You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our First House

Real Ghost Stories

Our First House

 

My husband and have been together for four years and we live in our of his mother's rentals, watching over the property. When we first moved in together, before we were married, we opted to live with another couple to help with rent.

Our house was about a hundred years old and it had three bedrooms, one of which had just been added within the past fifty years. The floors were sinking and the house itself needed a good all over cleaning. My female friend and I decided about five days before we moved in that we were going to stay the night and clean it, without our boyfriends there to distract us. That was the night that I realized that we were not going to be living in the house alone.

I was in the bathroom, trying to bleach the bathtub and the sinks while my friend was out in the kitchen, trying to get the cabinets cleaned. She came running into the bathroom. When I looked up at her, she was soaking wet with sweat and she was white as a ghost. I asked what was wrong, did she find a bug or something. She couldn't hardly talk to me. I got her to calm down and she finally told me that she heard something coming from the room that had been added on.

I shook it off and told her that it was probably the guys trying to scare us or the kids that walk up and down the street. I got her to calm down enough that she went back to the kitchen to continue cleaning. I was scrubbing the bathtub when I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye. I didn't even look up, I just thought it was my friend again. I said, "Quit worrying, nothing is going to happen. Go on and finish cleaning and when I get done with this, I will come out and help you." When I didn't hear a reply I looked up and noticed that there was no one in the bathroom.

I finished with the bathroom and walked to the kitchen. She was on the other side of the kitchen and wouldn't even turn around and face the door that led to the new bedroom. I told her to stop being scared. Even if there was something in the house, it wouldn't harm us. It would just try to scare us to get us to leave. For some reason, that was the only encounter we had that night. I figured if there was something, it would have showed itself more when it was just us. It wasn't until all of us moved that it really started to pick up and they started to make themselves more known.

Our shower was a single with a glass door. I took a shower one night and noticed that there was a male figure sitting on the side of the tub facing the shower looking in. I giggled because I thought it was my boyfriend, but when I opened the shower door, he was gone. That same night my friend asks me, after our boyfriends went to bed, if I noticed anything strange in the bathroom. I waited to hear what she had to say and it was the same thing that happened to me. Every night after that we always had a male companion in the bathroom, although he never spoke and he never made any attempt to communicate or harm us.

We started having my step-on on an every-other-weekend basis about a month and half after we moved. His room was to be the new bedroom. He refused to even go into the room; he wanted to sleep in the living on the sofa bed. I agreed to keep him happy, but I couldn't figure out why he didn't want to sleep in his own room. I decided the next night that we didn't have him, I would sleep in the room.

That Monday night, my boyfriend had to go out of town for work, so I decided that that would be the night that I would sleep in my step-son's room. It creeped me out a little, but I thought that it was just what my friend had said and my step-son not wanting to sleep in it. I thought my mind playing tricks on me. It was about an hour after I got to sleep that I felt a little hand on my hand, shaking me like trying to get to me to wake up. I sat up, but didn't notice any children in the room. I turned on my step-son's night light, because by this time I was freaked out. I laid down, trying to go back to sleep and was looking at the wall. On the wall, you could clearly see the shadow of a little girl with pigtails, dancing. You looked around the room and you couldn't see her anywhere, only on the wall as a shadow.

After that night, no one else in the house had witnessed anything except for the pervert in the bathroom and the occasional woman out of the corner of your eye. I, myself, kept seeing this little girl, but only in shadows. She never tried to talk but there would be nights that I had this feeling that I needed to go to my step-son's room and check on him, knowing that he wasn't there. When I would reach the door, his rocking horse would be moving and then just stop.

I never found out what had happened in the house and we moved shortly after that. When we left, the house itself felt peaceful. My husband thinks that maybe it was just my presence there that made the little girl feel happy or comforted.

I'm still not sure, but I would like to know what everyone else thinks it might have been. I'm hoping someone will help me and comment on what they might like. Thanks.

Other hauntings by autumnsmommy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, autumnsmommy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Nicolenightmare, thank you so much for showing interest in my story. It has been quite sometime since I have been on. I did noticed that she was wearing a dress but I didn't see anything in her hands or anything like that. Thank you again
NicholeNightmare (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
I'll tell you, the paragraph "After that night, no one else in the house had witnessed anything except for the pervert in the bathroom" made me laugh for a while. Buuut, that dancing little girl you saw in the shadow, could you see that she was wearing a dress or anything? Or carrying something in her hand? Maybe someone who used to live there had a little girl who died in a room that USED to be there that you guys don't know about? Well, this story was quite interesting. And yes, I know I'm a little late for commenting since all the other comments are from 2008. But I was creeping through the stories and found this one quite interesting.
God Bless! 😊
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-27)
autumnsmommy: I agree with rhodes68. Trust your eyes. I'm also wondering about the man in the bathroom while you were showering. He sounds like a pervert. I'm wondering if he has any connection to the death of the little girl, and the woman you saw. I do think that your husband is right. That little girl needed some comfort, and luckily, she found you.
Please keep us posted on any new findings.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Maybe knowing more about the history of that house would have been helpful but then again, that's not always the case. I have to say though that what you and your friend experienced and seen in there could not have been misintepreted. You saw the figure of the woman, you both saw the bathroom intruder, you saw the dancing shadow; just trust your eyes, and more specifically the instincts that most of you shared about the experiences. It was an old house with a lot of history and many vivid memories! It might have outlived whole generations but it still maintains their energies.

Thank you for another great story!
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
He is still somewhat a sceptic. He believes me when we are somewhere and I feel something around. He starts looking like a wild person to find out were it's at and if it's coming for him 😆. We are still trying to do some research on the house, but the town that we live is tight-lipped about things happening. We are trying to get ahold of old records but they aren't allowing us without going through this huge process. But I'm trying! I will keep you guys posted
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Hi Lindsay! You shared another great story with us. And I thank you for that. It realy was a great story. I believe that the place was visited by its older owners. Did you know the history about the house? Maybe something happened there. The place is very old and probably has a lot of history? The incidents that happened there sure sound very scary. To be honest with you I don't think I could live there! Did your husband every see anything or is he sceptic? But after living in a house like that he started believing 😆.I hope to hear from you soon and take care
MNPROPHET (6 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hello autumnsmommy, the only way to possibly figure this haunting out is to find out the history of the house & the land. Also the tenants that may have lived there. I do believe that they all died together though. I find it very creepy to hear about the man being in the bathroom when the women are showering, that by itself makes me wonder what this man was about when he was alive. I wish you all the best. Kim.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hi, nice story. Sounds like to me there could have been a father and daughter that lived there, or something and maybe is thinking that you could be his wife, and her mother, and that is why they came to you. Again I could be wrong. Whatever it was sounded like it didn't want to hurt ya'll, but just probably curious on who was in the house.
Thanks for sharing your story. 😊
livvy_poolekirkby (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hi autumnsmommy, I enjoyed your story. I think something very sad has happened to that little family, and your presence has made the adults pleased you are there because you have made the little girl happy again. I feel if it was anything evil the adults would have done more mischeif.
Keep us posted on what you find out.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
It is possible that the answer may not be in the house itself, but in the land or some furnishing in the house.

I would tend to agree with your husband. The little girl chose for you to be aware of her because you were a comfort for her.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us.

God Bless!
AussieGirl (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
I agree with Bellissima.

Have a look at the history of the place, then you might be able to link it to the things you saw.
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
I agree with Bellissima in that it seems almost as though you have a whole family unit there. I find the ways that they manifest fascinating, the fact that the woman is only ever seen out of the corner of your eye, the child in shadows, and the man only in the bathroom.

Keep us posted on anything that you discover, it would be interesting to find out their stories.
texasgal (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Autumnsmommy:

I enjoyed your story. That is sad about the little girl. I seen a little girl ghost once at a friend's house. Keep us posted as to what you find out about the history on the house.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Bellissima,

We have asked the older man that lives across the street from the house that had been there since the 60s. All he could tell me was that he noticed strange things in the windows but he didn't know for sure what he had seen or what they could be. We are going to try and do more investigating on the lands from town hall to see if they have any records. We live next door now, but they haven't come over so I think that maybe they are attached to the house. You can see the girl from the road in the windows. It still kind of freaks me out, but I still feel peaceful when I pass it.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Hi autumnsmommy. Have you ever tried digging into the history of the house or land? You could come up with a lot of answers that way. There was a man in the bathroom, a woman in the bathroom and around the house and the little girl in the bedroom. Maybe a family had died in the house, a fire maybe? Your story is really interesting, I enjoyed reading it. Hopefully you can find some info about previous owners that will help explain some of these things. Give us an up-date if you find anything!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: