You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Black Silhouette - Poltergeist?

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Silhouette - Poltergeist?

 

When I was a freshman in college, I lived in a dorm on campus. My side of the dorm room was the farthest back, closest to the window and my roommate's side was closest to the door. My bed was placed in the corner towards the left of the window and approximately two feet above my head was a single shelf. It was the week before school started and my roommate had not moved in yet, as this week held an optional program to help incoming freshman get adjusted to life as a college student.

Ironically, one night, shortly days after taking a night tour of the campus and hearing ghost stories of different buildings, I went back to my dorm room and got situated into bed to sleep. I had locked the door, turned off all of the lights and laid down on my back with my face to the ceiling. After lying there for several minutes with my eyes closed, I suddenly felt very disturbed and couldn't shake the feeling. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to find a dark shadow in the silhouette of a person peering down at me from the shelf above my head. The figure was coming out of the wall but only half of its body was exposed. I was very perplexed and peered around the small room to see what object was making this type of shadow.

At night, light from outside of my window shone into the room so I reached up to tap the shade to see what the light was shining on to create such a shadow but nothing changed - the figure stared down at me unmoving. I closed my eyes and threw the covers over my head and was convinced that I was seeing things. I rubbed my eyes and to reassure myself. I slowly pulled the covers down over my head and the figure was still there, in the same position. I became frightened and threw the covers back over my head. I was wide awake and was frozen in place. I thought I was going crazy, so to make sure I was not insane, I looked one last time. The figure switched from looking down at me from the shelf to coming out of the wall my bed was next to. There was no facial features or clothing characteristics, just a solid black figure. I threw the covers over my head one last time and concentrated on falling asleep and to my surprise, I did not wake up until the next morning.

I never saw the black figure again, but I believe this "thing" made its presence known one last time to me, two months later. I was alone, again, in my dorm room, getting ready to go out for the evening. I was standing in the center of the room, in between the door and the back wall. I was about six feet away from the wall when suddenly a poster flew across the room, as if someone had ripped it down and threw it towards me. I know the poster did not fall on its own as I had just recently securely taped it up with masking tape. I immediately grabbed my purse and left.

I never experienced any paranormal events again. My roommate never experienced any sort of paranormal event while living in the dorm room. I have decided that I am going to research this and try to find out if there is a history concerning that room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ItsMsRoxy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

unkown12 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Black figures get asssoicated with the 'shadow men' which arent friendly so I heard your story reminded me of black 'blobls' I would see sometimes not whole figures but that could be my eyesight lol anyway thankz for posting it was a good story
Charisse (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Hello All,
This was my first personal encounter. Happenned last Sun morning - approx 4.30-5am, I was getting ready for bed in my bf's new apartment. We were busy unpacking and cleaning up the place before bedtime. It was my 2nd night over at his place. 1st night was OK - maybe it was because I took some Piritons before sleep, I was worried that I couldn't fall asleep in a new place. So it was a peaceful sleep, first night.

2nd night came - approx 4.30-5am,when I was getting ready for sleep, slept on my side (right facing the window), it took me awhile to sleep, so I was tossing and turning. THen 10mins after, I was quite certain, I was still wide awake - I saw the black phantom - of a man, a skinny one, looked bald but no facial features, not attired - it was black, total black - looming over me - as it was trying to go on top of me. I got no tingles or goosebumps, just afraid. I couldn't move, I couldn't scream - tried to but some "unseen force" was holding me down. I knew my boyfriend was still snoring away, by my side. Then I whispered some prayers - hoping it would go away and it did. Closed and opened my eyes again and waited if it appeared again - it didn't. Then somehow, I fell asleep until the morning.

I am 89% sure that it wasn't a dream. It didn't feel like a dream at that point of time and after. You would know it's a dream if it was right? I didn't feel as if I have woken up from a dream or sleep that's for sure. I felt as I was wide awake all the time.

PLease tell what it was I was seeing...!

My boyfriend just think I was exhausted and slipped into a conscious dream...

PS: Strange thing - it spoke to me in my ex-husband's voice I think and it said "this is what you get for cheating on me"...something like that. I was quite certain it was my ex's voice, BUT he's not dead yet. All I felt was guilt at that point of time, beside fearing the black thing.

I am still asking myself it it was all a dream - which didn't feel like a dream at all.
mike8887 (3 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-29)
I know how it is to become nervous by that kind of stuff while laying in bed. Its not really that fun, huh. Hey, although black has been associated with evil since the beginning of time, don't assume that its really a bad thing. That's just an association.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
I find it interesting that this college has a night tour that points out the "haunted" houses and dorms. Interesting. What college is this? Perhaps if other colleges (I happen to know that Notre Dame has been reported as having a few life impaired persons hanging around, and it is but a forty-five minute drive from here) had these types of tours, more people would be interested in attending.
The lamp shade was right above your head? Just as the shelf unit was about two foot above your head? I find it truly amazing that you would reach your unprotected hand above your head to tap on the shade (If I read and re-read your story correctly, it SOUNDS as if this is near the same location as the sight of the Shadow), in the direct line of this thing, but huddled beneath the covers in the "If I can not see it, it can not see me" stance that most of us use in such situations.
I can not help but to wonder if this was a sighting brought on by the tour. If you had been thinking on it as you lay there to slip into sleep, it is possible that your mind manufactured the sight to go along with your train of thought.
The poster secured with masking tape IS interesting, but I have to say, at times things have appeared to been ripped off of my children's walls, and in actuality either the force of the air unit shoving air, or taking air, from the room causes it to seemingly fly. When placing said items in different locations, there does not seem to be that same "push" up the wall that causes the tape to loosen. It is aerodynamics, to a degree. Without knowing a thing about your heating/cooling system, it would be difficult to determine if this was a contributing factor.
Thank you.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
ms roxy yeah I have same problem not the college but home one time I was 18 and I had my own trailer first time live there I seen hooded figure I am sure since I find out what it was it may had been shadow person that look like a hooded figure, yes I did pulled cover over me until I peek like you did and it was still there so I cover back and gone to sleep until morning for work.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
pretty scary... If that happens to me either I wet my pants or I faint... Thanks for sharing the story. 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
Hello ItsMsRoxy. I'm not here to say whether your experience was real or imagined, it was your experience and you know what happened. I would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. First do you think that it could have been you taking the ghost tour that put the idea in your head and you were having a "waking dream"? Second question, when all this started happening why didn't you turn on the light? Third and final question, how could you (or anybody) after experiencing something of this nature, even think of going to sleep?

Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
School can be scary enough but ghosts with school... I guess that can be close to hell 😆.I'm just kidding. I believe that this was a spirit that couldn't manifest fully. That may be the reason why you could only see half of it. But indeed this wasa very scary experience. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-25)
I have some experience with shadow people and know them to be the most irritating of phantoms, solely because you never know if you're actually seeing them or if your eyes are just playing tricks on you. I went through a stage of seeing them a lot, but could never decide (and still haven't decided to this day) whether it was my imagination or they were really there.

I can't say I've ever thrown the covers over my head to hide from them 😆 normally my hand shoots out of it's own accord, heading straight for the bedside lamp, which seems to be quite succesful in banishing them!
Ahimsa (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-24)
MsRoxy- I have never seen a shadow person before, but if I opened my eyes at night and saw a black figure coming out of my wall, I'm sure I would have wet my pants! 😨
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
I have a question if you don't mind me asking. What college did you attend? They are many ghosts at the college that I attended and had plenty of run ins with a few of them. So has many of my friends that attended the same place.
Nevadaghosthunter (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Dear Roxy,
I often wonder why we haunted people throw covers over our heads (although I do it too) I guess in our frightened state we think they are some sort of ghost kevlar or something.
I feel your fear though. Shadow people are frightening!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: