You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Grocery Store Ghost 3

Real Ghost Stories

The Grocery Store Ghost 3

 

As I said in the last installment, I quit the store in October of last year. The new owners and I didn't see eye to eye on some things and I left in a tiff. After a six month cool down and a few casual conversations, I returned to work there in roughly March of this year. So far I haven't had anymore encounters with "Susie" but learned that she had made her presence known to the new owner's son, on two separate occasions.

The new owner consists of a man, his wife and their son, whom I shall call Henry. Henry acts as store manager so he carries the title of boss. After learning that he had a few experiences in the store, I asked him to tell me what happened. Reluctantly he told me his story.

It seems that both incidents happened on a Sunday morning. The store doesn't open until noon on Sunday. Whoever cuts meat that day has to go in a few hours early, in order to have the case filled by dinnertime.

One Sunday morning as Henry was grinding hamburger, he said he heard the stockroom door slam, as if someone had opened it wide and let it slam. He said he thought nothing of it, just assumed a draft had caused it and finished grinding the burger. He took one tray of burger and placed it in the case and as he started to go back to get the second tray, the stockroom door opened.

He said he stood there looking at the door, standing halfway open, knowing that it shouldn't be doing that. He said that it stayed in the open position for fifteen or twenty seconds and then slowly closed. He said it really got him to thinking when it dawned on him that the door was spring-loaded and that he had all the outside doors locked, thus making a draft impossible.

His other episode happened on a Sunday morning too, except this time he had a witness to the event. A friend of his had come by and was keeping him company as he filled the meat case. They were talking when they heard the sound of someone walking in the store. His friend commented that he thought that they were the only ones there. When Henry told him they were, his friend said that he heard walking in the store.

Both agreed they heard someone, so they went to investigate. When they got to the front of the store, they heard someone walking down the first aisle and every few steps there were a knock on the wall. This kept up to what seemed like the entire length of the store. They searched the entire store and came up empty-handed. Both of them was mystified because they knew they heard somebody but they were the only ones there.

Can I swear that what they seen and heard are true? No I can't, I wasn't there. I can swear that something is in that store because I had experienced far worse.

[note from the webmaster: the author of this story has informed us in november 3, 2016 that he was actually victim of a hoax]

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Hello Harperllen82. It's O.K., I for one don't need nor want my backside kissed<grin>. The ones I was referring to was the ones that get upset and bless you out for offering them an alternate explanation for their experience. I know that I appreciate any and all opinions when I'm searching for answers even from the ones that don't believe me, as long as they are done with respect.
Well "Henry" since his experience, doesn't smirk and roll his eyes anymore when the topic of conversation turns toward "Susie". So I would say he doesn't consider me a crazy old codger that imagines things anymore. I haven't found out too much more on the history of the place other than what I have stated. It's getting about the time of the year for it get get active again- if anything else happens I'll update the story.
Yes, I think we have a wonderful site here and I'm glad that you were able to find the help and support you needed.
Thank you for your comments and you are welcome on my pages anytime. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Hello again FRAWIN.
My, my! This story of yours has brought on quite a response AND discussion! As usual, and at the risk of being too familiar with your backside (lol), your story was, as usual, very entertaining and well told! I'm curious to "Henry's" feelings on his store since the experience. I know that once I had encountered the paramormal in a place I went often, it was difficult to ever see it the same. I found myself always waiting for something crazy and unexplained to come leaping out at me! Are they more accepting of YOUR personal experiences there? Do they at least have a little more respect for the realization that someone or something is lingering in their store? I am also curious about your search about the history of the store and if you have discovered anything fascinating! I always look forward to new developments from your end!
With that said, I will admit that I do come and go on this site. I don't log in everyday and sometimes it will be a week or two before it crosses me mind. HOWEVER, when I had my most recent paranormal experience, almost a year ago now, and I began searching for answers I was so gratful to have stumbled upon this site. A few, one in particular, of the senior posters were SO helpful and supportive with their responses and advice! I was so fortunate to have discovered such a helpful community of knowlegable people. I agree completly that hateful or rude comments are unessasary AND unfortunate. I hope they are not becomming a pattern. Thanks again FRAWIN for the great story! (And the space on your page)
❀ 😊
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Thanks for your kind response to my query whitebuffalo and FRAWIN.

I will admit when I came on here the first time and came across a story that was so well out there that I found terribly hard to believe I wrote a comment that could be viewed as rude. Even though I did write that it was only my opinion and take full responsiblity for it. I feel bad for doing that and apologize (I will find that story after this and apologize to that member on her site).

Sorry for using your site FARWIN to express this because we are suppose to talk about your experience. I'm looking forward to reading your other account and yes I will be very respectful to them and any other stories I read here.

Take care ❀
Wildone (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Are you saying this is how the site is usually, or the rude comments are a product of the season? I read through yours, Leanne's and Whitebuffalo's comments and can see the frustration. I came to this site because I am trying to understand things that go on at home, and found a surprising link to my past. I can't help but think that maybe that was meant to be, and maybe I should have kept that connection open. With as many people on here who have inadvertantly, or purposely made a hurtful comment on a story, I am not too sure I would like to post any of my own. Maybe the safest place to get answers would be in the personal e-mails of persons such as yourself. Only, I am old school, unless the invitation is sent (to quote my old friend) there will be no intrusion on the personal side of the relationship. I don't know. Maybe this site is geared more for the young ones?
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Awww Frawin you're too cute! I think I must have been a bit paranoid to think your comment was directed at me, as I'm over-wary of causing big ripples on YGS because I always want to be able to express myself freely on here and be amongst this community because I enjoy it, and don't want to cause offense to anyone! That was probably over-paranoid...

Thanks for clearing that up!

Ogle
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Oglegen, please don't think that I was referring to you with my comments, I wasn't. If you think I was then I humbly apologize. I agree with you a hundred percent - there is not need for abusive remarks. There is a need to thoroughly examine experiences, whether it is yours, mine or John Doe's, You said it best when you wrote," It's perfectly fine and healthy to approach stories deductively and rationally and state alternatives to the paranormal. Or indeed, suggest that something could be the product of another's imagination or dreams. Doubting people is fine as long as the support is still there for the person's well-being..." The people I was referring to is the ones that get so upset when you respectfully offer them an alternative opinion. Again, if I offended you I am sorry, as I view you as one of the voices of reason on this site. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Hello Leanne. Yes, he did have an interesting experience but he is only one of several people to experience strange things in that store. When you do get time to read my other stories, I would really like for you to comment on them. I welcome all comments whether they be pro or con. I feel that opposing viewpoints (I'm not talking about rude or abusive remarks) help me better understand things.
I look forward to hearing your experiences when you are ready to share them. I may post an opposing view but it will be done with RESPECT- to you and your story.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Yes, Leanne,
It is SUPPOSED to be. Right around this time of year with The Day of The Saints, Halloween and the other "ghost related" holidays going on, we seem to get a different group of viewers. It would appear that these types of people only want the "back rubbing" that FRAWIN eluded to. MOST generally, AFTER the "holidays" things seem to calm down a bit. It is just the wading through the couple of months that gets a bit frustrating.
I am not much of a person to STOP trying to learn something for three months out of the year and wait for the "teachers" to come back, and the "class clowns" to be brought in line. I guess I just am not as patient as I once was 😊.
It DOES get back to "normal" (Not that I AM normal), it is just... Well... There are times when I REALLY feel like sitting here with my keyboard on my lap, elbows on the desk, hands grasping fists full of hair and screaming at the top of my lungs. Yes, immature, but I feel like we are stuck in some kind of contest here. WHY?
I do not understand, and probably never will. Human nature is very competitive. People WANT others to believe what they are seeing. People LOVE to hear that they are right.
I am no different.
But the nastiness is not necessary. Either DO NOT comment, or say your comment respectfully. Do NOT single people out and tell them NOT to look at your stories.
To tell you the truth, THAT would APPEAR to mean that a person KNOWS that the one they ban from their page MAY be "onto something" causing OTHERS to "see" that side of the equation.
I can only hope that people CAN point me in another direction. I can only hope that OTHERS can give me something else to think about. I can only PRAY that someone will view one of my experiences and through their own experiences, show me DOCUMENTED proof of what they suspect. THAT is why I am here. To get other opinions and to LEARN through someone else's experience.
Our teachers are not always who we expect them to be. And that will be revealed shortly. πŸ˜‰
Thank you.
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
Hi FRAWIN,

Interesting experience you boss has gone through.

I'm looking forward to taking some time to read your other stories.

Take Care 😊
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
I agree with you whitebuffalo.

I may be new to the sight but have come across a lot of negative and rude comments from other members. Plus a lot of pickering back and forth.

I thought this was suppose to be safe place to share one's experiences. I'm hestitant to share mine for what might come from other members.

I read the guidlines for posting comments and it seems to be ignored by these particular members.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
And here I thought I was the only one detecting a change of direction here at home. (Not likely) I think it pretty safe to assume just about everyone knows that I am not much for the use of chap stick, so maybe that is why I have been a bit in the hot seat lately.
I AM opinionated, but I DO try to keep the comments as either a "learning" tool (by posting questions BEFORE I even give a guess. HOW can someone give an idea to someone who does not live with them, if ALL of the facts are not clear?) or a means to force SOMEONE else to question.
We all have our ways that help us learn things. We all have our personal views on particular subjects. We all have had our own experiences (Over all, not JUST paranormally speaking). We have all LIVED. And we all have a voice here.
We ALL have a VOICE here.
In order for even the "smallest" voice to be heard (and who knows, that small voice MAY be the voice of the truth in THAT situation.) there HAS to be a SAFE place to BE OURSELVES.
Not trumped up to be the most knowledgeable psychic. Not all fraudulently presented as the one person in the entire human race who has the most experiences. Not a persona created to join this group of people under false pretenses.
What the heck?
Maybe I am just too old to play the games, but it just makes me want to walk away from certain stories when I see all of the negative comments. OR, it makes me want to glue myself TO the page and rip apart every negative word written there.
I am NOT saying that if a person does not believe the story, they should not express that. What I AM saying is the name calling, belittling words and the vicious attacks are not warranted. WHY would we treat others the way MANY people confess that others have treated THEM once they shared their stories?
Right.
It makes no sense.
I, for one, do not want to be a part of a site that "chases away" people who are in need of assistance, or who are looking for answers, JUST because we are rude to one another.
Thank you.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
Frawin: (: (Nooooo! It's not about patting each other on the back and kissing each other's backsides! Although I admire your spunk... And it's definitely not about WHO should or WHO shouldn't comment on stories. This isn't the third reich!

What I meant, in my comment (can't speak for others who have made comments) is that it's pointless having some of the dismissive one-liner comments on stories which don't help anything and are just cruel to someone who's taken the time to write and/or is worried about what they have experienced. Take Hellsinggirl for example, who had the experience with the male spirit and got a barrage of abuse when she was actually very worried about it.

It's perfectly fine and healthy to approach stories deductively and rationally and state alternatives to the paranormal. Or indeed, suggest that something could be the product of another's imagination or dreams. Doubting people is fine as long as the support is still there for the person's well-being. I'm only saying this so that you don't misunderstand me (rather than me believing you don't know this already).

With HUGE respect for your brilliant storytelling and healthy approach to the paranormal,

Ogle
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
I have watched as different people have stated who should comment on stories and who shouldn't. The trend now seems to be "if you don't believe it, don't say anything" or to "pat them on the back and say how great it was". What happened to this being a discussion group? What happened to having an open and investigative (with the emphasis on investigative) mind? Are skeptics to be tar and feathered and run out of town? Now the main question is: DO WE WANT THIS SITE TO BECOME A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE CAN COME FOR ANSWERS OR ARE WE CONTENT TO JUST BE A PLACE FOR JUST GETTING PATTED ON THE BACK AND KISSING EACH OTHER'S BACKSIDES.

FRAWIN 😐 😐 😐
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
Hello Tammy, sorry it took me so long to answer your comment. I am fine and so is my mouse, I was just taking a short break from commenting. I will get back into full swing very shortly. The computer I'm using now is older and slower than I am and that's saying a mouthful-hopefully I'll have a new one before long. I've got a few more stories in the works, so I'll be talking to you shortly.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Frawin dearest 😊. We haven't heard from you for quite a while-I was wondering if you're ok. If you're just taking a break, have lots of fun! Then again I'm wondering if Mrs Frawin's warning that she will glue the mouse to the ceiling was more than words!

Your concerned Greek friend ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello Brownie09. Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am leaning towards it being the land but that's just my own personal opinion. I'm in the process of finding out more but it's slow going. I doubt there will be a 4th part to this story seeing how I no longer close at night but who knows, something might happen. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
HeY Frawin that was another good story, I think it might be something connected both the land and the store, especially having so much history about it being different things, thanks for another great story. 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
Hello Kecoughtan. It is good to hear from you again. The building is basically a rectangular box type structure that was built in stages, with the original part being at least 75 years old. As far as I know, there has been a "general store" there the whole time, with the exception of a few years in the sixties, when a previous owner had an appliance store there. The floor is concrete, covered by carpet and black rubber mining belt. The mining belt is run down the center of each aisle and the front and back "open areas", the rest is carpet. Yes you can walk down the first aisle and knock on the wall.
I wouldn't swear to it but I think there were another store that torn down when this one was first built. I know there was a house that sat where our parking lot is because my great aunt use to live there and that was where she died.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish- questions gives answers. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
I am sorry to join the conversation a bit late, FRAWIN. I am very pleased to know you are back at the store and happy to know you will keep us entertained and perplexed with updates.

What can you tell us about the age and use of the building? Has the current structure always been a grocery store? What does it look like? For some reason I have the feeling that it's a classic early twentieth-century country store, wood frame, hardwood floors, and the gable end of the store facing the street. How old is it? And, is it physically possible to walk along the first aisle and strike the wall or are shelves in the way? Sorry to ask so many questions, but the environmental context is always important to me. Thanks.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Hi Tammy. To the best of my recollection all my experiences happened during the week. I would say that it's anybody's guess to what's in the store. I personally feel that my "big" experience was connected to the land and these minor things that happen are related to the store. Like I mentioned awhile back on the first story's comments there has been a store in this location for at least fifty years-closer to seventy-five, so it could be a number of "people" it could be. Who knows, maybe after I'm dead and gone, I will be seen in the stockroom or roaming the aisles - I do love that old store.
Take care my friend and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Another great account, as always!

I don't quite remember if your own experiences at the store had taken place on Sundays as well but unless you have some good reason to think it is an old employee or past owner, I'd say it could as well be somebody unrelated to the store itself but possibly related to whatever was there previous to that. He seems not only curious about the 'going ons' in the back rooms but also a little curious about the store itself. It feels as if he's attracted to the place because of your presence there and activities. Just a thought.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hi lilblackpom. Thanks for the compliments and I am glad you enjoyed it. Actually he was told about "Susie" but I think he didn't believe a word of it- now he's not for sure. I will keep everyone updated. Pom, if you want to read more about this store parts 1 and 2 are about my personal experiences there.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hello Kim. Thank you for your kind words. I think you could be right on both of your thoughts. I personally feel that these events and the ones I described in part2 could be a "past employee" just doing their thing, while part1 was something else entirely. If anything else occurs I will let you know. Take care my friend.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hi Frawin. This story has got to be the best one I have read. It's a great ghost story. It sounds like the new owner doesn't know about the ghost? Wow! Hope to read another follow-up or something on this. As for this story, I am putting it into my favourites. Thanks and take care of yourself.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
WOnderful story! It is going right to my favorites.

Who ever or what ever is in the store obviously has very few qualms about making itself known.

I to wonder if there was something that happened to someone long ago or if it is perhaps a former employee sticking around and continuing their job as if they had not gone on?

I look forward to hearing more if and when it occurs 😁

God Bless!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hi TheUnknown. Thank you for your comment, I am glad you enjoyed the story. Actually the new manager knew about my previous experiences but I don't think he really believed them. Other employees told him of my experiences and he asked me about them, I guess for verification. I assured him that they were true but with any paranormal event, you have to experience one yourself to make yourself believe or at least in the possibility that ghost exist.
I don't know if anyone has actually died in the store or if it is land based but something happened there--what I don't know. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
This ones nice,FRAWIN.The new store manager doesn't know that there's a ghost. Its much better if you told him, so he won't be scared.

P.S.,Does the ghost die at that store, or some related going on caused by another ghost?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hello Annie. Thank you for your kind words, I really do appreciate them. I try to write my stories in a way that is easy to read and people can see and feel, what I seen and felt and above all I tell the truth. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hello Tonith. That makes two of us that hopes it's not the calm before the storm, I couldn't take a storm like it was that one time. At least I don't have to close at night like I use to. Yes I think something happened there in the past-I just can't figure out what. Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Frawin, You post some of the best stories. They are always so full of detail, and...real. Thank you! I'm a fan.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: