You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Daddy's Home... To Stay?

Real Ghost Stories

Daddy's Home... To Stay?

 

I come from a 4th generation farming family in central Alberta, Canada. My father's pride and joy was his farm. He always joked "The only way I am leaving this house is feet first!" Little did I know that that statement would not come true!

In the last few months of his life, he had been hospitalized. As soon as the doctor told him that he would not be able to return to his home, he went downhill quickly and passed away in March 2008. This is where my story begins.

The day before he died, I received a phone call from my brother, telling me I had better come and visit him. I did, and after a day of visiting I decided that I would stay at the farm since it was close to the hospital and I was pretty sure that he did not have much time left.

In the early morning of his death, he told the nurse that he was visiting his farm. She gave him his medication, and he fell to sleep, only to pass away a couple of hours later. Shortly after 6:00AM, I awoke as my dogs were making the strangest noises.

I got up and let them out for about 10 minutes. After they had settled down, I went back to bed. I had just closed my eyes, when I sensed something strange (I smelled dad's cologne and cigarette smoke). I opened my eyes and turned my head, only to see my father looking into the room! He did not look directly at me, it was more of a checking the place out look.

He looked into the room, turned, and walked down the hall. I was stunned, but knew what had happened. The phone rang a few minutes later. It was my stepmother calling to say that Dad had passed away. The only thing that came out of my mouth was" I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT... HE WAS HERE!" Obviously this resulted in complete silence on the other end of the line.

This incident was only to be the beginning of the story. There was much activity during the week of planning the funeral, and quite a bit afterwards. I will submit these later this evening, as I need to get my wits together...

Other hauntings by paranormal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paranormal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

IDrawOnMyself (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
My mothers friend had a similar experience with her daughter. She fell asleep on the couch and had a strange dream about her daughter. She was standing in front of her smiling widely curled hair wearing the prettiest dress she had ever seen. Then she woke up to the phone ringing and it was someone telling her that her daughter just died in a car crash. She already knew she was dead when she saw her in her dream, but she wasn't sad because of how happy she looked.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father. That must have been extremely hard to deal with. There have been many people that say that they have witnessed a loved one coming back to the one place that they have had a connection to rigth after they pass away.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
I am very sorry for your loss. I bet your father loved his home. Maybe not just the building but the people who lived there, and all those great memories. It is nice to know that he popped by for a visit. He probably suffered a lot from his illness and wanted to let you know that he is ok. Thanks for sharring and I'm looking forward to read your other stories. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
What a touching story. I had a remarkably similar experience with my Grandfather, even down to the smell of cigarette smoke. It's funny how spirits will make themselves known to us by these little things.

I'm sorry for your loss, but hope that you took some consolation from the fact that he visited one last time.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-20)
Paranormal thanks for an intriguing story although I'm trully sorry for your loss. I was caught off guard when you mentioned your father's claim to the nurse. I assume that his first visit took place before he actually died. Astral projection, I guess?

I'll be anticipating your next submissions.
Thank you for sharing.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-19)
Hi paranormal, Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. I believe that your dad came to have one last look around, and let you know he loved ya'll. He might still be around you and your family just can't see him. Thanks for sharing your story with us and glad to hear that your dad is still around. 😊
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-19)
paranormal
Firstly sorry for your loss.
I remember when my grand-father died, he dies just after 12 midnight, but minutes before he passed away, somebody rang the front door bell on my grand father house, his brother house, and the 2 houses in India. I believe it was my grand father probably saying good bye or taking one last look. Who knows?
I look forward to reading your next submission.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: