You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Can Fever Make You Sensitive To Ghosts?

Real Ghost Stories

Can Fever Make You Sensitive To Ghosts?

 

One night, when I was still in Jr High I had a really bad fever. I had hot and cold flashes all night and I couldn't sleep (which I really needed because my parents wouldn't let me stay home unless I was dying).

It was summer at the time and the heat way more intense than the cold flashes, so I worked up the courage and grabbed the rotating fan in the corner of my room and plugged it in full blast next to my bed.

I think I had some fever induced paranoia because I kept thinking I saw someone watching me, but every time I opened my eyes I didn't see anyone (my parents were fast asleep at that time, believe me I checked). I blue light from the fan lit my corner of the room with a dim light that comforted me at the time so I tried once again to get some sleep.

I closed my eyes and listened to the fan, the sound got increasingly louder. The blue light that shown through my lids turned red and I felt my body get hotter, somehow the lower part of my body began to pulsate or throb with the sound of the fan (my first sexual experience and I was getting freaked out, go figure). I felt like I couldn't breathe, I tried to move or even speak, but I couldn't (this was one of my first experiences of sleep paralysis).

Then I started hearing voices, they were deep and scary, I couldn't hear what they were saying because it was jumbled and also because they didn't really seem like words. The got stronger as the voice did until it felt like it he/it was right next to my bed. The throbbing spread to my upper body, but were concentrated on certain areas. They slowly got stronger as the voice got closer. I felt the air getting thick and a scary feel in the air, like something, I don't know just plain creepy.

I was totally freaking out by then, somehow moved my head and everything stopped. I was afraid to fall back asleep that night, every time I felt myself drifting to sleep I would feel that presence or the throbbing and the fear again. I was about 3: 30 when it started happening that night, I was 13 and I was finally able to fall asleep around 5 as the sun began to rise. I don't know if it was the fever or my imagination or what, but it was frightening.

I swear I'm not making this up and I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CherryBerry93, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Fevers make you hallucinate if they are high enough.
It's very unpleasant and usually a sign that you are very, very ill.
happyhappy-yumyum (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
I'm not completely sure but I believe it does! I remembered oodles of months ago when my forehead was throbbing all day and I struggled to sleep when it was my bedtime. (it hurt so much owwie;-;) My insomnia didn't help but when I finally reached slumber I was drowsily but consciously aware I had sleep paralysis. I usually get a lot but in that particular time I had 5 episodes in one night! But I was super duper tired so I didn't notice until later in the day. When I get SP it's usually only once in a given night. Coincidence?
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-27)
I used to feel like I was crazy in my old room (I recently moved into a smaller box room which I hate!) my room was so big and that meant many corners in which some creepy spirit could be lurking. I used to turn my light off and run and jump into bed and fall asleep to a film on my tv. I always felt like someone was stood there watching my but I must just be crazy or something... I rambled abit. Sorry:D good luck ❤
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
I can say for a fact that I really think that in weakened conditions we can sense presences better. I have had a fever a handful of times and extreme fever to the point of needing to go to the hospital twice. Every time I got a fever I could feel a presence there. I really think it was either my guardian angel or even my spirit guide. It was the same every time. And I would talk to this presence during times of hallucinating periods, asking it to help me. I even remember asking it for a cup of water once, and then shortly after I felt like I was guided to the kitchen to get it myself as there was nobody home but me.
So I definitely think at times there you can sense these things. Whether that is what you experienced or not, I don't know. 😁
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
It's very possible that you could have become hyper-sensitive in your weakened state. There are many religions that participate in fasting; when you go without food for an extened period of time your body becomes weaker and you feel more spiritual (closer to god).

That's one theory, or you could have just hallucinated.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I will have to go with the hallucination theory. When my older brother had scarlet fever he saw an Indian Chief standing by his bed in a full headdress and there wasn't an Indian no where around. Fever can do some strange things to you. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi CherryBerry93, I have to say that I agree the fever you had, could have made you hallucinate, but who's to say for sure. Have you had any other encounters since that night? Thanks for sharing your story. 😊
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi CherryBerry93!

Hmmm... This is the first story I have read which is a little different than the other stories so I don't know what to say. I think because of the fever, you had hallucinations or a dream. Usually, when you have a fever, your body gets its full attention to cure the fever. When your body has its attention on something else, you or your brain starts doing something completely different. When your brain is not paying attention to you, you can see or listen to anything out of the ordinary. Sorry for the long explanation 😁 but I hope you understood what I'm trying to say. Have you had any other paranormal experience besides sleep paralysis? Have you had an encounter before you had a fever or when you were perfectly normal? Thanks and I'm looking forward to your answers!

Biemaster
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Im not brealy sure but I think what DUknow has a good explanation. I think these where caused by the body being exhausted. But interesting none the less. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DUnknown (4 stories) (65 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
In my own opinion, it's hallucination, due to your high bad fever as well as the temperature during that day. Have you ever felt someone watching you since before, in your room? Have you ever experienced this kind of situation before too?
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
You were probably hallucinating. Fever often causes hallucinations, especially the type of visions and sounds you described. Have you ever seen these things when you didn't have a fever?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: