 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Hello, Cdn Tinkerbell. I reread Harold's Story too and wonder if you've tried putting together your earlier experiences with these recent ones. Of course the spirits could be from the church's one-time morgue, but since you are eseentially not afraid, could it be your Grandfather and/or Harold come to play again? Do you still have Grandfather's rocker and the marionette in plain view? I notice the "remote" figures in both places' phenomena. Your skeptic husband (nothing wrong in waiting for proof) understandably hesitates to open that door in his mind, and your mother-in-law must not experience anything. Are they the lucky ones? Dunno, but the best of investigations to you.
Blackout (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
I've had the same thing happen to me, I have my own radio and once when I was sleeping my radio turned on and it was turned to it's full volume.
Kirska (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
I've heard a similar thing with the TV volume before. Spirits must like listening to things LOUD!:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: