You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Job At The Hospital 2

Real Ghost Stories

My Job At The Hospital 2

 

This is my second submission of the events I experienced while working at an old hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa. For more information about the location and its history please see my profile and my first submission, 'My job at the hospital'. This will be a fairly long relation of events so please bear with me.

Our archive was located in a different section of the hospital but still fairly close to our office area. The room itself was fairly unremarkable and also fairly well lit because of its many windows. This is where we kept our old files and other administrative documents from bygone years. Attached to the room on one side was a small windowless room that could quite possibly have been a broom closet. It was in this small room that we stored our computer software packages and software licenses under lock and key.

When I first began my job, I noticed that my co-workers often avoided going to the archive. At first I just considered it laziness on their part. One day the manager I mentioned in my first story called me into her office and asked if I would mind taking a box of old files to the archive for her. Of course I agreed to take the box and promptly set off to the archive.

The door opened easily and I entered the room. As soon as I had closed the door behind me I suddenly felt that something was not quite right. The room was just too quiet and I felt anxious and wanted to leave the room. I knew it couldn't be claustrophobia because the room had large windows and I could see clearly out of them. I forced a chuckle and said out loud "Pull yourself together and archive the files", which I did. I did however keep glancing over my shoulder and I remained nervous through the entire duration. As soon as I had left the room I felt fine again. No worries at all.

Sitting back at my desk I easily dismissed the feelings I had experienced by telling myself that I must have imagined it, being the new boy and being alone in a new part of the building for the first time. Soon I was working again.

A couple of days later another fairly new guy asked me if I would help him to find an old bank statement that he needed because of a question from the auditor. We went to the room together and we both suddenly felt uneasy as soon as the door closed. Of course being two guys together we tried to cover up our feelings. We started to move around the filing racks in the room to look for the banking files. We were walking side by side him reading the spines of the files on one side and me the other. That's why we entered the cold spot together. It was a hot Johannesburg midsummer day and it was as though we had stepped into a one meter squared deep freeze.

We looked at each other in shock and surprise and as he said "This can't be right!" condensation vapor came from his mouth! We of course decided to abandon the search and get out of there with all haste. It was such a relief to be out of that room. Of course we couldn't return without the bank statement so we called a third guy to come and help out. I'm sure some people are going to ask so I'll say it up front. There were no air conditioners or fans in the room, and the windows did not open.

Again as we entered the room all three of us felt as though we shouldn't be in the room. We walked through another two cold patches. That freaked us out because it was so hot outside and the air in the room was also hot except for the certain patches. We couldn't have imagined it because we all saw the vapor on each other breaths in these patches as we walked into them and make a startled sound from the sudden change in temperature. At last we found the file and left the room.

Back outside the room it was so different and normal that we started to doubt what had happened yet in our hearts of hearts we knew that it had really happened. I can't properly in words describe the instant change in feeling from inside the room and being back out of it. We all agreed that we would leave the file lying around under a desk and 'forget it' for as long as possible.

Can anyone explain a bit more about these cold patches? What are they and what is their meaning? Could they be related to the feelings we experienced in the room? Many thanks for reading this through and understanding. That already helps a lot.

Other hauntings by staaldak

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, staaldak, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Investigate it. Doesn't take much to do this. A digital recorded or video cam set up in the room should yield some answers. I would also be apt to ask some questions when feeling these cold spots but again you would need a digital recorder being that it can pick up what you can't, audibly. If something is in that room that is not natural you should be able to pick up on it with electronic devices. Happy Hunting.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hospitals have so many deaths in there past that suround their walls.

The first thing that I would do as many have already suggested is find out about what that room use to be or what it was prior to being the file room. Check if any tragedies happened in there or if anyone was ever found dead there.

The second thing as rohdes68 siad place a recorder in an area in the room also if you are going to be there for a while try asking questions to it as soon as you get that funny feeling. Questions like hi, how are you? What is your name? Why are you here? Just to mention a few.

The third thing would be to keep track of where and when you are feeling the cold spots for example are they felt in the A-C cabinet and what time of day it is. That might have something to do with it.
Just a suggestion.
Keep us posted and thanks for sharring
Good luck and be safe
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hello staaldak. I must say that this was a very interesting story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I would have to agree that the cold spots were entities trying to manifest. Too bad no one ever tried putting a tape recorder in that room, it would be untelling what you could have captured. That room would be a ghost hunter's dream.

FRAWIN 😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hi Staaldak

So good to read one of your stories again! Very interesting - I like Rhodes68's suggestion - leave a tape recorder in there or investigate by asking someone who has worked there forever - like one of the matrons. Also - maybe this isn't the best method - place a wooden cross or any other kind of heavy object onto a piece of paper and outline it. Leave it overnight to see if it moved - silly, I know! Worth a try though! Laat dit goed gaan!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Welcome back and thanks for an intriguing account!

I have no doubt that someone was there observing both of you. Could he/she have thought you were tresspassing? I'm not sure if the presence was one of a deceased patient. Since the hospital is a very old establishment, there might be too many left behind.

I'd suggest you search the files to see what that room was used for in the past-in the long past. Try leaving a tape recorder in there when no one's around-I know it might be disturbing to try it while you're there-to see what you will pick up. Sometimes we tend to think that all energies need to find their way 'home' but sometimes this is not the case. Sometimes energies willingly remain there or have been there for far to long and have 'forgotten' the fact they were once alive.

This may sound crazy to you at this point but be open to all these experience-the paranormal world is a mysterious universe.

I'll be looking forward to reading more of your experieces Staaldak. Take care!
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Hi Staaldak,
Thank you for another interesting story. If your archive room is anything like the medical records office at the hospital where I work it can get very claustrophobic especialy when your in the middle of floor to ceiling file walls. 😊 James is correct, the most common explaation for cold spots is that a spirit is trying to aquire enough energy to interact with us in one form or another. I was wondering do you know what the archive area was used for in the past. Please keep us updated. God bless. 😊
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
HI, I mush say that wasn't that scary. Not to be mean. Maybe it's someone who died of something that everyone though it was a heartattck or something be turn out to be something sorses. So look at some files here the cold spot is or ask the ghost what it want or where it is.
GIRLIE 😁
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Wow staaldak, pretty creepy but I hope you find out what happened in that room. With cold spots like that, there is another entity. You have a lot of guts it sounds like and maybe in the future, you will find out what happened in there. Good luck and take care of yourself.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Was the door ever just stayed open when you went into this little room? Or did you always close it when you went into the small room? Did you feel that something evil lurked in the cold spot? What was this little room used as, before it became the file room?

It sounded like an entity was in this little room. Perhaps becaue some evil occured in it, or maybe the entity went to this room after some terrible accident happen to it.

I can tell you one thing however, the more you three were frighen, to what was going on. The more energy this entiy was takeing from you they feed on people being frighten.

Have you ever just went into the room, and asked questions like: who are you? What happen to you? This may of helped you.
babybis (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
wow, this story I just as wierd as your 1st one. Thanks 4 sharing!

Aries <3
babybis (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
wow,no offense, but when I was first reading your story I thought you were a girl

Aries
staaldak (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
JamesRobiscoe, thank you so much for your swift response. The explanation you offered about the cold spots is intriguing. I will look into it further. I will post part three as soon as I get back from holiday in three weeks. It is about a hair raising experience I had in the small side room of the archive where we kept the computer software. I would also love to read your comments then too. Again many thanks. God bless you and take care of yourself.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-20)
Staaldak--This second installment brings your experiences to a new level. Happily (in its way), you have company in the experiences, both shadowy and air-chilling. One common explanation for "cold spots" is that an entity is sucking up surrounding energy to embody itself or otherwise make itself known. The location could have significance. Perhaps it was near its own file in the archive room? Perhaps some injustice had been done that it wants recognized if not rectified? You have choices here, and throwing the file under a desk is only one of them. You're a brave lad, though, and it's my impression you can do better. God bless you and all who walk in that place.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: