You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Ouija Boards In Haunted Houses

Real Ghost Stories

Ouija Boards In Haunted Houses

 

I have read a few stories on here about different people and their experiences with Ouija boards; I have also read the comments about these experiences and how many people feel about them. With that being said, I have decided to tell about my only experience with an Ouija board.

It was 1995 and I was a freshman in college. I played volleyball and ended up becoming friends with the brother, Bill, of one of my teammates. He and 3 of his friends lived in a quaint two-story house about 5 miles from our school. Sarah, another one of my teammates, and I would go over to Bill's house and have a few drinks, watch movies, just hang out and get away from the dorms.

It was on our second visit that Sarah was in the living room watching TV and Bill and I were on the computer in his room. As soon as you walked in the front door, the living room was on the left, his bedroom door was on the right and the stairs that led to the second floor were straight ahead. We were the only 3 in the house at the time and all of a sudden it sounded like someone came running down the stairs.

I looked out of Bill's open bedroom door and saw Sarah sitting on the sofa looking towards the stairs. I told him that I thought we were the only 3 there and his reply was we are. I got up and Sarah and I checked every room and sure enough, no one else was in the house. Bill explained to me that they had a couple of "ghosts" that also lived in the house and things of that nature happened all the time. He and his roommates just ignored it. I was ready to leave at that point.

A week or so later, Sarah got the bright idea to take a Ouija board over there and see if we could communicate with whatever was there. I was not game for that, but with a little prodding and some liquid courage, I ended up going along for the ride. This time, we brought 3 other friend with us over to Bill's house. One of the girls, Lindsey, had told us how she was born with a veil over her face and that she could see and sense spirits.

The 6 of us went upstairs to the bedroom on the right because Bill told us that this was the room that had the most activity in it. The stereo would cut itself on and off, the lights would cut themselves on and off, and footsteps and whispers were heard in this room as well.

Lindsey said a prayer to get us started and I chose to sit in the circle around the board, but not to put my hand on the plainchant (sp). Bill was sitting behind me and instead of using the over head light; we chose to use a tall lamp for our lighting in the room. From the beginning, Lindsey kept taking her hand and brushing the back of her hair down. I noticed this, but didn't say anything about it.

Whenever someone would ask a question, I would lean back and whisper the answer to Bill. Not loud enough for the others to hear, but quietly in his ear. About 95% of the time, my answer to him was correct. I told him what "her" name was, where she was born, and how she died and in what year this took place. One of the other people asked her why she was still in the house and half way through the answer the light went out. We all let out a little scream and Bill quickly cut the overhead light on.

The lamp, that been sitting directly behind Bill, had not only cut off but had been unplugged from the wall. I know for a fact it wasn't him, because I was scared from the very beginning and made him put both of his arms around me to hold me.

At that point, Lindsey said something very fast, in a language that I did not understand. She then told us that she had to go because she had an exam to study for.

When we got back to the dorm, Lindsey came in our room and we asked her what was wrong. We knew she didn't have an exam and she told us that she got a very uneasy feeling when the light went out. She also told us that from the very beginning, she felt like someone was playing with her hair. That was the reason she kept brushing her hair down.

I went back over there one more time after the Ouija board incident. The running down the steps, by an unseen person, the footsteps in the room, pictures falling off the walls. All of this was enough for me and that was the last time that I ever stepped foot in the house. Bill and his roommates moved out a few months later and none of them would tell us why.

I know that spirits will tell you things on an Ouija board to gain your trust and that a lot of them will lie. The question that I have is how would I know the answers to most of the questions that were asked? I wasn't even touching the plainchant (sp). Can spirits read minds; did I inadvertently have caused the piece to move?

Thanks for reading and as always, your comments are more than welcome!

Other hauntings by bette31

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bette31, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
I could see how the whole "veil thing" can be debatable. As it was presented by the last two comments, but in MY understanding, it sounds like the two of you are pointing out the different "veils".
Seeing things- YOU are talking about a literal veil (one that I hit on in my last posts), also the figurative one, if one reads a bit more into your comment.
Haz- YOU are talking of a figurative veil.
So...you are both right. On YOUR sides of the theory. 😊 Thank you BOTH for pointing that out in such a friendly manner.
Thank you.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-15)
I think the entire veil theory is debatable. As children, I think we're all sensitive to spirits and such. I believe that we have the veil dropped over our eyes as we grow older. It's your parents telling you there's nothing in the dark, or that there is no ghost talking to you, that it's justna figment of your imagination. It's the fact that after awhile you accept this as the truth and in turn no longer see spirits or other supernatural entities.
seeing_things11 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-15)
Yeah, about that Lindsey person, I'm 99.9999999% sure she was making that up. First of all, they say that humans are ALL born with veils over their face, and that PREVENTS them from seeing spirits. But, some people are born WITHOUT veils, so they CAN see spirits. Second of all, to me it sounds like YOU'RE the one born without a veil, not her!
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
I'm sorry I didn't ready anyone's comments before posting mine.
First all, messing with Oija boards isn't the best thing to do. Y'all could have opened a portal. A lot of evil spirits come out due to oija boards. You are very lucky one didn't attach to you and follow you home. It is quite possible that the spirit there was using you to communicate.

Glad you don't go to the place any longer.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. 😉
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
You may have a phycic ability. It's nothing to be afraid of if you do. Also I didn't read the comments before posting this so sorry if I repeted anything. Anyway's I think that you could have a gift. You very possibly could be a medium.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
lilblackpom-I have never messed with a board again, and don't plan on doing it ever in my lifetime.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hellobette31. Ouija Boards...Yuck! I even dislike the name. This must have been a scary experience for you and all. This is one reason why I tend to stay away from them. One little experience in the past and I will never touch one again. Thanks for sharing this. Take care of yourself, Jude ❤
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
ChrisB-thanks for the comment and I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. I have somewhat of an idea about you and Ouija boards. Thanks again!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Hi Bette! Its nice to hear from you again. I enjoyed reading this story. I'm not going to talk about ouji boards here because you probably know how I feel about them. But I wonder if this spirit was communicating through you. But to be honest I have no idea why you knew first. All I can say is that this was a very scary experience. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
rhodes-thank you for your comment. Like I have said before, I don't know what was in there that night, but I surely didn't want to find out. That was the only time in my whole life that I have been around a Ouija board. I did some dumb things in college with the Ouija board being the dumbest. Since I only live 30 miles from where I went to college, I have always thought about going back to the house and talking with the people that live there now. The only problem is that I don't remember how to get there. Once again, thank you for the comment.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
Thanks bette for an amazing account. Although I dread Ouija boards, I found your story fascinating for many reasons.

As for Lindsey's claim to have been born with a veil over her face and therefore can't sense spirits, I really doubt that's the case. Instead I suspect that she's making a lot of effort to block it out possibly due to fear.

You were the one providing the answers because whoever answered your call that night chose you to be the messager. I also think it was very wise of you to end the seance at some point (and obviously you did that respectfully) as I feel 'she' was more than determined to 'prove' her presence-"she" made lights flicker, played with a friend's hair, refused to answer why she was in the house, was able to make herself felt by many of you-it sounds like a spirit who knew its power had a lot of energy and was ready to toy with you at any time.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
walangk3-thanks for the comment. I have never used another one since that day. I didn't know what was there nor did I care to find out.
walangk3 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
my mom says never to use an uoija board to contact a spirit or ghost because things could horribly go wrong like they could even take over your body. Thats what happened to my mom friend when they were using it. So that's just a warning to never use it for such, but if your are going to let's just hope nothing will happen... 😐
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
Kisho-thank you for your comment. I have never used a Ouija board since that day and I will never use another one.
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
Didn't read the other comments, so I apologize if this has already been said.

When you summon, channel, or however you want to put it, a spirit through a ouija board, the information is channeled through those who are most sensitive, as well as stated on the board.

If you knew the answers before they were being said, it was because you're sensitive enough to those energies for the channeling to flow almost perfectly through you.

I myself have used psychic circles, and channeling/ouija boards quite a few times, and I've never had a negative experience, nor any kind of residual phenomenon. However, we've always made sure to open and close the board properly, with protection and specific intent.

It's important with these devices to have a strong understanding of how they work, and what you can do to stop unwanted spirits from being able to respond. Otherwise you're just opening yourself up to a world of trouble.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
You are so welcome, Bette31. Anytime.

But I must say, NOW it makes sense to ME. I kept wondering why the game around the board, and YOU have cleared that up for ME. She tried to convince you many times, and yet you did not bite.
Thank you for answering MY questions.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
I completely understand now and thank you for explaining to me what a veil was. Up until now, I still didn't fully understand. The tempting and coaxing obviously did not work, if my memory serves me correctly (and I think it does) I was the first one out of the door and down the steps. I had had enough of whatever it was that was in there. I have sometimes thought how cool it would be to be able to see things that others don't or hear things that others don't. As I have gotten older, I'm glad that I was never able to do that. Even though I watch a lot of programs and shows about the unknown, the unknown terrifies me. Thank you for clearing things up for me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Nope. You sure did not leave me with more questions.
A caul or veil is a thin, filmy membrane, the remnants of the amniotic sac, that covers or partly covers the newborn immediately after birth. They are not especially rare. To be born with a caul, has been changed to Born with a Calling.
In medieval times, the appearance was seen as a sign of good luck. The child was destined for greatness.
In European history, possession of a baby's caul would give its bearer good luck and protect that person from death by drowning. In fact, midwives used to "roll" it to paper (lay a piece of paper over the baby's face, and rub it to make the caul stick to it) to be given to the mother as a type of heirloom. They also sold for quite a hefty sum to a few sailors.
Being born with a veil is a sign of special destiny and psychic abilities, or good luck. MOST of those born with it are female (though there is, as of yet, no idea on why this is true). However, just as in everything else, some consider themselve exceptionally gifted, and others show no abilities or interest.
You probably already know all of that as it has been a short while since you first heard the phrase, I just thought I would share it.

Actually, I would say that YOU were granted a "one time" gift. I would say that as you had, in your circle a friend who was born with the veil (Lindsey), and one who decided this was NOT for her (you)...
Let me start over. The entity chose who it wanted to communicate with. And that was you.
You were supposed to be tempted with the power, to coax you out of your fear. She was "working" you. In much the same way live counterparts tease us out of a slump, this entity was trying to get you to see something that was not right in front of you.
See?
Thank you.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Whitebuffalo-as always, I welcome your comments. Please bear with me, for I will try and answer all of your questions. When the light went out Bill cut on the overhead light and Lindsey said something, whether it be in a different language or whether it was in English, I didn't understand it. We all left at that point, we drove her over there. I had never heard of someone born with a veil over their face. When she told us this, I believed her because she had never done or said anything that would make me think she was lying. I took her for her word. I didn't choose to put my fingertip on the piece because of fear. How I knew what some of the answers were, I don't know. I just told Bill the first thing that "popped" in my head. I have never had another experience like that one. The only "gift" that I have is the gift of gab. I have a feeling that instead of answering some of your questions, I have left you with more questions than when you started. For that, I apologize. Thank you for taking the time to read my story and for trying to help me to analyze what happened.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Actually, I have a few comments on this story, a few of them are questions, please forgive me.
You said that after the lights went out, and Lindsey seemed to morph into someone else, she just took off. Did anyone close the Ouija session? I may have missed that, but I do not think I read that it was closed. As she was the one who initiated with prayer, I would assume no.
As Lindsey offered up the thought that she was born with a veil over her face... Oiay. I tell you, I truly sat here for a moment with my face in my hands. JUST because you are BORN with a veil, does NOT mean that YOU can STILL see when you are in your teens, let alone any older. MANY people who were BORN like that are not mediums.
With you correctly answering the questions, I would have to say that you had an eavesdropper. I would also like to say that had you written the answers down, someone would have read it. If you would have PICTURED the answers in your MIND, someone would have sensed it.
You, my Dear, were the "wild card". You did not want to participate from the get go. You did not place your hands (fingertips was more like it, wasn't it?) on the pointer. YOU were in a CIRCLE (picture Bill's arms again. Were you?) of protection.
In that I have used many forms of communication "boards", I can unquestionably tell you that you got off pretty easily. All that really happened was that Lindsey had her hair teased, and she whigged enough to rant (many people actually DO do that. It is not talking in tongues, or even adapting the language of a ghost. It MOST GENERALLY is out of fear) and YOU were left with more questions than answers. And yet, you seemed to be able to provide the answers to what the others had asked.

Think about this. Were you actually knowledgeable about the entity that you were supposidly in contact with, or...
Were you intune with what the OTHERS in the room were expecting to hear? Either way, that is an amazing gift.
The trick in this majic show is to keep it real.
Thank you.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
sylviessweeties-that was a horrible thing that happened to you, I hope you haven't tried using one again after that incident.

Laura-that was the only time I have ever been around a Ouija board. The games I had when growing up were Monopoly and things of that nature. Thank you for the comment.

Linkrules2008-I think Bill and his roommates just had enough. People didn't want to come over anymore because of all the things that were going on.
Laura (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
I used to think that ouija is just a game, indeed. A dangerous one though. Convinced of my own theory I thought that it's just your subconscious playing games on you, sometimes leading to the persons own paranoid end. I have to admit that after reading this and many other stories from the site, I am slowly changing my mind. A lot.

It's a very nice, but scary story. Thank you for sharing it with others.
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Used an ouija board I made out of paper with God Bless you on it when pregnant with Locke. Said God bless you to the spirits and called them Sweeties. But started having nightmares of a tall red haired man trying to hurt me. Then there was a huge smash and a bolted in light fixture came away from the wall smashed in the hallway and glass was everywhere in the passage. It woke me up but Lilike kept sleeping in my bed.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Lisamaxw-thanks for the comment, that gave me something to think about. I had never thought of it like that before. If that was what "it" had in mind, "it" was dead wrong, pardon the pun. I would not have invited "it" anywhere nor would I have bonded with "it". Thanks again for the comment!
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Wow! Thanks for the extremely well-written and engaging story.

Were I to venture a guess, I'd say that the spirit overheard what you whispered to Bill. Spirits can't read minds, but I have a feeling that they are super-sensory-perceptive -- able to pick up on body language, expressions, auras/feelings, and probably audio as well. Why would it echo what you told Bill? Possibly to make you believe that you had a "bond" with it so you would become more receptive to its presence and invite it into your life. Then things really would have gotten dicey for you! I'm glad that you left when you did.
😊 Lisa
Linkrules2008 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
wow its a good thing your friend bill moved out. That would be creepy...
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Flutterofwings-thanks for the comment. That was the only time I have ever played with a Ouija board. Thanks again and I will check out your story.

Frawin-I'm glad that you enjoyed my story! That is the only time in my life that I could/would/have done anything of that nature.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hello Bette. If I were to venture a guess, I would say that you were more in tune with the spirit than Lindsey was. You could have communicated with it-without the board. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I enjoyed reading it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
When people play with ouija boards or some people call them talking boards. One don't know what they have pulled through the PORTAL that is open with the ouija board. I have never heard where they have done much good. Yes spirits can talk through them, but is it a spirit or something far worse like something EVIL?.

Read my experience from an ouija board called "Ouija board in the basement". I am not saying all evil with them but be real careful with them boards.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: