You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Reflection In The Window

Real Ghost Stories

The Reflection In The Window

 

Before I begin, I must say that this happened to my mom about six years ago, when I was a high school freshman back in Tijuana. In order for you guys to get a clear picture of things, I must oblige with a brief description: My high school is a four-story building located on downtown Tijuana. It used to be a monastery dedicated to San Francisco de Asis, it is also built right in front of a beautiful church. It's been a school since 1954.

Report cards were being presented to our parents in the monthly meeting with teachers from each subject, so it was really a big deal. Hundreds of parents would cram the top three stories, (the first story consisted of the entrance, the gym and cafeteria) and expect to receive A's from their kids. My mom and my older sister (who was a senior in that high school) were amongst them, I stayed home with my kid brother during this afternoon.

My mom arrived early, at 6:00 pm or so, but in Tijuana during winter, the sky usually darkens at this hour. She and my sister were climbing the stairs up to the third story where my homeroom was. The stairs leads up to a large corridor with very big windows, tall and wide. It was dark outside, so they could easily see their reflections as they walked.

At some point along the corridor, my mom walked ahead of my sister (but just a few steps according to her), when she noticed a thin shape reflected on the window to her left, a tall shape wearing apparently a brown overcoat with a hoodie. The shape stood still a few feet to her right on the next stairwell that led to the fourth floor, then bent forward slowly as if attempting to tie a shoe. My mom turned her gaze away from the window to look at the shape and found nothing. She thought it was probably my sister, because she appeared a second later just behind.

My mom was probably wearing a puzzled expression because my sister asked her what was going on. My mom told her what she had seen. It was then that my sister told her the story of the monk that supposedly haunted our school.

It is said that during the long years of living in ascetic conditions, a monk of the Franciscan Order hung himself in one of the rooms (now the music room) on the third floor. It was also rumoured that the monk roamed the third and fourth floors, exiting the music room and climbing the stairs up to the fourth, before entering a small narrow door between two classrooms. The old custodians denied there was such a thing, but they did affirm that loud clashing noises were often heard on the upper floors, similar to chairs crashing into each other.

Needless to say, my mom is positive about what she saw. She had no idea of the story behind the school, so there was no way she had been suggested into seeing shapes of any kind. As for me, I didn't see a thing during my high school years. However, being the curious person I am, wasted no time in exploring this fourth floor door.

Unfortunately, it was always kept locked: a narrow wooden door, painted off-white with a copper knob. It was when one of the custodians opened the door that I peeked inside as he pulled out a few cleaning supplies. A long narrow corridor with no windows or doors, it stretched along until it reached a small opening in the wall, as if someone had begun to tear it down but changed his mind after the first bludgeon.

Nothing interesting, right? Probably used as a supply closet. Then I remembered it was built a very long time ago, could it have served another purpose then? Whatever it was, it still remains a mystery to me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Luca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Szaffi (37 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Hola Luca,

Muchas grac
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Thank you very much for your comment, Mr.Burnz.

And yeah, everytime I climbed those stairs and passed by the music room, I had to look back to make sure no one was following me!

I'll comply with a story soon. ❤
Mr_Burnz (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-06)
Hey Luca,

1st off, thanks for commenting on my story 😉.

2nd Even though you weren't there to see this ghostly monk, I'm sure that you got that weird feeling when you went up those stairs where your mother seen it. I know I would have every time haha.

3rd I think you're right about the corridor. Maybe it was used to isolate the bad children or something? Who Knows?

Keep us updated with everything and new stories, and God Bless

Burnz
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Thank you for your comment WhiteBuffalo, it is very well-thought. Your wish is the same as mine.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
Is it not beautiful that our schools do not just hold the power of learning for those enrolled, but they seem to be a direct link to our past in so many other ways? Such as in this case of a dearly departed monk who felt there was simply no other choice for him, save for the completion of his life? I would say that it is HIGHLY probable for this monk to still wander the halls as his life was so rife with sadness and despair near the end. How sad that there was no one there that he could confide in, and get the help he so needed in bringing his emotional levels to an even keel. The life style of a monk is not for all personalities, and as you state that he had been living in "ascetic conditions", I would think that to mean that he were having difficulties with it, and with his "two worlds" warring with one another. In that you have chosen those words to describe the conditions in which he LIVED, I would think there to be a massive inner turmoil going on at the time.
Emotions trap us. They keep us in unhealthy relationships, they keep us in vocations that are not meant for us. AND they can bond us to the air in which we live, making us a residual inhabitant of a world quickly changing. I only pray that he is merely residual, and not intelligently wandering the halls.
Thank you.
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
Hi Tiger Lily! Isn't it odd that a lot of schools tend to have their own mysterious story? And yeah, I get your meaning about feeling creeped out with monks, maybe it's their hooded appearance, I dunno. The first thing I felt when my mom told me what she had seen was excitement, I've always loved ghost stories and having one come to life was amazing. Of course, the next day I felt a bit frightened at basketball practice; you see, we used to train at 5:00 pm in the courts, and the windows on the third floor are clearly visible from the outside, so I kept glancing up at them because I felt someone was watching me! The power of suggestion, indeed.

Hello Kecoughtan, thank you for pointing that out. And yes, now that you mention it, most of the classrooms are built around the outer perimeter of the building; though I can't be quite sure if they lived only on the third floor, I do believe this corridor was used for something else than storing supplies. I'll try to find out the date it was built.

Thank you for reading Chris B! ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-18)
Asis is one beautiful place. So are the Franciscan people. It is sad to hear that this good priest had to leave this world in an awfull way. Thanks for sharring this story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. But ims sure your mom didn't like it at that moment. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Luca, I think KimSouthO accidently posted comments for this story at "Sights, Sounds, and Touches?" KimSouthO makes a great point. Chances are this corridor was probably designed for a very functional purpose and was not considered a public space like the hall where your mother saw the monk's reflection. Is it possible--and please remember this is merely conjecture on my part--that the monks lived on the third floor? If the building was constructed without electricity, cells, work spaces, and reading rooms for the monks most likely occuppied the outside walls of the structure in order to be illuminated naturally. If it was restricted or non-public space, they would have preferred a dark hall to a dark room. Is it possible that the corridor you saw was some sort of utility access installed after the monastry was converted? Knowing the construction date of the hall would help. I have seen lots of long, windowless corridors in buildings, but usually it's in the cellar to provide access to heating systems or storage.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hello Luca, I was passing through some stories, but this one definetly caught my eye! My High School was supposed to be haunted by some students who were supposedly either murdered by a teacher in the school or killed themselves in the school. My Primary School was also suppost to be haunted as it was built on a graveyard!
Anyway I have always been afraid of monks! I don't know why but they tend to scare me...
Anyway I was wondering how did YOU feel when your mom told you what she saw? And did you ever find out anything more about 'the corridor'?
Thanks, Lily x ❤
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Thank you for your comment, Brownie! And yes, monks used to wear hooded robes, but I think they rarely covered their heads, except during prayer. I do believe that the building held more secrets, maybe I'll go back someday.

Hey Ladyanne, thanks for reading! My mom was quite surprised after being told the story, she claims she wasn't scared about seeing the shape, just confused. But she definately believes she caught a glimpse of the monk. She still talks about it! ❤
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Great story, Luca, well told. Thanks for sharing it. Just wondering, what was your mom's thoughts about it all, afterward?
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Hi thanks for sharing your story, I think it was the monk that your mother seen. I could be wrong, but didn't monks wear hooded robes? As for the wall looking like someone had been starting to tear it down, maybe there have been a lot more experiences such as that school being old, there could be more than one thing in that school. Sorry I couldn't be of much help but that is just my opinion. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: