You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Son's Story - House

Real Ghost Stories

My Son's Story - House

 

In the fall of 2001, my three children and myself moved into a recently finished basement apartment. When I had gone to view it, I wanted it right away, simply because it's location: around the corner from the school my two oldest kids attended, a few blocks from the college I was attending and the on-site daycare my youngest son attended.

The apartment had three bedrooms, a split living/dining room, kitchen and bathroom. All the bedrooms and bathroom were off the living/dining area. My daughter Mary, who was seven, had her own room, while my two sons Ty, who was five and Adam, who was three, shared one. My bedroom was beside the bathroom at the far end of the living room, while the kids' rooms were at the opposite end, with the kitchen between their rooms. Anyway, we moved in a few days before Halloween and loved the place. It wasn't until about three months later when things began to happen.

One day, the kids and I went shopping at this huge mall the next city over from ours. We spent the whole day out, and got home just before dinner. When we got home, we were all exhausted. Adam was totally pooped and fussy. He wanted a snack, but I said that dinner would be shortly and to go and play until then. He refused, and began to whine and cry. I pretended I didn't hear him and put some groceries away, while he stood just outside the kitchen, at the table, and screamed. I walked back to him, pulled out a chair and sat down so I could be level with him, when he burst out laughing. His face was red, tears were all over his face, but he was laughing and pointing. I turned to look at what he was laughing at, and a cupboard in the kitchen was swinging open and shut, open and shut, open then slowly shut with a quiet tap. He stared for a minute, then turned and went into his room, as if asked to. I still to this day cannot believe I saw that with my own eyes. After that, it seemed as if all hell broke loose.

A few days after that, I began to wake in the middle of the night to what sounded like someone shaking the shower curtain. The bathroom was right outside my door, but I hadn't seen anyone go in. When I got up to check, I found the shower curtain on the ground in front of the tub. I put it back up and went back to bed. This happened EVERY night for the next couple of nights, and only at night. I thought that maybe seeing as everything was new in the house that the shower rod didn't have enough spring in it to keep it up, I went out and bought a new one.

This bathroom, when you walked into it, had the tub along the right side, the sink and counters along the left, with the toilet tucked into a cubby-type space at the head of the tub for privacy. I put up the new shower rod and thought I had fixed it. That night I went to bed and again was awakened. This time, I was so scared I didn't want to get up. When I did, I found the shower rod, with curtain, standing on one end behind the toilet. I returned to my room, closed the door and sat with the lights on until morning.

During the day, when my kids were at school, I would sometimes go home to do school work as I found the college too noisy. I would be typing away, with earphones on, and suddenly I would get so scared I would throw my laptop onto the couch and run outside like an idiot. There, I would stand at the side of the house, sometimes for over an hour.

Just as I was beginning to think I was losing my mind, something happened with my son Adam, and this is my reason for thinking that whatever this was attached to him and followed us to two other houses after this house.

I awoke one night at 2 a.m. I could hear Adam talking. Our bedrooms shared a wall, so I could hear him talking and figured that he and Ty were up playing. I snuck to their door and pushed it open. Ty was sound asleep on the top bunk, dead to the world. Adam sat on his bed, a pile of dinosaurs in his lap and another at the end of the bed. He looked angry, and when I asked him what was wrong he said, "Mom, I don't want to play with dinosaurs anymore. Can you tell the boy no more? And can you tell his mom to stop staring at me? She never smiles." He was pointing behind me at this corner but there was nothing there. I asked him what boy, and he said the boy he can't pronounce his name, cause it's a weird name. Scared half to death, I said out loud, "No more dinosaurs!" and pretty much ran from the room. I was so scared that night that I cried from fear.

The next day I decided to ask Adam more questions. He told me that the boy and his mom came into his room, and that the boy never had toys and that was why he liked his stuff so much. He said that he didn't like the boy's mom, cause she just stared at him and never spoke, just stared. He said that a long time ago their house got burned, and that the boy and his family were scared of the wolves that came near their house. Adam was a couple of months over three years at this time. The things he was saying blew my mind. He said that the boy bugged him to play all the time, and bugged him to always put on a specific Disney movie about dinosaurs. He said that the boy woke him up all the time to play, but he didn't always get up to play. A few weeks later, we moved when a classmate of mine was looking for someone to share her house with. I thought that would be the end of it. Well, I did for the first few weeks.

There was another time, when a good friend of mine was visiting from out of town. We stood in the kitchen while I cooked dinner, and I decided to tell her what had been happening. The kitchen was tiny, and with me at the stove she stood right behind me but to the right a bit, leaning on the counter. I didn't look at her while I spoke, but stirred dinner. She told me that she believed me and understood having had an experience herself as a child. When we turned to leave the kitchen, two cupboards stood open, as if blocking us into the kitchen. Sure, I was scared, but did my friend ever go pale. The weekend visit was cut short, and she left that night.

A friend of mine from college who came to visit one night mentioned that the garage and the cold cellar creeped him out. I found that interesting as I hadn't mentioned anything to him about the apartment. This same friend, while spending the weekend at my house to care for our cat while we vacationed, told me that the one night, while asleep in my bed, he had awakened feeling scared. In the darkness of the room, he said it felt as though something was hovering right above him, but he was so scared he didn't dare open his eyes and look. He also suggested I mention the light in the cold room, which he said flicked on several times, to the owner of the house, but I didn't. Our house also came down with a bad infestation of mice, even though I had a cat who loved to hunt.

The next story will be about the second and third houses this thing followed my son to, with the fourth house story to follow, where we live in presently and have for four years. The house we live in now is a story in itself.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, redsun31, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

IveySage (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Amazing story can't wait to hear about your other encounters. I can imagine how disturbing it is to realize your son is talking to a ghost rather than creating imaginary friends or playing with his siblings.
I hope you can shake your home and your family from these inhabitants for safetys sake. Best of luck. 😊
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Awesome story, I found it quite compelling. It must be terribly frightening to face this situation.

However, I must ask: Is it possible that your children or you, for that matter, are experiencing this because of stress? Moving in to a new home can be a very difficult time for young children, and being a single parent of three kids must also be quite a task.
Lupeux (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Thanks for posting Redsun!=) Your story gave me the chills, but I loved it and it was brave of you to share this with the rest of the world 😁. One day I was watching this show about a woman & her family who moved from house to house thinking maybe the ghost folowing them would leave them in peace--- forever. Unfortunately, for her & her family it wasn't going to happen, at least not for a while. Well, it turned out that the ghost following them thought the lady's family were the light. Why? They were a positive family, always happy && nothing negative. So, personally I think that the little boy and the mom following your family think your the light. Be wise on your further decisions, the best of wishes to you & your family! 😁
With love, Lupeux
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
Thank you Redsun, for the interesting story, no one can blame you for being scared. However that little boy's mom not even smiling or anything, could she be the reason that little boy wasn't happy? 😕 I'll be watching for more stories from you and thanks for sharing. 😊
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
I think they need to cross over and go home. Have you tried telling them to go to the light, or tried telling them to go home? Whomever they are, so far, they don't sound threatening.
Looking forward to reading more from you! 😊
Sabrina (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
As people have already stated, great story but also very frightening. It sounds like your son is sensitive & that's why he can see the boy & his mother. I wish you & your family the best & hope that no harm comes to you. Thanks for the posting.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, redsun31. I can't wait for the next installment.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Wow, you sure have bad luck all right! Having a ghost follow you to each house you go to live in is really frustrating! You try to run away from it but that thing itself is following you!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story with us redsun! I really enjoyed reading it! Sometimes, there are ghost which follow you around or stick to you like you are their only life and person they have! Really good story and very well written! I'm looking forward to your other stories!

Biemaster
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Hi there,
Wow... Thank you for your post and I look forward to your next one! I just have one question:
Do your other children see or feel these apparitions too or do they just show themselves to your son?
I have to say, the cupboards opening and closing themselves would have freaked me out no end.
Take care!
xxxx
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
That was one of the best stories I've read so far although I understand that couldn't have been fun for you to experience.

At the beginning I thought it was a good old poltergeist case until the moment you mentioned the boy and his mother which rings 'intelligent haunting'.

I'm looking forward to reading your next submission to learn who or what has been haunting you so I'll avoid jumping to conclusions for the time being.

Thank you for sharing redsun31.
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Chilling! Great story. Every hair on my arms stood up when I read this. I hope you get the help you need. My son is the same age that Adam was at the time this happened to you, so I really found this account frightening.
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Hi Redsun31, Thank you for sharing your story. You must of been terrified! I can't wait to read more of your stories.

Take care ❤
Draycon (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Well... That's not good isit, I can understand why you were moving about so much I am tempted to myelf even if I am yet to see what my flat mate sees (I know he does but he never mentions it)

I hope everything has been sorted out so you guys can settle down

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: