You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Our Neighbour's Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Our Neighbour's Ghost

 

I was thirteen years old and was walking home from my friends house as she lived across the road from me. It was winter and already quite dark around 9.30 pm. The curfew set by my parents was 9.30 pm, so I know the time must have been just before.

Due to having lost my front door key several times before, my dad had refused to have any more cut for me. I had to take the back door key so I could let myself in the house. This meant that I had to go through the side gate and walk down a passage at the side of our house to get to the back door.

My parents' house was detached and the next door neighbour's kitchen window looked onto part of our back garden and the back door. On many occasions I would see our elderly, next door neighbour Mrs. Brown, not her real name, stand by the kitchen window, washing her pots. Mrs. Brown lived with her son, Paul, in his forties, and she was a little grey haired old lady that kept to herself.

On this night, as I walked down the side of my house and got ready to enter through our back door, I saw Mrs. Brown visibly through her kitchen window, washing pots as usual. On this occasion, she looked slightly different. It was almost like her son had fitted new light bulbs for her in her kitchen, as she seemed to be extremely lit up, almost glowing. I remember most of our back garden was flooded by this light. I only thought about this for a second or two as I glanced back. Then forgetting about it, I let myself in. After a quick good night to my folks, who were watching TV in the living room, I went to bed.

As it had been a Friday, I slept in quite late on Saturday. When I went downstairs my folks were in the kitchen and both were deep in conversation. As I entered the room I heard them mention Mrs. Brown. As I sat down with a drink, they told me that she had passed away yesterday. I was quite shocked and a bit sad. I said to my folks that I felt shocked and mentioned how weird it felt, knowing that she had died when I only saw her washing her pots last night on my way in.

At my words, my mum and dad looked quite puzzled at each other, and then what they said next made cold all over in an instant.

They said that I couldn't have seen her on my way in as Paul had discovered her body upon his return from work around 5 pm. This information shocked me to the core. I had seen Mrs. Brown washing pots at 9.30 pm! Several hours AFTER she had died. This explained the brighter light. A week or two later in conversation with another neighbour, I found out that she had been found in her chair, which I already knew, holding a tea towel.

As most of us say on here, did I see her? Or did I think I saw her because I had seen her there many a night before. Who knows? Scary stuff though!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Yanda007, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yanda007 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Thanks to everyone who posted a comment. This experience did change my belief system for a while. Because it was such a long time ago I don't recall the image of her as clearly as I used to though. 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow what a scary experience. I believe that what you realy saw was the spirit of ms.Brown.Poor lady probably didn't know that she died. The way you asked the question (did I realy see her) tells me that you realy did see her. If you claimed right away that this was a ghost I would guess that someone was imaginig things. But sice you tried to"explain" in a rational way I'm p[ositive that you saw her. Thank again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'd love to know if her son actually found the pots all washed up.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
I think there's a great possibility that you did see her since her illuminated image made things so distinct for you to remember. Had it been your imagination, she wouldn't have stood out this one time. For that, I would have to suppose that Mrs Brown was either still unaware of what had happened to her or was simply tidying up one last time.

Thank you for an interesting story!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-12)
Sounds like Mrs. Brown was finishing something that she loved to do, before she passed over. If she was a nice lady, it probably did scare you at first when you first seen her, but you shouldn't be scared of her, knowing that she would always keep to her self. Thanks for sharing your story 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Yanda--Perhaps if you had seen Mrs. Brown out of the corner of your eye, I might be more skeptical, but that you saw her in unusually brillliant light mitigates the doubt. She may have felt she had her usual task to complete before she agreed to cross over. Did the experience change your belief system?
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Whoa! What an experience! Thanks for sharing your story Yanda!

Wow, Can't believe you actually saw the ghost of your neighbor who had actually died 5 hours ago! Very well written story and I look forward to more of yours!

Biemaster

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: