You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Hard Lesson Learned

Real Ghost Stories

A Hard Lesson Learned

 

When I was little, I was one of these kids who don't seem to be afraid of anything. The only two things I really feared were sharks and death. I know, weird, right? I wasn't afraid of heights, spiders, needles or bogeymen. I wasn't afraid of the idea of ghosts, witches, voodoo priests or cannibals. It was that sense of reckless courage that got me into a lot of trouble one day in elementary school.

One of my childhood friends and I had heard about how the bigger kids played scary games like "light as a feather, stiff as a board." There were all sorts of chilling stories about what happened after kids played with ouija boards and things like that. It still baffles me that they sell them to this day after all the damage they've done. My friend and I felt brave one day, so we decided to try out a little game called Bloody Mary.

If you aren't familiar with the game, it basically revolves around a similar set of ideas, though they vary depending on who you ask. There's a dozen different speculations on who Bloody Mary is supposed to have been in life and what untimely event caused her terrible death. Either way, the idea is to stand in a dark bathroom with a mirror and summon her by doing any number of different things, such as turning on the sink or flushing the toilet (which centers from the idea that water is the gateway to Hell), lighting one or more candles, or burning a particular type of incense. No matter which method you go with, it's almost always the same basic thing: you're supposed to say her name three times, "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary!" On the third time, it's said that she will appear in the mirror to claim the soul of the unfortunate person who called her. If you see her, you're supposed to haul butt out of there before she gets you. It sounded like a demented game of tag to me, so my friend and I snuck into the single-stall girl's bathroom at our private elementary school.

We didn't have candles or anything like that, so we gathered our courage and went into the bathroom with the lights off. My friend and I stood in front of the mirror and held each other's hand, just in case. We counted to three and began the chant. Three times we said the name, and on the last one, my friend flushed the toilet. I don't know what we were expecting to happen or what good we thought might come of doing something so reckless and obviously stupid. The whole process seems really ridiculous to me now, but not the result.

I don't know what she saw to this day, but I know what I saw, and more precisely what I heard. I know that fear does a lot of things to mess up your senses but I will never forget that one stupid incident. Whatever it was, a demon or a wayward spirit, or perhaps it really was Bloody Mary. The figure of a woman in a flowing white dress stained with dirt and blood stood in the mirror where our reflections should have been. Her hair was matted and tangled all around her and seemed to hang suspended, independent of gravity, in stringy black threads. I remember how white and horrible her face was, as if her expression was forever twisted in the agony of her death. Her eyes were wide but I don't remember what color they were, or if I even saw. She had these horrible sharp teeth, like a shark, and there were too many of them for a human jaw.

The worst part was the sound. There was a sound like a hammer striking an anvil, a sort of metallic thunk that echoed in my head more than my ears. There was a sort of distant scream, but it didn't sound human. It sounded like an animal being slaughtered. To this day, I can't believe how much I remember about it, because we were only there for a few seconds after we saw her, though it had seemed like several minutes. I will just never forget that horrible face and that awful sound.

We ran out of the bathroom screaming and never even thought about doing that again. A couple of days later, there was a rule that the teachers had put in place very strictly that no children were allowed to go to the bathroom unaccompanied, and that only one child was allowed into the bathroom at a time. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the game we played and what we had experienced or not, but one of the last things I remember hearing about it was just a rumor that I'd heard from one of the other kids there. They had overheard one of their parents discussing the situation with the teacher.

One of the boys from the school had played the same game we had, but he had ended up in the hospital. They said that he scratched himself because he had long fingernail rakes down his arms and he was so scared that he wouldn't tell anyone what had happened. I've definitely learned a very powerful lesson: do not meddle with violent spirits.

Other hauntings by DeviousAngel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeviousAngel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pennystaken (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
Very scary story! I've played that game but all it did was scare me a bit and I never saw her.
The legend revolves around Queen Mary who was daughter of King Henry the VIII and who's violent catholic reign of England earned her the name "Bloody Mary" as she would slaughter heretics and Protestents. The legend is her soul is trapped in mirrors and haunts to this day. She wasn't a super happy queen.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-25)
PrettyInPain, thank you very much! This experience was one of those ones I could have done without. But I do like the theories of others on here as to what it might have been, and I am really glad that I had the opportunity to discuss it with others. I really think it gave me a different perspective that I would not have thought of on my own.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
Hello there DeviousAngel :)

I have been lurking here for the past few days, but this is the first story I felt the need to comment on. I have also heard of this "legend" as a child, and honestly it is still a frightening concept to me.

I feel so bad that you had to experience this. I can only imagine how incredibly terrible that felt! I feel so lucky, for I tried this method with my friends when I was young also.

I enjoyed Rook and Ashley's theories about this.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. You are a truly talented writer. ๐Ÿ˜Š
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-16)
No offense taken! And I'm glad you're looking out for others here... Some really need it. ๐Ÿ˜†
Shira (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-14)
DeviousAngel,
I am sorry if I offended you in any way or if I came off snobbish. Seriously I didn't mean to.
Actually this comment was not directed to so much as it was younger people who may want to try the "game" despite being warned.
Shira ๐Ÿ˜Š
momof2 (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
This is pretty interesting, I believe the story changes in different parts of the world. I can honestly say the toilet Bloody Mary game I have never tried or heard of until now!

I am in Canada. We've played this game in the mirrors since grade school, in fact we've done it at least every year since grade 1. Nothing that I can recall ever happened to any of use; but I'm fairly sure we all ran out of the bathroom just after the last bloody Mary was said.

I admit to this day, I have trouble walking into a dark bathroom, I won't even look at the mirror ๐Ÿ˜†!
veelababe09 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
Hey,
My friend and I decided to try this game when we were younger. However, what we heard you're supposed to do is look in the mirror, say the name 3 times, then turn off the lights, and you're supposed to see Bloody Mary. What we saw was just ourselves I think, because that was the last thing we saw and it was imprinted in our minds. You just played a more intense version of the game I guess lol
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-08)
There are many theories of who "Mary" is. One common theory is Mary, Queen of Scots. The same one who it took two swings of an axe to decapitate. In any case, I always tell myself I'm going to do it but I refuse when I'm in the bathroom alone, and in the dark. Some things just aren't worth taking a risk on. I think the ability for it to work is based on whether or not a) you believe in the supernatural and b) whether you're a sensitive or not.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Shira - Being older and (I like to think) wiser, I understand that NOW. Back then, I was just a kid and kids do stupid things. These days I wouldn't dream of harassing entities just for thrills. Especially after reading some of the stories here, you never know what can happen...
Shira (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-21)
I am new here and don't have any stories posted but I have had my fair share of supernatural encounters. In truth, I didn't even know this "game" existed until I read this. I believe that this is, and I quote "using a lighter to check how full your gas tank is". It's just stupid, and actually a bit inconsiderate too. I feel that after you pass on (however it happens) you become someone/something entirely different. And if you continue to speak about said person, in a way you hold them back. They cannot find peace. I don't mean to sound harsh here but really, if you think about it. That could be one reason for this entity being upset and scaring/hurting people.
Also, with my experience things/spirits tend to follow me. Another reason NOT to do this. Even if you don't see,hear,smell,or feel anything there is no garentee you are in safe water... The spirit could be lying in wait.
...Shira ๐Ÿ˜
flutterby (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-29)
I did that once in my school toilet with two friends when I was... 12 I think. Soon as the last Bloody Mary was said, we heard a scream and bolted out there! I almost crapped myself... That same day our friend owned up to having screamed just to make us scared... Lil nitwit. But yeah... That story had my heart racing!
pinklady1802 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-31)
hmmmmm, I have tryed it many times but I'm trying it when my friend (libby who likes to be called tiffany) have decided to do it, shes coming round for a sleepover in the easter holidays and wer going to do it at midnight. I'm really excited!...
Junebugger (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
Well I tried this three times no b.s. And it never worked for me. Probably my toilet was clogged or something. Or maybe like in leper-con you just have to believe in order to see the pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow. LMAO! In my opinion, its B.S. But if its not, then damn that's freaky!
oingo_boingo (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
That's really freaky.
I actually did this twice...

The first time I was at my friend Arezo's house and she told me about the story. I was about 9.
I ended up going in her bathroom, lights off and I had the water running.
But I didn't say her name out loud... I sort of mouthed it and said it in my head.
I was scared as it was because of the story.
Nothing seemed to happen, but then again I rushed out of the bathroom the second I mouthed the last "Bloody mary".

The second time was during the day in my friends bathroom, but it was still pretty dark with the lights off.
Her and I were both in the bathroom. And we said "Bloody Mary" three times then flushed the toilet... And nothing happened. We stood there for a few seconds too to see if anything would happen but nothing did.

And looking at all these comments, thank goodness nothing did. ๐Ÿ˜
monicar (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
i heard the same rumors of school friends trying this at school and things happened one friend even got a grey streak in her hair and I'm telling you I'm 35 years young I'm sitting at my computer next to the bathroom and I have a running toilet and while reading your story I didn't even read her name 3 times I skipped over it didn't want to take no chances I just had surgery and can't run fast lol
pinklady1802 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-04)
hi its me again, I used to be haflingers10 but I had to change my account. Thanks for your reply. I will try to do different methods, I just want it to work. I'd love to see her in the mirror (yeah sounds stupid, bla bla bla but I really want to do this (:)
ghosty_boy (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-02)
Whoa! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ that is freaky.

I would never do that,

Well I suppose when you are young a lot of things seem weird and cool but...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
I'm not sure why you'd want to do it after reading some of the comments here and the story itself! Be warned, because you might be doing something that you cannot control the outcome of.

With that said, for some reason or another, there are many people who have tried it and never achieved a result. I'm not really sure what makes one case different from the next, or why this image appears only to a handful of individuals. Honestly, I would count myself fortunate that it didn't work!

If you really feel the need to do something like this, I guess you can look online for different methods... But personally I won't condone doing this, especially in the event that you and your friend get hurt.
haflingers10 (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
i did this at school today and nothing happened! Me and my mate tryed over and over again and it still wouldn't work, so I just gave up. Is there anything else I could do? I really want to try it (I did it in the dark (it was light in there the lights were turned off though and yep I did flush the toilet and turn on the taps) and say bloody mary 3 times ๐Ÿ˜ฒ any help?
carliahhhxx (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-20)
once I was at a friends house and we were in her room and she wanted to do bloody mary in her mirror so she turned the lights off and had one candle lit and I was sitting on her bed in the corner with my eyes squeezed shut and she said bloody mary three times but nothing happened. I got freaked out though. Then we tried an ouija board but it didn't work, I think that's because it was a piece of paper with the alphabet and numbers written on it and a shot glass as a pointer and she kept laughing, she doesn't believe in ghosts and stuff. That was a freaky story though.
midnightdreams (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-25)
it scares me, when I hear stories about this. I did this game once, in my bathroom, in the dark. I said her name 3 times, but all I saw was 2 red eyes (orbs,maybe) just sit there, then dissapear.

Some people say that, when you see her in the mirror, its atually you, and your seeing your death, but I don't know. ๐Ÿ˜จ
VanLe (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
My friend wants to do this. She has done it before, and now wants to do it again on the February Friday the 13th in school. Can anyone help me talk her out of it? It seems very dangerous.
Vintage (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-03)
Oh and Mary is known as HenryVIII's Daughter that he beheaded. But I don't know if that is whatever is summoned. I personally think that whatever is summoned is one of her phantom babies' lost souls.
Vintage (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-03)
When I was little, maybe 7,8, or 9, my friend and I wanted to try that game.

In the middle of the process of that "game", her older brother caught us doing it.

So he told us that one of his friends did what we were doing. But instead of a woman appearing the mirror, a man with eyes that were black (where it should be white) appeared. And his friend was too scared to run away, so the man strangled him and ripped off that friends head. And his mom and dad found his head, disconnected from his body, next to the mirror the next day.

Me and my friend didn't ever want to play it again because of that story. I'm glad he told us that story (whether or not he made it up) because I would have hated to see anything like what you saw.

This is a Great lesson Learned. Thanks DA! ๐Ÿ˜
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
mary--thank you for your comment! I think Rook may have figured out the way it works. He brought up a really great point (as well as AshleyHalliwell) that it may just be a spirit who responds to what your fears or your idea of "Bloody Mary" is. Negative spirits seem to draw energy from fear and negative emotion in humans, so that seems fitting. Thank you!

Blessings,
DA
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Whoa, that's one of the most detailed accounts of Bloody Mary that I've ever read about. It's defiantly a dangerous game to play. I don't know, I want to try it really bad, but I certainly don't want the result you got. I read a legend about it were if you stare her down she'll give you something that you really want or need, like a wish or a look into the future or something.

Also about your experience I think I know why she looked like that. She looked like a shark and like death because those are your greatest fears. Have you ever watched the third movie of Harry Potter with the boggart? If so then you should understand what I'm trying to say. If not then I'll explain. I think that Bloody Mary makes you see what you fear the most at that moment and since you didn't fear her she transformed into what you feared.

I think that theory also accounts for why certain people don't see Bloody Mary. Kids with lots of courage, reckless courage, would fear not seeing her because then they wouldn't be able to impress their friends so that's why they don't see her. Sorry for the long comment! ๐Ÿ˜Š
maryzeppelinewinchester (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
hi!
Nice story! I came to know anout the legend after I saw an episode of a tv show called "Supernatural" (its great, and its based on REAl legends and myths, so that just makes it even more awesome!). The title was Bloody Mary, and in that,they've picked up a version of the legend where, if a person had killed someone, or was guilty of someone's death, And someone next to them, or they themselves said "Bloody Mary" 3 times (one version said to chant it 13 times) the person's reflection started bleeding blood from their eyes, their own reflection starts talking back to them and makes the person feel guilty until they finally die. You really have to watch that episode to understand it, if I explained in super detail, it would take up more than one page,heh.all I know is that I've only seen that episode once, and it freaked me out so bad, I couldn't sleep for 3 nights! And I also kept salt with me:D
But I have read many versions of this particular legend, and none of them mention (from what I remember) anything about running taps or anything else. Also another question, how can water be the gateway to hell, when the most common interpretation of hell is some place filled with fire? Just curious. I played it once all by myself, but I played around evening time, when there was still some light outside, and all I did was stand there and say it 3 times.
Nothing happened.
Maybe because I dint exactly do what I was suppose to do (open taps, be in complete darkness, light candles,etc.,). Another interesting fact is that I've read a lot of versions of this particular legend, and almost all of them mention that should a person see her, they will choke,die,choke and die, or that she will turn the victim inside out (gross, I know), or make them go insane,etc. Only ONE version is there that I've read that says if you manage to stare her down, she will give you an insight, a look into your future.
Sorry for such a long comment, I just love to write about this, even though this legend Freaks me out!
Anyways,tc!
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Devious Angel,

You may want to read a story on YGS called
BLOODY MARY BY Nikki if you haven't already.
It's got the mirrors in it.

You can also find info on the origin of the legend at a couple of sites; the "repetitive symbols" block prevented my typing them here but if you like I can get them to you by email later today. My email's on my profile page.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
DA,

Yeah I did, and it fits the facts up to the point that the two of them were 'dry' after feeling the rain falling... That's the part that has me going...Hummmm. That and I wonder what Mon was upset about.

Sorry shouldn't hijack your thread here... If I figure out something I'll post it there, where it belongs.

Respectfully,

Rook
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Rook,

Did you see my reply on there? I'm not sure if that quite explains it, but it's an interesting possible-explanation anyway.

Warmest blessings,

DA

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: