You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Cry Baby Bridge In Mississippi

Real Ghost Stories

Cry Baby Bridge In Mississippi

 

I know, the title makes it sound like this is made up, but this is a true story about a cry baby bridge in Dennis Mississippi. When I was 18 some friends and I were talking about this cry baby bridge. That if you went over it, you could hear a baby crying. My friends who were in their thirties and I being curious, we wanted to go check it out.

So the next day, me and my friends, their 5 year old and 2 year old, and another friend's kids a 8 year old and a 12 year decided to go. When we got to the bridge, you had to get out and climb up on it because they took the road out that went all the way to it. We all climbed up on it.

It had old rusty rails and the bridge was concrete, also had a sign hanging on it, but I can't remember what it said. Anyway back to the story. When we were up on the bridge, we all felt a chill run through us, and it was the middle of summer. We there for about an hour, and nothing was happening so we decided to leave.

As we were turning around to leave, my friend's 5 year old said he heard a baby crying. I went to the end of the bridge where my friend and her husband were, I asked them if Ethan (their little boy) ever heard the story about the bridge and they both said no. So I told them what Ethan had told me, and they asked him he told them the same thing he told me.

He told them that he heard a baby crying, and his dad told him, no he didn't, because there wasn't no baby around. Ethan started crying and said daddy I do hear a baby crying, and it is down there on that rock. He pointed to the rock and it is where it said the baby was supposed to have landed.

So, after he told us all of that we all got in the vehicle and left, and we never did go back there. What I still wonder about all this time could he have seen that baby down there on that rock? Could he have heard the baby crying? I know kids can hear and see things that we can't.

Ethan's mom and dad told me later that day, that they never even talked about the bridge around Ethan, his sister, or the other kids, and the first time Ethan had seen that bridge was that day we went.

It is said that, the woman who threw her baby over the rail, did it because she had the baby, and she wasn't married and it was against her family's beliefs, and the baby landed on the rock that Ethan had pointed to.

Ethan the next day to see if his story would change, that would give us any kind of sign that he was being funny or anything, and he told us the same exact thing that he told us the day before.

I know this didn't happen to me, but I was there and I heard Ethan, and I saw him point to the rock. I even asked Ethan myself, if he had ever heard the story about the bridge and he said no. So you can choose to believe this or not, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

Thanks for Reading

Vicki

Other hauntings by Brownie09

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brownie09, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kjmoore62 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-29)
My husband grew up in the Belmont/Dennis area, and at 68 years old, he said he has NEVER heard of the Cry baby bridge. Sounds like some cats on "the prowl" to us! 😕
erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Oh snap! I wonder why Ethan was the only one that heard the baby?
Puppet25 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
My parents used to tell me a similiar story when I was younger. There is supposed to be this old houe where a baby was left under the front porch or beside it and if you drive by of a night you can hear it crying.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-29)
Hi Brownie09. I have heard so many stories of 'Cry Baby Bridge', from many different sources and at so many different locations.I've heard perfectly logical explanations for the sounds that were heard and they've made total sense. But every urban legend has to get it's start somewhere, I don't think there can possibly be a concrete reason for every story. The thing about your story, and I've never heard anything like it before, is the fact that only the young Ethan heard the crying. Young children are more sensitive to supernatural events and spirits since they haven't generally been exposed to ideas or opinions about things like that. Since Ethan's parents claim they didn't discuss the story behind what was there, I think Ethan was picking up something with his own innocent senses. He certainly believed what his ears were telling him, he got very distressed. I liked your story and as much as it sounds like an urban legend, I feel it is a true story. Thanks for sharing such an interesting story.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-27)
Hi all, sorry I haven't been commenting much, I don't get on the internet that much anymore. I know when Ethan told us at first it freaked me out too, because I've always heard of cry baby bridges too, and when he told us what he heard and seen and pointed to the rock, I say I had to change my mind, about some of the stories that you hear about the bridges, because like Rhodes said legends have to start somewhere, but this is one legend that turned out to be true.
Thanks for ya'lls comments.
There is also a bridge in Indiana that is called the covered bridge, it is haunted, and I'll post a story about it when I get the chance. 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Hello back Brownie and thank you for a very creepy account, I really enjoyed it!

I think that some of the so called 'urban legends'have a little bit of truth in them since something very real must have spread the rumor in the first place. I suppose Cry Baby Bridge must be one of those that 'captured' the ugliness of a crime that still echoes in the air.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
Ahhh the cry baby bridge. It is a legend but legends do come from some truth. I thought that this could be explained. Maybe an animal or water or something but I don't think I can. Thanks again for this story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Wow, that's creepy! It must've been really scary for Ethan too. It sounds like there's some truth to this urban legend!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments, I have to say when Ethan told me that, it did sort of throw me off too, until he pointed to the rock, and heard the baby crying, and never heard the story. I can't remember exactly how to get to the bridge, but all I can remember is it was in Dennis Mississippi.
😊
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I totally agree that this story has truth in it. I would like to visit this place. Children do seem more tapped into the powers of seeing things that we can not so I would not be surpirsed if Ethan saw what he claimed he did. Great story!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it is as interesting a story of a cry baby bridge as I have read. I do agree that these stories must have some basis in fact, or where would the stories come from?

Thanks for taking the time to tell the story,
God Bless!
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Crybaby bridges are fascinating aren't they? They must be about the most prolific ghostly legend about today. I often wonder just how many unwed mothers have tossed their babies from bridges, although personally I'm always a fan of the more dramatic legends; tales of satanic cults tossing babies from railway bridges and the like, which sound like utter nonsense.

Still, the fact that Ethan had no prior knowledge of this bridge and yet heard, and perhaps even saw, the crying baby, suggests that maybe this one is true. After all, urban legends have to start somewhere.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: