You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lingering

Real Ghost Stories

Lingering

 

I have recently (07/30/08) purchased a house for the very first time in my life, when I first saw it I fell in love, it is located on a side street to the Manhattan blvd. In Gretna, LA in New Orleans, cottage style in a great location.

Once in, the house is more a problem than I had bargained for, more than the eye can see is wrong, then my next door neighbor:

(1) tells me that the previous owner's father used to live and died there, they found him stiff as a board was his description, said he was 75 liked to party, drink and bring women around, I did not think much of it because I am familiar with death and have lost a lot of loved ones of different ages and I know it is a natural step in life.

On Wednesday (08/06/08) I started feeling my grandmothers presence, you know when you feel like if someone is looking over your shoulder and you look and no one is there, well that is my grandma, at first I was happy because I had not felt her in a long time (about 10 years ago) she died when I was 16, but then for some reason I felt something/one else and that she was there to protect me

Still I am happy thinking it is the change, that is until yesterday my 3 year old daughter is looking in the mirror making faces and tells me to say hello to Johnny.

That is the previous owners name, all that came to mind was to tell her, to "tell Johnny it is time to go home now", I tried to distract her and told her not to talk to Johnny any more, now I don't want her to be alone, because I know that children are more sensitive, and my front door neighbor:

(2) said that the day he died he was helping him look for his wallet but it got late and had to leave and when he came back to check he was stiff as a board sitting strait up on the bed with his eyes wide open.

Now what can I do to help him get on his way?

I don't want to him to linger or find out if he is aggressive and I specially do not want him playing with my daughter I am planning on having the house blessed, and spray salt water on the walls and doors. Please help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lolysophia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spookysearch (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-26)
Hi Lolysophia,

Just read your story and am very interested in featuring it in a new paranormal investigation TV show. Would you mind shooting me an e-mail? My address is spookysearch [at] gmail.com. Thanks so much. Look forward to hearing from you.
lolysophia (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hello everyone and thank you for your advice I have done the spraying, the blessing and the talking I have even painted the walls in bright colors and put white curtains in every room, I felt and saw Johnny around 11pm on Friday (08/22/08) he seemed to me as a cloud in the ceiling I could only see his sad face and big glasses I still have not asked if he did wear them, I told him "please move on this is our house now and I will take good care of it. Follow the light and go to a better place" and said a prayer for him, I still feel as if I can see something out of the corner of my eye but when I turn nothings is there and my daughter now is scared to see out the kitchen window, when she walks by she always glance sideways and she gets upset when I go near the bedroom window.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Sounds to me like Johnny liked his life and wasn't ready to leave. He may not even realize he's in spirit form. Doesn't sound like he's trying to scare your child but I can understand your concern. If it was me I would be asking him to move on being that he is not in the physical body anymore and God is awaiting his transition to the spiritual realm. Sounds like death took him by surprise. He may just be confused and wants to know what is going on. Tell him.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hello lolysophia. I can't give you any better advice than what you have already received. All I can say is it may take several attempts to convinced him to leave, sometimes they can be stubborn. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Moving on, the why and where fors is a good one. My dad was a no nonsense type, he didn't hang around immediately after, yet he would appear for the next few years to check up on us. From what I have seen, a mischevious spirit will be determined to make you acknowledge them, while a quiet, peaceful spirit is content to simply hover. So, perhaps ignoring yours won't assist his leaving. We rarely get the luxury of understanding a 'why' of it and have to settle for the 'what' of it. I would definitely try talking and a cleansing! Best of luck. Oh, and your daughter is most likely to be just fine, children simply have more simple, open sight than we do, they haven't been cluttered with adult garbage yet. If you treat the situation calmly, so will your daughter. <insert smile and hug here>
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
lolysophia, I often work with historic homes and sometimes housesit them. In my experience, each structure is completely different with its own unique "personality" and atmosphere. Like Emma2008 and whitebuffalo, I suggest walking through your home and having a conversation aloud in which you introduce yourself and discuss your feelings about your home. Talk about the first time you saw it, what it means to you, aspects that you adore, and state your intentions about being a good steward and caretaker. Find an appropriate time when you are alone and feel comfortable so that you can speak freely and without reservation. Do this as long and as many times as you need to. I feel that houses and those that may linger in them are just curious about us and want to ensure that the place is in responsible hands. You have not been in the house for very long. At the risk of sounding like a flake, please consider this: if it takes multiple wearings and washings to break in malleable clothing to fit our forms, how much longer must it take for us to get used to the unique space, materials, and more linear form of a new home--and for the house to grow accustomed to us and our lifestyle?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Believe it or not, Unfinished Business is one of the "minor" reasons for ghosts hanging around. There is a strong emotional bond that forms to a place, a piece of furniture, a person... There are MANY other things that keep ghosts here right down to the "I am DEAD?!"
Personally, I feel a fear in this story that is very rational. Your child MAY be in danger. Of course you are frightened. I would not think you were a parent worth the displacement of water if you were not.
I personally feel that Johnny is NOT still here looking for his wallet. I DO feel that he has no clue that he has passed on.
You can bless the house. You can cleanse the house. You can say out loud TO THE WALLS (that way you are not directly talking with Johnny) that you are now the resident in that place, and you want all others to leave.
Or you could talk directly to Johnny and say something to the effect of "Look, Johnny, I know you think you live here, but the fact of the matter is, WE live here now. You have made the transition OUT of this life, and SHOULD be walking in The White Light. Please go there..."
If you choose the latter, be gentle. Be compassionate, and allow him to know that you are not angry. You must be sensitive when telling someone they are dead. I mean, think about it. How would YOU react if someone informed YOU of that?
Thank you.
lolysophia (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Thank you for responding, I have been prying every night since Sunday (08/17/08) I have asked God to take him to a better place but I have not acknowledge Johnny directly, and I try to relax before going into the house because I do not want fear or any unhappy feelings to settle in, and again I do not want my daughter involved, I guess I will have to help him resolve anything unfinished or it could be that he does not know he is dead yet because he loved life so much or he could still be looking for his wallet.
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
When we first moved into our house, my brother heard a noise, like nails being dropped into a paper bag. My mom heard the same noise when she was alone in the house and unpacking. She said aloud "Listen, this is our first house and we promise to take really good care of it. Please don't try to scare us..." My parents knew, but didn't tell us until recently that the previous owner, an elderly man, had committed suicide in what is my brother's room. We never heard any more noises after that. Perhaps you should do something similar, but I suggest you get his attention first.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
misfitsdoll,
I understand your concern and preocupation in regards to your child and this "entity" talking to her. I had the exact same problem. What I did was I started to ask my daughter about this person in your case "Johnny" ask her what he looks like and what he tells her. You would be amaized the things that your child can see and experiment that we as adults cannot.
Another thing that you can do is get yourself a tape recorder or any type of recorder for that matter. Before you do this I do have to say to say a prayer asking the Lord to protect you while doing this. Then ask a question and wait about 2 minutes for a response do this over and over until you have asked all the questions you want to ask and then play it back and listen carefully. You might get an answer to them.
These are things that you can do. I personally would try to investigate what really happened in the house not by what the neighbor says but by what has been registered through the years in the house.
Good luck and be safe
misfitsdoll (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Hey Lolysophia,

What I can think of for you to do is to try and find out why he won't move on, I believe there is a reason why spirits stay here and the only way they can move on is to try and fin d out what unfinished business they have, why is he still there? Just talk to him and ask him to tap on walls in reply to your questions. Its always a good idea to get your house blessed when an unwanted spirit resides in your home. 😁

Hope this helps

Misfitsdoll ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: