You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Old Spectre In Ballycastle Bay

Real Ghost Stories

Old Spectre In Ballycastle Bay

 

I have previously submitted other stories under the username of "Niall!" on this website until I forgot my password and made a new account so some of you may remember my other stories.

I live in a small seaside town called Ballycastle in Northern Ireland. We moved house from Belfast to here six years ago. The reason my mother decided to move to Ballycastle was because of its incredible history and striking, scenic views full of cliffs and waves which crack on the rocky shores and spray white mist for miles inland.

These typical reasons for moving to a seaside town are far more densely compacted with the paranormal than I would have believed. My mother recorded this story in her diary which she has kept since childhood which she has recorded every paranormal experience she has ever had since she could write within its pages. I believe it is accurate.

In September of 1989 my mother, father and two brothers who were young children journeyed for a casual holiday of three days to the town of Waterfoot in North Antrim.

They often made this journey and their regular custom was to take a day to spend in the nearby town of Ballycastle. It was a regular, enjoyable holiday with nothing out of the ordinary seemed to be happening until my mother decided to walk along the dunes of the beach along to the harbor on her own while my father entertained my brothers in the sea.

The harbor that existed then is not the same as the one which exists today so I do not know how to describe it to you.

It says in the diary she stood on the "outermost edge of the second pier". When she was standing on the pear she described seeing a man sitting on a "big drum with a big light on it which flashed every few seconds over the harbor". This man was holding a fishing rod and casting it over the edge with his back leaning on the back of the big light.

The only thing that made him appear in any way remarkable was the fact he was wearing very strange attire. She wrote he wore "A weird limp shirt with a dirty old jacket with ripped shorts and dirty goatee like beard".

While she was observing the peculiar figure the temperature dropped and she was aware of a sea mist which summoned itself out of nothing since it was a clear, unusually sunny and warm afternoon.

She casually approached the man; smiled and said hello. The man promptly turned his head to face her with what my mother described as "a funny expression" She wrote he had nice blue eyes but they were odd and they "would make you blink". My mother now knew he was a spirit and he slowly faded into nothing while the two of them stared eye to eye, not breaking contact until he had vanished; the mist and the chill rolling on with him.

After this experience my mother always returned to Ballycastle since she thought that the spirit looked "happy to be there when he was dead so I think we would be happy there when we are alive".

I do not know who this spirit could be since the pier is gone and now is open sea.

Other hauntings by niallacaldwell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, niallacaldwell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

captainchris (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
Very interesting I have a boat at the ballycastle harbour ask your mother to contact me as I am interested in ghost stories at the abbey and around ballycastle generally. I know the place well and have lived here all my life captain chris of boat called lord moyle
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Wow what an interesting story. I agree with you that some places are to beautiful to leave. Even after death. This fisherman was a great example. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
niallacaldwell (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Thank you all for your comments!

My mother took me today to the pier of the existing harbor and pointed out where the previous pier was situated. It was situated in a sheltered part of the bay, protected by a large outcropping of rock.

It is full of jumping fish and the water is unusally clear for the Sea of Moyle.

It was an incredibly calm place and I wish the pier still existed but at least I saw the place that convinced my mother to move our lives to this town. 😁 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Thanks for another intriguing story Niall! I just love-absolutely love everything you write. Your descriptive skills as always painted a full picture once again-it was as if I was there seeing what your mom was seeing!

He did seem like a happy man enjoying what he had loved the most in his life time-the sea. In my culture the sea is a life giver and a life taker but still loved to eternity.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
What a wonderful story! Thank you for taking the time to share it woth us. I to would love to hear of the other experiences she journaled.

God Bless!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hello niallacaldwell. That you for sharing your mother's experience with us, it was delightful to read. Your mother must have been an extraordinary woman. I would be very interested in hearing her other experiences if you are willing to share them. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
God love your mother for being so intuitive. How many of us ever will get the chance to have happen what happened to her? A intelligent encounter with a ghost. He saw her, she saw him. Eyes locked. Recognition was made. Maybe he was as shocked to see her as she was to see him. Hence his looking confused. Would be nice to think we can visit the places we loved most after this life is over. Great story hope your mother and family are happy living seaside.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Naill--What an enchanting story. Your mother lives with an expansive consciousness that has taught you well and put you on a more fulfilling path through this plane. The quote of hers at your narrative's conclusion says so much. Thank you greatly for sharing this experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: