You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mysterious Man

Real Ghost Stories

Mysterious Man

 

This story happened in 1974, in my godfather's home. My godfather and godmother lived in a house in the town centre, with their two young children and the nanny. My godmother had a small shop right in front of the house which was attached to the house so if you were sitting outside on the veranda you could see who was entering or exiting the shop.

One day when my godmother was on her coffee break on the veranda she saw a tall man walk in her store, wearing a long coat and he also had a black hat on. She immediately called the nanny to go and see if the man needed any help. The nanny came downstairs only to find that there was nobody in the store. She searched and searched calling out "excuse me, hello, anybody in here, can I help you?" but there was no answer. She went out on the balcony to let my godmother know that there was nobody in there but my godmother couldn't believe her as she had not seen anybody come out of the shop. After that days passed and they forgot about the story.

In July 1974 a war broke out in Cyprus so my godmother who is British had to take the kids with her and go to England until the war was over. While she was gone, my godfather would sleep on the couch so that if anything would happen he could escape easier. One night he felt somebody shaking him while he was asleep. He woke up and saw a tall man with a long coat and a black hat standing there on top of him staring at him. My godfather, very calmly asked him if he wanted anything. The man just vanished.

About a couple of months later when my godmother had returned from the UK, she remembered the shop incident and decided to tell her husband. He smiled at her and said "you've seen him too? I wonder who he is, he doesn't seem harmful..." A few days passed and another discussion took place, this time with the nanny... During dinner, she politely asked my godmother if she had been going up to her room in the middle of night to look for something. My godmother was shocked. She denied ever going to the girl's bedroom. Aparently, she could hear somebody come up the stairs every night at about the same time open her door and start making noise in her bedroom, she just assumed it was a family member. My godmother and godfather just looked at eachother and smiled, they knew exactly who it was, but decided not to mention anything to the nanny in case she would be scared.

About six months later, they had to move because the house was to be demolished. So they found a new house and were soon out of there. The first night at their new house while they were saying goodnight to the kids and asking them about how they liked their new bedrooms their little boy Nick, turned to his parents and said "I miss my old room mummy, but at least here I'll be able to finally sleep, that tall man won't be here staring at me all night " and everybody smiled.

Nobody ever found our who the man was and nobody ever saw him again. That was my story. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Melissa

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melissa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

paranormgirl005 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-27)
that was a cool story, Melissa...
Thanks for posting it...
The man probably used to live at that house and just didn't want to leave...
I've had that happen to me before...
As everyone is saying, the man was a harmless and calm spirit...
You're lucky, the one I had was a really naughty ghost...
I'll post it some day...
By the way, the man probably had a child the same age as the grandson, that's why he was always staring at him...
Again, thanks for the great story...
discogal (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-27)
Wow...This is an interesting story... Do you know who's ghost he could be? Because if one of your family members, died in pain or when he was angry, he could be haunting you from something you have done to him. That is all I have to say.
Take care,

Discogal...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
That was a great story Melissa, I really enjoyed reading it.

Like the previous posters I don't think this spirit meant any harm at all despite the fear his appearence might have caused. I also believe he was simply observing even protecting at some point.

He seemed curious enough to stare at your godparents' child or search through the house but harmless enough to do anything further.

Greetings from the island of Rhodes.
Melissa (6 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
oh you did?:) that's nice! Heheh what's your story? Have you submitted it, I'd love to read it!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Thank you for sharing your story, me and my mom had something like that happen to us, here in Alabama. We would like to hear some more stories. 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-19)
Hello Melissa. Thank you for sharing this story with us, I enjoyed it very much. You never know, he could have a wandering spirit but it seems to me he was more of a protective spirit. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
IT a great story melissa sound like a warning about you say there a Break out right it might be that reason that he trying to warning your godfamily and safe them... I just guess it and thanks and it great!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Thank you, Melissa, for such a peaceful story. It would appear that this man was completely peaceful. With the exception of waking your godfather, nothing seemed to be truly frightening. Almost as if he wee a mere free wandering guy who came and went as he pleased with no hidden agenda. It does a heart good to read these types of stories once in a while.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: