You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Chris Is A Welcome Presence In Our Home

Real Ghost Stories

Chris Is A Welcome Presence In Our Home

 

We had a good one for Halloween, but maybe it was coincidence. Not.

I live with a widower who lost his beloved wife, Chris, of twenty years to cancer. She started an extensive garden where we spend most of our time. Quite a legacy. He does not believe in any after life, end of subject. I have gently insisted Chris is still about a few times and let go of it. I have only picked up on her a few times in the last two years, but if you listen quietly and be aware, she is obvious.

On Halloween, we do a pretty big shindig in the front, crone outfits, real witch house atmosphere, etc. If you want a good laugh, see http://www.packrat-pro.com/halloween/halloween8.htm. I have been doing this for many years, and the neighbors will pass by to watch the progress of my hand made spider webs as All Hollow's Eve approaches. I left that house during a divorce, and once settled in with David, I was looking forward to Halloween again. His porch was absolutely perfect place for a new haunting spot, so to speak. A woman passed the house while I was spinning my webs, happily exclaiming, "So this is where you are now!"

Halloween finally arrives, and I am outside in full hag makeup, handing out candy to terrified children. A woman approached us asking about our house, stood in front of me with David at my side, 'listening' for a time and finally asked who was the spirit in our house? Who was Chris? You could have bowled David over with a whisper.

There have been a few times when something definite has occurred, in about five years of being in or around the house.

I was sitting in the room where she spent most of her dying years, looking at the window out to the yard. Its framing is a tad sloppy. I heard, as clear as day, her say something to the effect of "If you let me live, God, I will never complain about that window again..." It was said in a fashion that made me feel that she had a new appreciation for all things in life, even the crookedly framed window that is quite askew. It was quite sad.

Last May, we were driving along on a curving, woodsy road in town that parallels a large creek, a great sunny Saturday, the girls in the back seat. We were hit head on by someone who wanted our lane more than we did and didn't give us time to get out of her way. She was going about 60, we were doing 35. Neither car made it, and by all rights, we should have been tipped over upside down into the full running creek. We did end up airborne, what an experience.

I came out of that car swearing with an attitude I didn't know I could demonstrate. Immediately after we got the girls out of the car and trying to collect our thoughts enough to function, other things on my mind, right out of the blue I just 'got' it that Chris (whose car we were driving) was responsible for the fact we were not hurt, or dead. Loud and clear. Non-negotiable.

A few hours later we returned finally home courtesy of the local police department. I was standing in the living room and contemplating life. I watched the small bottle of Chris' ashes pop off the living room library shelves as I stood right there. You couldn't ask for better confirmation.

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-22)
Wow!A ghost that can protect you!Awsom!I would love that. I have had a spirit in my life. But that ghost is good and will never harm you.Yay! 😁
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
How lucky to have such a spirit at your side. I hope she finds happiness and passes on though! It looks like you all have some real fun on Halloween! I am checking out the site, and those spider webs are awesome! I enjoyed your story! 😊
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi Brownie! You know I couldn't help but turn to David with a "Told ya!" on my face. He was rather, well, blank. Stunned might be a good word. That was several years ago, and since David now accompanies me on my hunts, we are starting to see the 'skeptic' engraved on his forehead start to fade. Ha ha.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hi ladyannne I checked out your website and it is a good website, I liked the t-shirts and stuff. But back to the story, In a way it would be freaky that airborne part, I know that since ya'll were in Chris's car, it was her that was protecting ya'll. Thank you for another wonderful story. My question is the one Bette asked, and how did David act when the woman said Chris's name?

Thanks again for sharing 😊 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Wow thank you for sharring another interesting story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. I was a little shocked when the Lady came up to the house and knew there was a spirit in there! I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Just looked at the pics. Fabulous. Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this kind of thing lol. Now if I could only figure out how to make a web page I could show my stuff too. I am a computer moron lol.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Talk about confirmation. There would be no doubt in my mind as well. Glad to see you are not intimidated by this spirit wife. Sounds like her intentions are honorable and she apparently approves of his relationship with you. Hope this has made David a believer. I too love Halloween and we do a big ta do every year as well. I have done those cobwebs and it was fun making them. We also dress to hand out candy and they have to come down our haunted yard. Then once inside I take them on a tour of the first floor with actors jumping out at them. It's so much fun. Now the kids that had come for years are bringing their kids and so the legacy continues. I am known as the Halloween Lady too and we never fail to live up to our legend. It's a lot of work but well worth it. Kudos to you for your spirit of the season.
ice_queen94 (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Wow, that was very interesting! Thanks for sharing. You sure made me shiver!:)
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Hello ladyanne. Thank you for another interesting story, I enjoyed it very much. I remember visiting your website sometime back and I must say you do enjoy Halloween. I will be patiently awaiting your future stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Bette, you should start up Halloween again! So much fun for the kids.

David made me wrought iron spider webs for the porch after watching me with the postal string a few years. It is certainly easier, up in two seconds, but I miss making them, actually. In fact, I think the iron web is out there now, with a black crow hanging off it, in August. LOL! The spider woman LIVES!

I used to be known as the Rat Woman, lived on Willard and owned many pet rats. Wonder which is worse? Rat Woman or Spider Woman?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
ladyannne-I just went on the website and looked at the pictures. WOW! When I was younger, we would put out some decorations for Halloween, but nothing like what you have. The pictures show the time and effort that you put into it. My problem is knowing that after I put everything out, I have to put it all back up again.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Well, lol, Bette, eight years later, he is actually going with me on the trip to Preston Castle this weekend. This will be a first. Guess the stories of Brookdale Lodge (a few weeks ago) got to him?

Top it all off, he called me the other day, excited as a kid. He said, "I got!" I said, "Got WHAT?" He said he 'got' that he would lose the trailer he was hooking up, shrugged it off as a stupid thought (he has not lost a trailer in over 50 years) and proceeded on his way. Guess what? Yup.

Two blocks down, the trailer unhitched itself. While he is hooking it up again, it all hit him. He had to sit down.

Mind you, he lives with a woman who tells him casually not to leave that glass there, apparently safe and sound on the counter. He looks up and says why? The cat jumps up on the counter and sends the glass to the floor. Crash.

Tee hee! (gotta laugh, other wise we would probably all go insane)
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
ladyannne-thank you for another wonderful story. Even after the woman asked you who Chris was, does David still have the same outlook about the after life?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: