You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Porcelain Joker Clown

Real Ghost Stories

The Porcelain Joker Clown

 

I was 8 years old when my Aunt Wendy, who lived in Tennessee, gave me a porcelain joker doll that had what looked like a red tear drop. We were getting ready for bed, and since we were staying with them, we didn't have any where to put it. My mom set it on the shelf in the front room. While my mom and I were lying there talking, we got the feeling that something was watching us.

When we looked around, no one was in there and everyone was asleep. My mom looked over to the joker doll, and noticed it was pointed toward us. Knowing she had faced it toward the door, my mom got up and turned it to face the wall. We laid there talking for a few minutes, when we heard a scratching noise on the shelf, like something heavy was being turned around.

When we looked over to the shelf, the joker doll was pointed toward us again. Thinking it was my cousin, we went in her room to see, she was asleep. I knew this as I hit her leg and she was never a good faker. After realizing she was asleep, we went back into the front room and my laid the joker flat on its face.

Later that night with everyone still asleep, my mom got up to use the bathroom and realized that the joker was lying on its back. So my mom got it and put it in the bag with our clothes, and the feeling as if something was watching us left. The next morning we got a call about a house.

In the process, my mom told my dad that she wanted to get rid of the doll. My dad said no, because my aunt gave it to me. We were unloading some stuff, and my mom put the joker doll in our hallway closet, hoping my dad wouldn't find it. Much to our dislike, my dad watched my mom put it there.

My dad brought it in my bedroom, and put it on my dresser. He said, "This is where I want it to stay." The feeling of being watched returned. I was lying there, glanced at my dresser to the joker doll, and noticed it had an evil smile on its face. I hollered for my mom, and when she came in she noticed it too, so she put it in my drawer.

The next morning, we were telling my dad about what happened. He was not believing in that stuff, told us to shut up, and that we were making it up. My mom decided to call my Aunt Wendy and ask her if they ever noticed anything out of the ordinary, and my aunt said yes, that was the reason they put it in the shed out back.

Later, that night my dad came home from work, and we told him what my aunt had told us. Unfortunately, my aunt denied it all, making my mom and I look like idiots. So, again that night, my mom put it back in the dresser drawer. She went to turn the coffee pot on so dad would have coffee the next morning and went to bed.

The next day, my mom and I were sitting in the kitchen. My dad came in the kitchen, holding the joker doll, and told us that he said he wanted it to stay on my dresser. Being 8 years old, I knew I had better, listened to him, and I went and put it on my dresser. He then started cussing, saying that he didn't see any problem with the joker doll, and we better keep it on my dresser. He didn't believe in stuff like that. I asked my mom if she would lie down with me, and she said yes. Still feeling an evil presence in the room, my mom said a prayer with me, and we fell asleep.

The next morning, when my dad got up, he came into the room where we were and told my mom he wanted the doll out of there. My mom says that she thought he didn't believe in things like we had been telling him, yet he just now decides that he wants the doll out of the house?

He began telling her that the night before, he got up to use the bathroom, stepped into my room and the joker doll had an evil smile on its face, and he heard an evil laugh. Now believing us, he went in my room, got the joker doll, and took it outside and tried to burn it. Only the clothes burnt, and the face turned black from the smoke. Then, he got it out of the trash barrel and hit it with a hammer, but only part of its face chipped. Getting freaked out, he took it to the neighbor hood dumpster and threw it in there. We never saw it again and everything in my room went back to normal.

A week later, I became friends with a boy in my class, and we all were over at his parents’ for supper when I looked in the front room. On a shelf there was a joker doll, just like the one I used to have. Later, my mom asked if she could look at it, and she noticed a mark where it was made that mine didn't have, and it didn't have the red teardrop.

After seeing that, my mom asked where they got it from. They told her what store, and my mom called my Aunt Wendy to ask her about my doll. She told my mom the same store. Mom asked my aunt about the tear drop, and my aunt said she asked the store clerk about it as it was the only one. The tear drop didn't look like any kind of paint, that it looked more like blood.

When my dad got on the phone, he asked my aunt about it again. My aunt told him what they had experienced. They thought that it didn't have anything to do with the joker doll, even though she said they felt an evil feeling, like someone watching them, which went away when the joker doll was in the shed.

You can choose to believe this or not, but if you don't please don't post any rude comments. I was wondering if the reason the joker doll was like that, could it have been made by someone that was into witch craft?

Other hauntings by Brownie09

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brownie09, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Starman69 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-02)
I bought a porcelain joker clown doll today, along with a very similar looking porcelain clown doll. I'm considering them to be brothers, so I bought them together.
They are both now sitting on my bed frame. Hopefully they won't make too much of a mess in my room, while I'm not there🃏😉
dorothy9998 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
clown dolls and clows creep me out my sis has a clown doll I swear every time I see it it looks like its looking at me
ghost_seeker (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-02)
Hey Brownie, Great story and a little creepy. For some reason though, I don't know if it is technical difficulties or whatever. But, I can't seem to read the conclusion. It only pops up the first five paragraphs while the last line I get to read is, 'My dad brought it into my bedroom, put it on the dresser, and he said,'... And that's it. No idea what going on for me, but I'll try to check later this evening to finish the conclusion. TTFN.
SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
What kind of a horrible aunt gives thier nephew/niece a cursed toy?!
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
Before your father noticed the evil face and laugh I wonder if your father may have been slightly possessed by the doll causing him to behave the way he did but he didn't know it - insisting on you keeping the doll in your room. Even if there's nothing wrong with it and it just looks scary a child shouldn't be forced to look at it in his or her room. Maybe the reason why your father behaved the way he did is because he didn't believe in this stuff until he saw it for himself. I just thought the doll may have been using your father's unbelief to cause him to behave this way to try to stick around as long as it can.
moonfire2011 (1 stories) (6 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-02)
Your aunt probably got rid of it because either things were happening to her with it, because the doll was cursed, or she had a vendetta against your family and put voodoo or something in it.
Kuruni_Nisse (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
Brownie09, I don't know if you still check stories for new comments, but, I wanted to let you know the way you described this clown joker doll's costume, it sounds to me like the way the old tyme punch & judy puppets were always dressed... They were called "Harlequin" costumes. Check out the image search on any search engine and type in Harley Quinn (she's a female bad girl--introduced to fighting against Batman & Robin.) oh and by the way that was a truly terrifying story! One reason I never liked dolls--of any kind.
ConfusingxRain (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-25)
Your story is really...unbelievable...o.o...

I have two clown dolls in my room...they're very scary T__T
I hate them -.-'
But they're in my closet D:

Kathi~
Kurohaven (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
Brownie09,
I totally understand where your coming from. My older sister, when she was living with her dad, had a creepy clown that would always sit on her dresser. I always felt a uneasy feeling whenever they would leave me in there to take a nap. And I swear to this day, it had the creepiest smile, and was always staring at me. So needless I hardly got any sleep. And it didn't help that later I learned that she had a doll that looked just like the bride of chucky with the same cothes on!
shadowman (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-29)
yes I baleave people can curse objects my sister had a dall and I broke out with ceriesis and wenever it was in the same room with me for verry long I would brake out evin worse we got rid of it and it all went away so yes I do baleave you dolls are verry weird if you ask me
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
That was an awful thing for your Aunt to give to you. That wasn't very nice of your dad insisting that the doll stay in the room when it terrified you. I have a few dolls of my own, and I swore one time one of them changed expressions and it looked angry. Weird but I keep it nonetheless. It doesn't feel evil to me so I don't mind it.
pumkin5198 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-15)
hey my name is jess. I read your story and thought I needed two tell you something. I have a very special gift. And something very simalar happened to me. Once my grandma came to visit us and we went to the store, she bought me the puppet (the ones with srings) everyone thought it was creepy but I liked it so I keeped it. The whole next day I played with my puppet, that night I put it on my shelve when I went to bed. That night I could not go to sleep, my puppet was giving me a creepy look, so I put it in my toy boxs. The next day my doll was out agin, I thought my mom put it on my shleve, so I asked her. She said she didn't do it. For the next few nights this happened agin, fanilly I threw it away things have been better now, but I still don't like puppets.
ParanormalReality (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
Hi, thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it. I believe you, that does happen. That is really creepy, I would of just had it burn all day and night until it was ashes. That is really scary. Thanks again for sharing your story, it is very well written. =]
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
Your story hits very close to home for me. I also got a joker/clown doll when I was 8. I also got it from my aunt. She didn't get any creeping feelings from it but I did. This darn thing, I hated it. The head would spin on its own. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps. I tore the head off of it once and put the head in our toybox and the body under the bed. In the morning it was back together on my dresser. I snuck it out of the house and threw it in the school dumpster. We moved soon after that so I told my parents that I lost it. Hehe! I was glad to be rid of it. Hope all it well. Thanks for sharing your story!
❤ raingrl
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
I am scared of clowns too. This story reminded me of one I wrote on here called " The ugle laughing clown". This joker doll sounds more like a clown then a doll and the red tear drop sure don't sound good.

However I do believe what you said to be true as far as someone that was evil that made it probably not. Just some objects can be evil and other things are not.

Good written story, thanks for writing it so we could read this story.
friendlyghost34 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
that's why I never buy dolls like that they always creep me out and sometimes clowns creep me out.
chocomad (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
omg that is soooooo creepy!
I would've been glad to get rid of a doll like that!
Hey did your friend who had the similar doll experience anything like you did?
But why would your aunt send you a doll she was scared of? Ehat did she experience?
😊
kaydee_cleavland (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Why the heck would your aunt Wendy give you a doll that she had been scared of? 😠
She must not have thought it would harm you in anyway at the time. 🤔
I wonder what time period it was... Maybe the 18th century!
I think that MIGHT make sense!

Loves from kaydee!

Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hi dreamergal and Rhodes, My dad was never the kind of father that cared, he would never believe me or my mom when we told him something that would happen, he would say that's bull****, and go do something else. I have never forgave my Aunt for doing that, since she knew about it. I think it was mean. To this day I still don't talk to her. My mom tried everything to hide it, but he would always find it, but when his sister came out and told him what they experienced, he believed her, but he never wanted to believe me and my mom.

Dreamergal, to this day I still won't have anything to do with them, every time I see one it reminds me of the one I had and it just gives me the creeps.

Thanks for the comments.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
I just have to wonder why anyone would insist on you keeping the doll when they could clearly see how horrified you were by it. "It's your aunt's present"? Excuse me but, so what? Even if the paranormal nature of this toy doll wasn't a 'believable theory" WHY would anyone force you to keep the doll in your bedroom when it deprived you from your sleep and emotional tranquility?

I'm sorry you had to go through this!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
hey brownie I never like clown real one and doll one it just make me nervous and kind of like chucky on the movie I know it real but I seen one at the mall. I do have clown doll but nothing happen anyway I got it from my uncle who I am close with.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi hobby holly, in a way I wish she would have, it would have kept me from going through that with the joker doll, to this day I won't have anything to do with them.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
This goes to show you, if a loved one really loves you, they just get you a gift card to Borders.

I jest. Nice story
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Tonith, also I forgot to mention, that I have never seen the movie dolls, but it wasn't anything like the joker off of batman, The one I had, had green,black, and white clothes, and the cap was the same as the clothes except it was more like lighter colors.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Thanks for the comments, As for my Aunt Wendy, we don't have anything to do with her, cause when my dad and mom got a divorce, she turned her back on us, but I never did forget her knowing there was something about it, giving it to me and not letting us know about it.
Thanks Gary, everyone I tried talking to about it would laugh and say such things didn't extist, and stuff like that, but to this day it still gives me shivers when I think about it.
Yeah Tonith, my dad never wanted to believe us, but after he experienced what we did, he was ready to get it out of there, but he wasn't the kind of dad that really wanted to be home and play with his kids, he rather be off somewhere at bar, and thanks for the comment on my story.
Hi, ChrisB,matticus,bruwx, Yeah, you can pretty much say after my aunt did that to me, me and my mom started experiencing the things that happened we tried to talk to her about, and she never did apologize. Sorry so long of a comment. 😊
Vicki
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
thats why I hate porcelain dolls, thers always something sinister about them 😨
matticus (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Very interesting story 😨. I knew joker/ clown dolls are evil baha. But seriously they always freak me out lol. Well thanks for a great story its one of my faves
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Thannk you for sharring this story with us. It was very scary and interesting. I have to say it I hate dolls. Some are nice but most of them can be very scary. I think it would be wiser for adults to give teddy bears instead 😆.I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Everyone is saying a joker doll. Do you mean a jester doll? Like Mr. Punch from the movie Dolls? Or more like the batman character the Joker? Not that it matters, I think they are all creepy and would not have something like that in my house. I think what bothers me the most is that your father insisted upon you having that in your room when you were scared of it. The fact that he ended up being freaked out does even the score but he, being a grown man and you being a little girl, he really owed you and your mother a big time apology. As far as Aunt Wendy she wouldn't have to give me another single, solitary thing the rest of my life. She was scared of the darn thing, then had the audacity to give it to a little girl. I'm sorry you had to go through something like that. I'm glad your mother was there for you.
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
well brownie, you want an answer. Here it is...

There are haunted houses, there are haunted people (I know I am one!), and there are haunted objects. Three main catagories for hauntings.

Numerous stories of haunted ouija boards, dolls, and even books, are seen thoughout history.

Some things are just plain evil, that doll was just that. We don't know if there is a tragec story behind it or if some entity was just looking for a place/thing to inhabit.

You did the right thing by getting rid of it.

Gary:)

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: