You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Preston Castle Slumber Party

Real Ghost Stories

Preston Castle Slumber Party

 

Two months ago, we made arrangements to join the Slumber Party at Preston Castle, a closed prison for boys from the late 1800's in a state of severe disrepair. Finally, the full moon weekend came and we were there.

Fourteen of us, mostly strangers, set up our beds in the first two rooms and migrated back to the front steps to sit and chat. Snacks and drinks would be served in the basement, which had lights and electricity. Surprise, surprise, the lights aren't working. At all.

It's a perfect full moon with mackerel clouds that drift over the brilliant ivory sphere in the darkening sky. At twilight, the bats start flying out of the towers. Absolutely classic. Next, the white owls appear. Glistening in the moonlight, effortlessly gliding in and out of windows and over our heads, soaring like timeless sentries. Talk about icing on the cake. The large, ominous castle stands before us, its silent windows steadily observing the gathering of intruders who would soon scamper throughout its limbs, arteries and heart. The scene is set and it's enough to set your pulse leaping.

A few of us head to the big room in the second floor annex, two stories high with a dark timbered ceiling. I call it the dark dorm. My attempt at Julie's wands resulted in nothing but confusion, and these went a bit insane in her hands as well. David experienced his first hair raising near the steps to the third floor. Repeatedly, his arm hair would rise on solid goose bumps.

Julie and a Ruth had been in the nurse's station in the infirmary where they got odd responses in one spot, then sharp and clear answers in another. David and I spend a great deal of time out in front, taking in the presence of the castle. David is quietly absorbing all this, I think, a bit amazed and trying with all his heart to be open and yet hang on to his logical, skeptical sensibilities at the same time.

Hours later, I was sitting in a chair in the infirmary with my back to a wall, and I brought out the wands. To make a long story short, the wands crossed at several questions, and went bonkers at others. I would have to conclude we were being played with, receiving only a few concrete answers. I ended the session abruptly when someone touched the back of my neck. I do not like being touched. The two people facing me could only see the wall, absolutely no one else. I listened to the EVP the next day, and it was weird. At the beginning, I sounded actually drunk! My words were extremely show and slurred. Really odd.

The worst event was in the library. David and I head back up to the second floor. I had a need to go see that room again, as well as a peek into the destroyed third and fourth floors through the ceilings. That seemed to be important, yet, it was forgotten once we got there. David entered the room and stood near the front windows, I stopped about halfway into the room. Bats would respond to our presence by flying around and past us. Tiny little guys! I thought they were giant moths at first. Silly me. I was expecting twelve inch wing spans, I guess.

I heard, as clear as can be, a sound I could not quite identify. Turning around back towards the door, I fully expected to see one of the hunters walk down the hallway from the right and past the library door. The sound continued directly in front of the doorway, yet, no one was there. Whirling dervish?

That's when I lost it. I walked quickly over to David and took his arm. David's arm hair was up, goose bumps again! We left. Period. I would not go into that hallway until I had peeked with the torch in both directions. I was struggling to describe the sound, a rapid rocking chair noise. Walking with heavy sneakers, purposely full toe to heel? We booked it down the main staircase and back onto the porch where we counted twelve people. Whew. Incredible. Wow. Man. Shiver. What a night!

The longer version, and pictures, can be found at http://www.packrat-pro.com/ghost/preston.htm

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sera (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
I love your stories. This one had me on the edge of my seat. Thank you. 😁
acruthers609 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-25)
Hi, this is the most Haunted in Preston Castle,
I got goose bump is hitting my right arm, also I
Took photo after that, I click my camera on back
It look black shadow on wall, that was very strange
& a lot of energy there, surprised you might jumping...

In 2013 in July...
Happy Haunting...
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Whew! Wow! I am glad you made it out okay... I would have ran out of there too! This was another good story ladyanne and so interesting to read. Thanks for sharing. Putting this one also into my favourites! Take care of yourself, Jude ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Thank you ladyanne for another wonderful story of one of your ghost hunts. I really enjoy your stories and always looking forward to the next one. Take Care.

FRAWIN
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi ladyannne. I always enjoy your stories so much, you just have this sense of humor and liveliness that comes across. Thanks so much just for that. Your encounters and experiences are fascinating and informative. I was thinking that since it was a prison for boys (although the Preston Castle Foundation site claims it was a 'school of industry' to rehabilitate, rather than simply imprisoning juvenile offenders - which definitely sounds much nicer when they are soliciting funds for renovations, the thought 'slave labor' comes to my mind) that might be the reason for such contradictory results, crazy wands, odd responses and so many different feelings, your unusual fright and David's goosebumps. There would have been a wide array of emotions and mindsets and I'm sure there was more than a little insanity. I shudder when I think of the treatment those boys would have received, at the hands of their keepers and each other. There would be a lot of emotional psychic impressions left on a place like that and probably a lot of confused, sad and lost souls still there. Thank you for sharing another experience, I enjoyed reading it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Another fascinating encounter ladyannne and a greatly told story-thank you for sharing! It certainly sounds like you 'disturbed' something in there, maybe something from a very distant past.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
ladyannne-you have not told me how you and David met. If you aren't comfortable with sharing it on here, you are more than welcome to send me an email. My email address is listed in my profile.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Odd how this one actually frightened me, Kim. In all my encounters, I do not recall being frightened like that. After listening to the Winchester EVP, an old woman say, ever so distinctly and clearly, quite angry, "Get OUT!" I would agree with you, we are not always welcome in their space! I will be treading a bit more carefully, and asking permission, from now on.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
ladyanne,
I did visit your site indicated and viewed the pictures of this castle. What a shame! It appeared to have once been a quite beautiful and remarkable building.

I wouldn't be suprised if the reaction you gave by leaving that floor is exactly what 'it' wanted. With the type of establishment this was, there may be some intelligent entities there that do not wish to be disturbed, or have a fear of being disturbed.

Thank you for another wonderful story!

God Bless!
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Bette, there have been great changes in the man, I am happy to announce. It only took ten years for me to rub off on him, I guess? Now, for instance, if one of our favorite places to eat is closed, he will cheerfully state there must be a reason. We go to another place to discover the special of the day is scallone. We will kill for scallone. David just grins! There are NO coincidences, and David is starting to agree. (Did I tell you how we met? LOL!)
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
ladyannne-another wonderful encounter at another very interesting place! I am glad to see that David is trying to come around, so to speak. Was the trailer incident his turn around point or has something else happened that made him question his "everything has a logical explanation" mindset that he once had? Thanks again for a wonderfully written account of your experience, I am looking forward to the next one.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi Brownie! Twelve people died in the castle, quite a history. It simply touched me, and that is always un-nerving to me.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Wow, It might have been the presence of one of the boys or someone that died there, I know it must have been scary but did it try to hurt you or anything? It might just wanted you out of that room. Thanks for the story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: