You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Soul Surfing

Real Ghost Stories

Soul Surfing

 

This story isn't about ghosts or spirits really, but I'm pretty sure it counts as something of the paranormal. This story was told to me by my father. He has told me it numerous times and I have no doubt that it is true.

My father awoke sometime on a Saturday morning in his own house in Hessle, Hull, in the UK. I think it was sometime in the early 80's when he was around 18. He looked at the clock and it read something like 9:50 am. He tells me he then fell back to sleep and suddenly he was looking down on himself in his own bed, sleeping. He says he flew downstairs looked in the living room at the clock which read 9:53 or something. He went into the kitchen seeing his dad making a cup of tea with a newspaper in the side. He says in a split second he thought, "Oh no, he'll see me, run!" And just like that, he was back in his bed. He said he woke up with a start and looked at his clock which read 9:54. He was a little weirded out, so he went downstairs to tell his dad. Guess what, he was sat at the kitchen table with his cup of tea and newspaper. Spooky.

The funny thing is, I am now experiencing things like this and it's quite good. What I believe it to be is an out-of-body experience. I do not believe it to be dreams because it feels all too real to be one. I don't know how this is happening. If anyone else is going through or has gone through things like this, I would love to hear from you.

Other hauntings by laus

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, laus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shaz101 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-07)
It sounds to me as if you have the gift of consious-astral-projection.
Nuture this gift... Be proud and glad you have it...
Cellno11 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-08)
Hey Laus,
What your dad had was an astral projection experience. I'm reading a book on it, by John Mangus, (I recommend reading it) that helps you to project at will. Astral Projecting is a fun time and is capable by any human. You should defiantly explore the subject.
Good luck with it!
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
Thanks for all the advice and links whitebuffalo. Very interesting facts, stay safe.:-) Laus x ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-27)
Hi again, laus.
About one in ten people has an out-of-body experience at some time in their lives. In some cases the phenomenon appears to occur spontaneously; in others it is associated with a physical or mental trauma, use of psychedelic drugs, dissociative drugs, or a dream-like state.
Thomas Edison used the Mind awake, body asleep technique to tackle problems while working on his inventions. He used a coin that he placed on his head, and when he "nodded" off, the coin would fall causing him to regain PARTIAL wakefulness. Sylvan Muldoon (author of The Projection of the Astral Body) held an arm out straight and used IT as the falling object.
Http://www.web-us.com/oobe/oobe.htm#Is%20astral%20projection%20an%20adequate%20explanation? Can answer a lot of questions for you. It explains the differences between astral projection, out of body experiences, and gives MANY examples.
What is interesting is that EVERYONE can astral travel. You do not have to be in "your right mind", you COULD be steadfast in the throws of dementia. You COULD be clinically insane. You DO NOT have to have all of your faculties. Another interesting things is that if you should happen to be missing a limb, occasionally, when you see yourself when traveling, you will see that you have ALL your parts, as you are traveling in SPIRIT form.
Thank you.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-27)
OBE is a beautiful capability of the human mind.
Never experienced it but have read about it over the years.

Since OBE involves the use of body organs we all have, the experience is probably accessible to anyone with a healthy brain who's willing to learn how to reach that mode of consciousness.
But many people simply are'nt interested in it or don't want to do the work to learn it. Others seem naturally inclined towards it.

All told, it seems that the various forms of astral travel are essentially "normal", but are considered paranormal for the above and other reasons.
laus (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I think I do it automatically yes, I don't try and do it. Thanks for the link, its a great story, I might start trying more, I don't experience it that often and I haven't yet determined what triggers it or even if anything does. I travel in the physical plane as for as I'm aware and think.
Thanks for all your thoughts, I'd love to hear more, Laus ❤x
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
This account sounds like an Out Of Body experience. It is a form of Astral Projection, save for the fact that it is not a conscious act to travel in the absence of ones body. Most generally, a person who has an OOB, is undetected by other humans.
Another possibility could be Etheric Projection. It is often reported by persons who have experienced this phenomena that they find themselves next to their physical bodies or floating above them. THIS, however; takes a conscious effort, and it would be difficult to find out (this long after the deed) what exactly your father was thinking of before this happened.
In YOUR case, do you travel in the Spiritual realm, or on the physical plane?
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Some people can do it automatically. They may not even be aware that they can do it. They think they are dreaming but they are not. You have proof that you were not dreaming by the clock and your dad in the kitchen. You had an obe. Why? I have no idea but your essence separated from your body. If it had not been for the clock and the thing with your dad I would have maybe said a waking dream but with those proven points I think you had an honest to goodness obe.
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Oh, also, lucid dreaming, while a good way to practice accessing both your conscious and unconscious mind simultaneously, doesn't really have anything to do with being awake. You're definitely sleeping, you've just grown wise to the fact that you're dreaming, so instead of following the pre-set path the dream would take you on, you basically take over control, and can enforce your will over the world - ie: You decide that you don't want to be at this location anymore. You decide where you'd rather be, and your mind takes you there. You can basically do anything you can imagine.

Takes some of the wonder away from dreaming, but can make for rather fun experiences.

I myself have only ever had lucid dreams a couple of times, but my lady practices it regularly (yes, there are methods of making yourself more likely to go lucid in a dream)
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Yeah, OOB is a pretty interesting practice.

Funny how they can test for it by having someone project from in a soundproofed room on one side of a building, hear a conversation people are having in another soundproofed room on the other end of the building, recall the conversation perfectly afterwards, and still not be convinced it's real.
Draycon (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
le gasp! I got something right, yay I'm glad you have such a wonderful gift Laus and I hope you can progress with this skill 😁
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
laus,

What you are describing is Astral projection. If you want to know more about it and how to better control it, here is a well written account of one man's experience.

Http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/Robert_Peterson_-_Out_of_Body_Experiences.pdf

This book also discusses lucid dreaming, which goes hand in hand with conscious astral projection.

Astral projection is a wonderful gift, be glad that you have it.

Hoochler
Draycon (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Ooooo why do I feel like saying Lucid dreaming which from what I know is dreaming while the mind is awake not asleep ooooor astral projection (May be spelling errors)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: