You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Spirit Guardian

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit Guardian

 

A friend of mine had a cat that subsequently had kittens. My friends and family know that I'm a cat person, so it goes without saying that I fell in love with one of the kittens whom I later named Prism. At the time, I was told that I was being given a female cat, and for whatever reason I didn't check. Later, when I took Prism to the vet to get shots, I found out she was a he. In spite of his girly name, it stuck and he answered to it, so I left it alone.

My parents had very recently divorced and I was fifteen when I got Prism. I was immediately attached to him. He was a little bit of a trouble-maker, but he kept me company while my dad was working. There was no one in the house but my dad and I, so it was lonely until Prism came into my life.

He slept at the foot of my bed every night, and he would always wake up with me before school and demand his breakfast before I ate mine. As soon as I came home when the day was done, he would be at the door waiting for me, and when I sat down to do my homework or get on the computer, he'd find a cozy spot near or on me to lay and purr.

One thing that I had always noticed about Prism was his human like qualities. His eyes were green, almost the exact same shade as mine. He had a very interesting personality, and he tended to have particular tastes in food, toys and people. His moods were very apparent in his body language and facial expressions.

Occasionally when I got lonely, I would talk to him, and he'd watch me intently without ever seeming to grow bored. He would stare into my eyes and twitch his ears, picking up the tiniest environmental sounds but never turning his face away, as though he knew that I wanted his attention. He was affectionate when I was sad, and he always cuddled up to me when I was down. He knew how to make me laugh by being silly and doing things like chasing his own tail and sometimes, he'd just sit up with both paws on my face as if to say, "Get a grip, Shastina!"

He also had a very strong ability to sense presences, whether or not anyone else appeared to be in the room. He often followed things that I couldn't see, just as all cats do, but he seemed to see a lot more than most cats. I would often see him chase something invisible through the house. Sometimes he would meow at his unseen playmate, which struck me as very strange because he was generally a quiet cat.

While my dad and I were living in the little two-bedroom, one-bathroom house where I had Prism, a lot of strange things happened. I would often hear banging and thumping noises. Prism would hear the noises too, and he'd sit just near me like a sentinel, as though challenging whatever it was to try and get past him. He would sit there and stare at something for extremely long periods of time, sometimes for hours, or until it seemed he felt that it was safe. Then he'd jump up onto my lap and comfort me by nuzzling my face. He always knew when I was scared, and he'd give me looks as if to say "don't worry, I've got you covered" and then he'd look up at me reassuringly when he felt the coast was clear.

As time went on, the activity got worse. I felt an oppressive presence all the time, especially when I was alone, but even when I had company. There was the typical feeling of being watched and the feeling of someone near you, just out of reach. I often saw shadows and shapes moving about the house, and there were times when I would wonder if someone had broken in because the noises and movements were so obvious.

I called my dad's cell phone on several occasions, and he would tell me to spend the night at my neighbor's house or invite a friend over to spend the night with me. It got so bad that I began to have panic attacks, and I even began to think that I was going crazy. I was scared to tell my dad about it, because I figured he'd just think that I was imagining things.

I remember one instance in which a friend of mine came over and spent the night. My dad was working late and it was very dark, probably about nine or ten o'clock on a Saturday. My friend and I were watching a movie, and we began to hear noises. First, it began as sporadic tapping sounds. There was no particular timing to them.

I tried to ignore them because I didn't want to scare my friend, but I knew she heard them too because she would stop watching the TV and look at me every time it happened. Finally, it got too loud to ignore, and with one particularly sharp slamming sound, she looked up at me and said, "What was that?" I was scared but I didn't want to show it, so I pretended that I hadn't heard it. She got really scared, and I felt bad, so I explained that I would hear the noises too and it kept me from panicking if I pretended not to hear them.

It wasn't long before we moved out of the house.

We ended up moving in with my stepmom and her three kids, and my younger stepbrother got a gorgeous Russian blue cat with bright yellow eyes. His name was Buster and he became Prism's companion right from the start. They acted like brothers with the way they would fight, make up, play and start all over again.

Unfortunately, the new house was just as bad if not worse. There were more noises, more shadows, and occasionally the lights would turn off and the microwave would go crazy. There were prickly electric vibes in the air from time to time, and worse, it seemed that the closet doors would open all by themselves.

Doors would open and close on their own and once, the bathroom door shut and locked itself without anyone knowing about it. No one had been home except my younger brother, who couldn't figure out for the life of him how the door had shut with no wind to shut it. When my older sister moved out, she left the bedroom downstairs vacant behind her, and occasionally we would walk by and see a human-shaped shadow pass by the door or see the bathroom door close when no one was around to close it.

Thankfully, we moved again. The next house we moved to was another rental, as the other two had been. If you know anything about California, you know the real estate market and costs of living are extremely pricey. The new house was even worse than the first two! It had creaky floorboards and some very strangely angled things, as if it had been built a bit haphazardly.

The part that creeped me out the most was a very small crawlspace in my parents' walk-in closet that had been sealed shut and painted over. We never found out where it led, but it seemed to go into a little attic section. We heard a lot of scratching sounds up there, but we thought it might just be rats... Even though we'd never actually seen any rats in or around the house.

The cats would often randomly freak out and run from something. Buster the Russian blue would often hide in closets and cupboards from things, and he'd look terrified. Prism would often cry and sit by the windows, staring out of them as if wishing to move to a new house. I began to wonder if something was following our family, or if maybe someone was following Prism.

And then, my wonderful life with my guardian cat ended. Prism developed a terrible bladder infection and declined rapidly. In a combination of illness and veterinary negligence, my poor boy was no longer. We were forced to put him to sleep or else watch him suffer while he was poked and prodded, so we let him have a dignified ending. The last time I saw him, he was in so much pain. I just wanted him to stop suffering.

Buster was never the same. Without his buddy, he spent all of his time in solitude, hiding under the blankets in my parents' room or holing up in a dark cupboard under the sink. He never made any noise at all. He didn't like to be petted and only seemed to come out to eat. Even when my younger brother got another cat, a kitten we named Punk, Buster was completely uninterested.

Buster also didn't like closed doors. If bedroom doors in the house were closed, he would cry and scratch the door or dig the carpet until we opened the door. He wouldn't go in or leave, but he wanted the door open no matter what.

One night, Buster started acting really strange. He paced up and down the halls in the house, crying and harassing me to keep my bedroom door open. He rubbed himself against my legs, which was uncharacteristically affectionate of him. He kept demanding attention, and since cats usually act up before earthquakes, I kept bracing myself for things to start shaking. When the night came, I never expected what happened next.

I went to bed that night thinking about Buster's strange behavior. Normally he spent the night huddled under the blankets on my parents' bed or stalking the kitchen, but instead, he chose to spend the night lying on my bed at my feet, where Prism used to sleep. Punk was being his normal high-spirited self, prancing around the house and keeping himself entertained. Buster just kept watching me with his bright yellow eyes, as though he were expecting something to happen. I had a hard time sleeping because of it. Buster finally laid his head down to sleep, and I was able to doze off myself.

I dreamt that I was standing in an endless stretch of green grass. Part of me had been expecting the farewell dream for a while, but never like this. Instead of my beautiful long-haired gray, white and black cat, a young man approached me from seemingly thin air. His hair was the same color and pattern as Prism's fur had been, and he had the same bright green eyes, but he was a human man. He smiled at me and there were tears in his eyes. He wrapped his arms around me and spoke to me through his thoughts. He told me that he missed me and that he was sorry to go, but that he was glad I hadn't allowed him to suffer.

He said that he'd always be around to watch after me, and that he'd hold our Russian blue cat responsible for protecting me in the physical world. He told me that good things would happen soon, and that I didn't need to be afraid anymore. We were going to end up somewhere better, and he would be our spirit guardian.

When I woke up from the dream, I felt a little sad but revitalized. Not long after the dream, our parents came across a fantastic opportunity and bought our very first house of our own. From the moment I stepped foot into it, I felt the change.

There was no oppressive feeling, no strange sounds, and no heavy shadows. There was a feeling of protection and comfort. Buster has become a very social cat and occasionally I see him running around the house as if he's still playing with Prism. I've seen a lot of Prism's personality in the now fully-grown kitten, Punk. He even has the same green eyes.

The best part is that our house is calm and normal now, without any strange sounds. It's almost as though Prism is protecting our family from the other side

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Thank you LouiseJ1995 😊 I appreciate you taking the time to read and leave your comment.
LouiseJ1995 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
DeviousAngel - This is such a wonderful story! ❀ I did in fact have tears in my eyes reading this, The dream you had of him in human form is lovely to hear after his passing, it seems he was really there in your mind telling you he was fine and had the other cats looking out for you as was he, absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to have a cat now 😊 ❀
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Hi stephy, thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. 😊 Whenever I have pets or find myself in the company of animals, I get attached to them VERY quickly. I love animals. I will have to check out your story on the sister site, I have heard about it but never been over there. I am sorry to hear that you lost your feline buddy too. 😒
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Hi Devious, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I just favorite-personed you after seeing how much you and I are alike, and am now reading your stories to play catch up (which is why this comment is late).

I also lost my cat:- (I'm very much a cat person, and they are quite my passion. I'm not surprised your Russian Blue wasn't happy after the last move. Russian Blue cats typically HATE their environments being changed. Its a trait of the breed. Not that there wasn't anything creepy about that house, its just he would have probably acted that way regardless.

I post on the psychic page, and I recently published my experience there about my cat that I put down. I guess that's why this story hit home, and I just wanted to say hi. I like your stories, and your down-to-Earth personality. I like that you try to rationalize things too. 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
Well there's always the option of being a part-time vet, full-time sniper! Or visa versa, haha. And that's awesome that you grew up playing video games (gamer girls for the WIN!) and I can see why it possibly swayed you for such an aspiration. And I know the latter wasn't directed at me, but can I just say it made me smile to read that Punk is still a lot like Prism, even though he's obviously a little older now. I am so happy you have a cute, furry reminder of your lovely guardian every day. 😁
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PiP - oh my gosh, it is like you are talking about me! Lol! I wanted to be a vet too. Of course, I also wanted to be a sniper, but I think that was because I was into video games from a young age. I did not grow up to be either of those, actually... I work in a warehouse, haha. And your kitty sounds like a real character! It must be so fun to have him around, even if he is sabotaging you!

Kathwitt - thank you very much for your comment! I also have two kitties, a boy and a girl. Our boy is an outdoors cat and the girl is indoors. They both have such distinct and amusing personalities. I see a lot of Prism's personality type in our boy, Punk. He really is a punk! Of the two, he is the one that digs at the carpet, sharpens his nails on the sofa and tries to bury his food under the bowl.
kathwitt (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
Thats amazing! I have always been a cat person and currently have two now... And they are so amazing with personality.
I'm so happy for you to have such a great kitty friend and to have found your guide! This was a great story:)
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
DeviousAngel,

Haha I always toy with my sig huh? 😳 You can call me whatever you'd like. PiP is easy enough, even though it brings hobbits (Pippen from Lord of the Rings) to mind πŸ˜†

I'm with you on being a huge animal lover always. I even thought I would become a vet one day (yay for cliche!), but my lack of math/scientific skills shot that down.

I love how cats have so much personality! My kitty is stocked to the brim with it. He has taken thumb tacks off the walls from my posters and put them in my shoes on multiple occasions. I know it was him because he always stands on his hind legs and attempts to bite the tacks off; and the ones he can reach are the ones that go missing. I love him despite his plots to mangle my foot with a tack, though. 😜

Thanks for writing me back. Take care sweetie.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PiP (what should I call you? Lol!) Thank you so much for your comments. I am and always have been a huge animal lover, especially with cats. They just have so much personality! I appreciate you taking the time to read my story and I am honored that it made it to your favs. 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
P.S. I wish I would have commented a few minutes later. I just checked my e-mail, and the subject of the latest message is "It's the season of Prism!"

I just thought it was cute, and it made me think of you. 😊
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
DeviousAngel,

Sorry to be so late on commenting on this story, even though I am a YGS n00b πŸ˜‰

I must say that this is one of my absolute favorite stories. You are an amazing writer. I read this particular story a little over a week ago, then I made my boyfriend listen to me read it to him (He's a kitty person now because of my kitty).

I added this to my favorites and will be reading it when I need a little extra smile.

❀
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
BTW, I think Prism is a great name for a male or female pet. It might have been different if you had named him Prissie.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
bacchaegrl - No offense taken. As a kid, I was hyper. My parents bought me the dog when I was 10. THEY took care of it for the most part. Over the years, the dog became attached to my older adopted sister. While she (the dog) wouldn't run from me, she rarely came to me on her own accord. Yes, I have a family. I've been married for 12 years and I have a son. Still, a pet, especially a dog or cat, provides a different kind of relationship. There have been plenty of dogs over the years that really like (d) me which were/are "owned" by other people. I got significantly more mature by time I was about 17, but that was too late for the dog my family had since I was 10. She still saw me as the "hyper kid". I hope that clears things up.
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Prism's amazing!
There's this folk lore I've heard of growing up- when a demon tries to enter your home, your pet cat will strike a deal with it. If the demon could count each piece of fur accurately, the cat will let it in. So the demon won't win, the cat would every now and then stretch and shake, confusing the demon's fur count.

I'm not even sure if it's local to my country, but it was something my brother shared because before we had a lot of cats.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
No offense, TruthInDarkness, but that was a rather funny comment. How you explained that you didn't get close to your dog because you were hyper. That's funny. Are you planning on getting a dog to become your friend? Don't you have a family? Or a human friend. I don't mean to be rude. I really don't. But that comment seemed really out of character for you. Usually you are so elequent and such. Sorry, I'll be quiet now.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Really cool story. I had a dog once when I was a kid. I was hyper back then. So, we never became very close. I do hope to have a pet one day that will be a close friend. Thanks for sharing.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-17)
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! Prism was my very best friend, and I definitely won't forget him. I actually stumbled upon some pictures of him recently and it made me a little sad, but it's funny how things work... My other cat, which is about a year-old tabby/calico mix, hopped up in my lap and started purring like she was trying to comfort me. πŸ˜† Animals are the best at sensing people's moods and knowing when they need a little extra affection.
Shira (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-17)
The first time I read this I cried at the end. I can honestly say that you are lucky to have someone who cares for you this much. Prism is a true friend it seems. And for a guardian to take physical form he must really care for you
Shira 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-16)
oh devious how did I miss this one before? I'm in tears here trying to read this 😭 how sweet and moving yet scary too
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-25)
Thank you Rashidah!:) I feel so grateful to have been able to spend time with my animal companions over the course of my life. They are truly the most loyal and wonderful spirits.
Rashidah (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-18)
This was excellently told. I totally believe in spirit guardians. They protect us when we need them.

I have a couple and they are just wonderful.

I am glad I found this story ❀
Elijah1616 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-18)
Your welcome D.A.!
Can I call you D.A.?
Lol
Yeah I hope that prism will be really happy in his next life!:)
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-13)
Thank you Elijah! I appreciate the read and the fav.:) I'll always miss my boy, but I truly hope that his next life will be even better.
Elijah1616 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-10)
I cried when you said that prism died and you got a dream... But at least PUNK is just like prism... Right?
... Maybe prism was a guy in his past life sometimes it's just like that... 😭
I'll fave this one!
ghosty_boy (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-02)
Poor Prism, at least you got a good bye.

Btw I'm happy for you. πŸ˜†
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-23)
😭 I don't know what to say... But... -FAVE- I'll come back and read this again in the future, I bet...

Really touching, emotional story... Thank you for sharing. It was beautiful.

As you began describing Prism, I got the distinct impression that he may have been a human in his past life. Your farewell dream deepened my impression.

Gah... -wipes her tears away-
oc3anbreezexx (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
That is very odd that you saw Prism in human form, makes you wonder huh? But a very touching story at that. ❀
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Thanks for the story, I think that just because Prism is gone, he is still watching over you, and he knows that you done the only thing that could have been done besides surgery or other things, but he was able to get Buster and the new kitten to watch and protect you too. 😊 ❀
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
DeviousAngel, it is often said and I've come to believe it too, that once a spirit finds its way through the 'portal' others may follow it-actually I think we should be saying 'ghosts' not 'spirits'. In your case I feel Prism was there to protect you from those who reached you first. I'm glad you can still feel your beloved companion around you. It takes a lot of love to bring a pet or a deceased individual back to protect the ones they love!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
rhodes68- I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation either, but like you, I'm pretty open-minded about the concept. I'm not sure if perhaps Prism was a reincarnated spirit or not, but either way, I'm so glad that he was in my life for the time that he was, and that he's still with me now, protecting our family. If it WAS reincarnation, perhaps the hauntings around our house had something to do with his reincarnated spirit, like something following him? Maybe that's why he felt that he needed to protect our family, and also why he felt that he should continue to do so even after he had passed. Just speculation, but either way, I feel better now! Thank you!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: