You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Roadside Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Roadside Ghost

 

This is something weird that happened to me a couple of years ago, a bit scary and certainly strange. I know what I am about to share was not imagined as my wife was with me the whole way.

Coming back from a social function on a Saturday evening on a back road that helps us avoid the weekend traffic, I was startled to see a man running towards the road from a near by field. I slowed up at this point and despite my wife being a little worried and unsure I pulled up to see if I could be off assistance as he looked very much in need of help. There was nothing striking about this man, he wore blue jeans, a blue jumper type thing and large beard that gave him an older look however if asked I would put is age at about 50. As I said, my wife was put at unease by him; so much so, that she elected to stay in car with mobile phone firmly in hand should anything go wrong.

Upon meeting this man I was immediately struck by how white he was, especially as he had been clearly running across a large field. He was also shaking quite badly and in a frantic tone he explained how he had been in adjacent field picking mushrooms (really) when he was set upon by two youths, he said that they were quite vicious in their intent but he was able to shake them off and get away. He claimed that he ran towards the road in the mad hope off seeing someone and even when he felt the attackers had given up the chase he would not slow down until he came to safety.

At this point I was starting to have some misgivings about his story as I could not see physical evidence that he had been attacked, I could see that he had a fright sure but nothing more. Upon asking how I could be of help he broke down in tears and explained that in order to make his way home, he would have to cross back across the field from which he had just come from. I offered him the use of my mobile phone but he declined saying that he lived alone and did not really know anyone. This part was not so unusual as we live in a small rural community about 40 minutes from a major town, that he should be one of the many who have chosen to live in isolation in some country shack was not that unbelievable.

So which much hesitation and evil death stares from my wife I offered to drive him back to his place. He said that from this road it would only take about 5 minutes if we took a dirt track or about 10/15 minutes if we used the road, needless to say we took the road option, even I at this point was starting to get a bit jumpy about this mans possible intentions.

As we drove along the man who had told us his name was Robert, talked quite openly about when he had moved into the area, his ex wife and the fact that he had no children. He spoke a bit more on the attackers he claimed he had been victim to, saying that he would drive into town tomorrow and make a report. We got to his home, which as I suspected was nothing more then a shack. Robert thanked us and got out of car, I know at this point I saw him make his way toward the door but in response to a desperate tug on my arm from my wife I turned my ahead for a split second and when I looked back, you guessed it, he was gone. Not hearing a door open or shut I started to get a bit freaked out, my wife said that she was not watching him as she was more focused on getting the hell out of there.

Now in moment of madness, I told my wife to stay in car while I checked to see if he was okay. Despite threats of divorce I turned off the car and got out, my wife slid into the passenger seat and said if I was not back in 2 minutes she would drive off without me.

So to finish this post let me just say that when I checked there was no one around, the house was open and completely empty and it was so overrun with cobwebs and judging from the smell, rats as well. I called Roberts name and got no answer, no one home. There was a broken down shed out back but no car, this whole place had a deserted air and as my wife was now revving the engine I run back to the car and we sped off.

I got the cold shoulder for a little while and my wife and I very rarely speak on this, we did ask around but no one seems to know about place. I am a skeptic from way back but this has led me to believe all may not be what is seems, very weird and believe me all very real.

Thank you for reading my post, sorry if it was a bit long.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, skepticmaybe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
Gotta say I had the same experience which I'll post up ASAP except mine was at a party. Strange story. Heard stories like that that happened here in Aussie. Scared the bejesus out of me...well, sort of did LOL 😐
BowieForever (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
This story is creepy as sin! Where abouts in australia was this? I live in aus too, could be near me. Better safe than sorry?
lildevil215 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
This is a really scary story! Didn't you guys feel scared or something! Cause I guess you're not supposed to pick up strangers! Specially if they are running away from something! 🤔 Well Good luck!
taliay93 (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
wow that's really scary, whereabouts in aus did thjias happen? Poor guy 😢
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Wow this was such an interesting story. I realy enjoyed reading it. I believe that Roberts didn't know that he had died. Maybe that night when he was a ttacked was his final night as a person. Now I believe that his spirit is lost. He does not know what is going on. I would suggest doing some research on the place. I hope you find something. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
littlechick (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
was there a murder story before that involved the viscious teenagers? Had any one in town heard of the teenagers?
I am so glad you and your wife are okay. It's too bad we can't help strangers in need these days as you never know who's for real.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Skepticmaybe, that was a disturbing encounter you had! It sounds like your assistance, no matter how kind and appreciated it might have been, came a little too late for this poor man. Could you possibly find out anything about past accidents or crimes in that area?
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hi Skepticmaybe and thanks for this awesome story!

This was a great story indeed! I know many stories like this one so I definitely believe you! I'm surprised that "the man" was talking to you and your wife, that also quite openly. I don't think he died a long time back because when you asked him if he wanted to make a call from your mobile, he didn't say that he didn't know how or it didn't exist, etc, but he actually said he didn't know many people. I suggest that you go on the internet and search if anyone else has experienced anything like that ever. Thanks and looking forward to more of your stories!

Biemaster
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Now that's creepy, wonder if he was trying to tell you something, perhaps you could research more about the area, house and surrounding countryside etc. Does this place have an address?
yeahsexay (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
AWESOME! HA WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO MEET A DEAD GUY! No really what was it like.?😆
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi My parent tough me not to pick up hitchiker by side of the road but anyway it a good story and wow skippy about meet this man.
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi Skepticmaybe, Thank you for posting your story. I really enjoyed reading it. Where there any murders or anything in the area?
Might explane what happened to you.
Take care ❤
rjv4 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I guess the scariest thing about this incident was risking a divorce? Now that is even scarier than your story!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Other stories regarding situations such as you describe are numerous. As ladyanne stated, there is the girl in the prom dress- that one keeps cirulating, some of the details may change, but...

Anyway, I believe your story. I believe the original story regarding the girl in the prom dress. I guess the main reason I believe is these stories came to be from something genuine occuring.

It is quite possible the man you encountered had been attacked and unfortunately did not come out of the attack well enough to tell others about it. It was obviously not the right time for him to go (as he sees it) and he has unfinished business and/or is not able or willing to accept the fact that he is no longer of this world.

I will say some prayers for him so he is able to finally cross over and find peace.

As far as being a good samaritan... I know it was a tremendous shock and scare for both you and your wife (glad the divoce threats did not come to fruition), but you did this man a great service. He was able to tell someone he had been attacked, which he may not have been able to before. He was able to un-burden himself. You may have helped this individual in releasing some of his fear and anxieties, and hopefully to go with the Lord!

God Bless!
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Wow that was a good story. It was a rare encounter one that you are probably unlikely to experience again, one that most people won't experience for a while. You did the right thing and your heart was in the right place.

Thanks for sharing, I'd love to read more from you in the future.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
If you decide to go back to the shack you dropped him off at and it is empty and abandonded, take pictures and also go inside and search. You may be able to find papers or old mail that bare a name of the previous owner. If you find a name, you can check the data base of the local area newspaper for any stories of violence pertaining to the name. Good luck.
skepticmaybe (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
There are times when it does my head in, he was there, a person, but then he wasn't there was he, cause he was a ghost or something; Changes your perception on things quite a bit.

Thanks for your feedback so far
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
SkepticMaybe--I'd say you don't need to grow a pair; hell, you got 'em. You were both compassionate and brave, and that spells true warrior to me. It takes 2 people to talk, and if your wife doesn't want to, you respect her choice and talk with others. I cannot imagine such an experience ever going out of your head, only growing more intensely curious as time goes on. Definitely take a friend or two if you return to the shed with a camera, and see if you can dig up information on it. Maybe a souvenir will carry some psychic energy that will eventually bring some answers. God be with you, buddy.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Wow, good story, Sounded like your wife was really scared, threats of divorce and leaving you there. 😆 Does she not want to talk about it or something? As for the man saying that he was attacked, maybe he was passing on the hint on how he died. 😕 Thanks for sharing your story.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
So much for being a good samaritan but your heart was in the right place. Me thinks you saw a full blown apparition that was also able to communicate. That rarely happens. It's like they are real but not exactly real if that makes any sense from what I have heard of this kind of phenomenon. You are right he should have been red in the face from fighting off attackers and fleeing across the field. I wonder if anyone was killed in that area in the likes that this man said he was attacked? That you could find out without going back to the location. Knowing me, I would get some friends together (too chicken to do it alone) and go back and investigate it. I can't imagine having something like that happen and just be able to let go of it. Very few people ever get to experience what you did and I don't know if that is a good thing or not. Great story.
skepticmaybe (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Never heard that story and I did hesitate before publishing this cause I had to believe it myself but it was all very real and it still gives me the creeps to think about.

If there are other cases out there I would love to know, I will go back and I will take photos although I am not sure what could show but you never know. My wife was clued in not me, until the last I was thinking we were being lulled into some kind of ambush; you know redneck style but a ghost that was way out there. Not sure if I should feel privileged or scared.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Sounds like the numerous stories about the girl in a white prom dress (circa late 1800's) who is seen often in the hills surrounding California's bay area, one of the long windy passes through the hills named Pacheco. Many, many people have stopped to see if she needs help, given her a ride at her request, only to have her dissipate in the seat beside them. Very believable, thanks for sharing such a well told story. Give your wife a hug for me?
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Not long skepticmaybe but a good ghost story. Your wife sounds like she had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen! Yes I would say this was definitely a scary and unbelievable experience for you by the sounds of your name! 😆 My husband is a skeptic too, but not as bad as before considering a few unexplained things with us. It would be interesting to find out any information about the history of the property and location of where this occurrence happened and if you could go back some time to that area and take pictures. Thanks for sharing your story here.
SRoche724 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
That was an amazing story! I don't know what to say but "wow..." I wonder what that guy's deal was...
skepticmaybe (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Yeah he was like a real person and looking back I can't think of anything that would off suggested otherwise. He just vanished, I only turned my head for a second and he was gone so I did not see him fade away or anything and I often wonder what I would have seen had I not been distracted.

My wife and I don't chat about it because she has basically forbid it (you can guess who wears the pants hey)

I have spoken about it with others and have thought about returning to property but I have not plucked up the courage. I no this sounds dramatic but after he disappeared it was like the air was sucked out the place, the house, the shed, it was all bad vibes. So I have to seriously grow a pair before I return
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
woah that is freaky! Did he actually look solid and like a normal person and did he just fade away? I want to know more! 😊
resz (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Wow that is creepy... Very funny too. I could picture your wife freaking out. "despite threats of divorce..." haha! Why don't you guys ever talk about it? Was she that scared? Good story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: