You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Crowded House

Real Ghost Stories

Crowded House

 

This was originally going to be my first post, but I decided do post my first experience last week (In The Beginning). Here's what's going on with me most recently...

A quick description of my dwelling... Built in the early 1970's in the southwest Portland suburbs as an apartment, it became condominiums a few years after that. It's basically a three bedroom apartment with the smallest bedroom being barely large enough to hold a single bed and nightstand. I purchased my unit about nine years ago and found that I had some unknown guests when I moved in. These 'guests' seem to be phased differently, not knowing each other exist.

Guest #1: The Little Girl: Shortly after I moved in, I would say maybe two months after the unpacking was done, my wife was relaxing on our couch watching the TV. From the bedroom hallway you can look directly at the couch. I was passing down the hallway from one bedroom to another when out of the corner of my eye, I saw my wife there with a little girl sitting next to her. I turned to look the little girl full on and made a mental picture of her before moving on to the bedroom. She even glanced over towards me for a second before turning back to the television. Maybe 8 years old or so, long, dark hair pulled back in a loose pony-tail, wearing a floral sundress popular in the '80s. For some reason I didn't even think twice about it until about 20 seconds later. I stuck my head back around the corner to see my wife sitting watching TV alone. I asked her who the little girl was, but my wife just looked at me strange, which didn't surprise me. That's the only time I've actually seen her.

She does seem to be the prankster of the house; hiding keys, moving mail, etc. She'll listen, though. When I couldn't find my keys one day I said aloud, "I don't have time for this. My keys had better be back on the table when I get back from the bathroom..." Sure enough, there they were when I came back. She seems to stay in the living room. I can still feel her around once in awhile, but mostly seems to prefer hanging out with my wife when she's watching television. The living room is also the only place all three of my cats can be found on their backs, like someone unseen is scratching their bellies.

Guest #2: The Homemaker: Not much to say about this one. A woman who mostly moves between the tiny kitchen and dining area. Maybe late 30's to early 40's. She hasn't caused any problems that I'm aware of. I'll just catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye once in awhile. Sometimes I'll hear her say something barely audible, but I can never seem to make it out. It's not a plea or anything, more like along the lines of, "What would you like for dinner?" or something like that. I believe the Homemaker is more of a residual event, not an actual spirit. The walls are just replaying the event from time to time.

Guest #3: Dad: Not really MY dad, but he's a lot like mine was. He hangs around me most of the time and loves electronics. I'll feel him the strongest when I'm installing new software on my computer or tinkering with the sound system to my TV, looking over my shoulder as I do the work. No troubles with this guy either. I swear that when I'm installing software, though, I can hear him in my head saying, "This is just amazing! This little box you have holds more information than the entire floor of my office building used to. And it doesn't have to be climate controlled!"

Guest #4: The Cranky Old Man: This is the trouble-maker... Or was, at least. This is probably the scariest part I had to take care of. The smallest bedroom we use as storage. It's pretty full of stuff that we don't use anymore.

About three years ago, my step-daughter moved back into the area after living in Vegas for a few years. She had never lived with us in this condo before so she wasn't 'in tune' with what we have going on with the 'guests'. My wife and I cleared out that room and set it up as a small place of refuge for my step-daughter until she could find her own place.

Her first night in the room she came running out at about one in the morning saying that someone was pushing her out of the bed we had set up, and then had pushed her out of the room altogether. I immediately could feel the anger - almost betrayal - coming off whatever was in that room, like WE had invaded HIS domain. I guess we kind of did.

I feel bad about what I did after that, but felt it necessary: I banished the entity. I burned incense and recited a (poorly written) banishing of my own device which I had from decades ago (too long a story to mention in this post.) Once I had finished, could almost feel the room itself relax, like the very walls were able to breathe again after having to deal with such a demanding entity.

My step-daughter stayed with us for another six months and never had a problem after that. Believe it or not, but the room seems bigger now.

So now, in our small, apartment sized three bedroom home, the five of us - my wife, myself and three guests - have learned to cohabitate.

The little girl still likes to hide my keys, though.

Thanks again for listening.

Other hauntings by Grinder

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Grinder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
I really enjoyed your story. I wonder why they stick around. But isn't that always the question in these circumstances. Nice to see people in cohabitation rather than seeing hauntings as a problem.
This one is going into the favorites. 😁 😉
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Thanks, Dragonfly. I'm still not sure about posting the banishing. Perhaps if it comes up again in another post I'll consider it. I do agree that it's because I believe the words will work that actually makes them effective.

Frawin: I think it would be interesting to have spirits interact with each other. I can't think of any instance in any of my contact with spirits to indicate that has happened - with the ones I have now or the ones I've had in the past at different homes. It's definately something I'll look for, though.

Thanks!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hello Grinder. It sounds like we have similar types of spirits in our homes. About the only difference is that mine are aware of each other as well as us. It takes some getting used to but I would miss mine if they left. Thanks for sharing your story with us, I really liked it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Dragonfly (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hmm, on one hand I think if it has helped you deal with violent entities it might be helpful to others. On the other, it might not work because the connection you have with the words and your experience obtaining them might be what makes the Banishing work not the words themselves. No guarantee on who might laugh though so it will be your call 😳
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
And this is kind of off topic, but if I were to write the REALLY BAD latin translation of my banishing, does anyone know where I should post it? Just promise you won't laugh. Lol
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Thank you, Whitebuffalo. I'm still fairly certain they're not really aware of each other. The only 'crossing' area are the living room, which the little girl and the Dad are. There hasn't been any indication that they 'bump into each other' or recognize each other. I actually spend a lot of time in the middle size bedroom, doing computer stuff, so I get most of my 'Dad' feelings here, but when I mess around with my TV in the living room, I may find him there looking over my shoulder. Still no kind of indication he and the little girl interact. Thus my observance that they don't know about each other.

Yes, I could be wrong, and I'm always open to witnessing anything different than what I've seen or felt so far. But so far, nothing of the sort has indicated that the two know each other.

The Old Man might be a different story, but since I haven't had any problems or occurrances since the banishing, I couldn't say. The three other entities haven't changed the way they interact since I did it, so I'm guessing he wasn't a part of them either.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Your first paragraph said something that touched the situation a bit more than what I think you intended it to. You said that they do not appear to know of the existence of one another.
As you banished The Old Man, (by the way, please do not feel bad about protecting your step-daughter with the banishing. She felt intimidated, and the "Daddy gene" just kicked in) I would think that MAY endear the others to you. It kind of makes me wonder if the little girl and the homemaker now share space?
Thank you.
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Thank you all once again.

Emma: I'm not sure what the history of my condo actually is. I've done a web search of the address and nothing has come up. The previous owner lives close by and I was thinking about writing her a letter, but I get the feeling she's just glad to get the property out from under her (more financial problems than 'visitors') and doesn't want to talk about it.

Rhodes: I agree. A lot of what I've read lately have been almost terrifying, though only from the fact that people aren't familier with what they've experienced. Calling an entity that has simply passed through their bedroom door and disappeared 'a demon' seems over-board to me. I've had a couple scary instances, but nothing has ever caused harm... Just fright. Once you realize that most of these ghosts are stuck or lonely makes you (well, me, really) accept them for what they are: spirits of real people - your friends, your neighbors, your family. They don't really mean harm. And maybe they ARE upset about what's been happening in their (once) home, but they've usually adjusted.

Pom: Thanks for the writing critique. Lol I just write the way I normally do. I'm glad that's it's easy to read and understand. I definately don't want anyone here to have to decipher what I'm trying to say.

Once again, thank you all!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Grinder thanks for another fascinating account and a very well written one if I may add. I'm beginning to get addicted to your stories 😊!

I'm delighted about the fact that not all ghost stories have to be nasty or disturbing but can, instead, as in your case, be depicted as a harmonious co-existence between the two realms. I assume that the girl spirit who seems to be the intelligent haunt doesn't need assistance to cross over since the homemaker does sound residual, indeed.

I can only guess the frustration the cranky old man felt when realising he had to share his little space with someone else who was that significant to you that even theatened his position in the house. You did a good thing to banish him but I just hope he has somehow found his way to the land across.

Once again, thanks for an intriguing account!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Grinder, this is a story that will be one of my favourites. For all of you to cohabitate is well, pretty nice. I think it's funny that the little girl hides your keys. What a great story and so well written! Thanks. 😊
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Incredible story, very well written and put together. Lately, it seems the recent postings on this site have been lacking a lot of credibility. I enjoyed this one very much. I wonder about the history of the property your house is on, it seems to attract a lot of entities. Perhaps it's a vortex of some sort.
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Thank you all for your comments! My wife has sensed two of the entities: Obviously the Cranky Old Man - she's the one that asked me to banish him, as a matter of fact; and she has felt someone sit down next to her on our couch, so she knows about the little girl (though I'm the one she seems to pick on). I have no problems with the ones that are still here. And to ease anyone's fears, if I get any indication that any of these guests want to move on, I would certainly help. I have no intention of holding them if they don't want to stay.

As for the Banishing, it was actually written by three friends of mine and myself - a group effort - and used as the closing 'ceremony' for Ouija board experiments we did a long time ago (I don't use one anymore due to lack of accurate information). I DID do a word-for-word translation into Latin, which means it's not translated accurately. But I've always felt that it's the power and conviction you put behind it that makes it work. If you mean what you say, it'll do the job. I'd post it, but I know those of you that CAN translate it into correct Latin would get a good laugh out of it instead of reading what it really says. Lol If I can get a hold of those old friends of mine to ask their permission, I may post the English version.

Thanks again, all!
Dragonfly (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
I am very interested on hearing the story behind the banishing incantation. I hope you share that with us soon.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Grinder-Thanks for sharing your story. Has your wife ever had any experiences in the apartment or is she able to sense any of the spirits that reside with you?
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
I truly laughed to hear the little girl still hides your keys. What a monkey. What a grand house! A wonderfully told story, too, or is it more of a nightmare? It takes a great deal of patience to live like that. Fun, yet, sometimes exhausting! Smiles and blessings, Grinder!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Sounds like to me the old man definitely didn't want your step daughter in there, the old lady might have been the old man's wife, and the guy and girl might have been their family, and sometimes when a ghost is attached to something like a house a kitchen or something like that that is where they'll always be happy at. As for you hearing her ask what do you want for supper she might have been going to fix supper when something happened to them. Thanks for sharing your story 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: