You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Dream Or Not?

Real Ghost Stories

Dream Or Not?

 

I would like to make my position on ghosts and spirits clear before I tell my story. I have never believed that ghosts or spirits can exist in physical form. I don't believe in the ghostly joggers on the side of the freeway at night, or the evil spirit that lives in your attic that makes sounds, or the poltergeist that throws kitchen utensils all over the place and makes a mess of your house. Before I had the experience I am about to share with you, I did not believe in "Ghosts" at all. My views have changed.

I do believe in the Holy Spirit and the teachings of Christianity however. I do believe that we each have a soul, and that when we die that soul goes on to another realm. I would hate to think that Death is the end of it all.

I have had many dreams in my life, but only two of them seemed different than all the others. Both of these dreams I believe would classify as waking dreams. The second of these I'm not totally sure was a dream at all. First I would like to talk about the first one.

I believe a waking dream to be a dream that happens when you are somewhat conscious. These dreams involve seeing your surroundings with partially open eyes and a partially "awake" mind, sometimes referred to as dream paralysis. You cannot move or respond to these surroundings in any way, but you are aware of them. Almost always there is something about these dreams, as with all dreams that is not consistent with reality-something strange that makes the dream a dream and not a true perception. This waking dream I have no doubt was in fact just a dream.

I was asleep in my bed at my grandparents' house laying on my back facing the double closet that my grandfather used to store his Church clothes. The dream started when I became aware that my grandfather had just walked in to get his clothes out of the closet. My surroundings were as they really were. Then my grandfather took his Sunday coat out of the closet and tossed it on my bed at my feet. This is where the dream took a nightmarish turn. When my grandfather turned away from the closet he did not have his coat in his hand, he had an axe. My mind did not see him simply toss his coat on the bed. Instead my mind saw him swing the axe at my legs. I tried to sit up and move out of the way and scream, but my body would not respond. As soon as the axe came down I awoke.

This was a classic waking dream. I saw my surroundings as they were in real life, but something happened in those surroundings to give my mind something to work with to create the dream. However in the second waking dream, there was no stimulus.

My mom died four years before I saw her in the second dream. At least I think and hope it was just a dream. Again in this dream my surroundings were exactly as they were in real life. When I go to sleep each night I always shut my bedroom door. There is a street light that shines in my window that slightly lights up my room. This is why I could see my surroundings. The dream started when I heard someone crack open the door and call my name. My eyes were still closed and I opened them briefly and closed them again. I thought I was waking from a dream. Then I heard my name again. Now I was fully awake, or at least thought I was, and turned over to see who was at the door. I couldn't really see who it was but in that moment I realized it was my mom's voice. I froze. She said my name once more and opened the door. She stood there in a white night gown looking at me and did not say anything else. Then she suddenly turned, let out a blood curdling scream, ran through the room, and disappeared through the wall.

I started screaming at the top of my lungs, waking my wife who sat up asking me what was wrong. This time I was able to react in the dream. I was not paralyzed, and I did not recognize the transition from dream to reality. I am still not sure what this means. I can't even be sure that this was in fact a dream. Logic tells me that it must have been, but it was so unlike any other dream I have ever had because I can't remember transitioning or waking from it. I was sitting up when she disappeared through the wall, and I was screaming.

My wife woke up while I was still screaming, a moment after she vanished. There was no transition. The door to my room was open and everything that happened from the moment I first thought I heard my name to me being held by my wife and then telling her what happened was smooth, real. The goosebumps, the tears, the feeling of overwhelming fright was too real.

This is the only experience I have had that even comes close to being paranormal. I don't know if this kind of "contact" is normal or usual. I would like some kind of feed back. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing before? Has anyone ever heard of dead family members making contact like this? Has anyone ever heard of dreams transitioning to reality in this way? Seamlessly?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, adrianbrice, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Andrian, that wasn't your mother. It was an evil being trying to create fear in you to make itself stronger but just in case light a candle and pray for your mom to be happy and at peace. If it happens again pray for it to leave you alone in the name of God, hope this small advice helps, Katherine. You were not dreaming.
carolinesaloser (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
This reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I do not consider it paranormal but more that my mind was playing tricks on me. I was lying in my bed, not yet asleep and just thinking. My room was pitch black and there is no way I could have actually seen what I saw, but I saw a whole group of huge spiders above my bed. Without even thinking I got up, screamed and ran to my door. When I realized what had happened, and that there were no spiders I went back to bed, but it is very weird that this happened. I reacted without thinking, I was breathing heavily and at the moment I was so sure of what I had saw even though it wasn't real. And I too do not remember any distinction from dream and reality
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
In my opinion, those dreams you're referring to are actual astral projecting, where you can see our world and the astral plane where ghosts are at the same time. (see my Passenger ghost for sort of same story)
Maybe they where demons that tried to terrify you by taking form of someone close to you, or maybe you took a decision that your mother and grandpa wouldn't have aproved, and they tried to tell you by looking angry in a dream.

Xxxx
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
Have had weird things happen with dreams when stressed. The subconscious is a very strange. It records all we see and hear throughout a lifetime. It can also feed back to us what we feed it. Sorry but I think all of this was just dreaming. Vivid dreams but dreams none the less.
dmv99 (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
look, I have had those kind of dreams to, but with my dead uncle... All I can say is maybe you and your mom where close and she just wants to say hello. The first one. I have no clue sorry. I've had some ghost expirence. If you ever need help with some ghost explaination, just talk to me.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
Andrian hi and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

From what you're describing I can't say your encounters, no matter how terrifying or real they seemed, were anything but bad dreams-nightmares. Sometimes when we go through stressful periods in our lives and not always consciously, our fears and anxieties manifest in our dreams. What we see is an extension of what we fear-it's an extension of our emotional state at that time. Also waking up from such dreams requires a long procedure before our brain is fully awake. What we perceive as reality at the time of waking is nothing but a confusing blend between our nightmarish images and our weak grasp on the physical world that is still distorted. I very much doubt that your mom would choose to terrify you in order to send you a message-any kind of message. I think what you need to do is sort out your feelings and acknowledge your fears before you attempt to deal with them.

Take care.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
I agree with ElectricTNT. I don't think that it was your mother, and I don't think you were dreaming. People wake up from dreams, and if you had woken up, your bedroom door would have been shut, just like you left it. And your mother would not have done that to you. She would not have scared you like that. I think it is a ghost or demon trying to mess with your head, but in reality, your mother is most likely okay and happy. And so I pray that you can find comfort in God after experiencing such a horrible thing.
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
I don't think you were dreaming the second time. I'm guessing your mother came back to you to tell you something, although her reaction didn't seem very pleasant...
littlechick (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
I know dreams are made up of our fears and phobias too. I have had choking and drowning dreams at bad times in my life like during my divorce and after dad's death and it had nothing to do with the way he passed or anything. Did your mom and grandpa have a good relationship or were these 2 dreams related to the other somehow?
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hello Adrian. Just a thought, but I don't believe that when family members visit after they are gone to be this frightful. They are usually pleasant occurrences. Thanks for your story. 😊
loopy666 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
hey adrian. I know that family members - particularly parents and grandparents - do come back in dreams to visit their family but I have never heard of something like that. It sounds disturbing but she must be happy or it would not have been four years before she returned. When people are truely at peace they only visit when the living person is ready. If she was unhappy as some may think for the nature of your dream then she wouldn't have passed on and would have stayed with you until she was ready to go. About your other dream. I have never heard of anything like that. Being visited by the dead is normal by paranormal standards but by the living and with the dream taking such a dramatic turn. Maybe its a warning. Not necasserily against your grandfather but maybe against somebody who you will come to know as a grandfatherly type of figure. I hope your dreams stop soon as it must be very disturbing for you. Hope I might have helped.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
I did not try to conclude my last post with "God", I was trying to say God Bless. That sort of looked like God was answering your story. Sorry
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi Adrian:

I am going to go at this from a religious point of view. I believe that it is possible for demonic entities to take on the appearance of humans. In the Bible, it tells us that we are to be careful on how we treat strangers as we may be dealing with angels unaware. If that is true, then it is possible that not only heavenly angels can appear as human, but also fallen angels can appear as human.

Look at what happened. Fear for the moment was struck in you and it caused you an unquestionable amount of worry seeing what you believed was your mother in great distress.

I don't for a minute think it was your mother. Demons goals are not only to strike fear into mankind, but to get you to question the Bible and try too break your bond with God. What better way than to have you believe that you saw your mother in great fear and that God was not protecting her.

This is just an opinion but I believe that it may be what you experienced. God
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi Adrian,
I have had three similar experiences and they were all too bizarre. I don't know what they mean. I, too, am a devoted Christian, so I feel I know the difference between good and evil. My dreams left me feeling afraid for my life. I shook for days and I couldn't be alone after the first one. I'm a hypnotherapist and am very familiar with our three dream states and I guarantee you that your two dreams had nothing to do with your sleep state. You may have had unresolved issues to vent, but the part I can't guarantee is that they were simply dreams. They were more than that but I don't know what. I know its not much help, but I definitely sympathize. My husband eventually had a shared experience which told me my "dreams" were real. Good luck figuring out what it means... And I hope your bad dreams stop!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: