You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Los Gatos Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Los Gatos Cats

 

There are two huge white lion statues on either side of the gate to an estate just next to the Cats restaurant in Los Gatos on Highway 17. The gate is an exquisite, wrought iron handmade masterpiece (now replaced with a standard gate) that begs to be opened. A quiet shaded road leading off into the trees through a deep woods is all to be seen. Wonderful urban legends linger about that area, including white bats that attack your car late at night should you venture up to the dam to neck, and an albino ranch beyond the gates.

Los Gatos Cats

My ghost hunting and banishing partner, Pai, and I were there, late at night, in the late 60's or early 70's. The lion on the right has his eyes closed, the one of the left has his eyes open. We spent a great deal of time there, touching, feeling, inspecting. The letters RIP and some unknown characters are etched on the lions, between the front legs and the back haunches. We finally managed to make it back one time with a camera because I have always wanted to sculpt lions and these were perfect examples. They become old familiar, beloved friends.

Another night we came by again. It was one of our favorite places to sit and chat with no one around. Were we surprised! The lions had changed places, they were the other way around! The lion on the left had closed eyes. We were stunned. We compared notes, contemplated drugs we might have taken unwittingly (a joke), and made notes before we ran home to find the pictures taken previously. Sure enough, lion on the right had his eyes closed.

Explain that one. I never did. If you are ever in the area, you should stop and see them, quite spectacular. The lions are dated 1920.

We went back in 2008 and the lions were in their normal position...

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Bette, you can't imagine what I found, I was thrilled. Cat history! Alas, I also found that the Cats Restaurant is closed? What a loss! The property behind the gates is called Poets Canyon. How perfect for that area.
Looks like I am not the only one that adores the cats: http://www.metroactive.com/metro/10.17.07/coverstory-0742.html
Note: the article states the cats are actually eight feet tall, not her original 20 feet. If Cathy, in my recent pic, is a bit shorter than I am, 5'9 ish, that would make the cats a BIT taller than eight feet.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Chris, I agree, I shall truly never know exactly why or what. It may not be a 'ghost story' per se, but I can tell you the cats are, well, (be right back, need a good word here) not inanimate? What you would expect a stone statue to be, without life. Words fail me. There is something un-natural about them. Almost like you would expect them to turn their heads to watch you if you were to turn away. I love them, being old friends, but other sensitives do not like them at all and want to leave as soon as we get there.

You are so sweet, Jude, thank you. I just tell the stories as they happened and try to make them interesting while remaining totally factual.

Autumn, they have always been in the same position, left open and right closed, except that ONE time, when Pai and I were there in the middle of the night, something else I neglected to mention in the original story. Our headlights and the one street light in the area showed us the cats quite clearly, and we did get out of the car to touch and inspect them at the time. The gates are locked and no one has ever been in the area, regardless of how many trips we have taken over the years. They stand quite alone without anything else nearby. Their condition indicates no sand blasting or cleaning has ever taken place. I am really not sure what they are made from, either. From what I recall, and our numerous inspections, the cats are actually attached to the walls behind them, and simply cannot be moved unless the walls go with them.

Laura, you will have a ball! I will look forward to hearing how it went. Be sure to dress warmly for the boat trip in November, and bring some sort of a hat. Incredibly chilly trip on the water.

Bette, I have never been able to find any history on them, whatsoever. Now that I am no longer in the area, I wish I had pursued that a bit more, and hopefully will find some way, some day.

Rhodes, when we got home that night and dug out our original pictures, we were so stunned and spooked we were not willing to return, ever, at that point. I agree with you, this cannot be logically explained. After all these years and all the trips to see them, I am at a loss, so I just enjoy seeing them once more. I hope they will always be there.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi and thank you for sharring this facinating story with us. It isn't a ghost story but it is just as fascinating. I think there are so many things we will never understand. Some are paranormal others are miracles and things that go with science but our technology is still too weak to find firm answers. I guess we will never know what happened ther. I would suggest asking other people if they have witnesed the same thing. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Wow ladyanne! Your stories are so interesting to me and are written spectacularly! I like this one. I can't believe when you went back they were in the normal position...strange. As always, I look forward to reading all of your stories and I am putting this one in my favourites. Thanks for this most interesting one! Take care of yourself, Jude 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
"In their normal position...". Do you mean to say, that when you returned in 2008, that the lion on the right had his eyes closed, the one of the left had his eyes open? That is extraordinary.
Forgive me if I am about to add something that someone else already has, but did you by chance try to find a caretaker, or some other person, to see if perhaps they had to be removed for a bit of sandblasting?
To be completely honest with you, I think they would do that on the spot, as they were carved in the 20's. And I ALSO find it difficult to think that they WOULD sandblast them (as it would "eat away" at the sculptures) in poor judgment or otherwise.
What a truly amazing account.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
hi! I have been on your website and I have been reading your stories, I especially like your hauntings on 23rd street (spooky!), this one and the one about your daughter is very nice. I also read your story about alcatraz- I am a girl of 15 I am visiting in November and am there for my birthday, you've scared the hell outta me hahaha! I'm hoping to get some pictures and I can't wait to see how it goes. Ill keep you updated that's for sure. I'm sure ill comment some more of your stories so reply if you can. Thanks laura xxxxx 😊
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
ladyannne-thank you for another wonderful tale of your adventures. Have you done any research to try and find out if others have had the same thing happen to them? I have read some stories about things being "switched" and when the person did some investigating, turns out others have had the same things happen to them. These things had been occuring for many years. I was just curious! Thanks again for the story.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Ladyannne thanks for another strange tale-always a pleasure reading them as it seems like you've had a very adventurous life so far.

I've checked the pics you posted-they're fascinating!

I cannot for the life of me understand how your experience could be logically explained. I suspect when you said you returned with a camera the second time, you mean you went back there not long after the first?

I was wondering if Luv's estimation could be accurate.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
now that is strange. I would have to think that maybe they moved them to make some kind of repair on them and then they realized they put them in the wrong place and fix them back to how they were. That would be nice to find out what happened a true mistery.
Thanks for sharing.
Take care and be safe
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Biemaster, please accept my most sincere condolences. I am glad you were able to travel back to India, despite the purpose.

The cats are somewhere around 10 to 12 feet tall, something I neglected to mention. Apologies. I would not begin to wager what they weight. They are also attached to the adjoining wall that lines both sides of the driveway.

Had I been alone, I would have convinced myself I was seeing things. My notes taken that night are still around somewhere, on the underside flap of a Screaming Yellow Bonkers box.

A picture of the cats is located at http://www.packrat-pro.com/ghost/GHLGlions.htm, very impressive and intimidating statues.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi Ladyanne, thanks for another great story, to hear you talk about the lions, it would be freaky, but it would definitely leave me puzzled, and then go back the next day and the lions be switched around again. Maybe there is a story about them. Thanks for sharing. 😊 ❤
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
First of all, let me say, Hi everyone! Sorry I was not commenting because I had gone to India for 18 days. The reason I went was because my grandmother died. So, that's why I couldn't get access to the internet in India. But now I'm back and sorry if I missed some really great stories!

Hi Ladyanne and thanks for sharing this interesting story with us!

That was a really unusual encounter you had. I don't know what to say! Maybe the place owners changed the lions? Or maybe you might have been mistaken? I know the last part is not likely but still. But the thing which baffles me is that how can a ghost change the image of the cats? Thanks and I'm looking forward to more of your stories!

Biemaster

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: