You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Parent's Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

My Parent's Haunted House

 

I have been reading stories on this site for a couple of months now trying to put my own ghost stories in written form. I grew up with a ghost in my parent's house.

This took place in a little west Texas town of Wink. We lived in the same house my whole childhood. My parents owned the house for 32 years. The previous owner was a school teacher and she died in that house. Of course, we didn't find that out until several years later.

When I was little, my dad told me that I would carry on a conversation with the air. I would talk to nobody in particular, and would actually answer. My dad was a pilot and also the manager of the airport of the small town we lived in. He was also a member of a flying club, like a motorcycle club, they would often plan trips around the country.

My older brother was around 18, or 19 or so, and was in college. He would manage the work load at the airport, while my parents would go on these trips. My older sister, a year younger than my brother, would stay at home with him. I, of course, would travel with my parents as I was only 8 or 9. My brother had a separate room that was built off the garage. He would always sleep on the couch in the living room when he was on call for the airport so he could hear the phone. No cell phones back then!

Once when my parents were on one of their trips, my sister was in the den next to the living room and she heard someone snoring, loudly, in the living room. Naturally, she thought it was my brother. The phone rang; she thought my brother would get up and answer it. When he didn't answer, she got up peeked around the corner into the living room. No one was there! Of course this scared her and she went and stayed at the neighbor's until my brother got home. This happened several times with her until she refused to be in the house alone.

My mother had real bad asthma and she would always wheeze and cough. Everyone in our household would hear someone, which we thought was her, coughing from her bedroom. Come to find out, she wasn't even near that end of the house. This happened several times as well. We could also see shadows in her room, daily. My mother would always say: it's a figment of your imagination, you're seeing things, you're hearing things, etc, as any normal mother would.

We would always have things go missing, too. It freaked us out at first, but we got to where we would say, "Hey, I don't have time to play games, please put that back where I left it." Now, granted it may be a few days later, but usually we did find the missing item where we thought we left it.

My mother had an exercise bike in the living room. I was around 10, I came home from school. No one's car was home, as everyone in my family had their own car, beside me, I was 10. As soon as I walked in, I could hear the exercise bike running like someone was on it. I thought maybe my mom was there and her car was in the shop or something. I go into the living room and the bike is going crazy! The pedals are turning as fast as what I would think they could go. Being 10 years old, I screamed and I, too, went to the neighbor's until someone came home.

I have to add this: my parent's bedroom was right next to mine. They had one of those doorknobs like in hotel rooms, the old doorknobs with keys that would lock from the outside. You could open from the inside without unlocking the door. I was 17 and a senior in high school at the time. I was in my bedroom reading a book. All of sudden, I heard my parents' door shake so violently it sounded like someone was trying to break it down. My mother knocks on the wall and asks if I had just tried and come in there. I said, "NO". She said, "Well someone just tried to." No one was home but us three. My brother and sister had already married and moved out of the house. I was so scared, I had to make myself go to sleep so I wouldn't think about it.

My mother became very ill about three years ago and moved in with me. We have sold her house recently. I hope the old spirits are comfortable with the new owners.

I have other experiences in that house I will write about later, along with my daughter's experiences, too. I also have several other ghost stories that I will share also. Thank you for reading my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, texasgal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
That must have been a house of terror for an 8year old although the ghost in your house sounds like she was going about her own business probably even enjoying the comforts you provided. I was amused by the exercise bike going crazy although, had I been there to watch it, I would have been freaked out of my wits!
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
texasgal,

That is really freaky to see the excerise bike going crazy! I'm glad that you finally got out and that your mother finally got rid of the place. As long as no one was hurt that makes it better. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences please keep them coming.
texasgal (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
ChrisB:

Thank you for your comment. We think it was the school teacher. She was the only owner before my parents bought the house. She is the only one that died in the house. We never actually saw a full body apiration, but would see shadows, and mist from time to time. Thank you for the comments on my mother's health, unfortunately we lost her a year ago. But she is in a better place. 😊
texasgal (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
rstahley:

It was scary at times. We went to the house about a month after we sold it to pick up some things left behind. The new owner wouldn't even let us look in the house. She was very short and to the point, kind of rude I thought, so we have no clue as to what they have experienced. We left it alone. I think after my dad passed, his spirit returned to the house as well, that is a whole different story that I will post later. Thanks for the comments!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Wow what a great story you shared with us! I realy enjoyed reading it. I wonder if this spirit was the spirit of the teacher? The things that had happened in that home sure sounds like poltergeist activity to me. But who knows? I'm very sorry that your mother is sick and tha you had to sell the house. But memories still remain. I am looking forward to reading other accounts soon. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
texasgal,

I enjoyed reading your story. I do believe that your parent's house was haunted. That must have been very terrifying for you as a young child. It seems like the ghosts were playing tricks on you guys, making you think it was someone else in your house... Snoring like your brother, coughing like your mother, etc. I think the spirit or spirits wanted attention, and wanted to play games with you guys. It would be interesting to find out if the new owners have had any experiences.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-22)
wow maybe the ghost feel comfortable there use the bike and feeling lonley there...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: