You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Face And Light In The Hay Barn

Real Ghost Stories

A Face And Light In The Hay Barn

 

When I was about nine or ten years old, my family would go up to our friend's house on a farm. We would be there all day and wouldn't leave until 11 or 12 at night. A lot of the time, we four kids would play in the hay barn next to the house. We would be in there all day, just jumping and climbing on the hay bales.

The barn was built into a hill. The top part was the hay barn, and under the floor was the cow shelter for when the cows came in from the pasture. The only way into the barn was from the front doors and there was a window facing towards the house built at the very top of the barn. Even when the hay was stacked to it's fullest, it never reached any where near the window. There was no electricity in the top part of the barn so the only light we had to play by was the sunlight.

One night, we were playing outside in the back yard that faced the barn and our parents were in the house. For some reason, I looked up at the window in the barn and there was a head of a man with dark hair watching us kids play. I told the others to look at the window and they saw the head, too. All four of us just stared at the window for a couple minutes and then started talking to each other. When we looked back up at the window, the face was gone, but there was a glow in the barn like a candle or something was lit up.

We knew that there was no one in the barn because our parents were in the house. We also we knew no one would be able to look out that window because we were in the barn earlier that day, and there was not enough hay in the barn to even begin to stack it up to the window.

My friend, Linda, and her brother then told my brother and I about her uncle that hung himself in the barn when he was in his late twenties. They said he would go in the barn late at night and look at dirty magazines by candle light, and one morning he was found hanging by the rafter. He was depressed because his girlfriend had just broken up with him and took his own life.

We never saw the face again, but sometimes we would see the glow through the window.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, miskon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

princess03688 (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Family likes seeing their young ones play and enjoy themselves even if they are gone.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
My first instinct is that it was the uncle enjoying watching you all play. As such, he may have been drawn in as a way of trying to play with the kids. I know I've been inspired to goof around with relative's kids for a bit by watching them play.
dancingmist107 (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
wow that sound scary. If I was you I would scream and run. 😨 and what do you mean by dirty magazines. By the way I'm sorry for your friend
TammyMom (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
miskon, If, on the day her uncle committed suicide in that barn, the level of the hay was just high enough for his head to clear the window frame and see out, then more than likely that is what you saw. Some ghosts can be seen walking under or above floor or ground level. If the floor was raised or lowered after the person died, they may walk at the level that it was when they were alive. The concept would be the same in any situation, regardless of whether it is the ground outside, the flooring of a structure, or even bales of hay in a barn. He may or may not have been aware of your presence. He may have been looking out and seeing the view as it was on the day he contemplated, and then carried out, the act of taking his own life. He also could have been aware of what everyone was doing inside and outside of that old barn. The only way to speculate one way or the other would have been recording any EVP which had answers to specific questions which were asked.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
I hate to say it but I agree with Kimo on this one. But it was very interesting story to read. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
miskon (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. My friend never met her uncle, her dad was pretty young when this happened to him. As for the barn about 10 years ago they had a bad thunder storm, it got struck by lighting and burnt down. They rebuilt it, but I never saw the new barn. Linda moved out of her parents house at 18 to live with her boyfriend and we lost touch. The last time I talked to her was over 3 years ago at my dads funeral. Even my mom lost touch with Linda's parents, and they were best friends. We never felt scared going into the barn to play but we did have a lot of fun. I hope it was her uncle just checking up on his family but I really don't know if it was.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
nice story...it's scary though... Probably he is still hanging around with the candle light and reading magazines...tee-hee! 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, intersting bed time camp story.

God Bless!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Welcome to the site, miskon. Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed it.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Wow Miskon what a spooky story! Like Luca and Brownie said, I definetly think it could be your friends uncle! You should ask your friend whether she was close to her uncle? If so maybe you should try and communicate? But if 'it' doesn't seem happy maybe you should stop! 😕
But that's just my opioin 😊
Sorry I couldn't be of much help though!
Lily x
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Wow, Miskon, it's a very creepy story.
Could it have been your friend's uncle? Possibly.
Is there something weird going on in there? Definately!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hi miskon, thanks for sharing your story. As for the head you seen, it could have been your friend's uncle. I am glad that she was able to give you a little bit of information about the place. The glow that you seen might be from the glow of the candle, or something that was associated with him when he hung himself. That's just my opinion 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: