You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My House In Indiana

Real Ghost Stories

My House In Indiana

 

I'm new to this website, but I just wanted to share the story about the house I used to live in Covington Indiana. Well, when my family bought the house we knew it used to be an old train depot, but after the years went by they fixed it up as a two story house but the upstairs was made into an apartment like.

Here is the point of the story. When I was 5 years old my family had bought the house, and about a month of living there, strange things started happening. First off, there was an old piano that was left there by the last owners, and one night at twelve o'clock it started playing by itself. We thought it might have been one of my sisters because she would play it, but my mom went and looked but no one was in there.

In my bedroom you could go through my closet to go to the basement, but on the left right before you go down the steps into the basement there was a door. Behind the door was like a little room and it would just have an eerie feeling and you could feel cold spots.

Upstairs we put brand new bulbs in the bathroom, kitchen and the I guess you would call it a dining room, when we tried to turn the lights on they wouldn't come on, but when we left the room and went back in there they would turn on.

Then one night my two sisters were asleep in the upstairs bedroom and my second oldest sister said she got woke up by something which felt like a ruler hitting her leg- well she went back to sleep and the next morning she saw an outline of a ruler on her leg.

A couple of nights later my oldest sister and I were by ourselves-we kept hearing like something rattling upstairs so we went to check it out but when we reached the top of the stairs there was a white figure with what looked like a white dress on, and my sister took my hand and we went back downstairs, when we got downstairs my other sister had just come in from a date and about an hour later my mom and dad came home.

The next night we were all sitting in the front room watching TV and a bat came in the house and we had a hard time getting it out of there. That night we heard the same noise as a couple of nights before and my sisters, my mom, and I went upstairs but nothing was there.

When we were turning around to go back down stairs my sisters' bedroom light came on, and when my dad got home from the bar, we told him about it and he said he hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Some of our family from another state came and stayed a week with us, and they told my mom that that house had an unsettling feeling about it, and that nothing felt right about that place. So we told my dad again but he still denied anything, but about a couple of months later we moved.

Other hauntings by Brownie09

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brownie09, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jessica00586 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Hi. I am from Covington and I am just curious as to where this house is located in town. I would love to know which one it is. 😁
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
WhiteBuffalo, My grandma also told me when we lived up there before we moved back down here to Alabama that she has never seen the new owners, but they were doing some remodeling to it. Sorry about two seperate comments, I just forgot to mention it when I was commenting back. 😊 ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Thanks WhiteBuffalo, me, my husband, and mom, moved back up there because of some of my family, but I asked everybody I knew who lived in that house now, and they always said they didn't know, it was a beautiful house, I would have liked to go back and see it, but everytime we went by there no one would be home. 😢
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hello Brownie09,
It is just a CRYING shame that you are not still at this home. Man, I would LOVE to check out the "little room". I tell you, set up a camera, some tape recorders, see how far I could crawl through before I was turning around and running like heck as well as I could on my knees.
Anyway.
Some of these stories just make me HUNGRY for a hunt. And yours happens to be one of them. An old train depot, eh? I would be tempted to tell you that this is a residual haunt of several beings, but as you are no longer in the home, it would be hard to ask you questions about the present.
Train depots with ALL of those live people walking through on a daily basis. Greeting people coming home, or for a visit, people leaving with no thoughts of return, children lost, parents frantic, there was ALWAYS a lot of activity in the ones that I went to. Not to mention all of those that worked there. With all of the emotions that swarmed around the living, it is easy to imagine some of it being left behind.
Thank you.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Thanks Rhodes and Dan, it did seem like everything that happened such as the noises and stuff, did always happen upstairs and it we always got the feeling upstairs nobody wanted us there, which me and my mom and sisters were glad to be out of there, but my dad on the other hand started to reconsider on moving out because he liked the house, then luckily my Aunt Terry the one from NewYork finally talked him into it so that way she would know we were safe. Some of the stuff that happened in that house really scared the daylights out of me. Thanks for commenting to my story. Even though I still get chills talking about it, I know I can tell my stories on here, and I promise everything I have experienced in my stories is true of what I can remember, I have had a lot of stuff happen that I've experienced and I would like to share them with everyone.

Sorry so long of a comment. 😳
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Wow this is a really intresting story thanks for posting it. Because your house was a train depot before it became a house I'm guessing something may well have happened there. From what I can read it seems there's one spirit. This spirit sounds unsettling and is probably roaming because of unfinished business. The reason I think this is because of that room which may have been the space he/she died in.

Just an idea thanks for posting.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi Vicki and thanks for sharing a most interesting story with us!

Considering what the place used to be before it was actually turned into a house, it's only natural and quite expected to have so much activity in it. As for the people living there after you, this serves as confirmation of what you and your family experienced.

From your descriptions I get the feeling that some presences were toying with you (the lights switching on after you left the room), some were aggravated (the incident with your sister) and some others were just left behind wandering around what to them was still a train depot-meaning: intelligent as well as residual hauntings.

I'm happy you got out of there for whatever reason you did as it seems that, sometimes, things are beyond our control.

I'll be looking forward to more submissions from you.

Tammy
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Thanks Frawin I have noticed that too, I have some more stories that I would like to share which are some more experiences that I have had and I hope they get published. 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Brownie, you are welcome. I enjoyed your story and try to assist with helping, but being new to this too, it is nice to know that others on this site can be of more assistance to you. Glad to have helped and will look for more stories from you. Jude 😉
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello Brownie09. It seems like every house that has activity in it also has a room/cubbyhole/closet that acts as a spook hiding place. I know at the old home place we have a closet where one of our more "aggressive houseguest" has taken up residence and lies dormant. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I truly enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Thanks again Jude, I have some more stories of things that I have experienced, and I am wanting share and hope that they get published.
Vicki 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi again brownie. Wow, that room sounds pretty scary to me. Like a dark hole that has something in there lingering. Scary. One month omg! They must have been terrified. It sounds like a frightening experience. I would have been gone too 😨 Thanks for submitting this story with us and hope to read more from you. Jude 😉
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
My dad also kept the deed from my mom and stuff, which my dad wasn't the kind of dad that cared, he went with what he was happy with. 😳
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi lilblackpom, and thank you, my mom did was telling some people about the house that lived in that area and they said that it did have a history behind it, but they wouldn't tell her exactly what, but my dad the one who never believed in this kind of thing, never would let my ask anybody about the house, but not long after we moved out my grandma told us that their was a couple that moved in there with a couple of twins and a month later they moved out and no one saw them again. It was freaky especially that room in my closet that is something I won't ever forget cause it wasn't like a regular room it was a room with the awfulest feeling like something was in there and didn't want to be bothered.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hi Brownie. Wow, is that property haunted or what. It sounds like it. It is very scary when things of this nature happen. Did you ever find out about the property from deeds, the library or other? It would be interesting to find out. Maybe a long time employee died from the railroad that worked at the depot and still goes there. But it does sound creepy because of what happened to your sister with the ruler. So it may not be that. Anyway, thanks for sharing your haunting story with us here it was a good read for me. Stories like this are truly haunting. Hope to hear more in the future, Take care of yourself, Jude ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
One part I forgot to add is before we moved out my sister was taking a bath, and she heard the bathroom door open and hit the bathroom wall, she got out ran through the house to see if anyone had done it, but no one was there and we were all gone that day, and there was no wind or anything because the windows were down and locked because it had been raining, and the air conditioner wasn't even on. But there was a lot of strange things happened in the house. Thanks for reading my story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: