You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Things I Can't Seem To Explain

Real Ghost Stories

Things I Can't Seem To Explain

 

I have always been what you would call "sensitive" to things that most people have no awareness of. My mom would tell me that when I was young, I would be talking to someone in my room, or she would walk past and could hear me giggling as if playing with someone else. I don't recall much of that, but as I've gotten older (24 now), things have progressed and now, I'm wondering if I'm in some sort of danger.

Even when I was young I always hated walking in the dark, be it indoors or out, because I always felt as if someone were following me. That pit in the bottom of my stomach, the rise to my throat, and a cold chill that almost feels like a cold sweat breaks across my face. This still happens 3-4 times a week if I walk in the dark. Usually I'm pretty good about having some sort of light with me. Honestly, I'm not scared of the dark, just uncomfortable.

The first direct (not just the feeling of someone being around me) experience I can recall was when I was about 19. I was sleeping at my parents' house, and I woke up because I thought someone had touched my face. I rolled over and there was this small black figure on the corner of my bed near my face. It was shaped like a basketball, and about the same size. When I rolled over, it was briefly there, then it jumped from my bed so hard that it pushed it in to the head board that I had lining the side of my bed. I screamed in terror, my parents ran in, but nothing was seen. My dad told me that I was just having a nightmare, but I knew I felt my whole bed move and my headboard had items knocked off of it.

Last year I started having nightmares. Most of the time I couldn't remember exactly what they were about, but I would wake up extremely worried, with my heart racing, and usually in a deep sweat. For the most part, these were only a few times a month.

Last July I moved in to my apartment in Elk Grove, CA. I lived alone in my 1 bedroom space, and for the most part, the community is very quiet. Like most people my age, my cell phone is never far from me. I would leave it on my night stand, and often use it as my alarm to wake up in the mornings. Every time, and I mean every time, my alarm would go off while it was sitting on my night stand, I would roll over to turn it off. When I roll over, I hear this gut wrenching scream in my ear that sends chills down my spine. Each time I would leap from my bed and to the light switch. Now I sleep with my phone actually ON my bed and no longer have the problem. When it goes off, I can grab it with no problems.

This March, when my good friend needed a place to live, I upgraded my apartment to a 2 bedroom so that she could stay in the other. Since I moved, things have progressed much, much more.

My room mate has a dog. The dog will often sit and stare at odd places of my room and sometimes the living room. When she comes in to my room, she always stares at one particular corner, towards the ceiling, and growls.

I've awoken numerous times with cold sweats and chills, and even crying. Every couple of weeks, I have strange marks appear on my body. They look like scratch marks, but never break the skin. The most recent are a set of 2 approximately 2 inch long, very thin scratches on the front of my right shoulder. They almost look as if they're bruises. They appeared yesterday morning. Any time that I've received these scratches, I've never felt myself get injured and have never done anything in the days close to the injuries to explain them.

Today I came home and walked in to my room. My closet light was on which is very odd considering I did not go in to my closet before I left. I went to my restroom that is inside of my bedroom to take a shower. The last time I was in the shower/tub, I had taken a bubble bath. When I turned the water on, it went straight to shower status.

I laid down to go to sleep and heard something move near my bed. I assumed the dog had come in to my room since my room is usually the coolest in the house by about 7-10 degrees. Just as I was starting to doze off, my entire bed began to shake. I jumped out of my bed and ran towards the door and turned on the light. I realized then that my door was shut, and the dog had not been in my room to make the noise. When I opened the door to come out, the dog was on the other side of it growling and staring into my room.

I asked my room mate if she had been in there or if anybody else may have and she said no, trying to explain the light and the shower. I told her about my bed, and she stopped me in my tracks. She said that this weekend while I was out of town she was in her room on her computer. She heard a banging/knocking sound coming from the rest of the house. She came out and saw nothing except the light coming from under my door. I was gone, and no lights should have been on.

She described the sound as if someone were jiggling a door in the door jamb trying to open it. I have yet to walk back in to my room, she won't go near it, and the dog... Well she is just lying between me (on the couch) and the door to my bedroom, staring at the door. At one point she walked to the door and pressed her nose against it very hard, and began snorting. She barked once, growled a little, then positioned herself between me and the door once again.

From what I've read, ghosts are tied to locations, and rarely to people, but at this point I just have no explanations. I can't sleep in my own room and at this point, don't know what to do next.

Other hauntings by lookin4answers

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lookin4answers, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AdamP (1 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-01-07)
Hi lookin4answers,

I'm a producer currently working on behalf of the Travel Channel. Are you still having paranormal experiences? If so, please send me a message and we can talk in further detail.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
I have not read through the comments, but I am wondering, did you happen to cleanse the box so that you CAN enjoy it in your home? There have been times when I purchased something second hand that needed a cleansing, and all you do is use pure water and sea salt and "wipe" it clean. Leaving it out of doors for at least a day afterward helps out a bit as well.
Thank you.
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
I'm back to sleeping in my room and the box is STILL outside! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I wouldn't have thought about it being tied to an object. Thanks for giving me my sleep back!
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Glad to hear you slept in your room, (mostly!) through the night. A thought: Maybe you could sell your jewelry box on EBay. People are always advertising haunted items on there!
Don't bring it back in the house! Keep us posted...please!
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Well- I made it through the night!

I woke up once around 330... Pretty normal for me to wake up on and off through out the night, but this time I woke myself up talking. No clue what I was saying, but the sound of my voice startled me. *shrug*

The box is still on the porch, I'm a little afraid to bring it in at all since I was able to sleep...

Anyone want a jewlery box? Haha, Just kiddin!
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hello again, lookin4answers. I hope you were able to sleep last night! My thoughts on that beautiful jewelry box is that, it probably belonged to someone other than your grandmother before she owned it. IF you were able to sleep in your room undisturbed last night, while the box was on the porch, I'd consider getting rid of it.
PLEASE! Keep us posted!
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Well the night is getting close! My room mate is actually staying with her family tonight out of town, and it's just going to be me. I'm trying to determine where to set the box... Right now, it's going to spend the night on the back porch... Unless that's a bad idea?

Thanks again everyone!
champ505 (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
oh I cannot wait to hear how the night went. "Lookin4" I pray your night goes well. 🤔 THIS, is like a soap opera, wow. Ask your roommate to sleep in there with you and see if she notices anything unusual? Is she up for that?
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Thanks everyone.

I called my parents today, my mom couldn't remember the box. However, it was my dad's grandmother's belongings- so I tried him next. He told me that the box was something they had found when they were cleaning out the old storage facility that belonged to her. He didn't now any of the history on it other than that.

I asked him about the lavender, and he said that the only thing with lavender that he can remember was that lavender used to grow behind their house (she raised him) when he was young. Other than that he's drawing a blank.

I'm going to take the box out of my room and try sleeping in there tonight. This sleeping on the couch thing is way overrated.

Thanks again.
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
You're simular to me in the way that you are sensitive to energies and the unseen. I don't think you're in immediate danger judging by your story. It sounds more like a poltergeist to me but I maybe wrong it's just a thought. Your room being the coolest in the house says that maybe is where most of the energy is going. As people have said it maybe an object in your room which draws the spirits or maybe it's just your sensitivity making you more prone to feeling the energies around you. But dogs have a reputation to sensing spirits easier than humans can so if you watch the dog it can give you a clue to what's going on.

If you have any questions about pieces of furniture ask your family they may have the answers. They may also have had some experiences themselves. People can be haunted and maybe you are through an object in your room. You may have to move or get rid of that object to get rid of the spirit. As for the marks and dreams I have no answers for them.

Very intresting story thanks for sharing it with us.
Dragonfly (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
It might help to find out how your grandmother came to possess the box.

I get the feeling someone is trying to get your attention. Maybe someone is trying to warn you about something. The alarm clock, the shaking of the bed; the body marks you mentioned didn't break your skin so they are not meant to be hurtful, like when someone grabs you to get your attention. I think in most such cases our human natural reaction is fear, but I can't help to wonder if there's another reason you are experiencing this. It's just a thought.
champ505 (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Thanks Brownie. This site is amazing.

I love visiting haunted places although I am just an amateur ghost hunter. Caught orbs, streaking orbs, stuff of that nature. Cold spots. We live very close to Bachelor's Grove in the Chicagoland area. Caught LOTS of orbs there. Unfortunately I have never really witnessed anything to stop me in my tracks and make me say, ok that is something from beyond.
I really really want to. I have a late Auntie who I would love to have her come back, if ever soo briefly, and let me know she's ok and happy. ❤
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hi lookin4answers and thanks for sharing this very interesting story with us!

Whoa, you sure had a lot of encounters. Honestly speaking, I don't think the part about you being scared of darkness and nightmares was anything related to there being a ghost in the house or you having a conversation with anyone. I think that that was just paranoia or something. Many a times, even I have been afraid of walking in complete darkness and I have had many scary nightmares but I never compare them with ghosts.

The part about the strange marks on your body, that is a little weird and disturbing to hear. Maybe, in the night, you might have scratched yourself or the dog might have accidentally scratched you (because you said the strange marks started after your friend and the dog moved in). Its just a thought though. Actually, I am trying to debunk as many things as possible!

I think that out of your house, your room is the most haunted because mostly everything happens in the room or to the person who is in the room. The closet light and the bed shaking part suggests paranormal activity in your room.

You should find out the history of the house as soon as possible because if you are saying that you aren't staying in your room, then its something serious. Oh and about the jewelry box, Emma is absolutely right that it may be belonging to the "it". This is just a thought but can "it" be your grandmother? Best of luck and keep us informed. I'm looking forward to more of your stories and to the continuation of this one!

Biemaster
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Oh, I forgot to mention that if by any chance whatever's there is really attached to that furniture (and I suspect that if your family knew or felt it too they wouldn't have let you keep it) then try removing the object to another place in the house or outside the house to see if the experiences stop for even a while.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hello lookin4answers and thanks for posting your story. As your profile name suggests, you're here like the rest of us trying to sort out this really confusing world and your experiences in it but I've been wondering lately if we could ever know all the answers with enough certainty. I doubt it.

I've read your experience and your comment with the attached picture. I speak without certainty but from what you're saying it seems that you have always been sensitive to a world many people aren't aware of. Maybe your sensitivity is what makes you an easier 'target' to the unseen. You can sense them thus recognize them, thus verify their existence and might even be able to offer assistance. With that been said, I sincerely doubt the scratches on your body or the terrible growls you hear can anyway be related to a past relative, let alone your grandmother and great-grandmother. In contrast, the lavender perfume you smelled while taking the picture of the old furniture might very well be a message from one of them just saying "we are here to protect you". I believe many energies use perfume smells to make their presence known or reveal their identity. Did any of them (ask your mom) ever use lavender scent?

Finally I think that your last experience sounds more like poltergeist to me. Just my opinion. Whatever the case though, you need to inform your parents and seek their help with this one.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hi Lookin4answers

Just a thought, try removing the jewlery box from the room and see if that stops the problems in your room. Try taking items that you think might have a history out one at a time to see if the problems resolve. If the problems are following you from one location to another, they are probably attached to something in your room.
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is I know my room is haunted at my mom's house, and my dad's old house. I had nightmares every night starting about a year and a half ago. A lot of them I can't remember but the ones I do is always of something chasing me or killing people I know. I know my nightmares are probably coming from stress, maybe yours are too?

Maybe you could bless your apartment. I'm not sure how to do that, but I know some people on this site do. Or you could just tell whatever it is to leave. Maybe it'll listen

Goodluck-Amanda
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Wow, that is beautiful, but something I can't figure out is if it was your grandma surely she wouldn't be the one doing that to you, the lavender though could be your grandma, letting you know that she is proud that you still have something of hers that she loved so much. Thanks for putting a link to the picture, I don't know how to post one though on here. 😊
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I know that my last post was only a few minutes ago... As I was going through my room, I was realizing that most of the things I have are things that I've bought new over the past few years... Except for one thing.

(If anyone knows how to post pictures in here I'd be grateful)

It's a small jewlery box that my parents gave to me after my great grandmother passed away in 2001. I was 17... I don't use it to store any jewlery, but I keep it for the fact it was my Granny's and decor...

It's about 6-7 inches tall, and 4 inches wide... Old, a little beat up... Oriental themed... Here's a link to a picture of it...

Http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/stangxtc/other052.jpg

Any thoughts?

Also, this may seem like an odd question, but as soon as I moved the jewlery box to take a picture of it my entire house smells like lavender... I don't have/nor am I a huge fan of lavender... Maybe it's just my imagination getting the best of me thinking its related... But?
lookin4answers (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I've never thought of it being attached to something in my room. I'm going to go in there (while it's still day light out...) and see if there is something that may fit that... I know I had some old jewlery of my great grandmother's, but I don't think I have it here anymore... Plus I don't think she'd be upset that I had it. I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

Nightmares and the scratch marks/bruises are the only things that have happened. And yes, I've experience it at 3 different houses in 2 different cities... The cities are an hour apart too.

Thanks again for all the input, I definitely appreciate it!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi, I say I have to agree with Emma, sometimes when you have something that belonged to someone, they will come back looking for it, or don't like the idea of someone else having it. Which, could be some kind of furniture, jewelry, etc, and if it is that, that person might have been an violent person, considering the scratches and bruises you are finding on your arms and stuff. Good Luck and again, thanks for sharing your story. Also welcome Champ505, Let me just say being part of this site you will definitely find some interesting and scary stories. 😊
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
I think Emma is right. You may have an old relic that belonged to someone else in a former life. And... They may want it back. Possessions can be haunted. Check around your room... IF you can go back in there! Go over every article. I'll bet you'll find something. Keep us posted!
champ505 (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
OMG I stumbled on this page just looking for something unrelated, but I'm glad I did. I joined just so I can follow all that is happening. I'm sorry I can't help you, but I hope things get better for you. Please give us updates, I will be checking daily. Emma gave great advice about perhaps this entity is attached to something you keep in your room. Do you maybe have an old piece of jewelry handed down? Do you feel this entity is malicious. I know it's frightening but has it harmed you in any way besides the scratches? I would be freaking.
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
So you have encountered this bedroom being in three different locations? Is this right? Seems like it is following you around, whatever it is. Perhaps it is attached to a particular object that you have in your room. I say this because it seems to be "trapped" in your bedroom and not haunting you outside of it. Do you have anything old, antique that is in your room?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: