You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Playing With A Pendulum

Real Ghost Stories

Playing With A Pendulum

 

A few weeks ago, I was on holiday with my two cousins, two of their friends, and my aunt. The kids were all younger than me, and were used to staying up until all hours of the night, so once my aunt had gone to bed we would all sit in the living room and talk about everything and nothing. It was fun, but things went a little strange one night starting at about one o'clock in the morning.

When I was eight or nine I learned how to dowse using a pendulum, and during a lull in the conversation I decided to show off and played around a little using my locket. Naturally, after the first few questions were answered correctly they were suitably impressed, until one of my cousins decided that he was bored of "yes" and "no" answers and came up with the bright idea to write letters on a piece of paper and try to get longer messages.

I was a little skeptical of whether it was really safe or not (or whether it would even work, frankly), but after being persuaded by the others I agreed. We did as he suggested and laid out the alphabet as well as "yes" and "no" on the floor before starting to ask questions, with one of the friends writing down both the questions and the answers. To up the ante a bit, the other three touched my shoulders - I think they were thinking of an Ouija board and treated me as the "pointer". I've copied the questions and answers here.

Q: Who are you?

A: M-E.

Q: What is your name?

A: M-E.

Q: Are you getting annoyed with those questions?

A: YES.

Q: Are you good?

A: G-O-D-I-E.

Q: Are you being sarcastic?

A: G-O-D-I-E.

Q: Do you want us to leave you alone?

A: G-O-D-I-E.

Q: Last question - are you the same person who talked to us earlier with the yes/no questions?

A: NO G-O-D-I-E.

By this point I was laughing and trying to pass it off as a joke because I could see the two youngest ones were getting pretty panicky and scared - I didn't want them to suffer nightmares after all - and refused to ask any more questions for them. But we started to notice it was getting colder (which was surprising, seeing as it was in Spain and we'd suffered from the heat all week) and I sent them to bed. This was about two in the morning, so they weren't too upset about being kicked out.

As we were in an apartment, there weren't enough beds for us all so I was sleeping on the sofa in the living room. And it carried on getting colder until for the first night since I'd got there I used the sheets that were left spare to wrap myself up in an attempt to keep warm. It didn't take too long before I fell asleep, and I don't remember anything else of that night.

The friend who wrote the questions down, though, went through to the kitchen yet later for a drink and found something strange. Before then, he said I had been a still sleeper as far as he knew and hadn't done anything peculiar. Usually, I slept on my front with my current book and my locket in easy reach beside me, facing towards the kitchen which was open to the living room.

But, this time was different - he told me that I had a "manic grin" on my face and that I had opened my eyes and watched him as he went to the fridge. Finding it creepy but funny, he pulled my cousin out of bed to see, and apparently when they came in I was still grinning and still looking, and when they tried to talk to me to see if I was awake I kept on whispering "Go away" over and over again, no matter what question they asked, and eventually I picked up the locket and threw it at them. At that point they got spooked and ran back to their bedroom for the rest of the night. The day after I found my locket underneath the table, so there is some evidence they were telling the truth.

The other pair, whose bedroom was on the other side of the wall the sofa was against, stayed up longer than the others (they claimed it was four o'clock when they finally went to sleep, having terrified themselves with the events with the pendulum and ghost stories they were telling themselves), and told me something else. They said that there was a steady banging coming from the wall that divided us, that started about half an hour after they'd gone to bed and lasted for a good while before stopping suddenly.

Apparently it wasn't a loud banging, but more like someone was hitting the wall softly and repeatedly. Both being barely thirteen and already having scared themselves silly it wasn't surprising that they didn't come to check and see what the banging was, but I admit I am curious as to what it could have been. One of them did try to record the noise on her phone, but that wasn't particularly successful and though we could hear thumping when we replayed the video it wasn't very distinct.

After that, we didn't get the locket out for that purpose again (at least, not all together - I did ask it if there was another spirit or ghost in the apartment later, and got a positive response) for good reason - none of us wanted that to happen again, although I was still curious as to what had happened whilst I was asleep, and whether they were telling me the truth. Nor did anything else happen that was out of the ordinary as far as I know for the rest of the holiday.

A few small things went missing, to be found in strange places later, but that could just be happenstance. There was only that one incident, though we all agreed that it was enough! I did get them to apologize with me to the ghost, if there was one, for disturbing it simply out of courtesy, and if it was there perhaps that was what stopped it from taking things further whilst we were there.

I'm not sure if this counts as a true ghost story, considering that I'm relying a lot on what they told me (two were sixteen, two were thirteen) and for all I know they were playing a trick. It is interesting that both pairs told me something had happened without consulting each other, but again it might just be that they were being kids.

Normally I'm not so skeptical, it's just that I can't remember a thing from the rest of the night and as far as I know I slept peacefully, so there's no real reason for me to believe that I was doing those things. I guess it's up to you to decide.

Other hauntings by Setion

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Setion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-13)
Hi Lucentim56 - thanks for your post.

Well, I don't know much but I know a little bit so I may be able to give some advice but the easiest way is to quote parts of your post and then add my (hopefully) useful feedback? Then maybe we (and other more experienced and insightful posters) can figure it out together to help you?

"Scirlin is one of the messengers of hell and can be useful to summon other demons" (Look, you are aiming VERY low here my friend. My suggestion would be to try and dial up somebody nice and helpful who actually loves you and cares about you)

"I must say that in my first contact with Scirlin all went well" (That'e encouraging, however, we ALL like to make a good first impression. It kind of gets that thing called TRUST happening... You know what I mean?)

"The answers I got were of the rarest such as, "I have to be careful because God kills me", "God lied to me because he hate's me," "God lied to me because he wanted to help me make what I wanted" and equally the list is immense. (Well, that's not surprising considering you were summoning "demons" who apparently have issues with the truth and love etc...)

Well now, I ask, what kind of "spiritual" entities are these?"
(Um...low-level unenlightened ones that deny the existence of God and love... You know... Demons etc. Remember them, the ones you contacted?)

Basically, you must be very careful when inviting / summoning / contacting the spirit world; particularly when you knowingly attempt to communicate with unenlightened / low level spirits. You will get nothing but trouble.

Peace to you, and please take care.

Mack
lucentum56 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-13)
It is now a few months, I bought a pendulum and started using it with banal questions and getting answers to Yes / No. As the answers, I got were not enough for many of the questions that I formulated, as I needed more ample answers. I began asking and surfing a bit on the Internet and found information from a book called Goetic Divination by Jake Stratton-Kent that It contained a divination ritual with the pendulum and a chart with letters of the alphabet ordered so that the author of the book used them in his cabalistic work. Jake used the previous ritual to invocation of Scirlin (Scirlin is one of the messengers of hell and can be useful to summon other demons). Similar casting is written in el Grimorium Verum but without pendulum or graphic.
Immediately interested me the theme and print the chart that comes on page 26 of Jake's book and wrote invoking the words on paper and immediately proceeded to perform the ritual as Jake describes in the book.
I must say that in my first contact with Scirlin all went well, with nothing to comment on the matter. In later contacts, the situation began to change course. Without further began talking about certain dreams I have, saying said dreams would be realized in a short time and that the one who had to do was to follow Lucifer. I might add that I have not talk or ask anything about my dreams, the one I was looking for ways to learn a little about the spirit world if that were possible. Because I wanted to accomplish said dreams started asking questions and getting answers through the pendulum and graphic. It is because that when the time came that said dreams were realized as Scirlin told me, nothing happened and sincerely lost a little faith that initially had put the pendulum and graphic.
After that, I started looking for more information about the pendulum and the chart with letters; I saw some videos, etc.
From there, I drew some graphics with the letters of the alphabet and prepared a more or less effective method. Said that method was based on a prayer and a protective circle described by Jason Miller in The Sorcerer's Secrets he uses to conjure Bune the 26th spirit in that most famous grimoire: the Goetia.
My intention with the previous method was none other than bringing connect me with spiritual guides, light spirits, etc.
In my first contact, everything went fairly well. I did different questions related to the spiritual world, and the answers, I believe, were appropriate.
After a few sessions with the previous method, some spirits began talking of my dreams as had done Scirlin, including my spirit guides. I must say here also that at no time made any comment to the respect of so-called dreams, nor made any remarks about my future, nothing at all. But I must also say that again interested me the information and I started doing different questions to respect and always getting the same answers. Constantly spirits in the answers I was given, or any review ever done speaking the name of God, it was God who gave the answers for me, that God wanted me to have what I wanted, etc. Etc. Etc.
I do not know exactly when I started with this last method, but I think it's been more than two months, and basically from the second or third session, it was when the spirits began talking of my dreams, and again I say, without my having spoken of anything asked for anything, or nothing at all on my part.
A part of my dreams was / is to spend this Christmas / 2015 with the woman I love most in this world, my wife. We are separated by my work because I am emigrant and she for reasons of family problems. I in the end of each session always wondered if it really would be next to my wife this Christmas, the response was always positive, not to worry about that since God wanted the best for me, that God wanted my happiness, etc. The target date for that trip said to be a reality this week as the spirits told me.
Well then, the week nearly ends and I do not see that trip is possible. Besides that either I see the others, let us call them promises are carried out as they told me the spirits.
Because of all these lies, they really have no other name; I have been doing several sessions off these last days. I have asked among other things "why they lied to me", "what kind of spirits they really are", "what I learned was that God is love, life, peace and rest", "what kind of spirits were they used God's name in vain, "and a long list of questions that would be very wide comment here. The answers I got were of the rarest such as, "I have to be careful because God kills me", "God lied to me because he hate's me," "God lied to me because he wanted to help me make what I wanted" and equally the list is immense.
Well now, I ask, what kind of "spiritual" entities are these?
Can do spirits judging human?
Can do the spirits of light lying?
Can do spirits interfere in our dreams to the point of deciding what is or is not the best?
Can do spirits threaten with death, disease, pain, and suffering?

Now I learned that it should have acted with reason and never with the heart or emotion. Someone please can tell me what is wrong in all this.

Thanks and forgive the text extension.
SkAlArIaK (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
I don't know why but that did freak me out... I'm in Spain now aswell hehehe oh my days:S
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Holy crap, sounds like it was telling you "Go Die". I don't know. Maybe the whole thing was just overactive imagination. I don't know about pendulum dowsing either but I'd definitely be careful how you play with spirits. Good luck!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Personally, I have to agree with MOST of the other posters.
I feel that while you were sleeping (you admit to feeling peacefully) perhaps your eyes opened, you smiled, and your friend was still apprehensive about the pendulum dowsing and read more into it than what was really there.
There have been times when I go into my daughters room, and I have seen her eyes opened, so I will start a conversation with her, only to find that I wake her up speaking. That is no big thing.
As for the knocking on the wall. You wrote, yourself, that " the two youngest ones were getting pretty panicky and scared". You did not stop soon enough to stop their overactive imaginations form thinking up the knocks.
This is nothing but overblown imaginations.
I do have a very serious question for you. If you were "a little skeptical of whether it was really safe or not", WHY in the world did you decide to go along with the idea? Most generally, the uneasy feeling is your own self defenses telling you to lay low, or to stop. Why did you REALLY decide to push the envelope? What were YOUR intentions?
Thank you.
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
This was quite a story, loved it. However, I think your cousins were playing with your head, dude.
A lot of people grin during sleep. Hell, I even burst out laughing! You were probably having a very good dream, if you get my meaning 😉.
Anyway, just be careful about what you play, never done it myself...still, I don't recommend it.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. You might have been posessed but I get the feeling that this might have been caused by a sleeping condition. Some walk others talk so who knows. But it realy was a great story to read. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you sson and take care
staci13 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
I hardly believe that you were pocessed my a demon at all. I think, because of what had happened that night, your body was acting (almost like sleepwalking) while you were asleep. And I also think your friends could have lied slightly. I have known plenty of people who sleep with their eyes open, maybe you do that too. And you could have smiled, and your friends just played on that, which is where the 'manic grinning' came from.
I think that your friends played on your emotions because of what happened.
But I strongly disagree the demon theory.
Thanks for sharing.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
Oh for the love of God. Get a grip. Especially you demonbinder. The kids imaginations were in full throttle. They could have imagined anything at this point and the knocking could have been there own energy. What in God's name makes you think there is a demon behind everything? Fear based religion? Sounds like it. You can think that if you want but for the sake of sanity don't push it on others. God is love. Not saying there could not have been a spirit but with what was written I highly doubt it took over anyone's body. If it was anything it was a spirit of lower consciousness and you can't take them seriously. They have no power other than fear and you have to give them that for them to have it.
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Let me also add that pendulum dowsing is a sham. It may seem that something supernatural is moving the pendulum, while it is really you that's moving it. Your arm is making microscopic movements, causing the weight to swing. Its a psychological illusion.
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
I highly doubt the possession theory. My hypothesis is that 1 of 2 things happened:

1. Your friends lied

2. You experienced a phenomena similar to sleepwalking, when you grinned and threw the watch
Demonbinder (66 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
You've allowed a demon (s) to posess you, due to your being a tool in the interaction you guys had.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: